Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10th Anniversary Editionof Tomb Raider Not for Xbox or Xbox 360

10th Anniversary Edition of Tomb Raider Not for Xbox or Xbox 360

Tomb Raider was the first 3-D Adventure game I ever played. I bought it for my Sega Saturn back in the day. It broke my heart when Tomb Raider 2 became a Playstation Exclusive. The Next time I'd play a Tomb Raider game would be on Sega's Dreamcast and they weren't very good .

Here we are 10 years later and the News of a Tomb Raider Remake has hit the internet. You couldn't imagine the excitement I felt. However, it soon turned to disappointment. Its just for PC, Playstation 2 and PSP.

When you have a franchise like Tomb Raider, you want to make sure you take care of all fans. Not just fans of one console. I own a Video Game Store in Albuquerque, New Mexico called Gamers Anonymous. I can tell you that at my store, we sell 75% more Xbox Products over Playstation. Now I know that not true all over the world. However, we don't sell PC games because the market is dead. PSP stuff sell as slow as a snale and Tomb Raider wouldn't sell well in my shop on PS2. At the rate Xbox stuff sells here, it would probably do well.

Oh well, its not my loss. Its a loss to fans of the Tomb Raider Series and Eidos.

It's silly thinking Sony rules the market, they can't even come up with creative ideas on their own - seriously the only thing that has kept them on market for so long is third party support like this.

I personally will get down on my knees and pray every single night that they will port this game to GameCube too. It's a 'dying' console? So is Playstation 2.

Well, it's only because the first Tomb Raider came out on PC and PSX only. They want to follow this tradition with the remake. But I'm sure that they will make it for Gamecube too whatever. If they made a GBA,DS and NGC version for TRL, they will maybe do it for the remake too no?

Well, it's only because the first Tomb Raider came out on PC and PSX only. They want to follow this tradition with the remake. But I'm sure that they will make it for Gamecube too whatever. If they made a GBA,DS and NGC version for TRL, they will maybe do it for the remake too no?
    Actually, the original Tomb Raider was released on Sega Saturn and quickly greedy Sony accquired exclusivity for the next titles. The thing is they've only announced it on PC, PSP and PS2. By the time Legend was announced, they had it scheduled to come out for PC, Xbox and PS2, with Xbox 360 and PSP versions coming shortly after. It was only officially announced it was going to be ported for the GameCube on April 1st - one week prior to it's release on the other platforms.

I hope they do port it, even if it means I'll have to wait additional 6+ months to play it.

Tomb Raider has always been a big name in the gaming market. Sales figures would probably look like this:
    50k - GameCube
    200k - Xbox
    100k - DS
    100k- Xbox 360
    It ads up to a good number of happy players on all Consoles. Those are under estimated Numbers. I think Eidos could do better. I'd imagine the PSP would do less than 50k. If Capcom had released Resident Evil 4 for Xbox During the sametime period as the Playstation 2 version, they could have moved over 400k units for Xbox easily.

I wouldn't have known Tomb Raider if it weren't for my dad, buying a PS-ONE with a bundle of the games his co-worker gave him. one of those games in those bundles were TOMB RAIDER and that was a great game I've played. I wouldn't have known Tomb Raider/liked Tomb Raider if it weren't for PS-ONE Of course, I feel bad for those who won't geddit 'cause of their platforms (unless they have a PC - which, IMO not as comfortable with then a console . I'd die to have hear that a game is only exlusive to a certain system...but I'm fine here

A lot of developers seem to be ditching the Xbox these days, Microsoft let it die early so no one really cares about it anymore.

With this being a remake perhaps Eidos just doesn't want to risk releasing it on xbox 360 where the development costs are higher.

I'm just happy that it's on PS2 and not just PSP like what I originally saw on IGN.

If you have the money though I would recommend getting a PS2. There is lots of great games that you could get cheap. You wouldn't regret it.

It's not about the money, really. I don't own a Playstation because of it's brand. I'm a Nintendo hardcore at heart and will die that way. Fact is, there still is a very large share of Tomb Raider fans on other systems, PC mainly, but there were Tomb Raider games on Saturn, Dreamcast, Gameboy... To me the whole exclusivity agreement is silly, except if Sony had designed Lara (like Sega had Sonic and Nintendo has Mario), which as we all know, it didn't.

Eidos is making a mistake because the are missing an opportunity to continue promoting the Tomb Raider brand. As far as Xbox goes, there are 22 million units on the Market. Just because the Xbox 360 has been released doesn't mean that those systems are suddenly boxed up and put in a closet. To port the source code over to other consoles including Xbox 360 isn't as expensive as developers would have you believe.

Working in the industry, there's a good many reasons why I'm not happy with Playstation 2. Its called "Disc Read Error". Sony claims they have 100 million units on the market. However everyone I've known has owned 2-3 PS2's because they stop reading disc. There's probably 30 million working units world wide.

I hope you guys do get it for the Xbox eventually, and even the Gamecube for Treeble.

I have a feeling this may have something to do with the exclusivity deals that TR had with Sony PS earlier on. For legal reasons Eidos may be bound to release the remakes on those platforms first. But hopefully they'll be OK later on, especially if the game does sell well.

If it is this reason, then Sony won't want Eidos to announce this fact upfront, especially as a release like this could boost their PSP sales a fair amount.

No XBox...

And further good news...
    *sorry*
    Do-Not-Spam!
    Do-Not-E-Mail-Registry!
    But you may reply to this e-mail.

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

It'll come to X360 and Gamecube at a later date I think.

l doubt it, l think the contract with Sony means it will only be on their consoles and PC. Core were doing it for the same 3 platforms PS2, PSP and PC. l think the best you could hope for is that they will later do a version for the PS3

That's though to say, Eidos doesn't seem to have an agreement with Sony for the latest outings (Legend, for instance, it's on about every platform or will be in a couple more months). We're still not sure if the Anniversary Edition is still going to be a remake, but in that case, it'd require a new agreement, wouldn't it?

Eidos' exclusivity agreement with Sony was not specific to Tomb Raider 2 & 3 from what I understand, it was based on a set number of years. As such, there should be no issue with releasing the anniversary title on XBox & XBox 360. I know that a lot of XBox & XBox 360 owners are Tomb Raider fans, so I'm very sorry to see that this game at this time is planned to be exclusive. I hope that Eidos wises up and announces a new release plan for this game. Due to Microsoft's XNA kit, it wouldn't be terribly involved to port this game to XBox or XBox 360 from PC.

I'm lucky to have own a PS-1/2 ever since but it's hard to see that not all will be able to play unless they have a good PC and such and such...

Yeah it's a bit confusing. My guess was that since TR premiered on the PC and PSX, they are sticking to those (and Sega Saturn I think, but Sega no longer has a system so that is moot). PSP is a little odd though, and I can only guess the reason for that is maybe it's easy enough to port PS2 titles to the PSP (similar hardware and all). I don't know though.

But as I said in another topic, Capcom did a similar thing with the Mega Man Anniversary Edition. That was only released for GameCube and PS2, given that the first 8 Mega Man games were only for NES (MM 1-6), SNES (MM7) and PSX (MM8). But then, later they went and released a version for Xbox several months later. So I suppose versions of this might show up for the other consoles, but maybe they wanted to keep it to those specific platforms first since it's an Anniversary game.

I think this may also help with development time (not developing for 6 different platforms at once and all). And they kind of need to get this game out in time for November to meet the anniversary date

Correct me if I'm wrong but Tomb Raider was a PS only game and the PC version was there because Sony's exclusive rights only reflect console owners, right?

um...I dunno about the facts but I know what you said there wasn't correct. Someone here will correct that info for you ...(waitin'...)

Tomb Raider came to Saturn a whole month before it was ported to the Playstation, THEN Sony came with the exclusivity agreement which only lasted until TR3. Tomb Raider 4 and 5 was released on Dreamcast. Tomb Raider 6 probably would have been ported to Xbox, hadn't it been such a flop.

Likewise, the Resident Evil Remake is exclusive to GameCube, yet the game was featured in PS1. I think only Resident Evil 2 was released for Nintendo 64.

Oh well, it's really confusing, but I really think they should port the Anniversary Edition to all platforms (GameCube and Xbox/X360). Cost/benefit should prove it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karthik
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Tomb Raider was a PS only game and the PC version was there because Sony's exclusive rights only reflect console owners, right?
    No, Tomb Raider definately started on PC. I'm quite positive about that

Hm, TR was first a Saturn Game, second a Playstation Game, finaly a PC Game. And what has this to do with TR10AE?
    Do-Not-Spam!
    Do-Not-E-Mail-Registry!

Quote Originally Posted by midroth
    Hm, TR was first a Saturn Game, second a Playstation Game, finaly a PC Game. And what has this to do with TR10AE?
    Nothing...
    "Oh Yeah!" - Duffman
    If you like the Pazaak mini-game from Star Wars KOTOR go see my website:
    http://purepazaak.collateraldesign.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by midroth
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/tomb-raider/release-info

The saturn release date for europe isn't mentioned. Anyway, something is wrong. Guess, I ask Goran...
    Do-Not-Spam!
    Do-Not-E-Mail-Registry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast