Page 2 of 3 First First 123 Last

Thread: Is Final Fantasy VI Considered the Best in the Series?

Is Final Fantasy VI Considered the Best in the Series?

I felt that Final Fantasy VII was the game best put together. I thoroughly enjoy playing that game all of the time. The characters, story and gameplay all went together so well and made for such great memories.

All of the Final Fantasies took alot of time to put together you can say it's your opinion but every Final Fantasy has something thats different from the others that is unique, of course there is something that clicked for you and you really liked it. Just make sure you don't have your Judgement Bolt clouded by trying to expect the same experience with a different title, if you do that you'll miss out on good games.

Not only my favorite in the series, but tied for my favorite game of all time (with LoZ: aLttP and Phantasy Star 4).

It's my favorite game of all time. So... yes.

As for versions, any of them is worth playing. So whatever is easiest for you. I think there isn't a definitive answer on which is the best. The SNES version has some rough translation, and it's lacking in the additional content added later. GBA version has the worst sound, and they didn't put as much effort into making it as they did the other games on GBA. Which is also why it's rare, since they also didn't produce as many copies. PSone version has the loading "issue" (not an issue for me, but meh).

No one version has it all, without sacrifices. So just go with whatever you get your hands on. The game is amazing on everything imo.

I don't know if I'd say they put less effort into making the GBA version. It just got made at the very end of the console's lifetime and naturally was a smaller production because of that, hence why the US release got so little promotion or material. I'd say it was definitely better put together though than I&II or IV.

Final Fantasy VI is amazing but I forgot about the story never played it for yrs. I gotta play it again cause I lost the feeling.

Originally Posted by imported_Adam
    Final Fantasy VI is amazing but I forgot about the story never played it for yrs. I gotta play it again cause I lost the feeling.
    Ya know to me FF6 is the best, but there were some downfalls. The game itself with its rich story, (hehe) Romance, battle system (which i think is the best), and glitches, yes glitches, were the truth and rich part of a final fantasy game. 6 brought all the elements from the previous games into one amazing game. The music was masterfull but what i hate the most is that people dont appreciate it as much as they should. Do any of you agree?

Originally Posted by Coddlefish

I don't know if I'd say they put less effort into making the GBA version. It just got made at the very end of the console's lifetime and naturally was a smaller production because of that, hence why the US release got so little promotion or material. I'd say it was definitely better put together though than I&II or IV.

FFVI is better by default than those games. So... :P

Originally Posted by Ksquall
    For all of your gamers who have been accustomed to the Final Fantasy series over the years, do you think that Final Fantasy VI is the best in the series. I've always heard it spoken highly of. I never completed the game personally, but I was thinking of playing it all the way through finally. I've also heard some people say that it is the best Final Fantasy game. Do you believe this?

I just bought it over the PSN and I have to say, for an old game like that, it felt surprisingly fresh to me. I've only begun to play it but I can alreadly say that I love how different it really feels from other games from VII onwards. The ability to choose how you order which scenario plays out first, the clever ways they get the plot rolling like when you have to "steal" some extra clothing (LOL'ED at that part), and the story itself feels well balanced. I've definately put onto my top FF I've played.

My problem with the Final Fantasy series is that I have a hard time naming one, all-time favourite. I can't choose just one D:

That said, FFVI is one of my all-time fave games, EVER. There's nothing I disliked about it, which sounds unbelievable, but it's true for me.

Yes

This is why I consider it the best in the series and many may have mentioned it in prior posts....

1) Story - The story here set the tone imo for all FF games to follow (cept the Online games... those are in their own league). Also it had the most, from what i can tell, storylines in a FF game. Each charater just about had a storyline into itself even tho they all led up to the same point. Also depending on choices at a few points in the game the end credits would be diffrent aswell.

2) Music - The score in the game was the most graceful and emotional in the series.. It was the only game to have a opera score I acctualy like and I hate operas. I play the soundtrack for FFVI all the time.... infact i have a MP3 Player deticated to just that games soundtrack.

3) Battle system - I loved the addition to "code-like" combos of Saben's Blitz moves and the combat styles for Mog and Gau. Terra's Morph ability is what i belive to give the idea for the Trance/Blitz abilitys to the generations that followed.

4) Graphics - As the last of the 16-Bit graphic games in the series (as of its creation in the FF series.. nothing past then is included) the games grapcis made the world even more fun when you took off in the airship and flew around. Along w/ the spells, flashbacks, and the espers themselves casting their signiture moves.

5) Gameplay - Its basicly what i mentioned in the battle system but I loved all the aspecs of what they did. There could have been some improvement on the Overworld/Battle transitions (some of them gave me a headache after a few times.. yes i was playing in a lit room and no im not sensitive to flashing from screens).

6) Overall - It was the last of a good series before the GCI (i say GCI instead of 3D cuz of current tech and i bet very few here would know the diffrence) versions of the games. I know everyone went all crazy when FF7 came out but thats becasue it wasnt sprite based and it had a charater that was all emo but could kick your butt from here to next year.

This is just my opinion on the game and i would love to see a remake of it on just about all platforms. If there was a direct port.. the SNES version mainly for the dialog. Edgar and Lock trippin out when Terra cast magic for the first time and Kefka's lines in a few parts of the game made me laugh.

yup

date simulator with Aeris rawx!

Final Fantasy VI is easily one of my all time favorite games, the cast of characters and story are just so wonderful.

I've had a lot of people recommend FFVI to me. Never got to try the original SNES version since it was called Final Fantasy III and I had to do a lot of research to find that FF3 and FF6 were not the same games. Got the Anthology set for PSN and so far it's been great. (And this is coming from a FF7 fan.) I think I'm about halfway done.

I personally prefer VI over the others. And would actually like that game to get a compilation project. That world is fascinating, before the game takes place as well as what the world could be after. So many things can be done.

Originally Posted by ZERORAPTOR

I've had a lot of people recommend FFVI to me. Never got to try the original SNES version since it was called Final Fantasy III and I had to do a lot of research to find that FF3 and FF6 were not the same games. Got the Anthology set for PSN and so far it's been great. (And this is coming from a FF7 fan.) I think I'm about halfway done.

The only major diffrences that i have seen between the SNES (FFIII) and the PSX (FFVI) versions other then the name (since the US screwed the numer order up) and the additional feautres on the PSX version is the Battle Start/End animations, translation of the game, and the CGI movie cutsceans in some parts of the game. Otherwise w/ mabey (and thats a BIG mabey) a few item diffrences the games were identical in everything else. I havent played the PSX version in a long time so there might be 1 or 2 features from it i missed but it was probly minor.

I was currious and did a side by side comparison (literally w/ 2 TVs next to eachother and played both at the same time) back in the mid to late 90's of the two. I didnt go by what i read online first only cuz the info was (at the time) spotty at best between the versions and i was lazy to go further into it then.

Originally Posted by ZERORAPTOR

I personally prefer VI over the others. And would actually like that game to get a compilation project. That world is fascinating, before the game takes place as well as what the world could be after. So many things can be done.

Thats a cool idea. They could improve the backstories of all the other charaters they didnt go into detail if they wanted. It's not required since playing the game gives quite abit. Mabey a prequill that tells the story a few years prior to the events in FFVI..

Originally Posted by Ikusu
    This world truly deserves a better work by SE to reward fans. A whole improved new game, new dungeons, features, chars would be very neat!

Originally Posted by Ikusu

The story is more or less complete for VI. Adding anything else would seem to be a little much. I wouldn't want it to feel like VII's compilation which put a stain on a great game. Maybe they could use an alternate ending where Terra dies and do something with that. [img]/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif[/img]

Complete isn't the word I would use. They can go into character relationship details. Ala Shadow and relm. Also More for Shadow's past, Gogo's, well, anything. Umaro and the Moogles. Etc, etc. I feel there can be a FFIV 'character specific story' set up that would add to the world of VI. It is fleshed out a bit but enough to not really question much that is going on. Adding more would only make that better.

And with the alternate ending, why not? If she is part of the group that kills Kefka, then she lives. If not, she dies. But the whole 'War of the Magi' prelude as well as the Statues absence (or purification) to reset the world is very open for anything.

Final Fantasy VI is my all time favorite. Just downloaded FFVII; I've never played the full content.. .

If I could have I would have downloaded FFVI

A lil' fenix down here. Yes, FFVI is the best of FF series, it was a game that you had everything, fun scenes, epic battles, random bosses, you could even play with your friend! Many hidden weapons, bosses, esper and even characters! Yes, this game no only should deserve another remake but some anime/movie with A+ quality!

Seph is a lil b*** if you put him side by side with Kefka, Cloud? C'mon, you have Sabin, Edgar, Shadow, Cyan and Locke!

And one of most beautifull things, THERE WAS NO MR. CENTER OF THE BLOODY UNIVERSE!

You were mad with the "main" char? You just go to : gtfo of my party and this cold mf. will be the main.

I believe that Final Fantasy VI is the best of the series. It's my favorite story-line and it is my first RPG that sucked me into the series. Final Fantasy VI was also rated the NUMBER ONE game of all time on IGN's TOP 100 games! Here's the link: http://www.ign.com/top/rpgs/1 ... I would love to see more FF VI love from SE. It is my all-time favorite game and my dream is to see it remade with modern graphics so we all can enjoy it again at a whole new level.

I would definitely say VI is the greatest Final Fantasy ever. Terra is BY FAR the greatest female main protagonist of all time. The half human half esper story was amazing and sad. Magitech armor was awesome during the times you were able to ride in them. There is plenty of equipment and ways to learn magic to really make each character feel different. It has a ton of summons that can be equiped to any character. There were plenty of characters you could recruit, some of which were extremely strong, and very unique. The antagonist is one of the absolute greatest and most insane. If you can't tell I loved it!!!

Oh yea, and as a side note... SQUARE ENIX should not be saving these games to be remade for the future if they need something to pull the company out of water. They need to develop and release them before too many years go by. FF VI came out in '94 I believe, so I was 10?!? Wow. I know I'll always love video games but I'm noticing that I am being more picky the older I get because my time is a lot more valuable now. My boys I now have will surely be video game nerds like their parents but I highly doubt they'll be interested in a remake of a 20-or-so year old game just because their mom played it when she was a kid. They won't be able to make money off of these as remakes if they wait too long. They should do it now and make their fortune!!! I would totally buy whatever special limited edition whatever if VI or VII were remade for today's technology. Why not get SE that success and not break our hearts? lol

Page 2 of 3 First First 123 Last