Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Demo level details

Demo level details

Demo level details

Well everyone, now the Xbox demo date has been released, here are a few details and screenshots about the level to whet your appetite!

Map: Islands of Solomon

Historical Perspective
    Japanese forces occupied the Solomon Islands in January 1942. The counter-attack was led by the United States; the 1st Division of the US Marine Corps landed on Guadalcanal and Tulagi in August 1942. Some of the bitterest fighting of World War II took place on the islands for almost three years. Tulagi, the seat of the British administration on the island of Nggela Sule in Central Province was destroyed in the heavy fighting following landings by the US Marines. Then the tough battle for Guadalcanal, which was centred on the capture of the airfield led to the development of the adjacent town of Honiara as the United States logistics centre.

Controllable units / player slots:

Allied

Player 1 – Aircraft carrier with full compliment of aircraft (fighters, torpedo planes and dive-bombers)

Player 2 - Aircraft carrier with full compliment of aircraft (fighters, torpedo planes and dive-bombers)

Player 3 – Shipyard with destroyers, cruisers and battleships (2 can be launched at any one time)

Player 4 – Shipyard with destroyers, cruisers and subs (2 can be launched at any one time)

Japanese

Player 1 – Airfield with full compliment of aircraft (fighters, torpedo planes and dive-bombers)

Player 2 - Airfield carrier with full compliment of aircraft (fighters, torpedo planes and dive-bombers)

Player 3 – Shipyard with destroyers, cruisers and battleships (2 can be launched at any one time)

Player 4 – Shipyard with destroyers, cruisers and subs (2 can be launched at any one time)

NB: Players can share units. If you take player/slot one for example you are not always limited to just air combat – you can swap a unit with a team-mate and take command of a ship or sub as well.

In terms of the famous units involved; one of the carriers is the USS Yorktown and the Japanese battleship is the Kongo class I believe. There are also Wildcat and Zero fighters, Dauntless dive bombers and Avenger torpedo planes.

The basic objective is to destroy the opposing team’s carriers / airfields / shipyards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I see i'm going to be player 4 alot LOL.

Thanks Keir!
    Xbox Ambassador
    United States

player 3 for me! i cant wait!

Hey Kier Long time lurker, finally had to register

We're totally stoked about the demo, and I'm wondering if it'll be going out on the standard release schedule? (9am GMT)? If so, I'll be staying up for it

-Andy

Originally Posted by GamerAndy

We're totally stoked about the demo, and I'm wondering if it'll be going out on the standard release schedule? (9am GMT)? If so, I'll be staying up for it

-Andy
    Good piont, is it wirth checking at midnight gmt???? Have to work tomorrow

Oh, and Japan 2 for me Hooray for land based anti-air

Awesome, Keir! I can't wait to try it out!

Player 2 - Airfield carrier with full compliment of aircraft (fighters, torpedo planes and dive-bombers)
    Airfield carrier??
    "The next world is the true life"

"She's had it!!"

Will the same map be featured for PC?

Originally Posted by andy3536
    Good piont, is it wirth checking at midnight gmt???? Have to work tomorrow
    content almost never releases at midnight gmt - SOP is 1am PST for arcade titles, but demos tend to be a bit iffy on releases

content almost never releases at midnight gmt - SOP is 1am PST for arcade titles, but demos tend to be a bit iffy on releases
    Oh bugger!

I suddenly feel rather ill, cough, cough

-Andy
    Welcome!

Good question. Times for the demo are: 15:00 GMT, 16:00 CET, 07:00 PST.

Originally Posted by Divine_Wind
    Awesome, Keir! I can't wait to try it out!

Airfield carrier??
    Typo!

Originally Posted by imnotcanadian
    Will the same map be featured for PC?
    Yup

see you guys in the heat of battle...

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    Hot dog! That reads great but I don't get home from work till 8am PST so I will be joining a little late.

am i the only pc user who is depressed
    Battleship\

(Nav.) An armor-plated man-of-war built of steel and heavily armed, generally having from ten thousand to fifteen thousand tons displacement, and intended to be fit to meet the heaviest ships in line of battle.
    Destroyer\

A small, fast, highly maneuverable warship armed with guns, torpedoes, depth charges, and guided missiles.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7...edragon6wz.gif

Originally Posted by Capt:.Cavan
    am i the only pc user who is depressed
    Safe to say that you're not. Sorry about this, if I had it my way they'd go out together

I'll press for some info for you.

The timing is perfect. It lands on Live about an hour or so before I get home from work and I have a three day weekend to sink my teeth into it. Great timing guys! Of course this is assuming it's already through the certification process and there is nothing that could push this back.

I think its safe to assume that if the details arn't coming out until less than 24 hours before it releases, that it's a definite thing

(Keir also gave us a specific hour it'll be out, which is also indicative of this)

I think its safe to assume that if the details arn't coming out until less than 24 hours before it releases, that it's a definite thing

(Keir also gave us a specific hour it'll be out, which is also indicative of this)

Clever, i could fall ill at 14.30 gmt and go home

Cough, cough

True, but this certification thing has caused issues in the past with specific timed releases (MK3?) and pre-announced ones (Crackdown). I believe Lost Planet even had an issue or something before it was released and it was advertised in magazines as to when it would be released.

True enough, but all signs point to "this is actually happening"

btw, I dropped kotaku a line about the demo and these new details (as well as links to some older youtubed footage) hoping the demo will get some coverage and a bit of hype for the game

Can anybody think of other places we should drop lines about it?

People may have to agree to a 'non-aggression' pact prior to starting the game so we have time to figure out how to play!

Keir - Any chance you can post the user manual prior to the demo release so we aren't cannon fodder for the first few rounds? You might get out of answering some of the developer questions with this too (that list is growing out of control btw )

Thanks for all your involvement here. Im sure I speak for everyone in saying that it has been greatly appreciated.

True enough, but all signs point to "this is actually happening"

btw, I dropped kotaku a line about the demo and these new details (as well as links to some older youtubed footage) hoping the demo will get some coverage and a bit of hype for the game

Can anybody think of other places we should drop lines about it?

I'm assuming it's happening as well and can't wait for it. It's on the calender.

Maybe Joystiq would be good as well. I can't do it since work filters keep me from that site.

Originally Posted by Digby5000
    People may have to agree to a 'non-aggression' pact prior to starting the game so we have time to figure out how to play!

Keir - Any chance you can post the user manual prior to the demo release so we aren't cannon fodder for the first few rounds? You might get out of answering some of the developer questions with this too (that list is growing out of control btw )

Thanks for all your involvement here. Im sure I speak for everyone in saying that it has been greatly appreciated.

The trouble with that is you may be the only one of the 8 that doesn't know. You just have to hope that they will be patient with you

I cant wait ooooohhh i am getting crazy
    I'm Dutch

I've you are going trouh hell keep going:scratch:http://www.glop.org/gamercard/card/a...lantag-TRN.png

come join the clan roughnecks at www.z8.invisionfree.com/the_roughnecks

Question

When is it comin out and in EST please. Also, Keir do u have ur GT set so u can play us?
    Thanks in advance. Good luck at Launch and Online!!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ---Robert Frost.
    -=)CSF(=-XGamerms999
    http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/...ilies/Thud.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 Last