Thread: What exactly is the gameplay design going to be?

What exactly is the gameplay design going to be?

What exactly is the gameplay design going to be?

From the looks of things, an arena based shooter/fighter some such. That said, I'm wondering kind of game modes we might see, or if there will be anything more "grandiose" than pvp lobbies.

Will we end up seeing some kind of abstract representation of the overall war effort, influenced by our individual battles? Or will it be more of a contemporary shooter in which you advance based on performance in battle with experience and resources to spend on your character?

Perhaps more like counterstrike, with no overall goal or advancement.

At any rate, I always found the storytelling in SR/LoK to be one of the strongest points that really sets it apart. I would love to see things advance in some tangible way, even if gameplay itself is simply arena based.

I'm quite intrigued by them saying you'll be able to pick a side and play a part in the war. If so, humans all the way.

Agreed; since vampire the masquerade the prospect of fighting a physically and potentially intellectually superior with only technology and cunning has been a desire of mine for some time. Finally realized it seems
    I only hope in a significant manner of some sort, not just MOBA style "pointless" fights.

The game itself is very much arena battles. But from leading words in the trailer – it sounds like there will also be an overall war effort to reflect people’s choices (or something) – it sounded like you will be able to back a side…but I might be understanding it wrong and reading too much into what was being said.

Originally Posted by lucinvampire
    The game itself is very much arena battles. But from leading words in the trailer – it sounds like there will also be an overall war effort to reflect people’s choices (or something) – it sounded like you will be able to back a side…but I might be understanding it wrong and reading too much into what was being said.
    That's how it sounds, but it could very easily just be marketing with no real significance. The same could be said of Tf2 "Join the blu team and fight for the future of blu!"

Originally Posted by Kriegson
    Agreed; since vampire the masquerade the prospect of fighting a physically and potentially intellectually superior with only technology and cunning has been a desire of mine for some time. Finally realized it seems
    I was fascinated by the vampire hunters in Soul Reaver, they seemed to be everywhere you didn't expect, surrounded by vampires. They were badasses. I also loved the medieval flamethrowers and the crossbow bayonets. Glad that the human's design is reminiscent of the original game.

Yeah I hope for something significant. We'll see.

Regarding the gameplay, the concept we were given is that the humans only get to use long ranged attacks and the vampires only get to use melee attacks. That's what's intended to make Nosgoth different from other games.

Originally Posted by Vampmaster
    Regarding the gameplay, the concept we were given is that the humans only get to use long ranged attacks and the vampires only get to use melee attacks. That's what's intended to make Nosgoth different from other games.
    Not so different, it's been done quite a bit before and for quite some time to boot. My earliest experience I can think of is Alien Versus Predator, in which you had marines, predators and aliens. Humans had powerful guns and tools but were very weak. Predators had cloaking and a mix of powerful but technical weaponry, Aliens had the ability to scuttle along walls and ceilings as well as being extremely fast, along with their acidic blood.

So we've seen the whole "one side is ranged and tech based vs other melee and strength based" before. What makes this game different is that it's freaking nosgoth :P
    So I hope that the lore behind this game, the thought provoking stories and epic dialogue, are injected into it.

Well, I did say "intended". I'd forgotten about AVP , but I can't think of many other asymmetrical games like that. It's not exactly the same as AVP, since Nosgoth is third person, which works a lot better for the melee combat and makes the pace of the game a lot faster.

I play Vampire the masquerade and the rekiem too (Malkavians rock!) and I am really exited by this game, for the same reason: Humans x Vampires in the best Masquerade way =) Hope I am picked for beta! =) about the gameplay, I just hope they find a way to balance the melee x ranged combat.

Originally Posted by ZeroFernir
    I just hope they find a way to balance the melee x ranged combat.
    It's relatively simple up to a point. The quicker fights are, the relatively easier it is to balance things. If a vampire gets on a human, s/he is basically dead and they have a number of movement abilities (And possibly stealth on reaver?) to achieve this.

Alternatively, if the human spots the vampire first, with a clear line of sight and good accuracy, he can easily kill the vampire before it can even enter range, much less react in some cases, as long as he can aim well.

The difference being that there are some crossover abilities it seems. No vampire projectiles to speak of yet, but a "Grapple gun" or some such popped up in the trailer and was even used briefly iirc. Something to buy humans a bit of mobility (probably sacrificing something else) to get away from vampires in what would otherwise be a hopeless situation.
    Likewise the alchemist seems to have some area denial abilities.

So it kind of seems like they make the vampires stupid OP (pretty much one hit kill) and then build up strategies for the humans to counter them. Which is not a bad idea as long as the vampires don't become too one dimensional.

For what I can see both sides have some kind of Ultra move,
    in the vid u see that Archer chargin up an arrow that completely rips the head away from the vampire.
    And then you have the Razielim that charges up and flies up in the air and dives down to pick up a human and drops him to his death.
    These are some things I noticed. I dont think you will have one charachter flying around constantly dropping down to pick up people to kill.

(click image to enlarge)