Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: These grapple points are not working (Sea Serpent Troubles)

You need to get the sword fragment first from King Arther, then when you leave you will meet the water dragon

Rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanShark
    I need help please when you are fighting the sea monster. I shoot the bells to distract the monster but I get to the last one and I pull the leved r the cage gets stuck and won't drop on the monster. Is this a bug in the game as some people have reported or am I doing something wrong?
    This dragon is doing my head in 2. so far ive hit it twice, and have no health packs need serious help!:

Thumbs Down Four Hours Later and Bored .......

I set this game to easy because I wanted to have fun. But this serpent thing is next to impossible. It actually shows up all the negative aspects of the game. I have found that unless you do things EXACTLY right it doesn't work.

Right now on my last health boost by the time I have stopped firing, despatched the grapple, etc the serpent has moved and the cage misses. I have got one cage down but that's it. I must have tried this 20 or 30 times and it's just boring now. It's a shame there is no "skip this bit" feature.

What annoys me is not my lack of skill but rather the inconsistency. One time the grapple hits the target first time and then the next, from the same position, the grapple pops off at a tangent. One time the serpent gets clobbered by the cage and the next time, with the serpent seemingly in the same position, it misses him.

So I think it's time to retire Lara back to Game for a bit of cashback and maybe find a game that is more consistent.

l have played this part many times and have not found any great inconsistancy, true l always miss grappling the back left one on the first 2 attempts and have to run for it, but have always managed to do it no problem. If you simply cannot do it do not blame the game, it is not the game being inconsistant here. It does not just matter where you stand, but also where you are looking as to whether the grapple works or not, same with dropping the cages, if the dragon is not properly hypnotised he will move before it drops. Frankly if you find this game to hard to play, l hate to think what you would have thought of the other 6 in the series, they were all much harder than Legend

Hard or Soft

Quote Originally Posted by aussie500
    l have played this part many times and have not found any great inconsistancy, true l always miss grappling the back left one on the first 2 attempts and have to run for it, but have always managed to do it no problem. If you simply cannot do it do not blame the game, it is not the game being inconsistant here. It does not just matter where you stand, but also where you are looking as to whether the grapple works or not, same with dropping the cages, if the dragon is not properly hypnotised he will move before it drops. Frankly if you find this game to hard to play, l hate to think what you would have thought of the other 6 in the series, they were all much harder than Legend
    It's not really about hard and soft it's more about fun and tedium. I have played challenging stuff before but there has always been a clear consistent reason why x didn't work as I expected. I take your point about the "camera" view but I think the number of people who have said that a leaver fails to work and the helpline advice is to try again etc means there is something inconsistent. I have met inconsistent before in the game. One time I stood on a box with a rope practically dangling through my head and jumping wouldn't grab it. What I had to do is leap from a nearby ledge and then suddenly Lara could grab it.

I guess my statement is unless you do it exactly how the game designer expects then it doesn't work. This is a wee bit second generation gaming. Games like Mercenaries allow free roaming of the environment and 2 players can get to the end following different routes.

Lara's environment is lavish but a slave to a particular pattern of successful exploration.

An example of what I say. Why, in the case of the serpent, can't you just lob a grenade at the damn bell causing the cage to fall and trapping the serpent. The designers are obssessed with 4. In the previous scenarios there were 4 platforms you had to demolish and 4 power supplies you had to switch on ... blah blah. Now I am getting in danger of being boring and predictable.....

I am just completely stunned that so many people had trouble with this section. I read Stella's walkthroughs and just try to follow her advice and she almost always gets me through. I'm also a little baffled that people would just give up the game due to this. I've had parts in TR that frustrated me to no end before, but I've never said "well, I'm selling this game, it's a piece of e because I coudn't get past one part."

The serpent part was hard, I must've tried at least 10 times. But once I figured out how it worked it was a piece of cake. I just run out, I always go to the rightmost bell first. I press G to pull guns and start firing. At this point I don't even look at Lara anymore, I'm watching the snake the whole time. He'll knock Lara down several times, but I just get back up, stay exactly where I am, squarely facing the bell I'm shooting for, and keep firing. Still watching the snake, mind you. When the snake closes his mouth and starts to turn his head, I know the bell is affecting him. I quickly press G again, just once. Quickly press Q once, pause for half a second, then press E firmly to reel in the grapple. Cage goes down, and I run for the left most bell. Same thing. I do the middle two bells last because they are the hardest. You have to have Lara facing the bell and lever pretty squarely, or she'll try to target the other bell when she grapples. They are just rather close together in that way. The right middle bell always goes easily for me, but the left middle one usually requires a 2nd try as Lara's grappled the wrong thing or some such nonsense.

But it isn't really that hard.

Red Face (Embarrassed) Battle with the sea serpent

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanShark
    I need help please when you are fighting the sea monster. I shoot the bells to distract the monster but I get to the last one and I pull the lever the cage gets stuck and won't drop on the monster. Is this a bug in the game as some people have reported or am I doing something wrong?

I have just finished that level.

I found that I had to work left back while on the bridge. Then left front ( hiding back in the temple or whatever soon as I bashed one bell). Then I did front right while on the ground (back in the temple to hide) then back right.

Been on this for ages. Grapple kept going to wrong section.

Hope this helps:

Whow... n00bish...

How long exactly did all of you indevidualy spend on that level, so far it sounds like most of you are completly bad at this game (note: some of you)
    that was like one of the easy levels (on adventurer) though I lose a lot of health (on hard) Hint: just keep pressing crouch/duck wile moving left/right it basicly dodges most attacks... it's either a glitch/cool bug or move-to-make-game-easy controle

my game does'nt give any problems (well maby some gripping stuff and save points) and ive got ver. 1.0

LΞGΞND

I heard about bug at this point... I guess so... that sometimes the cage blocks but I didn't meet it during my trip (PC)... I use such scenario to jump this Sea Serpent:

- Save game before action...
    - prepere Lara to it (full health packs...) - use "Home" button to recover health...
    - chose one of the Sea Serpent left or right and go close to the bell in the place that You will be able to use magnetic grapple...
    - get the pistols using automatic aim option button...
    - several steps to the left and right and shoot to the BELL
    - the Sea Serpent hipnotize always in the same moment it is easy to apreciate this moment
    - when this moment will be close... or when it happen...
    - hide pistols using automatic aim option button...
    - and quick shoot to the bell using the magnetic grapple and use the interactive button to put down the cage and hit the Sea Serpent
    - when it happens the Sea Serpent lose 1/4 of power...

Try to repeat this for all Sea Serpent...

i think you are doing something wrong

For people in trouble with the serpent

Don't give up.

Believe me. If you are calm enough you can beat the monster with no scratch
    at all.

But for that you must press the right keys in the right time. If you are on a PC, just remap HOLSTER/GRAPPLE/INTERACT in sequence wherever suits you so that you do not have to look to the keys but actually follow the moves of the serpent. Most time people (as I did the first attempts) fail because we tend to shoot the bell too much. AS SOON AS the serpent turns to the bell and its eyes glitters, press HOSTER, wait (DO NOT KEEP PRESSING - PERHAPS YOUR PUTER IS JUST A LITTLE SLOW) a milliseconds, press GRAPPLE, wait a milliseconds, then press INTERACT, and you get it crushed.

After the shortcut run IMMEDIATELY to the far opposite bell (keeping moving is Lara's only chance because the serpent is not accurate in its attacks) repeat the process go to the bell on the right over the bridge and finally to the left.

As I said,you just need to the calm. Put away sounds if necessary.

------

Also, if you need more time to kill it IN THE TIME TRIAL. Use a shortcut in the tall room with unstable stairs:

After the forklift goes down, go to the first unstable stairs, but instead of proceeding on, adjust Lara facing the the dangling chains below. When the portion of stairs falls down wait a millisecond, run and grap the chains. Turn around and jump to the next unstable stairs, run to the last part, and finally, with guns pulled, make a safe jump to the little slope on the ground at the corner of the tall room. Congrats: NO SCRATCH.

Now Lara has a lot of time to beat the monster.

Question help please

i know what yo mean im stck at that boss too and dont know what to do.
    lepoard do yo have to restart the whole game again or can yo just restart the level as the far left lever does not work???

Big Grin

Hi! I was stuck on that stupid serpent too,but the levers and bels were cool.I started from the right bell next to the shore,then the left one next to the shore.After that I went on the bridge and did the right than the left bell! Peace of cake.At the begining I was afraid of the sucker,but then I killed it and I was laughing at it when it died.

Arrow

I killed the sucker easy.

To those who are having trouble on the sea monste stage heres some help...

The stage that you are refering to is very tricky i must admit at first but this stage will take just a little practice. Timimng is what is important here. Start on the far right of the screen make sure your ammo is up to parr first, then wait for monster to just begin to surface and shott the bell making sure that the echo tones are wide as possible to distract the monster. Even if the monster starts to attack he will turn to the bell in awe of the echo tone and you already know fire the magnetic grapple and let him have it. If the sequence is not correct as you know it would appear that the cages are getting stuck but in fact the monster will move as it was not timed correct and he will attack you. If the monster starts to attack do not stand in the same area as you will surley be stuck in a pattern of doom that will make very upset. Instead go for another bell as the monster will surmerge and you can try again fresh. Trust me it took me an hour to perfect this. I have completed this game with only 88% complete but i have unlocked all the rewards brone , some silver , and i am still searching for the gold. The Final stage of the game is the most rewarding as you get to use excaliber the sword itself and go against amanda's little friend from the pendent she wears around her neck i dont want to spoil the ending of the game but here a great tip to win.....L2 !!!!!!!!!! I dont want to tell everthing to beat the game as it would spoil it for everyone hope the tip helps with the sea monster though. I cant wait till the next version of tomb raider to come out as the ending of the game makes you want to continue your journey oh so badly...enjoy.

Rolleyes hmm

i have the same problem with the PS2 version I cant seem to get the cages to fall or for the bells to ringer louder and when they do ring loud the snake looks at it for like a minute and then attacks her...
    If you want to give me the world, then just give me your love.

http://www.myspace.com/lovingyourfear

:rasp:

This should help.........

Quote Originally Posted by lunastar87 View Post
    i have the same problem with the PS2 version I cant seem to get the cages to fall or for the bells to ringer louder and when they do ring loud the snake looks at it for like a minute and then attacks her...
    The stage that you are refering to is very tricky i must admit at first but this stage will take just a little practice. Timimng is what is important here. Start on the far right of the screen make sure your ammo is up to parr first, then wait for monster to just begin to surface and shott the bell making sure that the echo tones are wide as possible to distract the monster. Even if the monster starts to attack he will turn to the bell in awe of the echo tone and you already know fire the magnetic grapple and let him have it. If the sequence is not correct as you know it would appear that the cages are getting stuck but in fact the monster will move as it was not timed correct and he will attack you. If the monster starts to attack do not stand in the same area as you will surley be stuck in a pattern of doom that will make very upset. Instead go for another bell as the monster will surmerge and you can try again fresh. Trust me it took me an hour to perfect this. I have completed this game with only 88% complete but i have unlocked all the rewards brone , some silver , and i am still searching for the gold. The Final stage of the game is the most rewarding as you get to use excaliber the sword itself and go against amanda's little friend from the pendent she wears around her neck i dont want to spoil the ending of the game but here a great tip to win.....L2 !!!!!!!!!! I dont want to tell everthing to beat the game as it would spoil it for everyone hope the tip helps with the sea monster though. I cant wait till the next version of tomb raider to come out as the ending of the game makes you want to continue your journey oh so badly...enjoy.

Cool Grapple

It is a glitch in that level. I think you might have done something wrong somewhere along the line. I was stuck there trying to figure for a whole week, and then finally replaying it. I beat it already I know what to do. So I replayed it and it worked again. Therefore there must be a glitch.

intrepid_soul Guest
    http://support.eidosinteractive.com/...leid=557&nav=0

Is everyrthing we know on the serpent issue.

Gee legend,

Thanks for your "polite" and thoughtful insults.

"Bad" players"? There are NO "bad" players, only frustrated ones. Like we ALL have been. If you NEVER have been then why do you play?

NO game these days is bug free.

Part of the fun is even getting around the shortcomings of the game itself.

Yeah, Today, the games have WAY better graphics, but the old stuff had more bullet-proof programming and almost infinite ability to deal with how good you got at it.

I marvel at how this new stuff baffles newcomers these days and sympathize with the chicken-s**t tech support you'll get when it goes astray.

But...

TRL has no in-escapable puzzles.

You can trust it to get you out of whatever you get into as long as it doesn't crash.

Nobody here is a "dummy", just another frustrated individual that has yet to figure out how to solve the current problem.

We've all been there, done that.

Hey, is this not what it's all about in the first place?

Just in case anyone is wondering for the PC version of Legend, you can holster your weapons with the 'G' key. It's more efficient to fire weapons, soon as the serpents head turns towards the structure press 'G' to immediately holster and then use your grapple on the mechanism.

Hope that helps any PC user that gets stuck on this boss fight.

Martin C x

Sea Monster... ... Thing

It is such a red herring (not liturally) that damn part of the level!!

When the monster comes up near the bell - you shoot at it to confuse it, then pull the lever to smash 'im on 'is head.

I had to call up the helpline for that one... at least I had my parents backing!!

KP

Sea serpent troubles

Have to admit it I gave up.
    I've got a download file and will play from there. It's the second time only that I've done this but both were in the last 2 editions of TR.

I was enjoying this level until this boss thing came up again. I only have half life due to being stupid There are no pickups so in essence no point really.

I may go back to try it again but its spoilt the game really for me because everyone wants to say they did it.

Took awhile!!!!

Nessee(sea monster was a btch) I had to walk away chill and come back to it.

I got help at Stellalunes' site, found under S here (member)....probably easy to google.Do donate she's a sweety.

That's one thing I would change in Legend insanely hard challenges,not a major glitch but if you've had a hard day and just want to hang out out with your favorite two dementional delusion.......hey stress not invited

lots of ideas,no talent,been lonely too long
    Da Baby

Nessy!

Hahahahaha This made me laugh thanks for that

I haven't touched the game for 2 weeks because of this and I just logged on to see what was new? I am sure before very long I'll be again since I've decided to see if I can crack it.
    Keep well.

Quote Originally Posted by babywrath View Post
    Nessee(sea monster was a btch) I had to walk away chill and come back to it.

I got help at Stellalunes' site, found under S here (member)....probably easy to google.Do donate she's a sweety.

That's one thing I would change in Legend insanely hard challenges,not a major glitch but if you've had a hard day and just want to hang out out with your favorite two dementional delusion.......hey stress not invited

lots of ideas,no talent,been lonely too long
    Da Baby

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast