Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: These grapple points are not working (Sea Serpent Troubles)

I have read that the Saved Games mentioned above only work when playing on a pc.
    Shirley
    http://tombraidergal.homestead.com/files/ss10.GIF
    Old Tombraiders never die, we just fade away.

I am playing on a pc and have never used manual aim, just shoot til the bell rings loudly and the serpent looks away. Holster, grapple, pull (action) and sometimes repeatedly using the action. Perhaps it is different when using your system.
    Shirley
    http://tombraidergal.homestead.com/files/ss10.GIF
    Old Tombraiders never die, we just fade away.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirleyC
    I am playing on a pc and have never used manual aim, just shoot til the bell rings loudly and the serpent looks away. Holster, grapple, pull (action) and sometimes repeatedly using the action. Perhaps it is different when using your system.
    Shirley
    There is no command to tell Lara to holster her weapons. In the 360 version it's like I said earlier. You click the right thumbstick to go in accurate aim mode. When you do that she automatically draws her guns. Then you can choose to shoot, or if you see the blue reticle you can choose to hit the X button and launch the grapple. This is the way it's been the whole game folks. And it's worked great up until now.

Quote Originally Posted by 357mag
    There is no command to tell Lara to holster her weapons. In the 360 version it's like I said earlier. You click the right thumbstick to go in accurate aim mode. When you do that she automatically draws her guns. Then you can choose to shoot, or if you see the blue reticle you can choose to hit the X button and launch the grapple. This is the way it's been the whole game folks. And it's worked great up until now.
    Isn't there another button to pull out the guns generally? I mean not in accurate aim mode?

On the PS2 you press L1 and she pulls out her guns and auto-targets for you to fire.

If you need to accurately aim at something (guns or grapple), you click the righ thumbstick to go into accurate aim mode - as you describe above.

At this stage in the game, to defeat the sea creature, you don't need to use the accurate aim on the PS2, you use the auto-target aim.

Hope that makes sense.

Yep, PC only there. However, many people complete the game on a console, so it must be possible. I am told that shooting the left rear cage before trying it with any others worked, but I could never make it happen myself.

Actually, it seems he hit a glitch on the area. Even if he doesn't use the accurate aim, point is the grapple won't attach to that last lever. Not sure, but have you tried grappling it without the autoaim? Center the lever on the camera and simply press X to throw the grapple. If it attaches, try pulling it.

Well I can make Lara fire her pistols by just hitting the right trigger. She fires and then puts them away. I also can tell her to throw her grapple by just hitting the X button. But it seems to me that I would have to go into accurate aim mode in order to line up the targeting reticle with the grapple point. I don't see how just throwing the grapple all willy nilly would work. I'll try it though.

It should. Whenever there's a sheen on screen Lara will recogize and throw the grapple, even if you have your back turned on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 357mag
    Well I can make Lara fire her pistols by just hitting the right trigger. She fires and then puts them away. I also can tell her to throw her grapple by just hitting the X button. But it seems to me that I would have to go into accurate aim mode in order to line up the targeting reticle with the grapple point. I don't see how just throwing the grapple all willy nilly would work. I'll try it though.
    Try it 357mag. This is how you do it on the PS2. There isn't enough time at this point to accurate aim the grapple I find.

Like Treeble says, the grapple will find the right bit, although you may have to make sure Lara is facing the right way.

Good luck.

How wonderful. Just the news I wanted to read.

Well I won. I defeated the sea monster. It didn't take as long as I thought it was though. After reading the posts on this board I was pretty much thinking this is going to be a really aggravating battle. But in about an hour and a half he was down. But I gotta say though that the way the developers did the grapple points in this particular part of the game really seems sloppy.

Glad you made it!

The grapple works the same way throughout the whole game. The secret is on the camera rotation. When there are two sheen items on screen she tends to pull the closest one, but with a simple rotation you get her 'focus' on the other object. Takes a while to master, I'll admit, but I am impressed you made it this far only using the accurate aim whenever you needed to use the grappl!

Hi,
    I've encountered the same problem as many others, I cannot kill the two serpants. I was thinking about restarting England in Easy Mode, however I cannot find the link to restart level I can only restart the game in easy mode. Would doing it on easy mode make any difference? Any level skips? I am playing the game on PS2. I would appreciate any help as Im only 17 and earn a mere £16 a week so the game was expensive to me and I cannot complete it.

Please help me.
    add me on msn if that'll help jenniferhunter94@hotmail.com
    Thanks
    Doll

I pulled them before and a bug didn't appear.

How Strange

I played with them too, but I admit I'm not sure about saving it (guess did so).

Quote Originally Posted by Doll
    Hi,
    I was thinking about restarting England in Easy Mode, however I cannot find the link to restart level I can only restart the game in easy mode. Would doing it on easy mode make any difference? Any level skips?
    Doll
    There is no way to replay a level untill you've completed the level, unfortunatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoboy

Thanks so much! I am on PC- quick question... What key puts my guns away? You are awesome!
    ShirleyC means that you stop shooting. Lara will pause for a second then holster her guns. I realized that if you hit the grapple button just once, and don't press it again and again, Lara will grapple the mechanism. I know it's very hard to control yourself, but the movement is timed and you have to do it quickly before the serpent moves it's attention back to you. Hope this helps.

Thank you were all very helpful but I still cant do it. Nvm ill keep trying.
    Doll

Hi Everyone just popped in to see how you are all doing and I see the old chestnut of the serpent is still causing problems.

I posted a walkthrough some time ago that helped PC users kill the thing so I'll post a link back to it here http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...ight=Pendragon Scroll down to you see my name

I hope it helps some of you get past this part.

Regards, pendragon.

Just thought I'd add. Yesterday when I was playing England on time trial I had that phenomena happening to me, Lara wouldn't throw the grapple on the last mechanism, neither with accurate aim nor anyway else. I thought about giving up too, and since I was going to do so I jumped onto the lake just for fun. Turns out the serpent grapped me and threw me onto the castle area again, I was still alive and when I tried it again, the grapple went onto the last mechanism just fine.

I'm not sure what causes the glitch and if this is a solution that will always work, but if it happens to you, give it a try. Won't hurt. Well, not you anyway. Make sure you have at least one medipack left as that attack will take a lot of Lara's energy.

Normally all you need to do is try it from a different angle or position, it is probably easier just to run back towards the shore, and then double back as soon as he dives. My motto was always if she stuffed it up twice do not try a third time but run for it and comeback. l always had trouble with the back left one, she never ever did it straight away, l always had to come back for a second attempt at least. And in the end l used to perch that close to the edge on the left corner l would occasionally fall in anyway

At the beginning I had the same problem.
    I looked for some advice on the net and found this information from stella’s site that helped me really:

Simpler said than done, naturally. Here are some tips, in no particular order, which will hopefully make things easier:
    • Save manually before exiting the building. Then you can reload whenever you choose.
    • After the first time, skip the initial cut scene by pressing Escape/Start, then choosing Skip Cinematic from the menu. Unfortunately you can't do that for the cut scene when Lara falls into the water or the ones after you succeed in dropping each cage.
    • Begin to grapple the lever before the serpent's full attention goes to the bell. You'll have a little more time that way. As soon as you see its head start to turn toward the sound, press Target Lock (to holster guns) then grapple then Interact (to pull).
    • Don't tap the holster/grapple/pull keys repeatedly. It's tempting in the heat of battle, but a firm press on each one with a brief pause between actually works better.
    • The serpent is blind so it tracks its prey by sound. If its attention strays from the ringing bell toward Lara, stop shooting so it doesn't move in on the sound of her pistols. Then move to another bell and start shooting again only when close enough so the reticule turns red. It should then be attracted to the bell rather than Lara.
    • If you succeed in pulling the lever but the cage misses the serpent, move on to a different bell and lever, giving the first one time to reset before you try again.
    • Do the more difficult levers first, whichever those are for you. Then if you succeed, keep going. If Lara's nearly dead and you still have two levers to go, reload and try again.
    • Or, do the levers in order from right to left, luring the serpent from bell to bell. I haven't had too much luck with this method, but several players swear they've done the whole thing "easily" by starting on the far right, where the serpent first comes out of the water. They suggest activating the first bell and lever from the shore, rather than the bridge. Then moving onto the bridge for the second and third, then back to the shore for the fourth (leftmost). This strategy may result in the bug where the left- or rightmost lever doesn't function. So you may want to skip it. See the bug warning below.
    • When working on the two levers at the end of the broken bridge, sometimes Lara will grapple the wrong lever. Pointing the camera directly at the correct lever (using the mouse or right stick) and then turning Lara toward it (by tapping Forward) both seem to help.
    • Several PlayStation users have recommend holding down the grapple button (Square) while working the other controls. That doesn't seem to work on the PC game, but maybe it helps on the consoles.
    • A few players recommend using the rifle instead of pistols. It does allow you to target the bells from farther away, but sometimes the grapple won't reach that far. Try it if you like.
    • Adjust the screen brightness if necessary. It's awfully dark down here. The Options menu includes Calibration for changing brightness and contrast settings. Or, just turn up your monitor/TV.
    • Turn off the sound. If, like me, you're easily worked up by dramatic music, eliminate that distraction.
    BUG WARNING: There is a bug here, in which one or more of the cages get stuck and won't drop when you pull the lever. If you have tried all the suggestions for completing this section normally and the cages just won't drop, then it's most likely the bug. Eidos support recommends replaying the level, though perhaps just reloading from an earlier save will help. Several players have suggested not pulling any levers before entering the tomb and then, when fighting the serpent, using the levers beyond the end of the bridge first, then the two near the shore.

help with grapple and statue

I can't get to the ball I tried to use the grapple to pull down the statue but the grapple won't reach that high! Please someone explain exactly what to do, do I need to stand on something? This is the psp version.

Well that really does not have to much to do with the dragon section, all you have to do is look at it (move the camera if necessary) grapple and then use the interact button to pull the grapple line. Sorry l have no idea what you press on the PSP. If after looking she will still not grapple just use accurate aim

sorry,i am new in that forum,i don't know if i should post in that thread or make another
    i have the psp-version of the game,and i am in England level.i have already visit the cave with the oil and swam in a big lake,but i haven't seen anything...
    I entered in the King's Arthur tomb and i saw 1 bell,a broken cofin and king's cofin...what should i do...?
    where is the monster?is sth wrong,or i must do sth to see the boss of the level...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast