Thread: Questions for the developers

Questions for the developers

Originally Posted by chip5541
    Who on the dev team goes by the online handle of CmdrKoenig?
    Hi Chip, Rephix told me you are searching for me....
    I know we talked a couple of times years ago, but actually I've never been in the final dev team of Midway, I only worked on the first techdemo (four years ago!!!).

In fact I'm in the *other* post-Mithis company, Most Wanted Entertainment

Sorry.....

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    Originally Posted by CmdrKoenig
    Hi Chip, Rephix told me you are searching for me....
    I know we talked a couple of times years ago, but actually I've never been in the final dev team of Midway, I only worked on the first techdemo (four years ago!!!).

In fact I'm in the *other* post-Mithis company, Most Wanted Entertainment

Sorry.....

Well, color me embarrassed

How do you control the guns?

Hello all, i have a quick question. Ive been reading that the joysticks control the ships, one stick for steering, one stick for throttle, if thats the case, how do you control the gun turrets/anti aircraft guns etc? thank you,

Matt

Will this game be available as a download? (I.E direct to hard drive ala steam games?)

when will the game come out? everywhere i look i see a different date, most seem to be in January or February, but exactly when does it come out.

And will the PC and XBox versions be released at the same time?

TT

Post Question for developers

Why did you developers decide to cancel the xbox version and go only go xbox 360 as i cannot afford that please tell me why?!

I would think it was because the original X-box was being fazed out in place of the 360 so they made the decision to jump to teh 360.

I just got back from EB (gots me a PS3 ) and asked about Battlestations: Midway since there where alot of people in the store (hehehe nothing like getting the word out) and I asked about the release date. They have bother versions down for the 30th of January. I put $5 down on a preorder and got several other people attention.

thanks for telling me that, that means we only have to wait about 2 months.

Great news, Chip.

TT

if the game had come out before the 360 they would have made it for it
    but with the higher capabilities of the 360 and PC's in general why would you make a game that is outdated by 3 yrs when you want to promote the NEW SYSTEM that you just put out 1 yr ago
    Beastttt
    (Knotworking for a better tomorrow)
    The Bell of St.Ives (Sir John Perrot best customer at the Bell RPFS)
    The Royal Order of the Tudor Rose(Sir John Perrot Vice Admiral to the Seas of South Wales,Ireland and points West NCRF)
    Brutal Harmony/Ice Cream Social/Last Call (have no idea where that tenor came from I sing bass)

also the 360 has more power then the original x-box, so they can do more with it

another question, in multiplayer, will you be able to chose which ships you have in your fleet, or will everyone get the exact same fleet?

hi im Rayze i have read most of the questions and have a couple of my own.

If a shell hits the ship you are controling, say you are controling the guns, if a shell directly hits your back turret will it render it disabled but at the same time enable you to use your forward turrets? or is the damage detail not that specific? also if your ship is sinking untill your weapons are submurged can you still use them?

And on play.com it says the release date is 22/12/2007 i know play.com's dates change as the release dates change they keep upto date, so does this mean it is actualy out at that date or it is jan-feb like some people mention of?

apart from is there a demo before Xmas i think thats all from me.

thanks in advance
    Rayze

when a ship is firing at a target all the guns that bear on that target are slaved together(3 turrets as in the yamato=9 guns)
    should 1 of those turrets get knocked out then only 2 turrets will fire(6guns)

if the game is written to be true to history once the ship is in that much trouble the crew will either be abandoning ship or all are working to keep it afloatthe turrets are very heavy machinery on the order of hundreds of tons for battleships so they will need power to operate
    so you will need generators that are still on line to do that
    with a ship in that state the captian would order all power to propulsion and pumps to keep the ship afloat and retreat from battle space

Originally Posted by Rayze

If a shell hits the ship you are controling, say you are controling the guns, if a shell directly hits your back turret will it render it disabled but at the same time enable you to use your forward turrets? or is the damage detail not that specific? also if your ship is sinking untill your weapons are submurged can you still use them?

And on play.com it says the release date is 22/12/2007 i know play.com's dates change as the release dates change they keep upto date, so does this mean it is actualy out at that date or it is jan-feb like some people mention of?

thanks in advance
    Rayze
    Beastttt
    The Royal Order of the Tudor Rose(Sir John Perrot Vice Admiral to the Seas of South Wales,Ireland and points West NCRF)
    Brutal Harmony/Ice Cream Social/Last Call (have no idea where that tenor came from I sing bass)

i know, but i was wodering if this was going to be implemented into the game , as in yes i am maning my 3 16inch guns is it possible for me to try and nock out only guns, like is the damage system going to be that accurate or will it be so much damage the ship sinks, just wonderd if the damage system was indepth, that would be great i would love to slap a salvo into the rear end of a yammato and hear the driver complain he only has forward working turrets :P and as for hits to the bulge would that be after hit by so many direct torpedos would your ship be slowly sinking but still useable? i just generaly wanted a quick throw up on how the damage system is going to be like

i think that you can nock out individual guns (or turrets in the case of the main guns), and i think beastttt is right about when the ship is sinking, i would think that once a ship starts sinking, the crew would be more concerned with getting off,

yeah I would love to know this also
    from what I have gleened from the website this it what I have deduced
    1 fletcher and fubuki DD's will be virtually identical even though they had some major differences in real life
    sofar in the line up of ships we have these ships and there closest opponets posted so far IMHO
    Allied Japanese my opinion

Yamato nothing less than a N Carolina,S Dakota, or an Iowa class could take her on in a 1 on 1 fight

KGV Fuso/Ise close in fire power but KGV is much newer by 25 yrs

New York/Texas Kongo/Hiei both near the same age(WWI vintage but Kongo class were battle cruisers and much faster than the New York class(30kts vs 21kts)fire power 10x14" NY vs 8x14" Kongo

Repulse Kongo both the same age both BC's
    speed near equal firepower 6x15" for Repulse 8x14" for Kongo near equal but Repulse will have much better punch

not going to compare CV's this is a gun/torp comparision

N Hampton Takao/Mogami speed & firepower(Guns only) near equal the japanese have the advantage of Long Lance torpedoes and it is a big 1

York Takao/Mogami speed near equal less guns on York 6x8" vs 10x8" this Brit cruiser has 2 banks of 3 torps(21") compared to the Takao with 4 banks of 4 24" 2 banks per side and the long laances are more powerful and much longer ranged and faster than the 21"

Cleveland Kuma speed near equal gun firepower Cleveland walks all over the Kuma Kuma has 4 banks of 2 24"torps Cleveland has none also the Kitakami and Oi are part of this class and before the war were converted to torpedoe cuisers with 10 banks of 4 torpedoes plus reloads and yes these are the 24" long lance and they are monsters

Atlanta Kuma speed near equal gun fire power Atlanta has 16 5" guns and can bear 14 to a broadside to Kuma's 7 guns 6 for a broadside Atlanta has 2 banks of 4 torpedoes 21" see above for Kuma

i know, but i was wodering if this was going to be implemented into the game , as in yes i am maning my 3 16inch guns is it possible for me to try and nock out only guns, like is the damage system going to be that accurate or will it be so much damage the ship sinks, just wonderd if the damage system was indepth, that would be great i would love to slap a salvo into the rear end of a yammato and hear the driver complain he only has forward working turrets :P and as for hits to the bulge would that be after hit by so many direct torpedos would your ship be slowly sinking but still useable? i just generaly wanted a quick throw up on how the damage system is going to be like
    Beastttt

I had a friend on american carrier during the suez crisis and there was a bit of a misunderstanding with the British he was the fire contol director for the 5" guns on the carrier the range was under 1 mile and he was aming for a Brit cruisers(WW2 vintage)range finders and said hta at that range he would have gotten the hits he wanted but that further out you just aiming for center of mass
    also any of the naval games I have played have had a random hit location most based on what the % of the ship the item took up in each turret on a BB was about 2% of the area

Beastttt

Will there even be DC parties involved? (damage control/repair)

Having had a chance to play this one, yes it is a comprehensive damage system. Be prepared to have firecrews on hand when a fire breaks out in the lower decks from a direct hit on your powder room.

Guns blazin all the way to the bottom. You'll be cruising like the titanic and still laying shots into there bow.

YOU TEASE!!!

Originally Posted by ma1746@juno.com
    Hello all, i have a quick question. Ive been reading that the joysticks control the ships, one stick for steering, one stick for throttle, if thats the case, how do you control the gun turrets/anti aircraft guns etc? thank you,

Matt
    With ships one stick controls the throttle and rudder and the other stick controls the camera/aiming crosshair.

Originally Posted by OperationPhoenix
    Will this game be available as a download? (I.E direct to hard drive ala steam games?)
    Afraid not.

Originally Posted by princecaspian4
    when will the game come out? everywhere i look i see a different date, most seem to be in January or February, but exactly when does it come out.
    There is no official announcement yet. (You're on the right lines Just don't mention I said anything )

Originally Posted by timetraveller
    And will the PC and XBox versions be released at the same time?

TT
    Yes, yes they will.

Originally Posted by chip5541
    I just got back from EB (gots me a PS3 ) and asked about Battlestations: Midway since there where alot of people in the store (hehehe nothing like getting the word out) and I asked about the release date. They have bother versions down for the 30th of January. I put $5 down on a preorder and got several other people attention.
    You rock

Originally Posted by princecaspian4
    another question, in multiplayer, will you be able to chose which ships you have in your fleet, or will everyone get the exact same fleet?
    Each multiplayer map has a pre determined number of ships/aircraft which vary in class. The levels play out with this number of ships/aircraft no matter how many human players are in the session. So in a 1v1 game a player will have control of an entire fleet. Where as in a 4v4 game, they may only have 2 units under their control.

thanks in advance
    Rayze

Hi Rayze

Damage is specific to different areas of a ship or plane. Planes can be shot down quicker if their engines are hit. Ships can have individual guns disabled and take localized damage to more vulnerable areas such as their fuel tank, magazine, steering etc. In your example - if one gun turret is knocked out all other turrets will remain operational. Also once a ship is sufficiently damaged to sink it will be uncontrollable and the weapons can’t be used anymore.

News on a demo and full release dates to follow so watch this space!

On the PC version, will individuals be able to host games or will there be a central server?

Page 3 of 24 First First 123456713 ... Last