Thread: Taking over military settlements...

Taking over military settlements...

Taking over military settlements...

... is insanely difficult and frustrating. The on to the far southwest on a small island is one that's really ticking me off. I talk to the rebel, the liberation starts, and all of a sudden two randomly generated army vehicles (usually the tank and missle tank) fly out of nowhere to greet us. Proceed with both of them blowing the crap out of me, rinse and repeat.

Sometimes I'm able to get inside of one, but I'm quickly beat up by the other vehicle. If by some miracle I manage to get to the next checkpoint, The next tank destroys me, either by blowing me up or by forcing me out and blowing me up while I'm on foot.

There are always 2+ tanks at every checkpoint, all of them destroy me before I get a chance to take them over, and attack from the air is impossible because of numerous missile turrets.

Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas to make this just a little easier?

is it the army base los islas defence Hq or castillo military base?

The defense hq. funny story, I got it. That took hours and hours, lots of vehicle jumping and long range bombardment of vehicles through the jungle. Wow.

Anyone else find that especially hard? And why do I sometimes get the 'settlement liberation failed' message while I'm running to the freaking tanks I have to destroy?

there are a quite a few tanks i got killed a few times but i did it

I always airdrop my GP and spam those rockets.

Originally Posted by Rhineville
    The defense hq. funny story, I got it. That took hours and hours, lots of vehicle jumping and long range bombardment of vehicles through the jungle. Wow.

Anyone else find that especially hard? And why do I sometimes get the 'settlement liberation failed' message while I'm running to the freaking tanks I have to destroy?
    I've had the "Liberation Failed" message mid-liberation loads of times - doesn't make any sense, I was always inside the base, not dead, not even being fired on sometimes.

Anyway, another way to knock out a base is to get close in a copter with rockets and land outside, flying in low to avoid the SAMs. Stroll in to the base, and bomb or grenade the SAM launchers. The soldiers will shoot at you but they'll miss as usual - the tanks don't seem to come out though - then the soldiers will give up after a bit. Once you've knocked out the launchers, find the contact to start the liberation, jump in the copter and blow the crap out of anything that moves from the air (remembering to keep moving to avoid being hit by the tanks before you take them out). The SAMs won't have respawned.

Alternatively, if you can't get a copter close enough, get a GP dropped just before starting the liberation, but it's harder to avoid the tanks unless you get them first using the faster rate of fire in the GP..

Originally Posted by Steamrunner
    I've had the "Liberation Failed" message mid-liberation loads of times - doesn't make any sense, I was always inside the base, not dead, not even being fired on sometimes.
    I've gotten that same thing. I will be in a helicopter killing enemies by the dozens and all of a sudden "Liberation Failed." I'm like "wtf...seemed to be going pretty well to me?"

I've come to believe that there is some kind of undisclosed time limit for each objective in a Liberation, and if you don't do it by then, you fail. If this is the case, it would be nice if they told you that. There also seems to be a very rigid area on the map that you HAVE to stay inside, otherwise the game considers you to have abandoned the liberation attempt, and you fail. There's also the possibility that if all your "teammates" die before completing an objective that you fail. None of this is explained at all and any/all of these need to be fixed.

As to the original question for this thread:
    The absolute best way I've found to take over army bases (or any liberation for that matter) is to steal a tank. Tanks in this game are nigh industructable, and with the auto-aim on the machine guns, you mow down all enemy troops in seconds. The auto-aim on the main cannon makes short work of any helicopters or blockades too. You will often see tanks stuck on blockades when attempting to take over bases -- this is the perfect chance to steal them.
    Stealing the smaller tank-like trucks however, is more difficult, and I have often been run over by them instantly.

Originally Posted by Rhineville
    Anyone else find that especially hard?
    i just used my rocket luancher and stole the big tank

The worst part is definitely the rapid fire sniper tanks.

Its things like this I hope they work on fixing first in JC2.

Originally Posted by Poor Bison
    The worst part is definitely the rapid fire sniper tanks.

Its things like this I hope they work on fixing first in JC2.
    i hate it when they constantly bombard you, and you die within seconds

Mako Hammerhead

Aviv Panthera

'Nuff said.

I try to use the bunkers as cover to flank around the tanks and use the Hammerhead to destroy them.

In my opinion i get the Sawn off when i feel special or the Blizzard, i take out the tanks usually by hi-jacking another.
    signature image

Hijack tank after tank to get rid of them or just stay well out of their way. If you kill troops and destroy blockades whilst putting distance between you and them they don't alays follow.

The Los Islas capture isn't too bad. It's easier if you make sure to get a nearby safehouse unlocked.