Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Why does the BB range SUCK?

Why does the BB range SUCK?

Why does the BB range SUCK?

Ookay. A question for someone who can (or someone who can't) give me an answer..

Why does the BB range suck? Why, in a Yamato, do I need to close to within 1.8 kilometers of a target to hit it? That makes absolutely no sense to me--none. I should be able to hit another BB well, WELL inside my visual range and beyond..I shouldn't have to be humping it to hit it with a high-angle salvo. o_o!

That is the only dissappointing thing I've run into about this game..I want to be able to nail another BB the moment I see it on the horizon..Not when I can see people walking around on it's deck..
    ô_o WTF is NavyFIELD? And who the hell is this Barrett guy?

well else u can shoot everything from the start... and u wouldent even need to move... thats not much strategy now is it?

Well, an example of what I'm talking about.

There's a mission in single player where you play as the Yorktown and you have to take down the Fuso. The Fuso is WELL WITHIN visual range the entire time--virtual spitting distance..and it can't even fire a shot..

Bigger maps and faster aircraft-to-target transit times would fix the "blast everything in sight" nonesense. If a carrier can realistically pounce on targets BVR, why can't a BB?

You wouldn't instantly be able to kill anything BVR because you'd have to scout for it..

Which brings me to another point--more of a question then a point. Can the BBs launch scouts? I haven't found a way--and it'd be really awesome if they could..

Not to mention every shipyard/airstrip being blown to rubble in the first seconds of every match.

With how long it takes the shells to reach their targets in this game, all but stationary targets would be extremely hard to hit.

i think they made the time of the shell traveling more realistic then the range... and with the range they should have made bigger maps... and then it would take even LONGER to fly/land planes

i think the game u are looking for is destroyer command and nowon wants to play the range contest.

"even LONGER to fly/land planes"

Which is why I said "faster transit times"..I'm not fully convinced that the speed relative to the distances is accurate. 40 knots in that PT boat seems awefully slow.

If the vehicle speeds and gun ranges reflected real life this would be one of the most boring games ever. Frankly, I don't feel like playing for a full day just to get to the middle of the map. If you really want that, go play Silent Hunter 3 without using the time compression, then in 3 or 4 days when you've completed the first mission, come back here and tell us what you prefer.

There can always be mods (although is this game modable?), but we also need bigger maps for realistic ranges. The only naval simulator I have played is Silent Hunter III (excellent, btw) with the Grey Wolves mod. You can watch famous ships duke it out in long range duels.

LoL this is a game stupid nerd not a similator. A realistic game is unplayable since u would take 3 hours to fly ur planes to ur targets and one kamikaze would sink a carrier but lets not go there for the sake of game play.

And BB dont suck at all, it is almost impossible to engage a BB with anything less than a heavy cruiser cuz BB's slight range advantage already allows them to sink any ship before they get in range. One barrage from BB can bring a cruiser down to half hp before cruiser get in range so BB is overpowered in the hand of a good player.

for pete's sake don't you people think the developers know that a battleship can fire more than 1 mile?

With how some people nitpick SOOO much about the realism of this game it makes me wonder how they can stand to play any other game.

OH MAN it's so fake, Mario breaks bricks with his heads and a tortoise can kill him!!! so fake so fake so fake so fake!!!

It's all about balance.
    "The next world is the true life"

"She's had it!!"

its all about balance. the maps are too small to allow for real engagements
    compared to other ships ( even compared to USN BB'S) the Kongo has a great range.
    so the game doesnt suffer. unless they add smoke stacks to the ships that can be seen from miles away and make the maps 20 times bigger they wont be able to make a simulation of naval combat. what they have done is quite an avhievement i think.

What exactly...

Would the real ranges be? anyone know exactly?

Originally Posted by Theaus
    Would the real ranges be? anyone know exactly?
    most BB had a range of 15 to 20 miles. I remeber my Grandfather who was on a CA telling me that they engaged the Tokyo express 8 miles and that was a night action.

Time of flight for AP Shell with MV = 2,500 fps (762 mps)
    10,000 yards (9,140 m): 13.2 seconds
    20,000 yards (18,290 m): 29.6 seconds
    30,000 yards (27,430 m): 50.3 seconds
    36,000 yards (32,920 m): 66.1 seconds
    40,000 yards (36,580 m): 80.0 seconds

the longest hit from a moving ship to a moving target is over 26000 yards. credited to HMS Warspite.

Originally Posted by Aiserou
    If the vehicle speeds and gun ranges reflected real life this would be one of the most boring games ever. Frankly, I don't feel like playing for a full day just to get to the middle of the map. If you really want that, go play Silent Hunter 3 without using the time compression, then in 3 or 4 days when you've completed the first mission, come back here and tell us what you prefer.

lol, understand, but i dont think he meant "that" realistic. i think he has a point with bigger maps. just a tad bigger.

btw i hate the MP map where you have to protect that strait. there's no reason to move any of your ships around the islands for a flank move because by the time they get around, the japanese players have already plunged thier entire fleet right up the middle. torps do barely any damage, so whats the point of only PT boats from the shipyards in that level?

thanks to the enemies being kinda clueless. we sent wave after wave of pt's after their 2 battleships.... 37 boats, and 20 something planes later we won! lol.

Originally Posted by ramp4ge
    Well, an example of what I'm talking about.

There's a mission in single player where you play as the Yorktown and you have to take down the Fuso. The Fuso is WELL WITHIN visual range the entire time--virtual spitting distance..and it can't even fire a shot..

Bigger maps and faster aircraft-to-target transit times would fix the "blast everything in sight" nonesense. If a carrier can realistically pounce on targets BVR, why can't a BB?

You wouldn't instantly be able to kill anything BVR because you'd have to scout for it..

Which brings me to another point--more of a question then a point. Can the BBs launch scouts? I haven't found a way--and it'd be really awesome if they could..
    That doesn't fix anything... what is the point of making bigger maps just so you can make everything faster and have a higher range?
    It kind of cancels out the entire process...

lol,maybe ur just bad at the game

lol ramp4ge, i play NF too. i understand what u mean. when i first played i found the range extremely short!

I recall the Missourim (i think) during the golf war lobbing shells at 16 miles easy.

Question

And wasn't the warspite builtn in 1913 as a queen elizabeth class? rather outdated...

I recall the Missourim (i think) during the golf war lobbing shells at 16 miles easy.
    Read the post it says

the longest hit from a moving ship to a moving target is over 26000 yards. credited to HMS Warspite
    Not only was Missoury stationary but allso shooting at land based targets that dont move.

And wasn't the warspite builtn in 1913 as a queen elizabeth class? rather outdated...
    Rather outdated?

lets look at her career.

She was built in 1913.
    the QE class was the first Fast battleships ever made. First to have Bulge armour and first to have 15" guns.

She was at the battle of Jutland. At a crucial moment in the battle, as the two enormous fleets approached one another, the Warspite's steering gear broke down completely, and she turned circles under heavy fire from no fewer than seven German battleships. Onlookers called it 'Windy Corner', for they were certain that she was about to be sunk, but the gallant Warspite emerged with all guns firing, and full of fight. She took 13 hits. when they repaired her rudder damage she joined up with the rest of the fleet and continued fighting until she was order to withdraw due to her damage (13 hits is quite allot).

During WW2 she took part in the second battle of narvik. she was the flagship in the Mediterranean. She stayed afloat though countless bombing attacks. She took on two Italian modern battleships on her own (the two other battleships she was with were slower then she was and could not catch up with her during this battle)

At Cape Mattapan she in affect put the end to the Italian navy presences in the med.

She is credited with the longest ranged shot on a moving target at sea.

She served in the Indian ocean to track down and sink the jap fleet that attacked pearl harbour (the japs left the Indian ocean before the RN found them)

She took heavy damage by a glider bomb and almost sunk.

She bombarded, Crete, Scilly, Italy, Normandy.

She was Sent to scrap in 1947 but run aground so was unable to be sent to the scrap yard and had to be taken apart over the next 3 years institute.

See earned 25 battle honours. (enterprise only earned 20)

She was the best Ship the Royal navy ever had. it was a shame she was scraped.

When she was created she was the most powerful ship in the world.
    When she was scraped she was considered to be among them still.

So no, she was not out dated. She was in her prime.

Any community, whether its roots draw life from the ocean, or whether it only has a promenade facing the high water, would be honoured to lay claim to such a ship whose destiny was to be at the pivotal point of ideology clashes throughout the world, thereby being in action and an influence on world changing events, emerging with a singularly impressive history, aura and dogged determination to survive. Having engaged in deadly battle in many spheres of operation, suffering damage on several occasions, she ended her working life surviving seemingly against all odds, and despite her enemies' best endeavours to end her career early by any means at their disposal, would choose to lay up on the foreshore hauling down her colours for the last time, entrusting her spirit and those of her fallen crew and shipmates into safekeeping for all time. A true Icon for all time.

Can't top that...

Well... was thinking about posting a response here, but cpt.sharp's post can't be topped and seems like a fitting way to bring this thread to a close.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last