Thread: Obvious boosting

Obvious boosting

Thumbs Down Obvious boosting

I was perusing the player match leaderboards today, and saw that the guy in 1st place has over 130k points. "Wow!" I thought, "That guy is rocking some people's worlds!" So I go to individual maps to see where he got it. He had over 110k on the map Islands of Solomon. I understand that it's only player matches, and maybe I shouldn't even be upset enough to start this thread. But it does bother me a bit, and I was wondering, can we get this guy's score erased, or would the whole leaderboards have to be erased. I don't want the whole leaderboards to be erased, as my friend and I are kinda competing for highest score.

Do you mean he got 110k in one match? Or that he got 110k from matches played in solomon islands. I don't think it'll be deleted, and you never know, he might have got those points legit.

How does having 110k points on one map warrant a "booster"...?
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    -General George S. Patton

You should never be upset by someone's score in a video game!
    "The next world is the true life"

"She's had it!!"

It's quite possible to get 10k points a match.

11-13 matches since the game has been out.

He's a very hands on player, I guess.

On the individual map leaderboards, that is supposed to show the best score for any single match - in order to get 110k points, team B would have idle most of their units, and send over one unit at a time to team A with free fire off so they could get slaughtered one at a time - respawning units over and over to rack up points. There is simply no way that in a regular match someone could score that many points.

who knows, this person could have had time on their hands, not to mention be good at scoring points. And be very fortunate in several matches. Its the luck of the draw. Hence motivation to go up by leaps and bounds and get the top spot yourself.

Originally Posted by warhawk21114
    who knows, this person could have had time on their hands, not to mention be good at scoring points. And be very fortunate in several matches. Its the luck of the draw. Hence motivation to go up by leaps and bounds and get the top spot yourself.

the thing is it wasn't several matches - if it shows 110k in the map leaderboard, thats ONE MATCH. 110k... in one single match. One sitting. A single play session. 10k is very possible. 15k.. with some luck and a clueless opposing team. 20k is beginning to be a stretch. The "overall" player match leaderboard shows cumulative stats, so those numbers can easily be very high, but not the individual map boards.

don't worry about it. He boosted, ignore his score. I compare with friends anyway :P people I know dont boost.

This is why there's 'Player Match' and there's 'Ranked Match'. You can't invite friends into Ranked Match specifically so you can't do this sort of thing (or at least it's harder to do). As soon as it became clear that there were Player Match leaderboards, it should have been immidately obvious that people would fix games to get a top score. To expect anything less is naive.

If that score isn't it, then it's just a matter of time before someone has the patience to play a match where they destroy every single plane, ship, and sub on the other team to completely max out the possible points on a map. If you want to avoid those fixed scores, play in Ranked matches. ;^)

Corvall

Just got the game, noticed on most of the map leaderboards there are a few players with a very high score. Like number 20 to 4 score between 8500 to 9000 points. Number 1, 2 and 3 are between 25.000 and 30.000 points. Guess this is also due to "boosting" (haven't checked ranked game leaderboard yet)?

Where can I find how the scoring system works? How many points do you get for what?

Even in ranked matches you can fix it. Your friend can join to your server.

This sort of thing happens in every game, tbh it takes it a real loser to want to artificially boost their score, so why be bothered by a losers activities?

Lets say you were playing in a foorball game, and right next to you there was another pitch with another game going on,

You look across and see the other guys take turns at putting the ball in the net while the goalie stands idly picking his nose leaning against the goalpost.

So they rack up a score of 500 goals in the game.

Would it bother you? Or would you shake your head in bafflement and wonder what the hell they got out of it?

When I play a game I play to relax, unwind, have a few laffs, my score is never a reflection of how much I enjoyed the game.

Let it go, chill, just enjoy your own game and if that's what floats his boat, let 'em have their fun

why this game has a ranking system for player matches is simply beyond me

Originally Posted by Muddled Muppet
    This sort of thing happens in every game, tbh it takes it a real loser to want to artificially boost their score, so why be bothered by a losers activities?
    Because it makes the whole point of Leaderboards pointless. The issue isn't the fact that these people are boosting so much as the impact it has on the Leaderboards feature of the game, and the fact that there is nothing in place to prevent it. Sure all games are plagued by cheaters of some sort and boosting is harder to combat than modding. Halo 2 is also heavily plagued by boosting and has no in game mechanic to prevent it, but the developers did at least incorporate a decent tracking system with that game that allowed them to ban many boosters, but they still had to reset the matchmaking leaderboards twice because of the fallout it caused. With BS: Midway there is no tracking system and no way to prove so-and-so may be boosting.

"............it makes the whole point of leaderboards pointless"

Can't help but agree with you there

Nah I know some peeps like them and that's fair enuff, each to their own etc, but tbh I can't see any system in any game ever evolving to the point where it eliminates boosting. People will always do that. It would only bother me if I was in the top 100 or summat, and had a chance of being nearer the top, and if I was that high I would want to see how I compared in ranked games anyway.

Not too sure how the whole leaderboard thing works tbh, had a look yesterday, (to compare freinds) and all my m8s were above me for individual maps, yet I was top for overall, weird.

Also, is it just an accumulation of points? ie if someone played longer/more times would they eventually reach top by virtue of how long they been plying?

I am glad that they included Leaderboards on both ranked and unranked.

While Boosters will exist in any game for those of us that just compare between friends it is a great feature.

I am also glad that none of the Achievements are tied to being "Top of Leaderboard" in any way as that just adds to the boosting.

I hope none are like what they do with like 1000 kills and crap. Those are just stupid. I mean, "Hey Honey I just got the 'I have no life acheivement'!". "That's nice Bill". "Honey, my name's (insert your name here), Bill's the pool boy... WAIT A MINUTE?!!"
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999
    http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...ilies/Thud.gif

Lol I've played the guy in first place serveral times and beat him hes not that good to what the leaderboard makes him out to be. The leaderboard is just like you said, most of the players at the top have fixed matches to get them.