Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Is Final Fantasy VI Considered the Best in the Series?

Is Final Fantasy VI Considered the Best in the Series?

For all of your gamers who have been accustomed to the Final Fantasy series over the years, do you think that Final Fantasy VI is the best in the series. I've always heard it spoken highly of. I never completed the game personally, but I was thinking of playing it all the way through finally. I've also heard some people say that it is the best Final Fantasy game. Do you believe this?

Final Fantasy VI is a much better game than Final Fantasy V or Magic Quest, that's for sure.

It is a well put together game, and it is probably one of the best RPGs of the 16-bit era. It is definitely worth playing, regardless if it is or not the best in the series. Just suggestion: Be sure to play the PSX version if you can, its available for purchase off of PSN.

Originally Posted by Nights

Final Fantasy VI is a much better game than Final Fantasy V or Magic Quest, that's for sure.

It is a well put together game, and it is probably one of the best RPGs of the 16-bit era. It is definitely worth playing, regardless if it is or not the best in the series. Just suggestion: Be sure to play the PSX version if you can, its available for purchase off of PSN.

FTW, I may as well get it off of PSN for ease of method. Thanks for the tip.

I'd actually refer you to the enhanced port on GBA over that rush patch-job that is the PSX version...Unless of course being a downloadable title on PSN somehow fixed things, the PSX ports were sloppy.

Regardless of the version, FFVI was a landmark in the series. Intertwining great story, compelling characters and a well-paced battle system that proved to inspire many of the FFs after it (Limit Breaks under the unofficial name of Desperation Attacks had their start here, though they were little more than fancy uber-critical attacks with neat animations and Magicite were early [better] Materia)...and, of course, then there was Kefka, that crazy mofo everyone loves to hate. Oh, and arguably Nobou Uematsu's greatest, most wide-ranged score for the series. All the pieces just fit together for this one.

Thanks. Someone mentioned the quality of the music in Final Fantasy VI to me before. It's good to see that being endorsed here too.

Originally Posted by VTranslanka

I'd actually refer you to the enhanced port on GBA over that rush patch-job that is the PSX version...Unless of course being a downloadable title on PSN somehow fixed things, the PSX ports were sloppy.

The GBA version is hard to find, not to mention the platform has been dead for quite awhile...

The version on PSN is like 9.99 I think? And you get another game with it as well...and it wasn't THAT bad. It is definitely good enough to play the game on.

Originally Posted by Nights

Originally Posted by VTranslanka

The GBA version is hard to find, not to mention the platform has been dead for quite awhile...

The version on PSN is like 9.99 I think? And you get another game with it as well...and it wasn't THAT bad. It is definitely good enough to play the game on.

You don't actually get V with it if you buy it off of PSN; they're separate.

If you can't be bothered to track down the GBA port (which is much better), the PSX version should suffice just fine, assuming you don't mind some lag.

FFVI is definitely my favorite of the series. The GBA version's the one to find if you want to best experience.....but the tradeoff is the new translation. It's, uh, a "better" translation, sure, but it does not have the whimsy of Woolsey's SNES translation. There were many great lines from the SNES version that simply aren't in the more "accurate" Advance version.

My suggestion? Play the SNES version first. Then play the PSX/PSN version. Then play the GBA version. Play them all. FFVI is so good it deserves to be played three times. :P

FF6 is my favorite FF game, that's for sure. Just a shame they never released a really good version of it. The SNES version have the worst translation (but by no means bad), the PS1 version suffer from loading times and the GBA version have the worst music. If I could pick just one of them, I would go for the SNES version (which is available from the Wii Virtual Console).

I was hoping they would release FF6 for DS too, and keep it close to the original, like they did with Chrono Trigger DS, but it never happened And if they now release it for 3DS, they probably change it into a 3D game which I find unfortunate.

VI, VII, IX, and X are my favourites. VI is amazing, but I think IX and VII have a bit more depth personally. Buts its so hard to say for sure.

Originally Posted by espritduo

FFVI is definitely my favorite of the series. The GBA version's the one to find if you want to best experience.....but the tradeoff is the new translation. It's, uh, a "better" translation, sure, but it does not have the whimsy of Woolsey's SNES translation. There were many great lines from the SNES version that simply aren't in the more "accurate" Advance version.

Like? Most of Woolsey's notable lines were kept in some fashion. I think you'd be hardpressed to find too many people that agree on the new translation being a tradeoff. That was the best feature of VI Advance, if you ask me.

VI Advance had no Bum Rush

Or sons of submariners. C'mon man, getting rid of that line is like taking spoony bard out of FFIV. You just don't mess with classic lines.

And the problem I have with the translation in general is that it feels lifeless and droll compared to Woolsey's version. It's more accurate, sure, but it just doesn't have nearly as much feeling in it.

I remember playing my first Final Fantasy title, FFVI at a friends house on the Super Nintendo. I really enjoyed it, and I remember getting stuck at the part where you play as the fighter (forgot his name) but you're fighting against your master/trainer and never being able to use the combo move to beat him.

Final Fantasy VI is my favorite Final Fantasy of all times.

Originally Posted by Freddo
    the GBA version have the worst music

To be fair, I sincerely doubt that someone would notice the decrease in music quality if they had never played the SNES and Playstation version of six. I played six on the GBA and I certainly didn't notice anything. I believe that the same could be said for the original translation: if you didn't originally play it then you probably won't miss anything that some of the older players would.

As for whether or not I believe it, I'm certainly biased in favor of it and I certainly enjoyed it more than other Final Fantasy games I've played. If anything, it shouldn't take you that long to finish it so it's something that you should play just for the expirience of it.

It's definitely one of my favourites.

I really liked the Opera scene. I also liked the train and waterfall battles.

Originally Posted by Freddo

FF6 is my favorite FF game, that's for sure. Just a shame they never released a really good version of it. The SNES version have the worst translation (but by no means bad), the PS1 version suffer from loading times and the GBA version have the worst music. If I could pick just one of them, I would go for the SNES version (which is available from the Wii Virtual Console).

I was hoping they would release FF6 for DS too, and keep it close to the original, like they did with Chrono Trigger DS, but it never happened And if they now release it for 3DS, they probably change it into a 3D game which I find unfortunate.

screw a DS remake FF VI is the one final fantasy that deserves a next gen remake... imagine the opera scene or th floating cont into the world of ruin now that stuff right there would be EPIC

VI is by far the best in the series IMO.

And anytime a VII fanboy tries to step up and say otherwise, a puppy dies. XD

VI six is my all time favorite. Great story, great characters, and the greatest villain in Final Fantasy history. Also it's the right amount of content, making it the most re-playable of all the games. All the games after I enjoy too, especially IX and XII, but they're so long that I have to be in the right mood to play through them again.

Originally Posted by espritduo

Or sons of submariners. C'mon man, getting rid of that line is like taking spoony bard out of FFIV. You just don't mess with classic lines.

And the problem I have with the translation in general is that it feels lifeless and droll compared to Woolsey's version. It's more accurate, sure, but it just doesn't have nearly as much feeling in it.

I never really got the hype with that quote. Plus, what they went with in VI GBA was totally to screw with people that kept fretting over them changing it. I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I don't feel the GBA script is lifeless at all. I thought it was really refreshingly enjoyable.

Final Fantasy VI is my favorite game in the series. It got lots of memorable moments and characters and great gameplay (Its like Square put a lot of stuff in this game). While this is the second FF game I played (first one is FF8), this is the first FF game I finished.

I loved FFVI, and it is still one of my favourite games of all time. The opera scene is one of my all-time favourite moments. The opera scene is where they really changed the translation when they "updated" the game. The changes make sense, and fit the music a bit better, but I still have fuzzy feelings over the older version.

By far FFVI is the best. Amazing story, gameplay, music, and characters. This is a must have/play of the final fantasy series and for people that enjoy 7, you will def enjoy 6.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last