Page 2 of 2 First First 12

Thread: Why American flags?

Why American flags?

Originally Posted by Cpt.sharp
    i did say about 20

infact it was 17 just checked

The fleet included 17 aircraft carriers (with 300 aircraft, about 25% of the total Allied air strength), four battleships, 10 cruisers, 40 destroyers, 18 sloops, 13 frigates, 35 minesweepers, other kinds of fighting ships, and many support vessels.
    Wow I really didn't know the British fleet had that many carriers. Thanks for the education.

The Royal navy by the end of WW2 had 885 ships

Battleships = 20 (not including vanguard)
    Lost = 5

Carriers = 65
    Lost = 10

Cruisers = 101
    Lost = 34

Destroyers = 277
    Lost = 153

Submarines = 238
    Lost = 76

TOTALS = 885
    Total Lost = 278

I have a couple things to say about this topic:

1. The Battle of the Solomons took place from August 23-25, 1942. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet , the British fleet was active from 1944-45. I dont how reliable this information is but I'll go with it.

2. Looking over the order of battle, there were no renown class ships at this battle. So we can argue that this class shouldnt be even in the demo.

http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~jgf/carrier/cv1.html

TF 11
    CV Hornet (2 damage, Engine and Deck damage, 2 VP)
    CV Wasp (2 damage, Engine and Float damage, 2 VP)
    BB South Dakota
    CA San Francisco
    CLAA Atlanta, Juneau, San Diego, San Juan
    DD Anderson, Aylwin, Buchanan, Farenholt, Farragut, Lang, McDonough, Morris, Perkins, Russell, Stack, Sterett
    TF 16

CV Enterprise
    CA Minneapolis, Portland
    DD Dewey, Hughes, Mustin, Phelps, Porter, Worden

The Renown class only had 2 battle cruisers built and one was sunk in 1941, which was the Repulse, while the Renown served closest to the Pacific while serving in the Indian Ocean from 44-45.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renown_class_battlecruiser

Correct me if I'm wrong with any of this info.

I know that we shouldn't expect great historical accuracy so I wouldnt expect them to get the flag right when the South Dakota isnt available and the Repulse is (especially when she was sunk little less than a year before the battle).

This demo is just to showcase the game...

Originally Posted by Haldir323
    I have a couple things to say about this topic:

1. The Battle of the Solomons took place from August 23-25, 1942. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet , the British fleet was active from 1944-45. I dont how reliable this information is but I'll go with it.

2. Looking over the order of battle, there were no renown class ships at this battle. So we can argue that this class shouldnt be even in the demo.

http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~jgf/carrier/cv1.html

TF 11
    CV Hornet (2 damage, Engine and Deck damage, 2 VP)
    CV Wasp (2 damage, Engine and Float damage, 2 VP)
    BB South Dakota
    CA San Francisco
    CLAA Atlanta, Juneau, San Diego, San Juan
    DD Anderson, Aylwin, Buchanan, Farenholt, Farragut, Lang, McDonough, Morris, Perkins, Russell, Stack, Sterett
    TF 16

CV Enterprise
    CA Minneapolis, Portland
    DD Dewey, Hughes, Mustin, Phelps, Porter, Worden

The Renown class only had 2 battlecruisers built and one was sunk in 1941, which was the Repulse, while the Renown served closest to the Pacific while serving in the Indian Ocean from 44-45.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renown_class_battlecruiser

Correct me if I'm wrong with any of this info.

I know that we shouldnt expect great historical accuracy so I wouldnt expect them to get the flag right when the South Dakota isnt avaiable and the Repulse is.

This demo is just to showcase the game...
    The early battles in the pacific were an ad hoc affair with ships from many nations. Normally from countries that had dependate islands such as the the UK and the netherlands.

Originally Posted by andy3536
    The early battles in the pacific were an ad hoc affair with ships from many nations. Normally from countries that had dependate islands such as the the UK and the netherlands.

That doesnt explain why the South Dakota isnt there and the Repulse is which *is* my main point. I do understand that other countries contributed and I have no intention of undermining what they put forth but I'm clearly going off the order of battle here. There were no Renown class ships there which was put into this demo to replace an American BB. A wrong flag on a ship that shouldnt be there shouldnt be as serious when at the same time it is taking place of a American BB that was there. I conclude this is why the Repulse has an American flag.

If you can find out other info about this then Id be glad to read it.

Originally Posted by Sam0096
    Is this just because it’s the demo or will all British and Dutch ships have US flags?
    That was my original question - I assume that the Renown has a US flag because it is a demo and certain screenshots I have seen seem to confirm this I was asking for clarification.
    Cheers
    Sam

Originally Posted by Sam0096
    That was my original question - I assume that the Renown has a US flag because it is a demo and certain screenshots I have seen seem to confirm this I was asking for clarification.
    Cheers
    Sam
    I understand I was just going off on why the Repulse was there in the first place. I'm sure they'll put in the appropriate flags in the final build for specific ships like the Renown. I just think they gave it an American flag because it was replacing an American BB and this is because of the demo not being ready completely.

Originally Posted by Haldir323
    That doesnt explain why the South Dakota isnt there and the Repulse is which *is* my main point. I do understand that other countries contributed and I have no intention of undermining what they put forth but I'm clearly going off the order of battle here. There were no Renown class ships there which was put into this demo to replace an American BB. A wrong flag on a ship that shouldnt be there shouldnt be as serious when at the same time it is taking place of a American BB that was there. I conclude this is why the Repulse has an American flag.

If you can find out other info about this then Id be glad to read it.
    You may well be right about the repuse being a late inclusion to the demo, Mabee because it is very similar to the Kongo!
    The battle for the solomon islands did have some ships from New Zealand And a Cruiser from australia but the repulse had long been sunk.

Originally Posted by Cpt.sharp
    i did say about 20

infact it was 17 just checked

The fleet included 17 aircraft carriers (with (1.) 300 aircraft, about 25% of the total Allied air strength), four battleships, 10 cruisers, 40 destroyers, 18 sloops, 13 frigates, 35 minesweepers, other kinds of fighting ships, and many support vessels.
    I really hate to be introducing myself on a post like this, but as far as I knew the United States alone by the end of World War II had manufactured in excess between 98,000 to 300,000 aircraft, each of course encompassing field purposes ranging from reconissance planes to carpet bombers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WW2_aircraft_production

Citing these figures, the British were able to manufacture 131,000+ aircraft for which 300 does not make up a quarter of a combined allied air strength of 600,000+.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet

Where citing this assesment of the British Pacific Fleet? Or where you saying that 300 Aircraft alone tallied 25% of the total amount of aircraft that were manufactured by the allies combined?

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    Originally Posted by andy3536
    Don't qiute understand your piont? 2 sides, why not japanease and allies.
    Because there was no unifying flag for allies. Of course I could be wrong on that point It just makes it easier gamewise to have only 1 identifier for each team. Having multiple flags for each team would confuse some people.

I really hate to be introducing myself on a post like this, but as far as I knew the United States alone by the end of World War II had manufactured in excess between 98,000 to 300,000 aircraft, each of course encompassing field purposes ranging from reconissance planes to carpet bombers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WW2_aircraft_production

Citing these figures, the British were able to manufacture 131,000+ aircraft for which 300 does not make up a quarter of a combined allied air strength of 600,000+.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet

Where citing this assesment of the British Pacific Fleet? Or where you saying that 300 Aircraft alone tallied 25% of the total amount of aircraft that were manufactured by the allies combined?
    It has nothing to do with the manufacturing and yes i did quote from that link you posted. Infact i think its 25% of the Allied Carrier-born aircraft.

^ That would explain some things. Infact, that clears a lot of things up. Thanks mate.

im a brit and i fdont think thats right WE BUILT THOSE NAVAL ACHIEVEMENTS SO GET YOUR OWN AMERICA

yeah, WE INVENTED CHEESE !, or did we?
    Battleship\

(Nav.) An armor-plated man-of-war built of steel and heavily armed, generally having from ten thousand to fifteen thousand tons displacement, and intended to be fit to meet the heaviest ships in line of battle.
    Destroyer\

A small, fast, highly maneuverable warship armed with guns, torpedoes, depth charges, and guided missiles.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7...edragon6wz.gif

my fav story is when the first man (a frenchman) flew the first flight over the english channel. The very next day the English started to design the first anti aircraft gun

now thats British thinking

Page 2 of 2 First First 12