Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... Last

Thread: IMPORTANT: Suggestions for BS:M

IMPORTANT: Suggestions for BS:M

Exclamation IMPORTANT: Suggestions for BS:M

Have any of you got suggestions for additions/alterations/tweaks that you'd like to see in the game? Obviously, I can't make any promises, but if Eidos should ask anyone, I'd say it's you lot!

So far I've got:
    1. Mic icon in the lobby (100% necessary)
    2. A replay function so you can enjoy the action after a battle
    3. Toggling free-look so you don't have to hold it in
    4. Altering game mechanic so players are encouraged to return planes as oppose to ditching them (this one is contentious though)

Hi Kier, it's nice to see yourselves involving th ecommunity so well.

May I suggest that opponents can't see a planes' payloads. This information shouldn't really be available, ie a squad of fighters can easilly choose between two flights of bombers as they can see who is loaded and who is empty.

This may also contribute to reducing kamikaze techniques as discussed in other places.

Maybe a host choosable time limit? Could add a whole new angle.

Surrender option? I think at the moment games have to be played out to the bitter end or even a stalemate, and no option to restart.

Clan matching/inviting etc.

Some kind of connection quality indicater.

A mandatory 'No attacking Muppet for ten minutes' rule.

Great suggestions (especially the last one)

Do others agree with those ^ ?

i havnt played the game yet (waiting for PC demo) but i have heard that the Renown has a US Flag if this is true can this be changed to the White Ensign

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    Clan matching ... yup!
    10 mniutes... nope. I give you 10 seconds

How about from teh other thread a timer on MP games or a surrender incase there is a situation where neither side can win.

I would also like to see an atomic bomb and Godzilla. Any chance?

You know I think the reason for the 2 flags is for sides only. Kinda like blue/red characters although to be honest for finding out who is who I just look at the markings on teh side of the ship and not the flag.

Alot of good ideas one thing i want to see change is when a sub is at it lowest death u can still see it when equiped death charges on a destroyer or maybe this is a bug?

another is the clan feature already mentioned, but would be great is like 2 other diffrent formatons for your planes would be sweet and this is a crazy idea but bomb skipping (probly wont be done but hell its a crazy idea)

Originally Posted by Keir
    Great suggestions (especially the last one)

Do others agree with those ^ ?
    Yes, but I've got some of my own.

1, reduce the viewing distance. Suprise attacks with anything other than a submarine are impossible with the current viewing distance.

2, give submarines the abillity to reload after they gave used all of there torps. But only at the dock and the whole reloading takes about two minutes.

3, increase the damage done by dive bombers. It only took about 3-5 bombs in midway to take out those Aircraft carriers.

4, give submarines an 'order' where you can select them to automaticly dive when in range of enemy units.

5,If youve taken alot of damage below the water line, but you've survived because of the (3) people pumping in yourship. Make it so that when you withdraw 2 of them, the water starts gushing into your ship again.

BTW I LOVE the game, it's really impressive how fun you've guys made it

1. Option for fog of war for Mp play. ^

Originally Posted by CannedCanary

1, reduce the viewing distance. Suprise attacks with anything other than a submarine are impossible with the current viewing distance.

BTW I LOVE the game, it's really impressive how fun you've guys made it
    Good ideas, could fog/mist be introduced to make this realistic and also aesthetically pleasing? At the moment tho it is impossible to add sneak attacks to your strategy.

Deffo agree with fun comment

Originally Posted by Keir
    4. Altering game mechanic so players are encouraged to return planes as oppose to ditching them (this one is contentious though)
    An RTB - Return to Base could be enough of an incentive if it earned some sort of achievement on XBL or in the case of the PC added to your point total.

A commander of air and naval untis needs to think as much about destroying the enemy as well as safely returning the units home - now thats unique for gaming Perhaps points are given out based on RTB's - a return = 100% points for the mission and a death or ditch of the units = only 20% of the points. Or when the match is over the overall % of available units lefts results in points or an achievement - say a force of 75% or higher.

Some humble suggestions

Hello everyone,

First off, big kudos to EIDOS and the development team for an incredible DEMO. Very much looking forward to the final version of the game.

Based on the DEMO alone, I would like to offer two suggestions:

1. Weather effects (rough seas, fog, rain, low clouds...), preferably dynamic. I realize this probably won't make it into this version as it would require thorough work on the code but if the idea of a "Battlestations Midway 2" is entertained, then please keep this in mind!

2. A "skirmish" mode (not unlike what other RTS or wargames like "combat mission" offer). The idea of being able to randomly generate new encounters would add great replayability to the title, especially for those who do not have XBOX live gold (not my case but I do care about the little people... ).

Anyway, great great game so far. Can't wait for next week!

Originally Posted by chip5541
    1. Option for fog of war for Mp play. ^

Agree

Like to see it as a host option for diffrent levels of Fog of War like normal (as it is now) maybe a 25% less veiwing maybe even a 50% also on the map (Command map only not normal game play veiw)!

Last one is a level expert where you can see enemy ships/planes on the comand map, but can't tell what kind of ship/plane it is only that it's there. You have to zoom in on the object to tell what kind the ship/plane it is with bincs or just plan chase it down until you have eyes veiw on the target (Planes mustly i guess)!

Also reloading for Subs!

Time limit on the matchs from 10 mins and up host option.

White flag option, but team has to agree or at least whos left alive with something being controled! If someone calls for a white flag on team maybe in one of the coners a icon will appear so it don't mess up his game play.

I know this one will never happen, but a host option for picking what vechiles enter the map and it's even for both teams on the vechiles choosen. It still will be 2 plane yards and shipyards just adjusted on what planes and ships enter (Also it can only be used in unranked games).
    Xbox Ambassador
    United States

Originally Posted by chip5541
    Clan matching ... yup!
    10 mniutes... nope. I give you 10 seconds

How about from teh other thread a timer on MP games or a surrender incase there is a situation where neither side can win.

I would also like to see an atomic bomb and Godzilla. Any chance?

gooid point. i didnt agree with the no attacking for ten minutes. i can assemble an entire wrecking crew in less than 2.

I too would like to see the surrender option only because at a certain point you know your done but it still might take 15 or 20 mins to finish the game.

As for the Kamikazee/Return to base option, we've been kicking some ideas around on the xbox board also and it seems there are two things that could be done:
    1- Restrict the number of plane types a little more seems like the current level is a bit high. This is the best way to eliminate constant Kamikazee/flying into the water strategy.
    2- Increase the creation time of new units. Now some may have a problem with this especially at the beginingof the game but think about all these people who fly their bombers into the water and then literally 10 secs later they have a new squadron up to replace the old one. If it took a while say 60secs or 90 or whatever it may deter them (combined with the loss of resources see 1 above) and may drive them to fly back.
    3- Perhaps increase the air speed of returning flights?? If you give a squadron the Land comand they fly a bit faster say 1.5xspeed? Sort of realistic as on attack they would be comming in a little slower and heading home its full throttle.

I would at this point also like to point out that the creation of new units aspect could also be applied to naval yards. How many times have you been in a naval fight you sink the other guys BB and then 5 secs later another one steams out.
    Perhaps 1st unit per slot is fast any future units from that slot are progressively slower to create 30secs then 60 then 90 etc. That would be interesting.
    sorry for the long post, had to get it off my chest.

PS
    A way to regulate the # of planes was posted on the xbox forum.
    An idea for this was posted by Justice7CA which is being able to set the resources at the begining of the match Low=10 planes Med = 20 High = 30.

I really like the idea of:

speeding up the landing process + increasing the speed of planes flying back to land

However -- this does not fix people ditching a single fighter to replenish them with 3

Of course reasonable unit caps would certainly make a huge difference to this -- you'll care if you get shot down all the time.

The veterans idea posted before is also quite good.

Another vote for a 'Skirmish mode'!!!! I still can't believe this game doesn't have something like this! Multiplayer maps against AI, alone or coop is a must. Maybe you could put this out as an expansion? I'd pay extra for that for sure!

Some suggestions for Battlestations: Victory in the Pacific (or whatever you want to call the sequel):

Larger maps or reduced radar range. That would add a new dimension to the gameplay. The games would probably last longer, but I wouldn't have a problem with that . It would also make scout planes more imortant, and would play into my next suggestion. Maybe an adjustable map scale so people could play shorter games if they desire?

How about a force placement phase? It would be nice to set up zones that you could place your ships prior to the game starting. That way, the ships wouldn't start in the same place, and it would keep the gameplay fresh.

Stop the ditching

Another possibility to stop the ditching problem is to have air units increase in skill and experience when at least one plane in a squadron returns from a sortie. These elite units could have better AI, do more damage, etc. That way a player who keeps his forces alive would have a distinct advantage to those who ditch just to get more units in the air.

Also, I dig the idea of limited view distance. Many of the major battles in the pacific were determined by recon and knowing where the enemy was. This game of cat and mouse was of huge importance in these battles and should be modeled here accurately.

What do you all think?

yes i also found Radar to be a little bit too far-reaching

you can see almost the entire map when you start out

perhaps the full version will have larger maps where this wont be a factor?

My suggestions would be that a player setting up the game can determine the amount of planes/ships in supply. A Low/Medium/High system might work, but something needs to be there. Being able to launch 20 BBs is WAY too many, and it turns the game into a 'firehose' match, where each side is just throwing their units at each other hoping to push closer to the production centers first. With fewer units available, the units you do have will be more valuable and therefore used with more care.

Also, subs must be able to reload back at dock.

BTW, you CAN see when an enemy plane has launched their payload. If you hover over the enemy unit, the bombs/torpedos showing armament next to the plane name will have a slash through it if they've already made their run.

I think the viewing distance problem can be fixed with bigger maps. I don't think we need to cut the viewing range of the ships that are out there. A BB should be able to see for miles.

Corvall

I would definitely pay for an add-on which allowed to play "skirmishes". A shame really that this feature won't be in the initial release. Skirmish modes do add a great deal of replayability in SP mode.

I really like the idea of veteran/elite units. Lets say a squad of three makes it back with only 2. When it lands and reloads it now has 2 veteran planes and one recruit. The key is you would have to have a payload hit or people would just launch/land/launch/landetc until maxed out. Maybe for fighters if a squad gets 5 kills (Ace). Oh thats beautiful. Same can be done with ships. For each ship sunk the victorious ship would get a bump up.

I am shocked that there is no Instant action or skirmish mode. I thought I read somwere that they had that.

Mybee it should be set up so when you order your planes home the pc takes control of them and you can then launch a new unit. I think that would help with people ditching into the water. which I confess I have done sevral times when I first started.

Ok Keir, that's 4 votes for skirmish mode...

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... Last