Thread: downloadable content?

downloadable content?

Question downloadable content?

hey Keir will this downloadable content I hear talk about be available for the PC because I don't have an X-Box 360 and do not have enough money to buy one for at least 10 months

More than likely you'll see the same content on the PC, but us XBox 360 owners will have to pay for our new maps and planes while you PC users get yours for free. :^P

Corvall

horray

not good

Originally Posted by Corvall
    More than likely you'll see the same content on the PC, but us XBox 360 owners will have to pay for our new maps and planes while you PC users get yours for free. :^P

Corvall
    Maybe better to get the PC version then for those of us who have a choice.

That's garbage.

Oblivion was released on both the PC and the 360 and the downloadable content add-ons had a price for both platforms.

Don't believe everything you hear.

It depends upon the developer. Patches and updates will be free, but additional content may cost you regardless of platform.

Garbage? Yes, Bethesda did charge PC users the same as XBox users. But how about Call of Duty? XBox users had to pay for new maps, and I haven't see anything anywhere stating that PC users had to pay anything.

When it comes down to it, there's a precedent for it to go both ways. They could offer it for free, but even GoW had to get sponsorship for their free map downloads. I'd be very surprised to see free DLC on XBox 360, but there's so far little in the way of for-pay DLC for PC users.

We'll have to wait and see of course. I'm still going to buy it for the 360 either way. But I wouldn't be shocked to see a charge for 360 users and free downloads for PC users.

Corvall

I probably came off a little harsh. Yes it's been both ways on the 360, and the bulk of the add-on content has been at a cost.

But if the company can release DLC for the PC and charge for it, they will.

I don't think there's been any precedent as far as Eidos goes though. The most recent titles that come to mind are Hitman, Just Cause, and Tomb Raider, but if I remember correctly, there wasn't any DLC for those.

i can see them releasing a four-pack of maps in a few months. new planes and ships will be cool. but a multiplayer co-op mode vs. AI would be key.

Originally Posted by Ryback14
    i can see them releasing a four-pack of maps in a few months. new planes and ships will be cool. but a multiplayer co-op mode vs. AI would be key.
    I thought coop against AI was included already in the final product?

Hints at downloadable content
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=151833

(also in p-38 thead)

Originally Posted by Alymon
    That's garbage.

Oblivion was released on both the PC and the 360 and the downloadable content add-ons had a price for both platforms.

Don't believe everything you hear.

It depends upon the developer. Patches and updates will be free, but additional content may cost you regardless of platform.
    That's not what he means.

There are terrabytes and terrabytes of FREE DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT for Oblivion available for the PC version ONLY. Which has better graphics than the PS3 or X360 versions. The utlization of the Elder Scrolls Construction Set and the sheer flexibility of the PC being multi-purpose make it a beautiful platform to Mod on, which is the term for user-created content.

http://elderscrolls.filefront.com/

That is a Filefront website containing hundreds of custom, FREE Oblivion mods. Have at. I would LOVE to see a Battlestations Midway Filefront site
    Maybe we will.

Yes, though the $1.99 "official" patches are still avail. for PC too, BUT custom content can also be made, the Xbox is limited to ONLY the official patches. Emotear.

haha, i have played many games for pc, and new downloadable content is always free... AHAH
    Battleship\

(Nav.) An armor-plated man-of-war built of steel and heavily armed, generally having from ten thousand to fifteen thousand tons displacement, and intended to be fit to meet the heaviest ships in line of battle.
    Destroyer\

A small, fast, highly maneuverable warship armed with guns, torpedoes, depth charges, and guided missiles.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7...edragon6wz.gif

Was interesting to read views on DLC comparing free for PC and paid for for xbox.

I think anyone buying a console knows upfront that it is highly unlikely you will get free mods for games in the same way you do for PC's, as consoles have much tighter systems for allowing of modifiable content. That has pro's and cons, one of the biggest factors that determined my moving to xbox 360 was not the amount of good mods available, but the amount oc bad mods.

By that i mean mods that allowed players to cheat.

A prime example is BF2142, by all accounts a supurb game, but i have it on good authority it is rife with cheating, counter strike became unplayable because of it, in fact every game out there has someone working harder at beating the anti cheat software than they do at building their skills in game, the 'fruits' of their labours eventually get around to every game spoiling scumbucket who wants them!

So overall i'm kinda jealous of the 'freebies' on PC's, but accept the compromise of knowing that I am playing in a more secure system.

(I know halo had its' cheaters on original xbox, but comparitively way fewer on consoles than PC)

Then there is the actual cost, as far as I know, a fairly hefty system was needed to run Oblivion to the same detail as the 360, in fact a system that would cost many times more than the 360. I have spent more on a graphics card than i have on the 360, and have (after about 10 years) escaped the rat race of upgrading PC's every year to be able to run games at decent framerates/resolutions/effects.

That definately leaves a few pennies in the bank to buy a few add ons.

Lastly there is the glory of HD gaming on a huge telly, (I know you can hook up a PC to a HDTV but not without a war with the missus u cant) I'm lucky enough to have a 37" HDTV, and it's awesome.

So overall, PC owners, am glad you're happy with your free mods and stuff, but I'll stick with console gaming, and pay a few quid for decent quality controlled DLC, one thing is I WON'T buy anymore 'theme's' for it, what the hell was i thinking in PAYING for pictures on my xbox!!!!

anyhoo if decent DLC comes out for 360, yeah i'll pay for it

MM

I'm not referring to mods. DLC to me is First Party content released by the developer.

Modding is a completely different subject in my mind. The PC clearly has the advantage when it comes to modding and yes, in cases like Oblivion there was a construction kit that allowed unlimited potential for modding and additional content.

The question really is, will official first party DLC be released at a price or for free for the PC and/or the 360.

No real precedent has been set on this at the Eidos camp and only time will tell.

We'll see what Eidos does, but my feeling is that MS puts pressure on the developers to charge for at least some of the DLC. Like I mentioned before, take a look at Epic's DLC for Gears of War. Epic stated that they would make their DLC free like they always have for their communities. But notice that while it didn't cost anything to download, it was sponsored by the Discovery Channel's Future Weapons show. So while WE weren't paying for the download, SOMEONE was. What if Eidos can't get a sponsor for the BS:M DLC? Someone's got to pay for it, and it's not going to be Microsoft. That leaves either us or Eidos. Considering this is still a relatively niche game, I really can't see Eidos throwing extra money at it, especially when they could make EXTRA money (and have a better chance of recouping their investment) by making us pay.

It all comes down to a business decision by Eidos, and without a STRONG mandate from the developer (like with Epic) I just don't see how they'll pass up the opportunity of another revenue stream.

I hope I'm wrong. We'll all just have to wait and see.

Corvall

Originally Posted by Unique78
    I thought coop against AI was included already in the final product?

NOPE. not judging from what the review said.

I agree it is very likely there will be a cost associated with it for BS:M.

I hope the first DLC is free, if nothing else to give us a "taste" for it.

IGN Review didn't really say whether co-op was included or not. It mentions the word co-op, but it doesn't go into detail about what that means. It also says 1 game mode, but 4 humans vs 4 bots could still be considered one game mode (see Perfect Dark Zero as an example.... you can add bots to team deathmatch (or most of the modes) but it is still considered team deathmatch everywhere you look).

Originally Posted by bf2fan8
    hey Keir will this downloadable content I hear talk about be available for the PC because I don't have an X-Box 360 and do not have enough money to buy one for at least 10 months
    Yes it will