Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: PS2 Urban Chaos Online Multiplayer

PS2 Urban Chaos Online Multiplayer

PS2 Urban Chaos Online Multiplayer

Hello hello.

I'm enjoying Urban both offline and online at the moment - but not as much as I'd like to. The number of people currently playing online is minimal, especially after midnight (GMT) when all of the sane people in the UK go to bed. Unfortunately for me, this is just about the only time I can play online.
    My question is this:

When the game is released in the US, will the EU and US servers be 'combined'?

If I can play against US players I imagine I could spend many hours online, as the online game itself is excellent... but if the servers aren't combined and the game goes quiet after midnight I fear the online community will shrink even further and eventually disappear.
    Especially for the nocturnal freaks like me.

If this game takes off online and becomes busy, then I will be a very happy bunny indeed. If not... it would be such a waste of great potential.

Any informed answers to my question would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

the game will be released next week, here in the u.s. just a few questions, how many game modes, players etc.... can you give some info on the multiplayer please, thanks.
    www.bf2home.com

there really needs to be more people on. its a fun game.
    www.bf2home.com

Dave, sorry if I ignored your response - I'd kinda given up on this forum.
    I was trawling the leaderboards and I noticed your name, which suggests that the EU and US servers are merged... unless there's another Chicagodave out there. (I'm sure I remember you from TSFP)

As you said, the game is excellent, but needs to be busier. Much busier.

DTseraphim

yea that is me. since you guys are 6 hours ahead and i only play at night, so thats probly why you havent seen me online. this game is great wish more people would get, eidos does some really nice games but they do a piss poor job of advertising.
    www.bf2home.com

I tend to play very late, so I would expect that I would have seen you or some other US/Canadian players. It now seems that the EU and US servers are not combined, despite everybody sharing the same leaderboard.

For us, the game dies at around 1:00 am. Normally I like to play until 6:00 am. It pisses me off to know that there are games being played and I can't access them because I live in the wrong region.

Great game, pathetic online service.

Yeah, I was gonna say, I've never seen any of the DT clan guys on. And there are games always going on late. Last night there were tons of people all night, I stopped playing around 6:00am Eastern and there was still at least 5 full games going

I wish I could take part in those late games. The lack of competition on the EU servers will kill the game for my clan.

A few days before the game was released in the US, our servers started behaving strangely, lagging quite badly.
    We assumed that EIDOS/Gamespy were working on the servers in preparation for the US release. We can't play against you guys, and our servers continue to lag... hopefully we are right and the servers are still being worked on. Maybe we will see them combined in the near future. Maybe I'm just being naive.

Whatever is happening, both EIDOS and Gamespy seem incapable of answering reasonable questions.

there are more players hopping online for the ps2 u.s. side, hopefully they can combine both servers that would be very sweet. eidos seems to be hit and miss with their online stuff. hopefully they get right one of these days, but compared to other companies they do a pretty good job.
    www.bf2home.com

Ever the optimist...

For all their faults, EIDOS can't be as bad as EA, huh?

Originally Posted by Seraphim
    Ever the optimist...

For all their faults, EIDOS can't be as bad as EA, huh?

i would usually agree with that ea being the devil and all but ea brought us bf2 which is probly the greatest ps2 online ever so i forgave them for all their sins.
    www.bf2home.com

my name is byrdman there...but my big bro is always playing tho..his name is batman

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Paul_Wall
    my name is byrdman there...but my big bro is always playing tho..his name is batman
    ON BF2? OR URBAN CHAOS?

i ask that eidos does a better job of adveritsing this game, cause this game is very appyling to ages 14-22, because of the gore the fact you can shoot peoples heads off u can massacre people with chain saw throwing molotovs at people i mean seriously it's awsome it's an easy job to be done the next problem is getting it out too people you have to air your commercial more often unless u want this to become another project snowblind. before i talk to some of my m8s i had never even heard of this game i was like wat the hell is urban chaos and to tell u the truth because i knew so little about i was on the edge of buying it. i hadn't seen ne screen shots except for the like 6 screenshots there website provided us with and i only saw that one Sy commercial i saw on the website i dont mean to sound valgur or like an ass but thats how i feel and i want this game to gett off the ground so i ask if eidos reads this i ask that they hold a commercial making comp for this game people normal people go out make a commercial that appeals too them and then they send it in to you and u analyze it say theres to much gore lets take off the part were his head fly's off personally i would love too make a commercial for u guys but i dont have a camera that'll work proper.
    think about it eidos it's a free commercial u can set the person u prvided it to them with like a gift card to ebgames or bestbuy or somthing but it's gonna be good please i ask that either make a new commercial and air it ALOT or u get some of the players of urban chaos too make one for u because im telling u thats were it's lakiing not becuase it's a bad game because this game is deff one of the best fps's i've seen in a long time it's just under advertised!!

Not only under advertised, but under supported. Like you said, Urban is potentially an excellent online FPS, but it has been left to die by EIDOS and Gamespy. I'm not too sure about the US servers, but I can say that the EU servers are in desperate need of maintenance. Our servers are now unplayable due to unexplainable lag.

It's such a bloody shame. This game ran perfectly for the first couple of weeks, and now it has deteriorated so badly that it is now impossible to play competitively.
    The release schedule for PS2 onlne games is pretty barren. It would have been nice if Urban lasted more than a month. Roll on PS3 eh?

i of course have to agree with seraphim, i dont understand y u would do all that work on a masterfull game and then leave it out to dry. i haven't experienced lag in the NA servers!

Originally Posted by Seraphim
    A few days before the game was released in the US, our servers started behaving strangely, lagging quite badly.

We assumed that EIDOS/Gamespy were working on the servers in preparation for the US release.
    Do you mean account/lobby/friend services or in game? For the in game stuff there are no "servers" as such because each game session is shared between the players active in that session using peer-to-peer.

I have noticed GameSpy being a bit laggy during busy periods (2300 GMT - 0100 GMT) which can affect the peer-to-peer negotiation when moving from the lobby to the game.

If the in game stuff is laggy then it is probably because there is poor internet performance between some players or a firewall is blocking some peer-to-peer connections forcing the packets to get routed through the game host instead. The instruction manual contains information on what ports to open to help with potential firewall issues.

The EU players may experience slightly more lag because they are able to play people from the UK, Spain, France, Germany and Italy and the internet connections between those countries can be a bit dodgy.

US players tend to have slightly more stable internet connections with each other because the US networks don't have to loop around under the sea to several different countries like Europe.

We can't play against you guys, and our servers continue to lag... hopefully we are right and the servers are still being worked on. Maybe we will see them combined in the near future. Maybe I'm just being naive.
    Sony test the different regions of the game at different times and each region uses different map data. The game detects the different map data and this is why you cannot play together.

Well put. I used the word 'server' in a half educated, over simplified way. What I meant was the actual online gameplay itself. When the game first came out I could play with others as far away as Germany without any lag, now everything lags. All the players I've spoken to on the EU circuit have noticed a similair and sharp degradation in gameplay, and all of them have properly configured connections/routers.

I won't pretend to know anything about the workings of PS2 online, I can only report what I (and others) have observed. The EU side of things ran perfectly right up until the day before Urban Chaos was released in America. During the game players (honest players) would be skipping through walls, flying, vanishing. Certain people were unable to connect to various games, depending on the host. Admittedley, these severe problems only occured during a certain time during the day, but even after hours there would still be visible lag. This makes it very difficult to score those all important headshots.
    The quality of gameplay has remained this way since, and has worsened by some accounts. It's like someone threw a switch...

*Thinks*

From your extra description of what happened it sounds like the most likely explanation is that the NAT resolution server stage hosted by GameSpy is having problems with the increased load from US and EU players.

I take it FrankNBeans, is with eidos or gamespyt or sony or sumthing like that so, i ask why so little advertising of this game ( you may not be able to answer this question because u are not directly related with eidos or there advertising department) but i feel that u ahve left so many game out to dry u have made but done nothing else no commercials (from wat i've seen, i knwo there are some out ther) and i request one thing from eidos currently i ask that u take the game off of the upcoming games or watever it is and put it on the "game that are out" or watever it is, because that just proves so many peoples statements that say that eidos loafts and lets the game do it's own thing, but eidos does wonderful things with games. i've only played 2, project snowblind and this. but they are among the best games i've ever played.

Originally Posted by agentNW
    I take it FrankNBeans, is with eidos or gamespyt or sony or sumthing like that so, i ask why so little advertising of this game ( you may not be able to answer this question because u are not directly related with eidos or there advertising department) ...
    I can't answer because I'm just a code monkey and know nothing about the advertising.

i've only played 2, project snowblind and this. but they are among the best games i've ever played.
    Thanks for that, it makes this code monkey a bit happier.

lol, do u play the game?? and would u be able to persuade gamebattles to make a ladder for this game so we can do clan matches.. and if not would be able to get a techy ( or yourself i dont know) to make a ladder for this game so that we can do clan matches!!

Originally Posted by agentNW
    lol, do u play the game??
    Not these days, my PS2 exploded and my Xbox is packed a box somewhere.

and would u be able to persuade gamebattles to make a ladder for this game so we can do clan matches.. and if not would be able to get a techy ( or yourself i dont know) to make a ladder for this game so that we can do clan matches!!
    Me? Persuade? Nahh. Code monkey gets told what code to write and monkey writes it.

Code Monkey or otherwise, thanks for the response!

lol, atleast he's posting on this ladder so far i've only seen us three posting!!,lol it's kinda sad really. but do u know if eidos will be able to make a ladder for this game. or if they'll even consider it??? cause that would be great!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last