Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: "The Zero Killer"

"The Zero Killer"

"The Zero Killer"

Im new here and I was watching Dogfights on the history channel. I was wondering if the Hellcat is in the game. If it's not in the game, the game is still fantastic and I'll be picking this up on tuesday.

According to the official site Hellcat is not in the game. I think the general idea was to portray the war up to the battle of Midway (hence the name, I guess). Post '42 weapons are not included - guess they are waiting for the expansion pack

Originally Posted by PaNzEr 29
    Im new here and I was watching Dogfights on the history channel. I was wondering if the Hellcat is in the game. If it's not in the game, the game is still fantastic and I'll be picking this up on tuesday.
    This has been mentioned before, it will certainly not be in the game to start with (wrong timeframe) but as no one knows what will be in the dlc you can never be too sure about that!

Originally Posted by PaNzEr 29
    dogfights is such an awesome show.

thanks for answering. So im guessing no Helldivers to.

Planes I'd love to see are... Ki-84 Frank, Ki-43 Oscar, F6F Hellcat, and F4U Corsair! These were the classic planes of my Airwarrior 3 days anyway. I was terrible at flying the Corsair, but it just wouldn't be the Pacific Theater without the F4U.

P-38 wouldn't be so bad either

the Thunderbolt is in though, right? The Jug is an awesome aircraft. Heaviest Fighter in WWII (2.5 Tons, the same weight as a B-17G ). Could also out-dive and outrun any prop-driven aircraft of the war. Could also take more of a beating than the "Zero Killer"

Originally Posted by Samsonov
    According to the official site Hellcat is not in the game. I think the general idea was to portray the war up to the battle of Midway (hence the name, I guess). Post '42 weapons are not included - guess they are waiting for the expansion pack
    And yet, in game, it owns the Zero in game? LOL. It's True. Also sis you see Long Odds? That was AWSOME!!!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999
    http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...ilies/Thud.gif

well, the game is balanced... i shoot down zeros all the time in my wildcat... actually, this game is a little unbalanced... zeros are too easy to shoot down (definatly not a complaint)

Originally Posted by Alpha Wolfgang
    well, the game is balanced... i shoot down zeros all the time in my wildcat... actually, this game is a little unbalanced... zeros are too easy to shoot down (definatly not a complaint)
    Hellcats should be getting shot down left and right by the Zero.

Originally Posted by DarkTau
    Hellcats should be getting shot down left and right by the Zero.
    your kidding right? the hellcat is a superior fighter, no doubts. it dives and climbs faster, has heavier armament, more armor.... zeros on the other hand..... they come apart like wet cardboard after one .50 cal burst. the zero has a well deserved reputation for being the most fragile carrier fighter of the war.

Dogfights on the History Channel must be the MOST biased TV show I have watched in a long time. Has there been a single episode where Americans do not shoot down their opponents left and right? Nope! Instead, they have Wildcats and Hellcats shooting down Zeros like crazy. And the show completely neglects to do an episode on some of the Japanese aces who, mind you, had many times the kills that the Americans had. Same goes for the Germans.

For every American hero, the Japanese, Germans, Vietnamese, also had one and they get completely neglected.

Originally Posted by DarkTau
    the Thunderbolt is in though, right? The Jug is an awesome aircraft. Heaviest Fighter in WWII (2.5 Tons, the same weight as a B-17G ). Could also out-dive and outrun any prop-driven aircraft of the war. Could also take more of a beating than the "Zero Killer"
    you might want to check out the Ta152h,while i cant say for sure in a dive but outrun the ta152h - sorry the p47 any model losses.diff theater of the war but you said of any prop plane in the war.

Originally Posted by unurkan
    Dogfights on the History Channel must be the MOST biased TV show I have watched in a long time. Has there been a single episode where Americans do not shoot down their opponents left and right? Nope! Instead, they have Wildcats and Hellcats shooting down Zeros like crazy. And the show completely neglects to do an episode on some of the Japanese aces who, mind you, had many times the kills that the Americans had. Same goes for the Germans.

For every American hero, the Japanese, Germans, Vietnamese, also had one and they get completely neglected.
    Well considering it's a program on an American channel it's showing exactly what it should. If you want to see the other countries represented, go to their respective History Channels. Oh, wait, there are none

Now take your trolling political correctness whines back under your rock.

Originally Posted by GruntenSquat
    Well considering it's a program on an American channel it's showing exactly what it should. If you want to see the other countries represented, go to their respective History Channels. Oh, wait, there are none

Just because the History channel is an American channel, does not mean they have to paint a biased, incorrect picture. A lot of people who do not have an in depth knowledge of history get a completely lopsided idea of what really happend.

Originally Posted by GruntenSquat

The history channel in the uk shows 90% american shows

I think the show does a good job. They are showing American pilots and in the last one british pilots in action. There are not to many aces left from the axis contries that can tell there story.

I hope they expand the game with XBL. I'd love to see some Iowa class ships from later on in the war . Particularly the USS Missouri.

Of course it's focused on Americans

Unurkan,

What about the Dogfights episode about the Israeli pilots? Not a single American pilot to be seen.

I love arguments like this - it's an show made in America, why shouldn't it concentrate on Americans? Wouldn't you expect a show made in Japan to focus on the Japanese?

Sorry we provide most of the entertainment for the world...

Scot

Originally Posted by unurkan

maybe because unlike the axis powers who had the "fly till you die" rule, the allies would rotate skilled pilots back to the states to train rookies. that is why the highest scoring german pilot was somewhere in the 300s, while the highest scoring USN pilot had 34. the result was that the noobs who went into battle had all the knowledge gained in battle first hand by their instructor. they would not make the same mistakes he did, and would know what to expect. the wildcats had a 2:1 kill ratio over the zero, and the hellcats had a 19:1 kill ratio over the zero making it the most succesful ever carrier fighter. looking at those numbers, it seems that americans really did shoot down jap planes left and right.

Zero killer

The zekes saw most of its success during early part of the war. During the Chinese Campaign up to the Midway. During early part of Pacific campaign, American fighters and pilots were often outmatched by the experience of Japanese pilots and the superiority of the zeke. By 42, most of the very best Japanese pilots have already been lost. In the case of the Zeros, without an aggressive and experience pilots, the lack of cockpit and fueltank protection makes them a easy kill. As for the famed wilddcats and the far superior Hellcats, there is no question that the Wildcats were equal if not better vs the zeke. Excellent speed, crusing and range made the wildcats perfect for the Pacific theater. The Hellcats was by far the best carrier fighter during WW2. An additional point, I may not be right with this number, but I think there were a nemurical adventage of Wildcats vs the Zeke. In most conflict post 42, American fighters ruled the sky of the Pacific in terms of numbers and experience.

As for [U]Dogfight[U], Im sure they will get around doing some of the famous Japanese and German aces and their fights. Sabaru Sakai for example was an amazing Japanese Ace. He lost one eye and severaly injured his back, and yet survived the war. He served in both the chinese campaign and ww2. The greatest honor we can give to all those who served WW2 is to remember not how many plane they shot down, but for their courage and resolve. They were ALL defending their homeland, American, Japanese, Germans, Russians, Chinese.... all were heros during a terrible time.

It's not good to get into arguments over what shows from what country shows what. I am sure...absolutely sure...that there are shows in foriegn nations that concentrate on thier own victories and defeats. It's amazing sometimes the amount of T.V. Shows where we...as Americans..look back and say "Hey..we really screwed up there.". It's not all about us prancing around thinking we won WWII all by ourselves. There are shows that dive deeply into the military minds of opposing Generals. Many shows paint them as geniuses such as Yamamoto and Rommel.

We also look at the things we did wrong in the wars of years gone by. There are still debates about the Atomic Bomb. Just as there are probably shows in Japan that point out the horrifc atrocities they carried out against all nations inside thier area of operations such as slaughtering unarmed combatants like Nurses, Doctors, Civilians with Bayonets and firing squads. The massive rape gangs that terrorized China. They probably have shows like that, but they also probably celebrate thier victories they had at the beginning and the bigger then life military personnel who became legends. To take an agenda out on a nation for celebrating its heroes is, in the end, hypocritical as all nations celebrate their heroes with informative television programming.

Straight from Wikipedia

"The Wildcat was outperformed by the Mitsubishi Zero, its major opponent in the early part of the Pacific Theater, but held its own by absorbing far more damage. [2] With relatively heavy armor and self-sealing fuel tanks, the Grumman airframe could survive far more than its lightweight, unarmored Japanese rival. Many US Navy fighter pilots also were saved by the F4F's ZB homing device, which allowed them to find their carriers in poor visibility, provided they could get within the 30-mile range of the homing beacon. [3]"

"2. Saburo Sakai: "Zero"

"3. UBoat.net: ZB homing device"

Of course, I also just found this in Wikipedia under the Battle of Midway.
    NO JOKE!

"Japan had been highly successful in rapidly securing its initial sex aims, including the reduction of the *, the capture of Vagina and Anus, and the securing of the vital resource areas around the Clitoris, Oral Sex, and Anal Sex. As such, preliminary planning for a second phase of operations commenced as early as January 1942. However, due to strategic differences between the Imperial Army and Imperial Navy, as well as infighting between the Navy's GHQ and Admiral Yamamoto's Combined Fleet, the formulation of effective strategy was hampered, and the follow-on strategy was not finalized until April 1942.[6] At that time, Admiral Yamamoto had succeeded in winning a bureaucratic struggle that placed his operational concept β€” that of further operations in the Central Pacific β€” ahead of the other contending plans. These included operations either directly or indirectly aimed at Australia, as well as into the Indian Ocean. In the end, Yamamoto's barely-veiled threat to resign unless he got his way succeeded in carrying his agenda forward.[7]"

NO JOKE!

This is what Wilk had to say about Midway

Battle of Midway
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Battle of Midway
    Part of the Pacific Theater of World War II

U.S. Douglas SBD Dauntless dive bomber at Midway
    Date June 4–June 7, 1942
    Location near Midway Island
    Result Decisive American victory

Combatants
    United States Empire of Japan
    Commanders
    Chester W. Nimitz,
    Frank J. Fletcher,
    Raymond A. Spruance Isoroku Yamamoto,
    Chuichi Nagumo,
    Tamon Yamaguchi β€*
    Strength
    3 carriers,
    ~50 support ships,
    233 carrier aircraft,
    127 land-based aircraft 4 carriers,
    7 battleships,
    ~150 support ships,
    248 carrier aircraft,
    16 floatplanes
    Casualties
    1 carrier sunk,
    1 destroyer sunk,
    307 killed 4 carriers sunk,
    1 cruiser sunk,
    228 aircraft destroyed,[1]3,057 killed
    Pacific campaigns 1941-42
    Pearl Harbor – Thailand – Malaya – Wake – Hong Kong – Philippines – Dutch East Indies – New Guinea – Singapore – Australia – Indian Ocean – Doolittle Raid – Solomons – Coral Sea – Midway
    Pacific Ocean theater
    Midway – Solomon Islands – Aleutian Islands – Gilberts & Marshall Islands – Marianas & Palau Islands – Volcano & Ryukyu Islands
    The Battle of Midway was a pivotal naval battle in the Pacific Theater of World War II. It took place from June 4 to June 7, 1942, approximately one month after the Battle of the Coral Sea, and six months after the Empire of Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor that had led to a formal state of war between the United States of America and Japan. During the battle, the United States Navy defeated a Japanese attack against Midway Atoll (located northwest of Hawaii) and destroyed four Japanese aircraft carriers and a heavy cruiser while losing a carrier and a destroyer.

The battle was a crushing defeat for the Japanese and is widely regarded as the most important naval battle of World War II. The battle permanently weakened the Japanese Navy, particularly the loss of over 200 naval aviators.[2] Strategically, the U.S. Navy was able to seize the initiative in the Pacific and go on the offensive.

The Japanese plan of attack, which included a secondary attack against the Aleutian Islands by a smaller fleet, was an attempt by the Japanese to lure America's few remaining carriers into a trap and sink them.[3] The Japanese also intended to occupy Midway Atoll to extend Japan's defensive perimeter further from its home islands. This operation was considered preparatory for further attacks against Fiji and Samoa, as well as the invasion of Hawai’i.[4]

Had the Japanese captured Midway, the northeastern Pacific Rim would have been essentially defenseless. Japanese success also would have removed the last capital ships in the U.S. Pacific Fleet, ensuring Japanese naval supremacy in the Pacific until perhaps late 1943. The Midway operation, like the attack on Pearl Harbor that had plunged the United States into war, was not part of a campaign for the conquest of the United States itself, but was aimed at its elimination as a strategic Pacific power, thereby giving Japan a free hand in establishing its Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. It was also hoped that another defeat would force the U.S. to negotiate an end to the Pacific War with conditions favorable for Japan.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last