Page 2 of 24 First First 12345612 ... Last

Thread: Questions for the developers

Questions for the developers

Originally Posted by chip5541
    Thanks Keir. Great stuff and great video link.
    There's another one coming soon too

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    Nice. BTW. Loved the nose art in the video

Originally Posted by Keir
    Yes! Loads more ships and planes to come. We'll be updating that section of the site soon

I hope that's OK for now, I'll get answers to the other questions soon.
    Will there also be more dutch ships like the java-class (dutch light cruiser)

Originally Posted by a dutch alphawolf
    ya i was wondering that also i would love to have more.

MAybe we should rename the thread to Developers questions or something like that and make it a sticky.

Originally Posted by Dutch Jester
    ya i was wondering that also i would love to have more.
    There are a LOT of duchies in here... kinda makes me wonder if it is because our naval history is the only pice of history we can be (some what) prowd of

Signed: A fellow duchie

On a side note: Great idea chip, seeing that this is one of those few forums where there is a actual response to the community. (thank you Keir )

will there be any co-op missions, online or offline?

Will the online play be like the game "Chromehounds"(for the 360), where you choose your team, in this case allies or japanese, and play to win the war in battles at certain spots, like Midway, and when a country wins, the war is reset?

ya, and if they did it in battlestations the countries would be real, so you would have the problem of people actually caring who they fight for (a problem you wouldn't have as much trouble with if the countries were fictional)

also, another question, if you rammed a ship or plane into a ship would it do damage? and if so, would it do enough damage to make Kamikaze attacks a viable tactic?

Thanks for the new trailer it is a real teaser, can't wait.
    I have a question in first person views for the planes can you takeoff and land on the aircraft carriers.
    Could you explain the different views and if you can zoom in and out.
    Is there a provision for taking screen shots or recording a movie.

Thanks

Screen captures should not be a problem. Movies may be a little more hard to come by as very few games actually have that. Only Company of Heroes comes to mind and even that had to be patched to work. I recommend a program called FRAPS for recording.

Thanks, I have fraps and use it a lot. My question was if this would be available in the software like it is in the Microsoft flight simulators. It would be nice to share videos of different views between on line players. This could be useful for mission development but could be done with an outside software if necessary. I'm really impressed with the graphics for this software but the unknown factor for me is if this is going to be a realistic strategy simulator for the PTO WWII era or is it going to be an arcade game. The article in the holiday issue for PC Gamer states " Suddenly, the game transformed from a navy combat game into an arcade-style airborne shooter". I realize that its not a flight simulator in that it doesn't have a cockpit view but are flight characteristics realistic in that you feel that your are flying a WWII fighter in actual combat conditions or is just going to be an arcade shooter with outstanding graphics. As you probably guessed my interest is in flight simulators but find the idea of strategy simulator that includes flight and naval combat is very intriguing if its directed at some historic accuracy and is more of a simulator rather then a arcade game. I wish they would be more specific what audiences they are directing this towards.
    They need to correct this in "Hints & Tips (regarding the SBD Dauntless)
    Second-best dogfighter" to it should be strong against Torpedo Bombers and Recon Planes.

i dont know if anyone has already asked this but can more than one person control a ship, like one person drive another use AA and so on?

i don't think you would, because in multiplayer, each player controls a fleet, and i don't think you would be able to share control of a fleet let alone a ship, but i could be wrong

That answer's my question. Because i think just having the KGV would be a bad battleship to put up against The Yamato.

You know I have seen this before. I will see if I can find the outcome. It may surprise you.

Found it

Sorry, but she was a flawed design from the get go. While massively armored and otherwise well protected, she exhibited typical Japanese damage control design principals and training. She also had a relatively deep draft and some sea keeping qualities that her crew were not fond of. In addition her fire control was far less than that of her American and British counter parts by 'wars end'.

A one on one engagement at night against say the Missouri would have been a definate defeat for the Yamamoto... would take a while for Missouri to pound her into submission, but here radar controlled fire control and better damage control features would win out over the heavyier armament of the Yamamoto.

By day I think it' boils down to which captain sailed their ship better and who's damage control coped better (edge to the US ship most likely). The Yamamot's fire rate is not quite as fast, but the actual broadside throw weight of her main guns (plus secondaries if they dared to get in 'that close') seriously outweights and out-ranges the best of the american BBs by upwards of 15%. At extended ranges both would have to rely on a tactical spotting craft given the excessive range of their main guns (especially the Japanese) and perhaps radar for 'on the horizon' engagements (edge US). It's an interesting tactical situation in daylight, the edge perhaps going to a well captained and well crewed Yamamoto (which she wasn't by war's end).

She also lacks the AAA armament to really defend her self well. Even at the end, when the Japanese tried to throw a bunch of extra light weight AAA on her it just wasn't enough... she's too big of a target and her fire control and AAA arangement simply not thought out well enough for the threat that aircraft eventually would represent in the age of the Carrier.

Originally Posted by chip5541
    MAybe we should rename the thread to Developers questions or something like that and make it a sticky.
    Good idea

PS- Some more answers coming up.

Originally Posted by a dutch alphawolf
    There is only one type of Dutch ship, the De Ruyter class.

Will the online play be like the game "Chromehounds"(for the 360), where you choose your team, in this case allies or japanese, and play to win the war in battles at certain spots, like Midway, and when a country wins, the war is reset?
    Yep. When playing online you pick a side - Americans or Japanese. A lot of the maps played during the single player campaign can be fought on during the multiplayer. This includes maps such as Midway.

Originally Posted by princecaspian4
    ya, and if they did it in battlestations the countries would be real, so you would have the problem of people actually caring who they fight for (a problem you wouldn't have as much trouble with if the countries were fictional)

also, another question, if you rammed a ship or plane into a ship would it do damage? and if so, would it do enough damage to make Kamikaze attacks a viable tactic?
    Ships which ram each other can damage each other. Planes will frequently be destroyed if involved in a midair collision. Size is a factor when colliding with a vehicle. Some ships can be destroyed by repeated kamikaze attacks.

Originally Posted by gzr_groundhog
    Thanks for the new trailer it is a real teaser, can't wait.

I have a question in first person views for the planes can you takeoff and land on the aircraft carriers.

Is there a provision for taking screen shots or recording a movie.

Thanks

The user can take off and land in first person view.

Originally Posted by gzr_groundhog

Thanks
    There is the default 3rd person view on all ships/planes. 1st person view is also included on all planes. Binocular view/zoom view can be accessed by most planes and vessels allowing the user to see further in more detail. There is also a map view where units can be given orders and an overview of the battlefield can be observed.

i dont know if anyone has already asked this but can more than one person control a ship, like one person drive another use AA and so on?
    Only one person can control any one unit at a time.

I hope this help guys. Keep an eye out for developers Rfx and Klaude from Eidos Hungary who'll also now be around to answer your questions

thank you for the answers,
    because you have to choose which side you are on (allied or Japanese) will you have to wait for a while before switching to the other side so that when one side starts winning you don't have everyone switching to that side (that always happened in Mech Assault 2 Lone Wolf's conquest mode which sounds basically the same as this), and if you do have to wait, how long?

How would you describe this game ? More startegy, more simulation, more arcade ? Startegy with simulation mode or Startegy with arcade mode ? Screens are great, 3D modeling lovely, how with realism then ? Will fans of naval simulations find "Battlestations Midway", as a good realistic game ? Or you would say this is title will be more atractive for naval strategy fans ?
    We shall fight to the last shell

For either the PC or 360 version when playing MP will there be auto team to keep the teams even?

Will there be clan support?
    Will there be something like the squads of 20 people in Chromehounds?

Keep an eye out for developers Rfx and Klaude from Eidos Hungary

Great!

Who on the dev team goes by the online handle of CmdrKoenig?

Page 2 of 24 First First 12345612 ... Last