Thread: American Strategy

American Strategy

  1. #1

    American Strategy

    First - love the demo, confident I will love the game! The controls are excellent once you take a moment to figure them out. Torpedo planes are my favorite!

    Anyway ... when I play as the Japanese it is insanely easy to sink the American carriers. I am the first to admit this is the case because most of the people I play against leave them wide open, though. Man - 3 waves of torpedo planes and they are toast!

    So - my question is this - what do you folks do to protect the carries AND fight offensively? You could surround them with fighters, but then how do you take out the Japanese installations? Plus - the Japanese bases have some intense AA cover which seems superior to the American AA capabilities. As the Americans I tried steaming to the backside of the island a couple of times, but inevitably got found and sunk after the shipyards fell.

    Any ideas or successful plans out there?

    P.S. - I can't wait for the riff-raff to move on to another demo so I can actually play some well thought out matches. I am pretty sick of the many games I have had ruined by people who immediately lose interest!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,274
    Originally Posted by rustic85
    First - love the demo, confident I will love the game! The controls are excellent once you take a moment to figure them out. Torpedo planes are my favorite!

    Anyway ... when I play as the Japanese it is insanely easy to sink the American carriers. I am the first to admit this is the case because most of the people I play against leave them wide open, though. Man - 3 waves of torpedo planes and they are toast!

    So - my question is this - what do you folks do to protect the carries AND fight offensively? You could surround them with fighters, but then how do you take out the Japanese installations? Plus - the Japanese bases have some intense AA cover which seems superior to the American AA capabilities. As the Americans I tried steaming to the backside of the island a couple of times, but inevitably got found and sunk after the shipyards fell.

    Any ideas or successful plans out there?

    P.S. - I can't wait for the riff-raff to move on to another demo so I can actually play some well thought out matches. I am pretty sick of the many games I have had ruined by people who immediately lose interest!


    REVERSE! get the carrier further away and launch 2 sets of f4f's and on the attack a set of dive bombers. It helps if the guy with the other carrier doesn't just steam in to the island. Unfortunatly there isn't much conversation and team tactics are difficult to arrange!

    Have not lost using this yet. If you can get the carriers working together it is better as you can free up more for the offensive

  3. #3
    What I do is I have my carrier launch two flights of F4Fs and one flight of Dauntlesses. This provides an excellent air defense while at the same time provides me with some attack capability. To compensate for this lack of offensive firepower I usually have the guy with the other carrier send up two flights of Dauntlesses and one flight of F4Fs (assuming he has a mic and speaks English .) I usually let the ships take care of the ships, facilitating the rate at which my bombers can destroy the shipyards and airfields.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    -General George S. Patton

  4. #4
    This is probably a less aggressive strategy, but my thought would be to immediately launch at least three (maybe four) wings of fighters to defend against the early bomber attack. I'm not sure how well this will work if the Japanese players mix in some Zeros to support the bombers, but at least you'll be able to defend yourself. You'll also need to be ready to send some (or all) of the fighters on an intercept mission in case the Japanese players decide to attack the shipyards instead of the carriers.

    I'm not sure how many wings of dive bombers it takes to clear an airfield, but it seems to me that the carriers are more vulnerable to air attack than the airfields are. That suggests to me that a more defensive posture early on is probably a better move, otherwise you may lose both carriers in exchange for maybe taking out one airfield.

    Corvall

  5. #5
    Send the US carriers Southeast behind the island, launch 4 waves of Hellcat fighters and 2 waves of Dauntless dive bombers. I keep 2 of the 4 fighters waves with the carriers until I make it south of the island than I start to pound the Jap airfields. Key is to keep the Jap air force occupied, just keep resending aircraft up as they are destroyed. The US shipyards shou;d just start churning out warships (Battleships, Destroyers) I dont use the subs much but you can if you like. Send your ships straight at his shipyards, try to get your battleships through his ships (dont worry about shooting them yet) just push through their line toward the Jap shipyards. 1 Battleship can destroy the shipyards in just a few salvos from their guns. Now that the Japs have no navy, move the ships to the Jap airfields and pound away, should be done in no time.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by rustic85
    You could surround them with fighters, but then how do you take out the Japanese installations?
    Well, first thing is you shouldn't be using your fighters to take out enemy installations by themselves. You should use them only for protecting your ships or engaging enemy aircraft that are inbound on your ship's position. The only time you should send your fighters to the enemy's base is when you've sent some bombers in the same direction. Use the fighters as an escort, as a kind of distraction for the bombers who are trying to take out enemy installations.
    "The next world is the true life"

    "She's had it!!"

  7. #7

    Cool

    The effect of torpedos is greatly reduced by having all 3 men on "Water" stations AS or IMMEDIATELY after they hit in my experience. Slows down flooding quite a bit.

  8. #8
    When you're playing with people who know what they are doing, it's almost impossible to win as the americans. The Japanese airfields seem to have more AA, and you cant 'torpedo' an airfield. That leaves only dive bombing which is easy to defend against. As the japanese, you can get some aircraft through to the carriers (even if they are heavily defended by wildcats) if you group dive bombers and torpedo bombers together and scatter the fighter cover.

    If you do manage to get some hits against the airfields and not focus your planes against the airfields, the BB ships will most certainly pummel your carriers from a distance.

    It takes a lot of skill, coordination and some luck to win as the americans. I'd be interested in hearing how others have won against people who know how to play the game.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,274
    Originally Posted by Digby5000
    When you're playing with people who know what they are doing, it's almost impossible to win as the americans. The Japanese airfields seem to have more AA, and you cant 'torpedo' an airfield. That leaves only dive bombing which is easy to defend against. As the japanese, you can get some aircraft through to the carriers (even if they are heavily defended by wildcats) if you group dive bombers and torpedo bombers together and scatter the fighter cover.

    If you do manage to get some hits against the airfields and not focus your planes against the airfields, the BB ships will most certainly pummel your carriers from a distance.

    It takes a lot of skill, coordination and some luck to win as the americans. I'd be interested in hearing how others have won against people who know how to play the game.

    Think your not quite right with that. Good tactics and you will win with any side but there are more complications with the americans. If you take out the Jap shipyard that produces battleships quikly with dive bombers and protect your shipyards from enemy aircraft then your battleships can move on the airfields.
    You do need close co-operation between the carriers or 1 person on both that knows what they are doing. If you then give some of your fighter cover to the BB's then the battle is won! The big mistake with the americans is to go for the airfields first. you will endure too many losses.

  10. #10
    when you are the Americans, you should have a shipyard make a destroyer (because they are fast) and get it to go to the far right of the map go around the island with the japanese shipyards and come at the shipyards from behind, i find that this works well because it gives the enemy enough time to get away from their shipyards and get into a battle so that they can't just turn around and kill the DD
    Sincerity is the key to life, once you can fake that you’ve got it made

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by princecaspian4
    when you are the Americans, you should have a shipyard make a destroyer (because they are fast) and get it to go to the far right of the map go around the island with the japanese shipyards and come at the shipyards from behind, i find that this works well because it gives the enemy enough time to get away from their shipyards and get into a battle so that they can't just turn around and kill the DD
    yeah thats a good idea but if i were the japs, i would see your ship and bomb it before it even got near the island
    Battleship\

    (Nav.) An armor-plated man-of-war built of steel and heavily armed, generally having from ten thousand to fifteen thousand tons displacement, and intended to be fit to meet the heaviest ships in line of battle.
    Destroyer\

    A small, fast, highly maneuverable warship armed with guns, torpedoes, depth charges, and guided missiles.


    http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7...edragon6wz.gif

  12. #12
    looking at this from a strategic perspective, I say launch dive bombers and fighters. Make the shipyard the 1st target. While making the carriers fall back. Get escorts from your shipyard and keep the IJN busy. Plus am a IJN submariner on the demo so destroyers can run interference on carrier approaches, quite well.

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by andy3536
    Think your not quite right with that. Good tactics and you will win with any side but there are more complications with the americans. If you take out the Jap shipyard that produces battleships quikly with dive bombers and protect your shipyards from enemy aircraft then your battleships can move on the airfields.
    You do need close co-operation between the carriers or 1 person on both that knows what they are doing. If you then give some of your fighter cover to the BB's then the battle is won! The big mistake with the americans is to go for the airfields first. you will endure too many losses.

    Ive had some luck with arming the wildcats with bombs and engaging aircraft as they attack the carriers. Once this is done, the fighters can quickly dive bomb the japanese airfields with some success.

    Again, it takes coordination and teamwork above all. Public games usually don't have much of that.

  14. #14
    One thing I found, is that a Fletcher North of the Carriers is priceless.

    Last match I did this (sending a Renown, to attack). I scored 7400 points, destroying 20+ total planes, plus the Fletcher has the Depth Charge to protect the Carriers should a Submarine come a prowling.

  15. #15

    Fairly Balanced

    I've almost taken out the ship yards with 3 Squadrons of Dive bombers launched from carrier in the very beginning. And had it done to me from the other side. So if either side can almost take out the ship yards with well aimed first strikes, then anyone can win. Also nearly taken out carrier with first wave of torp planes. However, most matches come down to whose got the better BB player.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    29
    4 fighters
    2 torps

    1 destroyer to help defend the carriers with AA flak

    the 2 torps are used to turn the sea battle into the american favour, but dont hit too early

    wait until the renown is in range of the kongo and then help finish it off

    send carriers south / toward the island. Let the naval units take out the shipyards first

    always using your fighters to keep the japanese bombers/torps out of contention.

  17. #17
    My strategy, if I have a Carrier Class, is to launch one wave of F6F Wildcats and two waves of Avengers, because they can carry all three optional weapons. (One fitted with 1000lbs. torpedo and the other with 1000lbs. bomb) The Wildcats follow the Avengers in to the naval bases and bomb it, and the Avengers fitted with Torpedoes attack any ship the Japs launch. After the payloads are out, you just repeat until both naval bases are destroyed. The Japs are at a distinct disadvantage now, and they are weak without their naval forces. At this point, you can focus on the airfields with The SBD Dauntlesses and spare Avengers. During all of this, my carrier is probably somewhere in the Southwest region of the battlefield, I will most likely put it behind the naval bases, where the enemy torpedo planes have a hard time coming in. (Also, the flak guns from your naval yard will attack any aircraft that attempts to fly over the mountain.)

  18. #18
    Originally Posted by Theaus
    However, most matches come down to whose got the better BB player.
    not if you have someone good in a sub, i've killed 3 BB's in one game (i also got 2 CA's) and i think that i have done more then that in other games (i just can't remember ), one sub can stop a fleet of surface ships before they get to your shipyards or carriers, and then you just reposition them, and wait for the enemy to come again, and you just do that until you run out of torps
    Sincerity is the key to life, once you can fake that you’ve got it made

  19. #19

    Exclamation

    What i do to protect my carrier is send 1 group of fighters and voor the rest dive bombers to destroy there shipyard cuz i am the perfect target for ships (carrier)
    I'm Dutch

    I've you are going trouh hell keep going:scratch:http://www.glop.org/gamercard/card/a...lantag-TRN.png

    come join the clan roughnecks at www.z8.invisionfree.com/the_roughnecks

  20. #20
    Send two destroyers straight to the Japanese airfield and send two battleships/cruisers to engage the Japanese fleet. Unless the Japanese plot the right course at the very beginning of the game they will not be able to engage your destroyers with any effect. When you engage the Japanese with your big ships you will get torn apart, but by the time you get sunk your destroyers will be shelling the airfields. After you wipe the airfields swing around the airfield island and head to the shipyards.

  21. #21
    well it varies for me, if im using the base attacks my priority if im in the carriers its defence, so its either zeros and 2 lots of torp bombers,

    or 2 lots of wildcats and one flight with depth charges.
    sometimes i only send out wildcats, to look after battleships and harbours, once im well behind the harbour with my carrier i will consider a attacking flight.


    i havent really had the oppertunity to attack en masse with carriers because im the main target for everything in sight. and everyone else is off doing theyre own thing.

    someone will send me a destroyer one of these days.

  22. #22
    Well since i dont have many hours in game my Carriers usually look like a slab of ribs on the grill on the 4th of July.

  23. #23
    My carrier strategy is simple.

    One squadron of wildcats for each carrier to guard against air attack.

    And then four squadrons of dauntlesses to immediately take out his battleship shipyard.

    During this whole time I'm trying to park the carrier on the backside of the island.

    Once his shipyard is out of the way I begin alternating between dive bomber squadrons and torpedo bombers until the naval threat is gone, after that I just pick apart his airbases.

Similar Threads

  1. How do I invite new players? (Warband Pack)
    By Grishnak in forum Nosgoth General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th Aug 2014, 19:40
  2. Spanking new TOTAL OVERDOSE microsite
    By MissLara2U in forum Total Overdose - General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th Aug 2005, 23:31
  3. i have a GeForce4 440 go graphics card
    By mclwebster in forum Deus Ex - Technical Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27th Jun 2004, 11:35
  4. Was this TR backstory inconsistency ever explained?
    By Randy G in forum Tomb Raider Series General Discussion & Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th Apr 2003, 18:54