Thread: Aircraft Balance

Aircraft Balance

  1. #1

    Aircraft Balance

    Is it me, or are the Japanese planes significantly weaker than their American counterparts?

    This is fine for historical purposes, but in a game like this, there has to be balance.

    Can anyone set me straight? Cuz it feels like the Jap planes are covered in paper, whereas the American planes can eat tank rounds for breakfast.

  2. #2
    Ive noticed that as well. Every time i go 3 v 3 aganist a wildcat i almost always lose with my zeros. The zero is supposedly faster and more agile but i haven't noticed any advantage along those lines.

    If they were looking at historical balance, then the jap zero would be the #1 fighter, untill the hellcat came into service.

  3. #3
    yeha after the hellcat and corsiar came into battle is wasent to good for the zero but ther lucky somme of the planes the japs developed didnt go into service cause they were devastating.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,274
    Originally Posted by Memnoch
    Is it me, or are the Japanese planes significantly weaker than their American counterparts?

    This is fine for historical purposes, but in a game like this, there has to be balance.

    Can anyone set me straight? Cuz it feels like the Jap planes are covered in paper, whereas the American planes can eat tank rounds for breakfast.
    But that is the piont! Historicaly jap planes were more munuverable but had no armour plate, Mabee you should try flying the aircraft youself and not let the computer do the work. What would be the point of making a game like this if you had no intetion of making it as real as possible! If you go with the japs you should expect better munuverability but more fragile aircraft.

  5. #5
    They are more manueverable, but it's not so much of a difference as to balance it out. Even when you personally pilot them, the only way to get the enemy is to come from behind.

    Meanwhile, the Wildcats don't have to stay on target as long to take you down, so your manueverability doesn't count for much.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,274
    Originally Posted by Memnoch
    They are more manueverable, but it's not so much of a difference as to balance it out. Even when you personally pilot them, the only way to get the enemy is to come from behind.

    Meanwhile, the Wildcats don't have to stay on target as long to take you down, so your manueverability doesn't count for much.
    But this is how it was? Don't quite know where your going with this as there are advantages and dissavantages to choosing a side, both naval and air.
    If you fly with Jap aircraft you can see danger quiker and react to it and let your better manueverabilty show!

  7. #7
    I don't know how you're not getting it, but whatever.

    The zero is more manueverable, but not manueverable enough to overcome the difference in capabilities.

  8. #8
    According to the guide each plane has an armor rating and hit points. Now these are broken down in to the different areas of the airframe. You have a armor rating for the wings, engine, and fuselage. The hit points also vary between these areas as well. Now Im not going to type all the different stats for the planes but I will tell you that if you are aiming at the fuselage on both the Wildcat/Zero the Wildcat will always win.

    I have had about a 50/50 experience with the Wildcat and Zero. When I play the Zero I try to take the fight into a turning engagement and with the Wildcat I go for the verticle fight. Another good tactic is to use a sort of "wagon wheel" formation for your fighters. Simply tell you fighter to watch each others backs. To do this just go to your map and give your 1st fighter group a bunch of waypoints in a circle, next click on your 2nd group and than hit the "A" button on the first (this will make them follow the 1st), do the same thing for a 3rd but tell them to watch/follow the 2nd. Finally give the 1st group the order to watch/follow the last. At first it may sound complicated but with practice you can have all these orders completed in a very short time frame. Also dont make the circle to big. The nice thing about this formation is that no matter how the enemy engages you he will always have at least a 2:1 disadvantage at his rear.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,274
    Originally Posted by Memnoch
    I don't know how you're not getting it, but whatever.

    The zero is more manueverable, but not manueverable enough to overcome the difference in capabilities.

    And i still don't know how you don't understand that this game is trying to be true to life so that all the pro's and cons of the aircraft show up! If all the fighters had the same flight model it would not be as interesting! Would you expect that the brewster buffalo and the zero to have the same flight model as well? I think not!!

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Memnoch
    Is it me, or are the Japanese planes significantly weaker than their American counterparts?

    This is fine for historical purposes, but in a game like this, there has to be balance.

    Can anyone set me straight? Cuz it feels like the Jap planes are covered in paper, whereas the American planes can eat tank rounds for breakfast.

    zeros were better at maneuverability because they beared virtually no armor at all and were lightweight. that is why they break apart so easily. but the american planes had armor plating all over them, which made them heavier, and thus less maneuverable. but could withstand a beating...

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by andy3536

    And i still don't know how you don't understand that this game is trying to be true to life so that all the pro's and cons of the aircraft show up! If all the fighters had the same flight model it would not be as interesting! Would you expect that the brewster buffalo and the zero to have the same flight model as well? I think not!!

    i like it too. it forces the player to adapt constantly to different handling abilities and dissabilities of the planes, thus making you think and change your strategies...

  12. #12
    In a competitive game, though, you can't do this!

    If two players of the same skill use the same class aircraft against each other, you should expect similar outcomes. You can not expect one player to need more skill in order to break even, and still have balance within the game.

    They may have different handling and characteristics, but you can't make it so that one side is handicapped.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,274
    Originally Posted by Memnoch
    In a competitive game, though, you can't do this!

    If two players of the same skill use the same class aircraft against each other, you should expect similar outcomes. You can not expect one player to need more skill in order to break even, and still have balance within the game.
    You choose your side with the pro's and cons in mind to suit your style of play, do not forget that the jap cruisers have torps but the americans don't or would you have liked to see that changed aswel to give an even running!
    I do think that there is no gulf in the differece between the 2 fighters, must be down to an operator problem!
    There are many people who qiute like the zero!

  14. #14
    Also when piloting the planes try to use some real dogfighting tactics, trust me they do work. Just do a google search for these and then try to implement them into your gameplay. Learn energy management (speed vs manouverability) early on and it will make a big difference in your dogfights, dont just stomp on the gas.

    Here is one link of many that you can find regarding dogfighting tactics.
    http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_024a.html

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by Memnoch
    In a competitive game, though, you can't do this!

    If two players of the same skill use the same class aircraft against each other, you should expect similar outcomes. You can not expect one player to need more skill in order to break even, and still have balance within the game.

    They may have different handling and characteristics, but you can't make it so that one side is handicapped.
    Sorry, wrong answer. ;^) Different planes had different capabilities. That's something you need to take into account when you hop into the pilot seat. If you take your Zero and go straight on head to head shooting at a Wildcat, you're going to lose. You're playing to the Wildcat's strength and deserve to be shot down.

    You need to take advantage of the strength of the Zero, speed and manuverability. Come in high and fast, get around behind him and force him to react. Get into a turn 'n burn knife fight and come around on his tail. Remember, speed kills in air combat. Make sure you have it and force your opponent to sacrifice his to avoid you.

    Corvall

  16. #16
    They had to change some historical facts to make the game fun. The American torpedos were terribla at this point in the war if you put that in the game it wouldt be fair to the american player.

  17. #17
    Also in try to attack with the sun behind you, don't know if you guys noticed this but there is a significant advantage in doing this.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,450
    Originally Posted by andy3536
    But that is the piont! Historicaly jap planes were more munuverable but had no armour plate, Mabee you should try flying the aircraft youself and not let the computer do the work. What would be the point of making a game like this if you had no intetion of making it as real as possible! If you go with the japs you should expect better munuverability but more fragile aircraft.
    When I fly my aircraft, nomatter which side, the enemy is always better. I was allied, I chickened a zero (I had full, he had 75%) and he won, and peppered him. Also, the Jap Zeros acn carry 2 100 lb. bombs while the Wildcat can only carry 1.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999
    http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...ilies/Thud.gif

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,274
    Originally Posted by xgamerms999
    When I fly my aircraft, nomatter which side, the enemy is always better. I was allied, I chickened a zero (I had full, he had 75%) and he won, and peppered him. Also, the Jap Zeros acn carry 2 100 lb. bombs while the Wildcat can only carry 1.
    The japs carry 2 100lb bombs, the wildcat 1 200lb, there is no real difference here between the 2!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    29
    if it counts for anything......

    the Japanese certainly win when it comes to the battleships

  21. #21

    Unfortunately for the Zero

    Trading shots on the first pass with a Wildcat is not a good idea.

Similar Threads

  1. KH spinoffs - Are they worth it?
    By Mouse99 in forum KINGDOM HEARTS Series General Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 7th Feb 2013, 08:41
  2. Problems with Display resolution
    By Bardistock in forum Final Fantasy VII - General Discussion - Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3rd Aug 2005, 18:45
  3. Candles not going out properly
    By Brother52 in forum Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29th Jun 2004, 02:11
  4. A concerned message to Eidos
    By god_is_my_goldfish in forum Deus Ex: Invisible War
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th Dec 2003, 19:12
  5. Broken Saints
    By Driber in forum Members Lounge (formerly Eidos Community Chat)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20th Dec 2002, 23:27