Page 5 of 5 First First 12345

Thread: Why are you doing this to LOK?

Why are you doing this to LOK?

Yes it is an mmo.

San Marcos, California, USA, North America, Earth
    Originally Posted by iwinulose
    Yes it is an mmo.
    Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously.
    4 vs 4 isn't "massively multiplayer," it's just multiplayer. Nosgoth isn't an MMO in the same sense that Call of Duty isn't an MMO. Portal 2 isn't an MMO. The Portal 2 community is massive, and you can play multiplayer online, but that doesn't make it an MMO.

Nosgoth is closer to a MOBA than an MMO, if anything.

Originally Posted by RealLoK
    Sorry for reviving this thread, but today, I have found an episode of Jimquisition that actually sums up and explains most of the complaints people had and still have with Nosgoth. Now, the video is not about Nosgoth itself, but about some examples of games that were ruined by trying to appeal to a "broader audience".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw_LeI2A77o
    I honestly don't think Nosgoth is necessarily trying to appeal to a broader audience. The 4v4 multiplayer arena is just an easier and smarter way to slowly revive a series than going right into a big single-player affair after all these years gone.

As I continue to tell people, the series has been lights-out for eleven years. The water's gone cold. A single-player game would've been the equivalent of diving into a frozen lake. Nosgoth is more dipping a toe into it to see if it's still worth a swim. People who call it a cash-grab or whatever are frankly being illogical. LoK was a niche even back in its heyday so it's a terrible option for a quick cash-grab. If it's successful, we'll all get our proper sequel.

Originally Posted by Viridian24
    Nosgoth is closer to a MOBA than an MMO, if anything.
    Isn't a MOBA like LoL and DotA?

Isn't a MOBA like LoL and DotA?
    Yep, Nosgoth isn´t anything like it. It is much closer to TDM arena shooter like Unreal or even closer to the VS mode of L4D.

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    I honestly don't think Nosgoth is necessarily trying to appeal to a broader audience. The 4v4 multiplayer arena is just an easier and smarter way to slowly revive a series than going right into a big single-player affair after all these years gone.

As I continue to tell people, the series has been lights-out for eleven years. The water's gone cold. A single-player game would've been the equivalent of diving into a frozen lake. Nosgoth is more dipping a toe into it to see if it's still worth a swim. People who call it a cash-grab or whatever are frankly being illogical. LoK was a niche even back in its heyday so it's a terrible option for a quick cash-grab. If it's successful, we'll all get our proper sequel.
    That point has already been made, and the problem still is, that multiplayer games like Nosgoth attract a COMPLETELY different audience. If Nosgoth is successful, that won't mean that a proper sequel will be just as successful. That is exactly the point of the video. LoK fans are a niche audience, and there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. But almost nobody of the "new players" gives a damn about where Nosgoth came from. I have played a few matches by now, and when I asked my teammates, the only response I got was "lol, who cares about the story?" This is the sad truth. THIS is the kind of people Nosgoth attracts. Nosgoth won't spark new interest in Legacy of Kain, and if it does, it surely won't be enough.

I don't hate Nosgoth. But I still am disappointed, because despite the references to the lore and the blog posts, this is NOT a Legacy of Kain game. Oblivion had a LoK Easteregg (and, due to mods, can have the Soul Reaver in it) , that doesn't make it a Legacy of Kain game. Tomb Raider Legend had the Soul Reaver and a portrait of Kain in it. That still doesn't make it a Legacy of Kain game. And Nosgoth has even less than that. It has nothing in common with Legacy of Kain except vague references without which the game would still be playable and understandable (I just remember that one incident where one player had no idea what a Dumahim was WHILE PLAYING ONE.), and blog posts barely anyone bothers to read. Nosgoth is a good game, but a good game in its own way.

Let's just say that, if they had made a real LoK right away instead of Nosgoth, I would have bought the game to see if it was good, and if it was, then I would have bought ten more and persuaded all of my friends into doing the same, just to show that this series is worth something without watering it down.
    Last edited by RealLoK; 27th Mar 2014 at 16:23.

if they had made a real LoK right away instead of Nosgoth
    They tried to make Dead Sun which was bad gameplay and lorewise and got canceled, but they already invested money into it. They´ll be much more carefull to start new project again I´d say.
    Last edited by RainaAudron; 27th Mar 2014 at 17:09.

Originally Posted by RealLoK
    I don't hate Nosgoth. But I still am disappointed, because despite the references to the lore and the blog posts, this is NOT a Legacy of Kain game.
    Saying Nosgoth isn't a Legacy of Kain game is like saying Mario Kart isn't a Mario game. Yes, the gameplay is different, no, it's not the LoK single player game we have all been waiting for, but I think you need to remember that this is an unfinished product. The developers are trying to tie the game in to the main series more. Look at the evolved skins they're going to implement. If those don't scream Legacy of Kain, I don't know what does. They even went so far as to get Daniel Cabucco involved, so they are definitely trying to make it as close to the main series as they can.

As for your claim that it won't get new people involved in the series, I disagree. I have introduced the series to three of my friends already (got them to start playing Soul Reaver and Blood Omen), and it was all because of Nosgoth. Plus, I have met plenty of people in game who have said that they are brand new to the series, and that they'll look into the other games because of Nosgoth. Sure there may be a few people who don't care about the story, but there's an old saying; "Any publicity is good publicity."

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, be positive. Give constructive criticism to the developers in the forums (they listen!) instead of complaining. Tell the guys you find in game who say they don't care about the story that they should give it a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

San Marcos, California, USA, North America, Earth
    Originally Posted by RainaAudron
    Yep, Nosgoth isn´t anything like it. It is much closer to TDM arena shooter like Unreal or even closer to the VS mode of L4D.
    I said it's closer to a MOBA than it is to an MMO. Never said it was a MOBA. Just wanted to clarify that lol

Oh ok, np, haven´t read the whole thing, sorry.

Page 5 of 5 First First 12345