Thread: Is that...*squints*....a volcano?

Is that...*squints*....a volcano?

Originally Posted by Swagraven
    Yes, there is a volcano in Nosgoth. Dark Eden was surrounded by lava.

Edit: Good old Blood Omen and it's map...
    http://www.dark-chronicle.co.uk/bo1/mapbig1.php
    I was about 12 seconds from linking to the exact same image. Yes. There might be a volcano. What of it? There has been volcanic activity in Nosgoth before.

you could still just assume Dark Eden was corrupting and warp up stuff so it looked that way - besides which the volcano in the trailer is clearly not dark eden

Originally Posted by CountEyokir
    you could still just assume Dark Eden was corrupting and warp up stuff so it looked that way - besides which the volcano in the trailer is clearly not dark eden
    Does it need to be? I fail to see the lore bending going on by the presence of a volcano. Are we going to have people continually freaking out over trivial details every time we get a new look at Nosgoth? I just don't get some people's fascination with volcanoes and palm trees to be honest.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Reidbynature
    Does it need to be? I fail to see the lore bending going on by the presence of a volcano. Are we going to have people continually freaking out over trivial details every time we get a new look at Nosgoth? I just don't get some people's fascination with volcanoes and palm trees to be honest.
    Reason over palmtrees - not really fitting Nosgoth's general flora and now admitted set pieces straight from Dead Sun (along with other things)

Reason over Volcano - Agreed, not really a big concern but without some sort of background story to explain why its there - it is going to see out of place

Reason over palmtrees - not really fitting Nosgoth's general flora and now admitted set pieces straight from Dead Sun (along with other things)

Reason over Volcano - Agreed, not really a big concern but without some sort of background story to explain why its there - it is going to see out of place
    See this is what I'm getting at. Do we really need to explain trivial details? The palm trees gripe about dead sun and whether it would have existed in Nosgoth's environment I get, but I don't see it as a big deal myself. Volcanoes however I just don't bat an eye lid. I don't see the need for a 'lore explanation' there or even for palm trees if they keep them.

I just think that some people are way too literal minded when it comes to these things. They didn't see it in previous games so it must not have existed at all or the Razielim are all dead because they were immediately executed based on a few lines, but no real proof. Things like that I just think some people get ideas in their head and are just way too inflexible.
    Last edited by Reidbynature; 4th Oct 2013 at 16:56.
    signature image

but that's the sorta thing - the lore is a bit... based too much on "you have no proof it wasn't" - which coming from a story telling aspect is a bit thin and wishy washy, unimpressive. But besides that, like I said, Volcano didn't a bit deal but I just don't want one popping up in the middle of Nosgoth's central plain without explanation, especially since its not there in Soul Reaver

No more 'wishy washy' than some fans absolute insistence on certain things even though they nothing more than "I feel they should..." when arguing for what should and should not be.
    signature image

No more 'wishy washy' than some fans absolute insistence on certain things even though they nothing more than "I feel they should..." when arguing for what should and should not be.
    I feel I'm repeating myself across several forums topics. I have no problem with the lore they bring up so long as is somehow meaningful to characters to which it has consequence. I mean more character then just generics with a bit of player customisation. How emotionally invested can you be with dozens of copies of the same guy running around battering reach other to death until our favourite blue wraith stops taking his bath, all controlled by random johnnies in real life? Give me a character with deep character in WHATEVER form and it would be a different story.

I feel I'm repeating myself across several forums topics.
    Well you do seem a bit 'one track mind' when it comes to certain things.
    signature image

Well you do seem a bit 'one track mind' when it comes to certain things.
    Only because I have only ONE problem with Nosgoth. Correct that problem and I'm perfectly ok with this game and will accept it. Also - please be respectful. Nowhere have I accused anyone else of critical thought faults.

... the volcano as its clearly surrounded by a tropical setting and the only volcano on Nosgoth's map (nebulous I think considering Dark Eden warps everything) is in the north, as far away from a possible tropical setting as possible.
    Actually, the map that the volcano is in doesn't have a single palm tree in it and is in fact located (geographically) quite a distance from the map with the palm trees.

Originally Posted by Psyonix_Eric
    Actually, the map that the volcano is in doesn't have a single palm tree in it and is in fact located (geographically) quite a distance from the map with the palm trees.
    Ah that is more like it. Having palm trees is still a bit odd but..nevermind. Are you permitted to tell us whereabouts this volcano is located?

Ah that is more like it. Having palm trees is still a bit odd but..nevermind. Are you permitted to tell us whereabouts this volcano is located?
    I seriously wish I could but I think that's out of my control to disclose that info. I will say that you were correct about it being in the north, if that helps any.

ahhhhhh now this I like the look of. I actually came up with the idea of a volcano myself in my own lore... nice to see great minds think alike XDDDDD lol jk

Also - please be respectful.
    Would you quit it already? Stop overreacting every time you're in a discussion. I was being civil.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Psyonix_Eric
    I seriously wish I could but I think that's out of my control to disclose that info. I will say that you were correct about it being in the north, if that helps any.
    Hi Eric, thanks for Coming toth founs to discuss with us fans!

I hope you can amswer my question:

Why and who made the decision for the vampires not to have three digit hands, pointy ears and no fangs whatsoever? Also why they didn wear their Clan symbols in game?

Thank you

You have a funny way of showing it by accusing me of having a one track mind. I was sticking to substance.

Originally Posted by soulrelic666
    Hi Eric, thanks for Coming toth founs to discuss with us fans!

I hope you can amswer my question:

Why and who made the decision for the vampires not to have three digit hands, pointy ears and no fangs whatsoever? Also why they didn wear their Clan symbols in game?

Thank you
    I agree. Give the Razielim these alterations please!!!
    Last edited by The_Hylden; 4th Oct 2013 at 20:01. Reason: Merged double posts

You have a funny way of showing it by accusing me of having a one track mind.
    Why are you so keen to overreact? I don't see the insult. One it's a fair claim. Second you essentially agreed with me in your reply. Most here seem to be able to have an open and free discussion here, but you seem all too ready to imagine slights against you. Which is funny since I've seen you defend the trolling behaviour of others and state it takes effort on your part not to do the same. You seem to want things both ways.

I was sticking to substance.
    You were dragging the discussion needlessly back to "I just want a story". That's not substance.
    signature image

Why are you so keen to overreact? I don't see the insult. One it's a fair claim. Second you essentially agreed with me in your reply. Most here seem to be able to have an open and free discussion here, but you seem all too ready to imagine slights against you. Which is funny since I've seen you defend the trolling behaviour of others and state it takes effort on your part not to do the same. You seem to want things both ways.

Defending trolling behaviour? When have I done this? I have claimed to understand disappointed fans anger, not condone their methods of expressing that anger. I bring up story over and over because it, along with a few other cosmetic details, are the only problems I have with the concept of the game. Its quite possible to incorporate deep story into a Multiplayer. Without that this has no appeal to me and I find that sad, because its the first game set in Nosgoth in years and I face a game I can only play for perhaps a month before getting bored of. To me, that's a travesty - leaving me to hope this sparks Kain's revival. You don't have to share my opinion but I see what others outside these forums type and its more or less the same thing...minus a few swear words.

You were dragging the discussion needlessly back to "I just want a story". That's not substance.
    How is that NOT substantive? In any case you are completely correct, this discussion was suppose to be about Volcanos in Nosgoth. That question answered now, there is one and it is in the north and away from questionable palm trees and Dead sun cranes.. Perfectly fine with that. Might even fit in with my own fanfictions, so double yummies for me!
    Last edited by CountEyokir; 4th Oct 2013 at 18:31.

Defending trolling behaviour? When have I done this? I have claimed to understand disappointed fans anger, not condone their methods of expressing that anger. I bring up story over and over because it, along with a few other cosmetic details, are the only problems I have with the concept of the game. Its quite possible to incorporate deep story into a Multiplayer. Without that this has no appeal to me and I find that sad, because its the first game set in Nosgoth in years and I face a game I can only play for perhaps a month before getting bored of. To me, that's a travesty - leaving me to hope this sparks Kain's revival. You don't have to share my opinion but I see what others outside these forums type and its more or less the same thing...minus a few swear words.

You seem to think swearing and acting disrespectful is fine when it's against Nosgoth judging by your post in the "I feel bad for the devs" thread. You make no distinction between sympathising for those who are angry and how they choose to express that anger. In fact you point out that it takes effort for you not to act the same.

That doesn't contrast well against your overreactions to others discussing your points of view in other threads when pleading that they remain civil. Nor does repeatedly pointing out that you could call people sheep, but choose not to. That's effectively still calling people sheep as you leave the impression that is what you think of people.

How is that NOT substantive? In any case you are completely correct, this discussion was suppose to be about Volcanos in Nosgoth. That question answered now, there is one and it is in the north and away from questionable palm trees and Dead sun cranes.. Perfectly fine with that. Might even fit in with my own fanfictions, so double yummies for me!

It wasn't part of the discussion we were having and you have made yourself clear on that point again and again. You did not need to crowbar "I want a deep story" into this discussion. Nosgoth is not story driven. Even if it does have some form of narrative attached to the main game itself it's not going to be comparable to previous games and will likely just be something to keep interest in the main premise of the game, the war for Nosgoth. I suggest you come to terms with some of your wants not coming to fruition.
    signature image

Okay folks, enough with the petty arguing on a personal level. Let's keep it constructive.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Originally Posted by Driber
    Okay folks, enough with the petty arguing on a personal level. Let's keep it constructive.
    Yes, agreed. My question involving volcanos was answered and I am perfectly happy with it. End of thread

Glad to hear that the volcanic activity has its placement thought out. However, if it were in another location, or better yet, multiple locations, it wouldn't be much of an issue. This is a world way past the Pillars' fall, and it's a world wracked with catechisms on its slow burn to the inevitable. It's like watching a slow apocalypse unfold. Earthquakes and the earth splitting apart, belching magma from its inner, dying core, doesn't seem out of place at all and could be happening in multiple mountain chain areas. Not very worried about that part.

As to the user above mentioning clearing up rumors, I feel that was directed my way. I was not going off of rumors. I've asked the others who were at the event and I was going off of how it was explained then. Whatever is the reason that wires were crossed in said explanation aside, it's good to have the information cleared up, I think now. I am not one to go spouting rumors and I do NOT post reactionary statements to ever mislead the fanbase.

Thought I'd clear that little bit up. Now, back to wayward fauna and sulfuric fury discussions

On a side note I think that it's possible/probable that any volcano active during this time period would likely be dead or dormant by Raziel's awakening in SR1.
    signature image

End of thread
    We will be the judge of that

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Page 3 of 4 First First 1234 Last