Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: GeForce 4 Ti4200

GeForce 4 Ti4200

GeForce 4 Ti4200

Hey guys...new here, just a quick question. With my Ti4200 that doesn't meet minimum game requirements, will the game even launch or will it work, but look so horrible that it's not worth playing? The kids' gaming system has a 6600GT, but I was wondering if I could get by with my Ti4200 at all.

Thanks!

Cool

Well, I think you kind of answered your own question. If your system doesn't meet MINIMUM system requirements, it means that in the BEST scenario, you will playing in 640x480 resolution with every detail disabled. Doesn't sound like fun. Maybe you should wait for the demo to see if it works at all.

I've heard this game needs a pixel shader 2.0. and nvidia 4200 ti has a pixel shader, yet its not 2.0.

Also you can't disable the pixel shader 2.0 extra features.

Looks like i wont be buying this game as i have ti4200 as well and every other games work well and fast on 1024x768.

I don't understand why some developers dont allow people to turn off the pixel 2.0 special effects in their games.

I bought the ti4200 just not long ago to have pixel support, and now i need pixel 2.0!... soo silly.

not buying.

Cool

Originally Posted by hitman1
    How do you know that?

I bought the ti4200 just not long ago to have pixel support, and now i need pixel 2.0!... soo silly.
    Silly???
    What I find rather strange is that you upgraded to a card that's 4 years old. I don't think they are actually being sold any more. I bought one 3.5 years ago, and I find it a bit hard to believe that it runs "every other game well and fast in 1024x768".

Someone with a ti4200 card, see if the demo will run.

Or if some details can be turned off to get it to work.

Is it coming to XBOX1 cause that one doesn't have shader model 2.0....!

Someone with a ti4200 card, see if the demo will run.

Or if some details can be turned off to get it to work.
    A made it work, but it crashes at some point, probably because the pixel shader is used. But anyway, it's a simlpe modification that is needed to make it work. Just change DefaultScene in HitmanBloodMoney.ini so it looks like this:

DefaultScene=M00/M00_intro.GMS

When you run the game, this level will start instead of showing the menu, which would crash the game.

The game will look akward some places, but it can be played.

Yeah that works skipping the menu, the graphics look a bit wierd when its using special lighting effects. other than that it runs fast and no hassles.
    And then crashes as soon as a gun is fired.

Looks like i need a new graphics card.

Originally Posted by Karthik
    Is it coming to XBOX1 cause that one doesn't have shader model 2.0....!
    Yep.,there is an old xbox version of blood money

Originally Posted by martin88
    wow. and they don't even make the PC version backward compatible with decent vid cards like geforce 4 ti series.

Screw xbox, make the pc game better.

Originally Posted by martin88
    Then by right it should work.

well, i tried the demo. and the main menu makes it quit to desktop. then skipping that, when a bullet is fired. it also quits to desktop. soo obviously disabling some sort of setting that eidos hasn't told anyone about *could* possibly fix it.

But since they are saying minimum req is pixel shader 2.0 etc. i dont think they well even say. or bother.

wow. and they don't even make the PC version backward compatible with decent vid cards like geforce 4 ti series.

Screw xbox, make the pc game better.
    The ti4200 was decent many years ago, its very old now (i had one and gave it to a friend). Nobody makes dx8 games these days, you can find a GF 6600 for a very reasonable price .

Ps2.0 or not...90% of games have an option in grafik menu to choose Ps2.0 /1.3.....
    Why cant the developers make this option?
    Its pathetic...

I have a GeForce Ti4600 and get the same crash when a gun is fired. The fps is fine otherwise so I know the card can handle the game in terms of raw power. I just need the devs to add an option to remove all traces of that 2.0 shader..

Originally Posted by Alexlovesguns
    The ti4200 was decent many years ago, its very old now (i had one and gave it to a friend). Nobody makes dx8 games these days, you can find a GF 6600 for a very reasonable price .
    Your statement of nobody makes DX8 games is not credible. The XBox uses a DX8 renderer. Would it be a crime to do the same for the PC versions?

Yes I am in the same boat.

I am a hardcore hitman fan and I havent had a single game that doesnt just scream on my system with my Ti4200 128M.

Why in gods name would I shell out another $400+ on a top shelf video card so I can have a few nifty visual effects, otherwise I cant even play the game?

I downloaded the demo, patched it and made the mods as described to be able to try it. The use of Shader2.0 is so extensive that railings had purple and green. The color washout was horrid. I entered the setup menu to try at least to turn off antistropic filtering to try and correct some of the issues. Game crashed.

Eidos, why oh god why did you do this? I may be an uber hitman superfan, but I'm not going to shell out $400 just to play this stupid game. I mean the hitman franchise is awesome, but...

Realizing that the XBOX version works with DX8 Shader 1.3 and that you force PC users to get this card makes me sick. Way to knock out your fans.

People with Nvidia SLI 1Gb dual cards can play this game and I'm sure it looks great. Except for when their boss comes into the drafting lab and fires them for playing your game, and doesnt buy their excuse that "well this game requires a computer with a grand worth of hardware upgrades" and he retorts "yes, so you can work faster.. now get out"

Originally Posted by computerology
    I am a hardcore hitman fan and I havent had a single game that doesnt just scream on my system with my Ti4200 128M.

Why in gods name would I shell out another $400+ on a top shelf video card so I can have a few nifty visual effects, otherwise I cant even play the game?
    Scream? My old ti4200 screamed when i tried Far Cry and Doom3 with it, H:BM makes very good use of shadder efects on textures and surfaces and lighting, its not overdone and it looks amazing. You can buy a 6600GT for $180 or even much less and the game will run and look quite decent.
    If you dont want or cant upgrade get an xbox, atleast you should then have a playable game and your experience will be better than strugling with the PC at 10 FPS and 800x600 resolution, thats not worth playing and quite frustrating imo.

The PC version is obviously much better looking than the PS2/xbox versions.
    You dont need a great CPU or 2 gigs of ram to play the game, just an half decent mid range graphics card.

Well Tomb Raider Legend proved that you can run the game on low end machine specs and uber end machine specs. But with Hitman Blood Money, it seems they are trying to break that backward compatibility law.

Originally Posted by Karthik
    Well Tomb Raider Legend proved that you can run the game on low end machine specs and uber end machine specs. But with Hitman Blood Money, it seems they are trying to break that backward compatibility law.
    The PC version of TR:L is a port with PS2 graphics, they improved the textures and efects but you can tell by the very poor looking models and npc animation, next gen mode lags on two 7800GTX card SLI setup or so i read.
    The PC version of H:BM has a much higher quality standard (legend was full of graphical glitches).

I agree that BM should scale down to run on older cards but please dont compare it to that terrible Legend port..

Originally Posted by Alexlovesguns
    The PC version of TR:L is a port with PS2 graphics, they improved the textures and efects but you can tell by the very poor looking models and npc animation, next gen mode lags on two 7800GTX card SLI setup or so i read.
    The PC version of H:BM has a much higher quality standard (legend was full of graphical glitches).

I agree that BM should scale down to run on older cards but please dont compare it to that terrible Legend port..
    Eh, it was that bad.....are you sure we are not talking about Angel of Darkness?

I have a ti4200.
    the game will not run.
    @xcom
    [Quote:
    Originally Posted by hitman1]

How do you know that?[/QUOTE]
    you can not turn the effects off, allthough you can turn them down via the .ini file.
    This allows the game to start, but crash when ever the pixel shader2 effect is used. I.E. firing a weapon.
    Blood money is very eletist and will harm nVidia and ATI not one bit.

Doom 3, farcry an many other new games do work with a 4200.

I personally am in no rush to buy a new card just so i can play H:BM (and have it finished in two or three days).

If you don't have the minimum requirements, don't buy this game.
    If you do have the minimum requirements, don't buy this game! Yet.

Let the players weed out all the bugs, and allow the developers to try and fix them. Then when patch version 1.6.78a is out, and youv'e upgraded you whole system, buy the game, download the patches, and play through untill you crash to desk top, then await patch 1.6.78b!!

Originally Posted by computerology

I downloaded the demo, patched it and made the mods as described to be able to try it. The use of Shader2.0 is so extensive that railings had purple and green. The color washout was horrid. I entered the setup menu to try at least to turn off antistropic filtering to try and correct some of the issues. Game crashed.

Eidos, why oh god why did you do this? I may be an uber hitman superfan, but I'm not going to shell out $400 just to play this stupid game. I mean the hitman franchise is awesome, but...

Realizing that the XBOX version works with DX8 Shader 1.3 and that you force PC users to get this card makes me sick. Way to knock out your fans.

People with Nvidia SLI 1Gb dual cards can play this game and I'm sure it looks great. Except for when their boss comes into the drafting lab and fires them for playing your game, and doesnt buy their excuse that "well this game requires a computer with a grand worth of hardware upgrades" and he retorts "yes, so you can work faster.. now get out"
    Newer games will require newer technology. Eidos really has to pick one ff two losses: make so-called "remakes" liek Contracts, where people complained of lack of graphical improvement (as well as the gameplay also completely lacking innovation- remakes of the older missions?!) or they make an actual; sequel, complete with graphical improvements, but those players with older hardware can't play it since the graphical improvements will require better cards than a FX 5200 (which I wonder why they even bothered to list it as supported) So really its us fans that are at fault for b..ching how Contracts barely made anything new of the Hitman franchise while sitting on our butts refusing to upgrade from our junk hardware when Eidos actually makes grahically advanced games.

So there's only two thngs that can happen at the next Hitman sequel

Eidos pulls another Contracts out of their butts because of how everyone stilt has crappy video cards, and people will complain how the game sucks because it looks like the same old thing.
    Or Eidos makes a totally new Hitman game, complete with new engine, new graphics, new storyline, all the gold pieces, but none of all those who never bothered to upgrade from their minimal requirements will complain how they cant enjoy a new game.
    New games need something more than a continuation of storyline and missions. They need visual improvements. IF we all stuck to the same engine for ten years Eidos would lose a lot of customers who actually can afford the 7800gtx cards. Its not just a few extra nifty effects, its faster speeds. You can't complain how a new game liek Hitman Blood Money, that utilizes the kind of graphic visual effects that require such cards, should run on old hardware like Ti4200s. Its like having bought a new car but your licence has expired.
    For the company, its a balance to fulfill their mission of graphics improvement to please those who want a visually better game, while not as the expense of the storyline. I beleive they succeeded with Blood Money.

So now everyone who complained of how Contracts was at most an expansion rather than a sequel now complain about Blood Money being too new and that they should let it run on older cards, which isn't as easy as it sounds without sacrificing graphical improvements. I think they can optimize it on as low as GFmx cards, but it'd be so poor and slow those who own them will b..ch about it anyways. The double standard is from us fans.

You don't have to play Hitman BW if you dont have 400 dollars to spend on a new graphics card. Its not as important as food or shelter. If you're so insistent, then saving up for the occasion can only do the trick. Its fortunate enough the companies actually bother to optimize older cards. In a way they're purposely hindering their technological advance cause we're all too dirt poor to afford such hardware.

And that last part- the boss is firing you cause you're playing computer games when you're suppsoed to be working. Thats like complaining how stealing merchandise spices up your boring life when confronted by the police

Sad as it seems, either have the necessary stuff to play it, or don't. Unless you want continuous remakes of the very first Hitman or Half Life 2 on the first game's engine, you really cant expect more advanced games to be developed when you don't even consider getting better computer parts.

Chaplain, the game engine Blood Money uses is scalable.

I've had some time to think about this, while looking at the H:BM box sitting on my shelf, as it slowly gets covered in dust and other items that get placed on top of it.
    Originally Posted by chaplain_wu
    Sad as it seems, either have the necessary stuff to play it, or don't. Unless you want continuous remakes of the very first Hitman or Half Life 2 on the first game's engine, you really cant expect more advanced games to be developed when you don't even consider getting better computer parts.
    ...this is a fair point.

I guess we all forget that PC hardware advances at an increadable rate.
    If we want to be a pc gamer, we have to keep up, else buy a games console. I much prefer PC gaming, so will stay with it and might upgrade to a GeForce 6600, this should play games for a few months (hopefully years...) then I'll need to upgrade again.

To play this new game, we need new bits!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last