Thread: 1up.com review

1up.com review

Bah, anyone who gives this game less than 8 is off their rocker.
    "The next world is the true life"

"She's had it!!"

This is why I only read reviews from Gamespot. If a critic likes only action games, will they give a favorable review to a strategy game? No.

THE FIRST THING YOU LEARN AS A CRITIC: It's not whether you agree with the idea or not, but how the article is constructed, and if the article accomplishes its goal.

Places like IGN and 1up do not do this. Let them be horrible critics.

what divine said.

BSM unimpressive looking?

F U 1down!

they dont like the mix of action and strategy? what losers... their just sad because an older tactical dude (or me?) whooped them in a strategy game, sad.

their articles are crap... their website is unimpressive, and they have been around for a long time! HA BEAT THAT 1up! lol
    and they are too stupid to control units! LOL, this games control scheme is easy as halo!
    do these smacktards even know what videogames are? guess not... all they know is @#@#CRUNK SMASH!@!@ i guess all those drugs slowed their speed down, if its hard for them to remember plane controls, ship controls and sub controls.

BSM dev team, we love you, lol... and weve only played the demo... just shows how great this game will be.

I can't get behind Greg Sewart. He has the games he likes and if the game he is reviewing isn't one of those he snides it.

IGN's review was pretty well written.

A reviewer needs to take the item for what it is. A food critic isn't going to say this would taste better if it was chicken, so why do so many game reviewers resort to this?

I used to use reviews to base my buying off of, but since buying my first xbox, I read reviews to learn tidbits of the game before it's out.

i play demos/rent the game and talk to other players before i buy a game... listeing to some idiot whos paid by EA to say whatever doesnt work...

i bet if BSM was made by EA, it would have a 9.9...

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    This IS the same company that had the NWN2 review pulled because they bashed it. 7.0 is listed as good but I have to say it deserved better.

Look I read Reviews and I do use it in my decision making process when buying a game. As you all know there are a lot of crap games out there and they cost a lot money so I think reviews help out a lot. Know as for this game it has a demo so then you can make up your own mind. I think this guy just got overwhelmed buy the learning curve. I did my first time playing the demo. Now that I know how to use my units and know how to prioritize my time I think it's a blast. As for the looks of the game it could be better but what people need to remember is the ocean is a pretty bland back drop for a game there isn't much you can do to it. Blue sky and water what do you want from them.

I like IGN and Gamespot. I take what they say into advice. but I never go to 1up that site is a joke

Originally Posted by xIGuNDoCIx

that's a full game review? probably the worst review(in general) i have ever read. whoever that stewart guy is, he doesnt belong in journalism.

Reviews

I think this guy came up on more losing sides than winning. Really only two types of controls to learn: flying or floating. Now as to the efficiacy of reviews, consider this, we respect movie, food, tv, and book reviews. Think about the relative purchase of these items. $10, $5-$20 (if eating alone), free (except cable, but couple bucks a day), and <$10. Video games $60. If I see a bad movie, I just forget it. I get a bad meal, don't go to that restaurant again. Bad book, juts put it down. But anything I spend that kinda money on, I feel obligated to play, at least a little. It's what makes reading a bad review so much fun (when the reviewer takes delight in tearing a lame game to shreds) knowing that you didn't have to sink 10 hours into something trying to get your money's worth out. Of course that's whats so good about demos

What I think you guys who have posted don't quite get is that 1up has to have reviews for everyone, not just strategy gamers. We love this game just as much as any of the cookie-cutter shooters, but we're going to be in the minority, because the game doesn't have the blow-your-socks-off appeal of, say, Halo 2. It was the same with LOTR: BFME2, which was a fantastic game if you like RTS, but which most gamers couldn't get into because of the controls.
    Proud member of www.seasonedgamers.com: gaming for grown-ups, gaming as it should be

Originally Posted by TinPeregrinus
    What I think you guys who have posted don't quite get is that 1up has to have reviews for everyone, not just strategy gamers. We love this game just as much as any of the cookie-cutter shooters, but we're going to be in the minority, because the game doesn't have the blow-your-socks-off appeal of, say, Halo 2. It was the same with LOTR: BFME2, which was a fantastic game if you like RTS, but which most gamers couldn't get into because of the controls.

I kinda disagree here, I don't think reviews should be for everyone, just fans of a particular genre. e.g. i see a five star review for a soccer game, says its the best soccer game ever, won't make me want to buy it, coz i don't like soccer games.

A review should be based on what it is, not what the reviewer wants it to be. it should be professional, objective, and any subjective comments clearly shown to be just that.

ergo strategy games that have a lot more calculations under the bonnet shouldn't have to compare with the graphics of halo 3, cos SOMETHING has to give, wether in developmental time Vs smaller user base (lets face it no strategy game will ever sell like the big boys) or wether it's the CPU horsepower needed to calculate everything as well as gloss.

I do think B|M has shot themselves in the foot with the amount of tutorials needed to play thru, (from what i've read so far) and that is definately worthy of comment, at the end of the day anyone with an interest in a game with a demo is foolish to let a reviewer change their mind either way with subjective opinion, however objective comment on stability, excessive loading times, all that kinda stuff should be in every review.

I'll stop now

Originally Posted by TinPeregrinus

i got sick of it, because all you were doing was creating units constantly, you didnt even have time to enjoy the battles.

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    Don't get me started on the Halo series; esp Halo 2..

I don't know about anyone else but the review, to me, felt a bit lacking. So much more could have been written but either wasn't or was edited out and that is ashame.

Crap review.
    That's if you can call it a review!!

Wow, that review took him a good 10 minutes to write... probably after a couple hours of playing the game. It is probably one of the most lame impressions I've read in a while. I dont even know how he fit the 7.0 to his almost one page piece of writing--no kidding.

Can it be more obvious when someone has been given an assignment they did not want to do?

I think it's clear that the reviewer did not spend enough time with the game... A shame really but it won't keep me from picking this up tomorrow.

From my discussions, it seems the majority of people fall under the following three categories:

1. Loved it from the get-go

2. Thought it sucked at first and then came to love it

3. Hate it from the get-go, mainly because "I'm a graphics whore and I can't be bothered to think"...

Guess which category the reviewer belongs to...