Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: Why are you doing this to LOK?

Why are you doing this to LOK?

Why are you doing this to LOK?

I don't understand, you're taking a beautiful single player story driven game and turning it into a generic lore mash up a la World of Warcraft where we do "raids" and "pvp" and whatever?

LOK is the story of Kain and Raziel, not some random generic MMO class or whatever running around doing quests for gear and xp or whatever.

This is like turning Mass Effect into an MMO, and we all know how well that turned out with The Old Republic instead of making KOTOR 3.WoW's lore has gone to hell too and Elder Scrolls Online is probably next.

Why do you people do these things? We WANTED a single player sequel, you truly believe the world wants another freaking MMO, especially one of a world that's worked so well in the past as a single player experience?

You're just taking a name and using it to get some hype, this is just sad.

1. It's not an MMO.
    2. If you can't keep an open mind about it, you'll never see the potential in it.
    3. Personal feelings about the game aside, I find it particularly rude that you assume you know that they're " just taking a name and using it to get some hype." Plus, if they wanted to do that, they wouldn't have picked LoK. Even though it's popular, we're a niche audience, if we're honest here.
    4. How dare you tell someone else what kind of creative endeavor they can embark on? You wouldn't tell Stephen King that he sucks for not writing a sequel to IT, would you? It doesn't matter how much you wanted something, and how disappointed you are, if you're going to act rude like this I'm just going to assume you aren't even old enough to play LoK.
    5. I suggest you read up on what people who have actually played a bit of the game are saying before you pass judgement on it.
    Here's a thread with links so you can see more of what Nosgoth is all about.
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=7189

We know you're upset, but please be civil, and think before you post. There's actually a lot going on for this game to be excited about, and I think once you learn a little more you'll agree with the majority of the fans on this site.

Also WoW was kicked out of eSports, so it would be a disastrous model to follow for a game intending to get in on that action.

If I wasn't old enough to play LOK why would I give a damn about this game?

Don't talk to me like I'm supposed to be ashamed of what I write, I'm a fan of the series and like many series these days they're going to because developers decide to jump on some new money making bandwagon instead of staying true to the roots. There was a LOK game in development, and the cancelled it, for a "F2P" game (read: insert as many micro transactions as possible for $$$$) WHY?

ragnarokvr1 and Swagraven, please try and play nice. This new venture is not going to be readily accepted by fans and opinions will run hot. We don't need to be at each others' throat for either way our opinions swing on Nosgoth's direction.

I didn't mean for any of that to sound anything more than mildly chiding, so my apologies if it came off worse.
    I type the way I speak, and I tend to forget infliction has a lot to do with the peace being kept around me.

Think of it as extended media, and interacting with the franchise and universe in a different way.

@OP

Are you aware that this was originally going to be a multiplayer addon to a single player sequel to Defiance?

Are you aware that there is nothing WoW-like about this game? (really, just from the announcement trailer you can see that.)

Are you aware that in giving us this game they could be testing interest in the IP in order to determine if a sequel to Defiance would be worth making financially?

[redacted]
    Last edited by Driber; 29th Sep 2013 at 17:47.

Legacy of Kain: DARK PROPHECY was the Defiance sequel.
    Legacy of Kain: DEAD SUN was the latest project that had the multiplayer part and it was supposed to take place after Soul Reaver 1. It was cancelled last year.

So far there are no plotholes in Nosgoth since Amy AND Kain are both vague in what happens after Raziel is thrown into the abyss, Nosgoth's dev team just filled the holes, most of the problems are with the vampires that don't look like LoK vampires and they can and should be fixed since this game is still in Beta.

its good that they branch off instead of milk the series in the same way till its dry they have a great lore witch allows for flexibility of the type of games they can release. so why patronize them on a discussion as if it closes the door for a single player LOK. If you enjoyed the series then trust in the choice of the team that they know how to make good games.

SES banned.

Vanyelxp5, you earned an infraction for insulting language towards another forum member after my colleague warned people to mind the TOU. I have zero tolerance for flaming other members for voicing their opinion. Everyone is free to be critical of the game if they want to and should not have to fear being attacked for voicing that.

Now, let's keep it constructive, folks.

I think we should avoid e-sports. Sure there's a ton of money in it, but you know we're just going to have Koreans take over, and they probably don't care about LoK in the least. Who are you catering to? I wouldn't expect the USA to suddenly change it's cultural views on gaming.

^ Wow thats tough not to reply to. In my opinion, whatever makes this game successful should happen. No one new will play a single player story driven game. If you make something that caters to different genres, it can spark interest in the series in a whole new generation of gamers. Only then, if youre lucky, you'll get the type of game that you want. Until then you have to put your faith in the company thats trying balance "maximize profits" with "staying loyal to roots". I approve of just about everything in this game. CANNOT WAIT to play it.

IMO the days of single-player games are over.

How many of us out there would still have jobs if our employers knew that we wanted a week off in the middle of August so we could do heroic progression for top-US rank?

Just sayin'.

I would! But I never take time off... At all... three years at the same job, and I've only requested a specific day off once. (I also don't often get my scheduled day off... So if I do request time, I usually get it.)

Same here, I'm capped on vacation hours, lol.

Anyway, for the rest of us who have to don a mask for our nighttime adventures, we're not likely to be able to get involved enough to compete in a true e-sport. ... and I'm sure there's an inherent conflict between sport and story.

From what I understand, this is the situation.

Games are made to make a profit. Of course they are made by passionate people who most of the times care about what they do, but no one ever wants to produce a game that will cost him more money than him will make on it.

Legacy of Kain "fans" are... 600'000? 700'000? I wouldn't dare to say there are more than that if I look at the past games sales, but let's just say they are 1 million and that every single one of them is still interested in the series. Making now a triple A game that continues the story from where Defiance left it would mean targeting ONLY 1 million people in the best possible outcome. Which means almost suicide.

Let's say than that they could try making a completely new single player game, with new characters and a new story and only the brand name attached to it (as Dead Sun was). Let's cut out part of the old fan-base, those who will not accept the game for what it has become. 1 million turns then to 750'000/500'000. Let's add 1 million from completely new players (which is still quite a big figure for a single player driven game that also looks so unique and original). 1.5 millions sales in the best scenario possible; still quite a risk for a huge full-budget game.

The third option is what we have here: a "low-cost" game that can do little harm to the company if it utterly fails but that could on the other side "prepare" more people who never knew the original games for the coming of a new one. Let's say that in time Nosgoth will attract 150'000 completely new players. No money lost; 150'000 new fans potentially awaiting for a new Legacy of Kain. Maybe someone will be curious about the past chapters and will look for and play them, and then talk about the saga to their friends and on the internet. Still, no real harm done and just more people involved.

This game is the less risky attempt Square Enix could ever take. Games are made for the public, and the public this saga has right now is simply not big enough. It's either this or a very risky game that could easily disappoint both the fans and the new customers and then really nail the coffin for the next 10 years more.

Don't get me wrong; if this game turns out to be a pay-to-win abomination I won't defend it. But hating it for just existing makes zero sense, if you ever want the saga to continue in any possible way in the future.

This game is the less risky attempt Square Enix could ever take
    Who cares if its a risk for square enix?
    Their worth well over £100 million at least.
    They could 10 games in a row that are a total flop and not even feel a slight dip in there pockets!
    from the people who bought us the final fantasy titles?
    If they wanted to they could easy release a good Legacy of Kain game but they are a company.
    Games shouldn't be fun.
    They should make us money.
    And we know what sells.
    We've seen it...

(And this forum needs a preview button).

Psyonix said since the beginning that it wasn't gonna be a traditional Legacy of Kain title. Its called Nosgoth, Not Legacy of Kain & It's FREE.

Personally I would like a game in the LoK series that you could make your own character to live in that world, and as long as they adjust the vampires to actually look closer to the lineage of there parents I wouldn't mind

but at the moment the dumahrim look nothing like how they are supposed to be, there supposed to be hunched and stocky, the tureliem are to heavy set and need the distinctive ears of turel himself and the razieliem really need to be looked at raziels line had the greatest of Kain's gift, they should look regal, with Bat like Wings an air of aristocracy about them

plus for it really to be a LoK game there should also be the Rotting Melchirium, The Aquatic Rahabium, and the spiderlike Zephonium, plus maybe some guest appearences by should characters like Vorador for the vampire side and Mobius for the Humans

If done well i do believe it could be a nice addition to the LoK Lore

Originally Posted by Raziel_of_Nosgoth
    Psyonix said since the beginning that it wasn't gonna be a traditional Legacy of Kain title. Its called Nosgoth, Not Legacy of Kain & It's FREE.
    To expect that won't make a massive profit on Nosgoth anyway, considering they cancelled Dead sun because they didn't think they'd get enough back from it, is absurd.

Complete bunk, mrslig100. If their games do not make money, the developers do not make their money back, nor do the marketers, distributors, and no more developer. SE would go bankrupt and no more games, period.

You think because a corporation exists that it has money to spare and is simply just greedy to not do so, which means not to cater to your wishes. That's simply your biased and selfish position, not reality.

Companies do exist to make money, lest they no longer be in existence anymore. They employ hundreds of employees, who all wish to continue receiving their paycheck, their piece of mind, and their family's piece of mind. We all want a continuation of the story, but most of us are level-headed enough to realize calling the company out for being greedy and cold-hearted is not the way to get it done. It's unfair to them, and unfair to the rest of the fanbase to represent it in such a way. There are always greedy people, and they reside in the top of business and corporations, or in the common blue collar man (or woman). No group of people is exempt from this flaw.

Originally Posted by The_Hylden
    Complete bunk, mrslig100. If their games do not make money, the developers do not make their money back, nor do the marketers, distributors, and no more developer. SE would go bankrupt and no more games, period.

You think because a corporation exists that it has money to spare and is simply just greedy to not do so, which means not to cater to your wishes. That's simply your biased and selfish position, not reality.

Companies do exist to make money, lest they no longer be in existence anymore. They employ hundreds of employees, who all wish to continue receiving their paycheck, their piece of mind, and their family's piece of mind. We all want a continuation of the story, but most of us are level-headed enough to realize calling the company out for being greedy and cold-hearted is not the way to get it done. It's unfair to them, and unfair to the rest of the fanbase to represent it in such a way. There are always greedy people, and they reside in the top of business and corporations, or in the common blue collar man (or woman). No group of people is exempt from this flaw.
    I'm not quite sure what your point was there in context of he said

Their expectations which Dead sun failed to meet were set too high

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last