Thread: Few questions

Few questions

Few questions

Who will be the service provider hosting the Nosgoth servers? What is their geolocations.

Will there be custom arenas available and if so what customisation options are planned for them?

Will the game be shipping with full/working/sensible spectator functions?

Will there be in built voip in the game client or will players have to use third party programs?

What clan/team infrastructure/management is planned?

Thanks in advance and sorry if these have already been answered I did a brief search and found nothing.

Is there anywhere that isn't just a fan-fiction circle jerk that I can ask these questions?

Originally Posted by Oroibahazopi
    Who will be the service provider hosting the Nosgoth servers? What is their geolocations.
    Location rollout is still TBD. Initially it's only in Amsterdam but we will be testing different locations in Europe and North America as the alpha and beta expands.

Will there be custom arenas available and if so what customisation options are planned for them?
    We currently have no plans for customizing combat arenas in any way.

Will the game be shipping with full/working/sensible spectator functions?
    We aren't launching with spectator functionality in the beta, but can look at supporting it if there's a demand.

Will there be in built voip in the game client or will players have to use third party programs?
    VOIP is built in.

What clan/team infrastructure/management is planned?
    We plan on deploying Warbands (clan system) after Alpha that will allow you to invite friends, see their online status, and group up easily. We are considering a warband stash that would allow you to deposit items for use by other warband members.

The item stash sounds interesting. Makes me wonder what we could possibly see as items. Could we see weapons or would it just be customisaton options like wearable can gear?
    signature image

Thanks for the reply Corey.

Originally Posted by Psyonix_Corey
    Location rollout is still TBD. Initially it's only in Amsterdam but we will be testing different locations in Europe and North America as the alpha and beta expands.
    Sounds good. What about Asia/Pacific areas though?

We currently have no plans for customizing combat arenas in any way.
    Lack of private lockable servers will annoy people who want to train as a team, or want to PUG/scrim. Unless the warband thing below covers that. You can monetize that too by renting custom server space.

We aren't launching with spectator functionality in the beta, but can look at supporting it if there's a demand.
    Please do. First thing that comes to mind is that tournaments wont get casted, even if it's only small community tournies it's still free publicity.

I'd go further and ask for full demo playback support, for through the eyes replay or vetting of matches for cheaters, but that really hinges on what you've built the game on.

VOIP is built in.
    Very nice, I'm glad you didn't go down the "it causes too much abuse route". Just allow me to perma-mute someone in a blacklist and it's dandy.

We plan on deploying Warbands (clan system) after Alpha that will allow you to invite friends, see their online status, and group up easily. We are considering a warband stash that would allow you to deposit items for use by other warband members.
    Will you be able to set up PUGs and scrims by matching people in warbands? Will there be an IRC-esque chat accompanying that or will it rely on VoIP alone? Can you send PMs to offline people?

What kind of ranking system will you have if any? Will there be solo and team queues in PUBs?

Originally Posted by Oroibahazopi
    Thanks for the reply Corey.

Sounds good. What about Asia/Pacific areas though?
    I don't have anything to announce regarding those regions at this time.

Lack of private lockable servers will annoy people who want to train as a team, or want to PUG/scrim. Unless the warband thing below covers that. You can monetize that too by renting custom server space.
    We are supporting customizable Private matches, just not for the very initial Alpha release. I just meant you cannot customize the actual level in any way. But you can select team sizes, game mode, map, etc.

Please do. First thing that comes to mind is that tournaments wont get casted, even if it's only small community tournies it's still free publicity.

I'd go further and ask for full demo playback support, for through the eyes replay or vetting of matches for cheaters, but that really hinges on what you've built the game on.
    We have full demo playback functionality in the client that we use for bug reporting during development. We would just need to find dev time to polish it up for public consumption.

Will you be able to set up PUGs and scrims by matching people in warbands? Will there be an IRC-esque chat accompanying that or will it rely on VoIP alone? Can you send PMs to offline people?
    You can create a Private match lobby and invite friends, at which point you can customize teams, map, game mode, etc. as mentioned above.

What kind of ranking system will you have if any? Will there be solo and team queues in PUBs?
    I don't have any information to share at this time regarding this. We do think it would be interesting to support Warband / team rankings, but don't have a timeline for supporting this.

We are supporting customizable Private matches, just not for the very initial Alpha release. I just meant you cannot customize the actual level in any way. But you can select team sizes, game mode, map, etc.
    Would you be able to ban certain gear? It could be important depending on how regularly the team will be making balance passes.

We have full demo playback functionality in the client that we use for bug reporting during development. We would just need to find dev time to polish it up for public consumption.
    You may find this quoted some time in the far future I hope you realize this ^^

I don't have any information to share at this time regarding this. We do think it would be interesting to support Warband / team rankings, but don't have a timeline for supporting this.
    I would hope for at least a soloq/teamq split myself.

Again thanks for taking the time to answer these, I appreciate it.

Damn. Looks like I'll be waiting a while, here I am all the way on the west coast of the US. By the way, are Alpha testers allowed to share their initial thoughts on the current build? Without being to explicit of course. I'm just dying for some info on the game.

Originally Posted by TendrilSavant
    Damn. Looks like I'll be waiting a while, here I am all the way on the west coast of the US. By the way, are Alpha testers allowed to share their initial thoughts on the current build? Without being to explicit of course. I'm just dying for some info on the game.
    Psyonix is West Coast as well, so we are eager to get it deployed Stateside as well, don't fret.

Alpha testers are under NDA for the time being and can't share impressions without breaking NDA.

Hey Corey,

Gameplay related question, is there any blocking system in this game?

I've recently been playing "War of the Vikings", its a game still in alpha on steam but has early access (I believe their first game was called "War of the Roses")... Not sure if you know anything about it but I was wondering if the fight sequences of this game played anything like that?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by schmooboddy
    Hey Corey,

Gameplay related question, is there any blocking system in this game?

I've recently been playing "War of the Vikings", its a game still in alpha on steam but has early access (I believe their first game was called "War of the Roses")... Not sure if you know anything about it but I was wondering if the fight sequences of this game played anything like that?

Thanks!
    Hi Schmooboddy,

After watching a few War of the Vikings videos on YouTube, it looks like it's strikingly similar to Chivalry: Medieval Warfare which many of us played and enjoyed earlier this year at Psyonix.

That said, I wouldn't say our sequences play all that similarly. Chivalry (and, it looks like, WotV) is a sort of floaty, joust-driven game where lots of melee combatants circle strafe eachother, swinging weapons and trying to dance out of the enemy's range. Archery's pretty slow and limited in my experience with Chivalry.

The main differences I would highlight are:
    - All of our classes have special abilities that are crucial to mastering them, so fights rarely are just melee swings vs. arrows. The Tyrant might use his "Charge" to close distance quickly, but the Hunter can use his "Bola" to ensnare the Tyrant and disable his melee attacks for a few seconds.
    - Vampire melee is designed for gap closing and momentum and not jousting. Your swipes carry you forwards into your opponent.
    - Human weapons are a lot more potent than the bows in Chivalry (and I'm assuming WotV). The Scout's Longbow does have a charge up phase that controls somewhat similarly to what you might see in these other titles, but he can also fire rapid unaimed shots in close quarters, so he's a lot more dangerous.