Thread: Sub vs. Sub...Is this possible?

Sub vs. Sub...Is this possible?

Sub vs. Sub...Is this possible?

Right now if I try to hit a submerged sub with my sub's torpedoes they simply head to the surface and go over the top of the enemy's sub. Am I missing something or is there no way to actually hit a sub with another sub when they are both submerged?

Ram the enemy sub and as you collide fire your torps. Result = 1 shot kill

Effective means to get rid of a enemy sub.

Although they should add a option where you can use torps underwater so sub v sub be possible

I don't think they had tracking torpedos during WWII, so this wouldn't be realistic. The only way to take out another sub during this period would have been if the other sub was surfaced.

Yep

true..

There is a story bout a german Uboat commander, VS a british Sub...they had a fight, but they didnt fire torps at each other, they just used sonar to track each other, and collide with the other..

after a few hours of colliding into each other, the german sub was heaily damaged, and retreated, but so did the british sub...so there is no actual winner...

Originally Posted by ironeagle101
    true..

There is a story bout a german Uboat commander, VS a british Sub...they had a fight, but they didnt fire torps at each other, they just used sonar to track each other, and collide with the other..

after a few hours of colliding into each other, the german sub was heaily damaged, and retreated, but so did the british sub...so there is no actual winner...
    That's a cool story. Do you happend to know the names of the subs so I can look it up on the internet?

Are you referring to this?

http://www.navynews.co.uk/articles/2...0006112901.asp

It was on Timewatch a couple of weeks ago.

Originally Posted by Hell2pay
    I don't think they had tracking torpedos during WWII, so this wouldn't be realistic. The only way to take out another sub during this period would have been if the other sub was surfaced.
    The germans did use tracking torps but they were in very small numbers! But don't think the japs and americans had them.

On 9th February 1945 the German submarine U-864 was on its way from Germany to Japan via Norway when it sank, due to being torpedoed by the British submarine HMS Venturer. The U-864 was carrying mercury, lead, steel and other materials for the purpose of warfare. Old documents claim the submarine was holding cargo of about 65 tons of mercury, stored in steel-containers.

It is also beleaved that on November 11 1944. On Arctic patrol off the Lofoten Islands, HMS Venturer torpedoed U-771, which had been heading for Narvik

Google it and you will find loads of facts about it and the fact that the mercury is now leaking into the sea from U-864.

yes but what you are forgeting to mention is most, nearly all torps had depth gauges of varying realiability, you should be able to set a torp to go under a ships spine and detonate underneath then she will break in two, not on BB maybe on CA CL DD, all i know is in real life at the time they had a setting they could adjust from 0m depth to 20m depth, so surely if you were gd enough u cud sink a sub underwater

Originally Posted by Rafterman82
    yes but what you are forgeting to mention is most, nearly all torps had depth gauges of varying realiability, you should be able to set a torp to go under a ships spine and detonate underneath then she will break in two, not on BB maybe on CA CL DD, all i know is in real life at the time they had a setting they could adjust from 0m depth to 20m depth, so surely if you were gd enough u cud sink a sub underwater
    They could adjust the depth but torps of the time detonated on impact. only modern torps detonate under a ships keel!

Wow how many misconceptions in such a small thread.

- Even WW2 torpedos were designed to detonate under ship's keel. However, both Germans and US had problems with their magnetic fuses, so submariners oftenly used contact fuses, designed to detonate on contact with the hull - easier to work with but producing much less damage than when detonating under keel. Later on, as magnetic fuses became more reliable, they were used.

- There were lots of sub vs sub incidents, especially in Pacific. US sunk 10 or so Japanese subs overall, Japanese sunk only one US sub. Russian, German, Biritsh, Italian subs were also lost to enemy subs. They were ALL sunk while travelling on surface. Every single one of them.

- "Tracking torps". Germans pioneered their use but perhaps the best "tracking torp" was US Fido Mark 24 (do some Googling) which was specifically built as anti sumbarine torpedo and was very good at that. (But it was later in the war - 44-45). Fido could sink a sub while she was travelling underwater.

Originally Posted by Samsonov
    Wow how many misconceptions in such a small thread.

- Even WW2 torpedos were designed to detonate under ship's keel. However, both Germans and US had problems with their magnetic fuses, so submariners oftenly used contact fuses, designed to detonate on contact with the hull - easier to work with but producing much less damage than when detonating under keel. Later on, as magnetic fuses became more reliable, they were used.

- There were lots of sub vs sub incidents, especially in Pacific. US sunk 10 or so Japanese subs overall, Japanese sunk only one US sub. Russian, German, Biritsh, Italian subs were also lost to enemy subs. They were ALL sunk while travelling on surface. Every single one of them.

- "Tracking torps". Germans pioneered their use but perhaps the best "tracking torp" was US Fido Mark 24 (do some Googling) which was specifically built as anti sumbarine torpedo and was very good at that. (But it was later in the war - 44-45). Fido could sink a sub while she was travelling underwater.
    The magnetic fuse was secondary only! the size of the torps then ment they would not do much damage from below the keel, are you getting mixed up with magnetic mines?
    The simple fact is that all torpedoes used in WW2 used impact detonators!

Every single one was sunk on the surface apart from U-864 as people have said. HMS Venturer sunk her when they were both submerged. This is the only ever time a sub has sunk another sub underwater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Venturer_(P68))

Originally Posted by Cpt.sharp
    Every single one was sunk on the surface apart from U-864 as people have said. HMS Venturer sunk her when they were both submerged. This is the only ever time a sub has sunk another sub underwater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Venturer_(P68)
    Wow, nice find!

Originally Posted by andy3536
    The magnetic fuse was secondary only! the size of the torps then ment they would not do much damage from below the keel, are you getting mixed up with magnetic mines?
    The simple fact is that all torpedoes used in WW2 used impact detonators!
    Not all, after magnetic fuses became more reliable, magnetic fuses were used.

Originally Posted by I3laze
    On 9th February 1945 the German submarine U-864 was on its way from Germany to Japan via Norway when it sank, due to being torpedoed by the British submarine HMS Venturer. The U-864 was carrying mercury, lead, steel and other materials for the purpose of warfare. Old documents claim the submarine was holding cargo of about 65 tons of mercury, stored in steel-containers.

It is also beleaved that on November 11 1944. On Arctic patrol off the Lofoten Islands, HMS Venturer torpedoed U-771, which had been heading for Narvik

Google it and you will find loads of facts about it and the fact that the mercury is now leaking into the sea from U-864.
    that's nothing compared to what the japanese are doing to the world's oceans. they are devastating marine life because of thier diets. expecially shark fin soup. the japanese kill around 100 million sharks each year, they are going to kill the oceans within 20 years. and they really dont care. we should suprise attack one of thier finning ships and blow it out of the water instead of giving them $25,000 fines.

This migh've been accidental or coincidental, but here is what happened.

My Narwhal vs.Type B.

I had had to surface,so ASAP, I went down 4 (figured it would get me off the surface quicker)

I continue towards the Type B, as I was going below him I started coming up, right below him. Here comes the accident or coincidence....his Type B was forced to the surface. As I continued my pass and my torps became available, I was able to launch my aft torps and destroy him.

When I next get on I am going to try this exclusively. If anyone else does and has any results, please reply.

Originally Posted by shane_35007
    This migh've been accidental or coincidental, but here is what happened.

My Narwhal vs.Type B.

I had had to surface,so ASAP, I went down 4 (figured it would get me off the surface quicker)

I continue towards the Type B, as I was going below him I started coming up, right below him. Here comes the accident or coincidence....his Type B was forced to the surface. As I continued my pass and my torps became available, I was able to launch my aft torps and destroy him.

When I next get on I am going to try this exclusively. If anyone else does and has any results, please reply.
    Spent about 4 minutes following a jap type b and he was forced to the surface first fired all 4 bow tubes at him, 1 left, 1 right and 2 staight at him and in trying to get away he hit the lett torp.
    It's the first one to surface that die's but it does work.

Oh ya... that time i was following my friend's sub and it gets kinna irriting while following and thinking that you can launch torp and it actually missed.....

today i went head on at a beam to an enemy sub and at torpedo depth underwater about 1 foot from his hull i nailed him with 4 torps that hit him before they could goto to there shallow cruise depth, crude, but got me my underwater sub kill, it is doable in this game, i think they should add a depth gauge for the torps, that was what the thread was about, whether the torp can go lower, historically is 20 metres or so the max depth a torp could run?