Thread: PC Demo Will Destroy Any Chance of Sales - incredibly disappointed

PC Demo Will Destroy Any Chance of Sales - incredibly disappointed

PC gamers...............LEARN TO USE A PC. If you cant be bothered to learn to use a PC, then buy an X-Box.

I see this in every game I buy. People complaining the game is "broken" when in fact it is their knowledge of PC's thats broken.

Originally Posted by antiSniper07
    I see you didn't buy Battlefield 2142. These problems are minute compared to that farce. Most of these problems are easy work-around's, there are a horde of posts with good information to getting up and running. I suspect this demo was downloaded 25,000 times. Do you see 25,000 individual complaints?

What you see is a handful of people having issue's. I would be willing to bet it's a small fraction of the people that got it to work. Give them some time, it will all work out. For those of you who give up and don't purchase the retail, your really missing out on a very Unique Game.
    Handfull, my a%^. Out of those 25000, how many do you think managed to even get into the server? Every time I log in, there are only a handful of games. I did everything that was suggested - DMZ, port forwarding, gamespy arcade and what not. Still kicks me out of the games even though ping is about 100-200. No, I didn't play BF2142. If single player is good enough, I may still end getting the game but so far it has been a disaster.

Well I finally got it working, but it was by sheer luck. GameSpy confuses me like no other.

Now that I've got it working, I'm very disappointed to see that it doesn't work with the Saitek X52 joystick. I'm now stuck with flying with my mouse, which is annoying as hell.

Thumbs Down

Originally Posted by ScottWAR
    PC gamers...............LEARN TO USE A PC. If you cant be bothered to learn to use a PC, then buy an X-Box.

I see this in every game I buy. People complaining the game is "broken" when in fact it is their knowledge of PC's thats broken.
    FYI I rarely if ever have been unable to play a game that I wanted to play. So far I'm failing against this one. Spare me the condescending tone and labels such as "LEARN to bla bla bla". A great game should work right out of the box and be foolproof unless the real goal of the game is to bestow bragging rights on the user - "See how great I am, I managed to get it running, I'm THE MAN".

Yeah, a game should work right out of the box ON MILLIONS OF DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS. You realize how silly that statement is right?

Most of the time the issue is someone trying to use a 20 year old hard drive, or has video card drivers from the 90's or something to that effect. Yes, rarely there is an actual conflict/issue with a game, but that isnt the case here.

When plenty of people are playing, and you cant,.....its YOUR problem, not the games. If it were an issue with the game, well nobody would be playing would they?

The problem people are having is GAMESPY.

You must open quite a few different ports to get gamespy to allow you to register or connect. Learn to use your router and read the readme.

Bad or expired nicknames are one of two things..... people having old names which have characters that arent allowed, or incorrect account info. I couldnt use my old gamespy name because it had an underscore in it. I registered a new one, no problem, and have been playing with no problems except for lag,.... which is usually people hosting with machines or connections that cant handle hosting.

Ok, reading your post and the problems you are having..

You can connect to games, with a ping of less than 200, but ALWAYS get kicked out.

So how long do you manage to stay in game before you get kicked out, how bad is the lag while you are in, and exaclty what message does it give when you are kicked?

Ok, reading your post and the problems you are having..

You can connect to games, with a ping of less than 200, but ALWAYS get kicked out.

So how long do you manage to stay in game before you get kicked out, how bad is the lag while you are in, and exaclty what message does it give when you are kicked?
    I get kicked out when I try to select a slot in the game, never actually make it INTO the game. Sometimes I even don't get into the game setup screen, it's about 50% success rate so far. Yes, I do know how to port forward, and I did activate the gamespy account, thanks for the tip but I'm really not that bad of an user.

4200 X2, 2gb, SATA2 250GB, 7900GS 256 - the components are 1 month old, I doubt it there are incompatible but you never know.

Knowing how to use a PC doesn't dictate if your computer crashes to desktop when you try to host and/or join a game..among many other times it crashes. Gamespy is one problem...but only on the part of people not being able to log in. My computer meets OPTIMUM specs...and yet I've only been able to join 30 or so odd games....15 (give or take a few) of which crashed in the lobby,and 5 of which crashed midgame. I think I've completed 6 games,which were a blast.

There was a few occasions I was playing 3vs1 and got the enemy down to their last shipyard,while i still had both my airfields and shipyards,and the host said "This is enough"....but with more words....and quit.

Ok, you can play...... I think the biggest problem you are having is people hosting that probably shouldnt be, as in their machine cant handle it.

If their machine or thier connection cant handle hosting, the game will lag, crash etc.

And dont forget, some people wont actually quit, they will just unplug their internet connection, so people will think they just lost connection, instead of knowing they quit.

I also tried hosting a game, this time it allowed me to select a slot, click READY but then a few seconds later lost connecting with a message "challenge value from the master server not received" or something like that.

ROFL,......sorry, but I think your PC is cursed. Maybe voodoo........

Seriously though, it sounds like your PC does not like communicating with gamespy for some reason.

If other online games work with no problem, see if you have a game that can connect through gamespy. See if it has the same problems if you try to connect through gamespy.

There continues to be a great deal of vitriol in the forum, probably due to frustration. It is still unclear whether the game is at fault or gamespy itself. Hopefully not the game, and we can at least enjoy single-player for a time. I don't pretend to be a networking expert, but couldn't a master server list be maintained on an old P3 in the Epic break room? The actual games don't need to be centrally hosted but maybe we could ditch this Gamespy nonsense?

It took me 30 minutes to finally get in to play, then I realize no one ever bothered to include a list of commands in the game folders! I had to leave to come here to figure out all the controls. I'm starting out thinking theres a tutorial or help guide, I was lucky to actually hit `T' by accident to get help! LOL

I see it like this, if the game is also made for consoles (I presume) you dont even have to go thru all this gamespy and log in and account details do you? Many players are kids, you all ought to know better than to brag on who does or doesnt know `How To' get the game working. Most (but not all) 14 year olds arent gonna know squat on how to get this thing running. Your scaring potential cutomers away because you make it too complicated!

The demo should have included a key mapping/commands file to print on your own PC and it should `Self Install' right into the game! Having to use someone like Gamespy is lame IMO. Heck I have an account, but my other games `Remember me'! Now I gotta go dig thru notes to find one of my names and passwords, only to try a game I might not like?

You wont hook players for the long run by creating problems in trying to play a demo in this fashion! We shouldnt need Gamespy for the demo....

Im not ranting, its too much effort to go thru! Post or include a `Step-by-step' guide for the average person to understand. You spent plenty of time writting about system specs and controllers, spend just alittle bit more on what most people NEED to get `hooked'!

w

Originally Posted by Rafterman82
    use ur brain install GAMESPY ACTIVATE UR OLD ACCOUNT OR CREATE A NEW ONE, THEN UNINSTALL GAMESPY, (THERES NO SPYWARE) THEN LOG IN WOOOOHOOO, its that simple, OR u could write a long post about how dissappointed u r, wen in reality for a 20th of the time it took u to write that u could hav got a gamespy ID and started playing, aaaahhhh well ur loss

ps battlefield 2 uses gamespy as a backbone, if i remember correctly that was one of the worst selling games around???? LOL

at the end of the day is more sensible for a dev/publisher to outsource multiplayer connectivity alot of them do it its cheap than running ur own racks and bandwidth
    every one has bf2 its a decent game 2142 owns it thow. any way iam getting the demo now and if its crap well screwthis game then

After dealing with hours of failed download this is bad. The funny thing is I don't even have login problem. It locks up yes, the controls are poor as well. I knew this would be an arcade game but based on the review I had hope that it would still be fun. This one is for the Xbox crowd.

PC games are on the decline because we don't like spend 2k on a PC and play a poorly ported versions of a games so game company can pad their funds.

Thanks for releasing the demo at least I wont be wasting my money.

Originally Posted by GR34
    every one has bf2 its a decent game 2142 owns it thow. any way iam getting the demo now and if its crap well screwthis game then
    I dont think `Everyone has BF2' but there are alot of players! I'm finally beginning to see that most of these games are alike! You need team work, a good understanding of the game and some luck! Most dont realize that deep in the game code is a simple logic that will either give you victory or defeat. I wished the games of today had more `AI' in your own decision making, to determine a realistic oucome. If you dont have a team with some common knowledge and experience, you are simply waisting your time!

Examples, I play a game and join a side (unaware that my team player ratings as a whole are more from how much they play than how good they really are)

I join a squad (In BF2) but these good players dont chat or use voice, so were all really individuals instead of a team. They do what they want, and you either follow them and hope to learn and succeed, or just get pwned!

Next we have lag, `I shot him 5 times before he shot me once', yet I die and he lives! Then we have the team player going in the opposite direction of the battle or squatting to hide from being killed, so you die and he just lays there!

Lets not forget the games like, `Noobs welcome' in which you are slaughtered by veterans that tell you its `Good Practice'!

No offense to this game, but somethings gotta change. I often like single player games more than multiplayer games, because your only downfall is the intelligence of the AI! The bad side of single player games is you cant communicate with anyone! LOL

I've witnessed hundreds of players in games that cant even get to the objective, much less accomplish it when they arrive!

I guess I'm either getting bored, or expect more from game developers in general. I did like my brief play with Battlestations, even though it took awhile to get in a game, then didnt have a clue what to do!

My first idea of what this game was about, based on all the videos and screenshots, was that I would join a team and play as a member with a certain task, but (confused) it appears I deploy my own team to encounter the enemy, then hop into any of those positions during the battle?

Just some followup, I finally got a game going - and it was great as predicted. It took several connection problems, a couple of crashes to desktop, but I had a very enjoyable game where I got my butt handed to me but at least got to try it. Of course, I was not able to do this on my game computer that I have struggled with for 24 hours. I used a laptop with a wireless connection that is not supposed to work and has only a trackpad and a small screen with a crap graphics card. You know what? The game is really a lot of fun. Please fix the connection problems and mysterious CTDs and you'll have a winner.

I'd still recommend sprucing up the demo a bit - it was truly grueling to get this far and if I hadn't tried this experiment I wouldn't be contemplating using my EBGames gift certificate on your behalf.

Originally Posted by Ryback14
    i agree with most of your post, but dude, in order to play todays games, you need to drop close to 3grand on a pc, if not 2 grand in upgrades to your current pc every 2 years just to keep up. that's why it is dying. that's just too much money for most people to play games. i think it's easier just to drop $400 once and use the 360 for 3 years till the next gen. i loved pc games. i used to be a hardcore pc gamer. but gave it up due to cost and aggravation(i.e. cd keys, installation process, optimal performance settings etc....)

this doesnt give Developers the right to neglect PC gamers though.....
    $800 for a high end system.
    Core 2 Duo
    Radeon X1950
    MSI Platinum 975x Express Mobo
    2GB Corsair PC6400 DDR2800 512x4 ram.

Prices go higher if you buy a new pc, you're better off recycling harddrives, cd/dvd roms. etc.

Originally Posted by Vengeance
    Just some followup, I finally got a game going - and it was great as predicted. It took several connection problems, a couple of crashes to desktop, but I had a very enjoyable game where I got my butt handed to me but at least got to try it. Of course, I was not able to do this on my game computer that I have struggled with for 24 hours. I used a laptop with a wireless connection that is not supposed to work and has only a trackpad and a small screen with a crap graphics card. You know what? The game is really a lot of fun. Please fix the connection problems and mysterious CTDs and you'll have a winner.

I'd still recommend sprucing up the demo a bit - it was truly grueling to get this far and if I hadn't tried this experiment I wouldn't be contemplating using my EBGames gift certificate on your behalf.

I'm tempted to try it on my work laptop as my gaming pc doesn't have wireless. But I'll wait a little more to see if they come up with something.

ITS NOT OUT YET, HOW CAN THEY TEST IT UNLESS THEY RELEASE A DEMO????, THE DEVS ARE WATCHING YOUR POSTS IF THEY WANT SUCESS THEY WILL FIX IT, you need to chill out and stop expecting the world handed to you on a plate, if your having LAG issues, check the attenuation on your router, as well reduce the packet size to 1400ish, check you port forwarding again and again and again, check your IP, check your forwards are going to your IP,

What ever that Scot guy said he is right, they have to make software run on a silly amount of diff configs, now im sure if you were a dev and you knew the task ahead of you, you really wouldnt like heads on a forums bashing THE GAME before it released, a demo allows them to iron out issues, or they will release a manditory patch after release, if they do I dont care, and nor will any gameplayer like me, because we install patches all the god damn time as well diff bits of software to get the most functionality out of our games.

but this game has attracted a sizable "older" crowd, and the problem here in my expirence (of fixing so many PC's i cant remember) is that they are over paranoid, and dont use the tools around them, most older peeps i know who have PC's will undoubtably have so much anti virus and anti spyware privacy protection, all this type of software will cause issues if you want to have glorious gaming, all you need is Spybot S & D (free), AVG(small free antivurs) and IE7 im sure if half of you having problems, could get around it by removing Norton or MCfee or god help you panda, then you will find everthing we be fine. Its a sad fact that if you run a clean machine and its used by someone who knows everything about what they are inevitbly doing then they will most likely be playing BS:M right now, like i am.

Beta vs. Demo, my friend. The game is probably done, discs burned and packaged. What people get in the stores is presumably what we are seeing now. They will struggle as we did. In time these problems will be ironed out, as you say, but would it not have been better to have them fixed before release?

It does seem that the majority of problems are Gamespy related, so server-side fixes not dependent on the customer's side are probably what is necessary, and it may all work out well. I think we will all agree that that is the best outcome.

And I hope the devs DO want to hear the "bashing" since after working for years they want their product to work well and be enjoyed and purchased by as many people as possible. I don't see much in the way of negative feelings about the game itself, once people are playing; it is mostly getting it to run. After that the feelings seem quite uniformly positive, a testament to good design. Technical problems can always be fixed, but they need to know what they are!

Right after all my complaining, I have managed to get maybe half a dozen games which have been the best experience playing against other people, the "brain power" need to play is hard

Anyway during all my games there has been the message High Latency when you lost control of your units and firing options but it comes back and planes fly under water

Anyway at most there has been 8 servers up at most, and the amount of people who must have downloaded this game that isnt good, Gamespy needs to sort itself out now, there must be thousands of people not able to play.

Anyway, Edios, if the full game has no glitches then in my view its game of the year, even with halo 3 on its way
    Battleship\

(Nav.) An armor-plated man-of-war built of steel and heavily armed, generally having from ten thousand to fifteen thousand tons displacement, and intended to be fit to meet the heaviest ships in line of battle.
    Destroyer\

A small, fast, highly maneuverable warship armed with guns, torpedoes, depth charges, and guided missiles.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7...edragon6wz.gif

Wow Vengeance am going to Salute you for the amount of flame your received from a bunch of 12 year olds and still standing and just wiping it off you shoulder.

Any way I agree with you Vengeance, Even though I solved my problem. It still took me a little time to found out what I had to do.

list of problems
    1. I have a insider account to game spy/ign/file planet ect. Yet it still gave me screen name error galore. Once i installed game spy arcade as a hunch, logged in then started the game it worked..... Why in the hell would i start a program that doesn't even support the demo, the problem here is game spy.

2. I had to open port 6500 For the game to work. For someone who has never opened there router function and did a port forwarding is going to be impossible to figure out. The average PC player really doesn't go that extra length to figure problems out. A lot of people don't have the patience that other do. So they just give up and move along. I tried to get this demo to work it took me from 2pm to 7pm after a hour brake in the middle.

I my self and many other people have talked about that the game lacks a game lobby as well. Even Star craft's Battle.net is better game lobby and multilayer game handling then game spy.That being said. I enjoyed the game once you get the gripe and complaining aside I played this game all day.

This game is a winner I will buy it. But like Vengeance said if we as a community group don't express our opinions and complaints how are the Dev's going to know what they did wrong?

<S> Vengeance

"Anyway at most there has been 8 servers up at most, and the amount of people who must have downloaded this game that isnt good, Gamespy needs to sort itself out now, there must be thousands of people not able to play."

I believe that the only servers you are able to see are those that haven't started the game yet. You can only see the games that either need more players to start or are waiting with full players and are greyed out. Once the game starts that server disappears from view. There are a hell of a lot more than 8 servers.

Ok, there is no need to call names or anything like that. I'm been running my own Computer Sales and repair Business for over 12 years now and have had to deal with a lot of problems like what people are having with this game.
    I'm more than happy to try to help anyone here to get online and play. This Game is Fun, Yes it might have bugs but tell me what game hasn't had bugs even console games.
    1: Make sure that no other programs are using you Net connection
    2: Open the ports in your router. (DMZ can be Dangerous) and I don't recommend this option
    3: Turn of DHCP in your modem or at least set your PC IP to Static. (if your not sure on how to do this PM me or post here and I will include detailed Instructions on how to do this.
    4: Take a deep Breath and hope for the Best.

Col.Falcon

Page 2 of 4 First First 1234 Last