Thread: Trainers crashing to beat the band...

Trainers crashing to beat the band...

Exclamation Trainers crashing to beat the band...

I've encountered a really awful problem with my US version of RD; something decides to crash the game immediately to desktop upon use of any of a multitude of trainers; certain options (unlimited health or ammo in particular) do it every time and further, on my system, lock up the executable (XP gives me some crap abut it causing kernel32.dll to fatal out, which I know damn well it can't be doing repeatably; I think the new SecuRom is to blame for this gem) so that the only way to launch the game is through another app (i.e. a batch file or the Pizzadox trainer which provides a button for same). I tried Support's suggestion of using the rightclick Analyze feature, which promptly generates a file in Cyrillic addressed to SecuRom, and on the wrong hard drive, yet ("sure, everyone knows C: is the system disk designation, why bother coding another line?").

I have two guesses as to why and how this is happening, but neither of them I can figure a way to do anything about. The first option is that the version (UK release, maybe?) of the game used to make seven different trainers (before the game was released in the US) is different enough from my US version codewise to screw everything up (yikes); the second idea is that it's version-independent and rather due to the game copy protection not liking something altering the executable while it's running (SecuRom screwing things up? Surprise, surprise!) and locking things up. I tend toward the latter as I've had ghastly copy-protection nightmares following a botched ghost which left a lot of things out of whack, especially those hidden so that I can't fix them.

Anyone else having this issue, or one like it? Anyone have a suggestion to resolve it? I've already tried the obvious things, like trying different timings of when to execute the trainer, &c, but none to any avail. The game doesn't generate a crashlog when it dies, so I have no further information barring some kind of stepped debugger, the output of which I am nowhere near qualified to interpret. Love the game, incredibly frustrated by the situation. Help!

Does it crash when you don't use the trainer? Because if it doesn't you will need to find the people that made the trainer as I'm pretty sure it's not Eidos, and ask them why it crashes, they made the trainer afterall.

Res dogs

What is the error that pops up?
    Originally Posted by 1ke
    I've encountered a really awful problem with my US version of RD; something decides to crash the game immediately to desktop upon use of any of a multitude of trainers; certain options (unlimited health or ammo in particular) do it every time and further, on my system, lock up the executable (XP gives me some crap abut it causing kernel32.dll to fatal out, which I know damn well it can't be doing repeatably; I think the new SecuRom is to blame for this gem) so that the only way to launch the game is through another app (i.e. a batch file or the Pizzadox trainer which provides a button for same). I tried Support's suggestion of using the rightclick Analyze feature, which promptly generates a file in Cyrillic addressed to SecuRom, and on the wrong hard drive, yet ("sure, everyone knows C: is the system disk designation, why bother coding another line?").

I have two guesses as to why and how this is happening, but neither of them I can figure a way to do anything about. The first option is that the version (UK release, maybe?) of the game used to make seven different trainers (before the game was released in the US) is different enough from my US version codewise to screw everything up (yikes); the second idea is that it's version-independent and rather due to the game copy protection not liking something altering the executable while it's running (SecuRom screwing things up? Surprise, surprise!) and locking things up. I tend toward the latter as I've had ghastly copy-protection nightmares following a botched ghost which left a lot of things out of whack, especially those hidden so that I can't fix them.

Anyone else having this issue, or one like it? Anyone have a suggestion to resolve it? I've already tried the obvious things, like trying different timings of when to execute the trainer, &c, but none to any avail. The game doesn't generate a crashlog when it dies, so I have no further information barring some kind of stepped debugger, the output of which I am nowhere near qualified to interpret. Love the game, incredibly frustrated by the situation. Help!
    Francesca Zulueta
    Customer Support Representative
    http://www.eidos.com
    http://support.eidosinteractive.com/.../FaqSearch.jsp