Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal specs for the PC?

Question Ideal specs for the PC?

Has a consensus been reached yet for what is really needed to be able to run this game without problems? We all know by now that the "minimum" specs listed on the box are hopelessly inadequate to run the game, and it appears that trying to play Legend at the level of the "recommended" specs is problematic, at best. So how close to the "optimal" specs do you have to be for a trouble free experience?

And is it true that your sound card must be a Sound Blaster Audigy, and your graphics card must be an NVidia product?
    Has anyone been able to play the game well without an Audigy card? How about with an ATI graphics card?

I would really like to know just how much computer I would need to buy to be able to play this game problem free.
    Start every day with a smile. And get it over with.

W. C. Fields

It very much depends on how you define 'no problems'. It can run on minimum spec, but only with everything turned off, and at a not-superb framerate.

It runs very well on recommended with almost everything enabled, just not next-gen.

For next-gen you need to get pretty close to optimal. Results vary.

ATI cards work just fine, as does pretty much any soundcard. As always with Creative hardware you may need to mess around with hardware accel settings, drivers, etc.

I can't run it w/o stuttering and next gen on at 640x480

w/o next gen, it runs beautifully @ 2560x1600
    Dell 2405FPW / Viewsonic VP912b
    AMD A64 4400+ X2 w/ ZALMAN CNPS9500
    2x EVGA 7900GTX Superclocked
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO 2GB Kit DDR433 XMS3500
    Raptor 74gig x2 raid 0 / xp pro
    SB X-Fi Elite Pro,Logitech® Z-5500 Digital THX
    Antec p180 / Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550

Quote Originally Posted by Jurjen
    It very much depends on how you define 'no problems'. It can run on minimum spec, but only with everything turned off, and at a not-superb framerate.

It runs very well on recommended with almost everything enabled, just not next-gen.

For next-gen you need to get pretty close to optimal. Results vary.

ATI cards work just fine, as does pretty much any soundcard. As always with Creative hardware you may need to mess around with hardware accel settings, drivers, etc.
    At the risk of sounding confrontational, what you say is just not true. Not for everyone at least. Or most, as I strongly suspect. Especially going by what I'm seeing in the complaints department.

I'm having no luck at all getting this game to run well, despite my PC being about half way between the "recommended" and "optimal" specifications.

W. C. Fields

You have trouble getting it to run without next-gen on? I do not believe this is true for most people. What sort of problems are you having?

The same as everyone else: Lara is only controllable some of the time, the rest of the time she is off running around, jumping, running in place and all sorts of other moves not input by me at all at any time. Keyboard commands are often not complied with for upwards of 5 seconds, or even more. I haven't timed it.
    -I've looked at that changing priority thing in the task manager, but it already is set to "normal".
    My vid card is a Radeon 9800 Pro, so I cannot even try to use those "Next Generation" graphics. Yet it is perfectly capable of rendering the game with most of the goodies turned on. -I just use the defaults, with the resolution set the same as my desktop. I can move the camera angle suddenly a full 180 degrees or more, and there is NO slowdown in the framerate at all. My cpu is a P4 2.53 Ghz, so it should be fast enough for the settings I am using.

I am forced to conclude that the game is broken, not my computer.

Oh yeah, I am also getting an annoying wap-wap-wap-wap-wap sound in the background at all times. I guess the game doesn't like my sound card. This I can live with, but I wish I could at least get Lara the h*ll out of Bolivia, so that I could explore the mansion a bit. That's not too much to ask, is it?

W. C. Fields

So it seems you are suffering from compatibility issues, completely unrelated to minimum or recommended spec.

If you send your exact PC with everything you have installed to Eidos maybe they'll be able to fix it

PS. Did you get this same input problem with the demo?

Quote Originally Posted by Glider
    The same as everyone else: Lara is only controllable some of the time, the rest of the time she is off running around, jumping, running in place and all sorts of other moves not input by me at all at any time. Keyboard commands are often not complied with for upwards of 5 seconds, or even more. I haven't timed it.
    -I've looked at that changing priority thing in the task manager, but it already is set to "normal".
    Not sure I've seen anyone else with these problems. I've been lurking here since I purchased this game...
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Maybe my anti virus program thinks Lara is a virus, and tries to kill her by having her throw herself off the closest ledge.

W. C. Fields

I've just played this game from beginning to end without a single problem.
    I haven't come across any of the sound issues a lot of people are having,and i'm using a Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 Platinum so no,you don't need an Audigy to run it.....

CPU is a P4 2.80GHz and a Geforce 6800GT graphics card plus one gig of ram.

I'm really happy with the game and i enjoyed it a lot.

regards,
    dAVE

Quote Originally Posted by dbadds
    I've just played this game from beginning to end without a single problem.
    I haven't come across any of the sound issues a lot of people are having,and i'm using a Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 Platinum so no,you don't need an Audigy to run it.....

CPU is a P4 2.80GHz and a Geforce 6800GT graphics card plus one gig of ram.

I'm really happy with the game and i enjoyed it a lot.

regards,
    dAVE
    Most of us have played through the game, the million dollar question is, "Did you play through it with next gen enabled?"
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

The game looks so much better in normal mode anyway - who wants to play next gen when colors and textures look so cheap and ugly?
    The only annoying thing is sound issues, the rest is okay...

Seems my once high-end computer has now become low-end, even with the upgrades i've installed over the years
    It runs the game, but not problem-free. Slow-downs when-ever there is an on-the-fly loading of an area (complete with stuttering and crackling sound) and slowdowns some other times too.
    None of the controll-issues you describe though. The game is playable.
    Strange thing is that the slow-downs occur in the same amount no matter how low or high I set the settings. With my low-end computer I can have everything turned off or on and it makes no difference. So naturally I play with everything turned on.

Specs:
    P4 2.26 with 768MB rimm800 memory (yes, that expencive old rambus memory)
    Saphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis with latest ATI drivers (seems the game ran slightly smoother with older drivers, I just updated)
    Soundblaster live 1024

So the game can run relatively problem-free on an older computer if you don't mind the little stutters.

Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know what 3DMark06 score is needed to run this with Next Gen enabled?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you need a graphics card with Shader Model 3.0 support to run in Next Gen?

I have an ATI X1400. Runs normal graphics, 1280 X 800 perfect. Everything but AA on. AA only causes slight stutters in scenes with lots of detail.
    Next Gen is a different story! Very low framerate, stutters madly but I'm guessing thats cause the X1400 isn't a gaming card.

So, any thoughts/scores on the 3DMark06? Anyone been able to run next gen without a problem? What was your 3DMark06 score?

Quote Originally Posted by pjkane
    Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know what 3DMark06 score is needed to run this with Next Gen enabled?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you need a graphics card with Shader Model 3.0 support to run in Next Gen?

I have an ATI X1400. Runs normal graphics, 1280 X 800 perfect. Everything but AA on. AA only causes slight stutters in scenes with lots of detail.
    Next Gen is a different story! Very low framerate, stutters madly but I'm guessing thats cause the X1400 isn't a gaming card.

From what I have seen:

Ideal Graphics cards for Normal Play at 1280x1024 with Everything enabled but NG:

Nothing less than a GF 6800 or X800 Pro speed wise for smooth fast frame rates with no shuddering etc. (An X800 Pro is almost twice as fast as the X1600XT in all tests).

NG Graphics with everything turned on.

GF 7800, 7900 series or ATI X1800, X1900 series.

As a side note the X1400, X1600 series cards are NOT gaming cards, they are much slower than the X800 Pro/XL and any of the X850 cards.

So, any thoughts/scores on the 3DMark06? Anyone been able to run next gen without a problem? What was your 3DMark06 score?
    Score doesn't really matter, it's more the Graphics card model that matters.

Yes SM 3.0 is NG in TRL and the card recommendations above will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Glider
    My vid card is a Radeon 9800 Pro, so I cannot even try to use those "Next Generation" graphics. Yet it is perfectly capable of rendering the game with most of the goodies turned on. -I just use the defaults, with the resolution set the same as my desktop. I can move the camera angle suddenly a full 180 degrees or more, and there is NO slowdown in the framerate at all. My cpu is a P4 2.53 Ghz, so it should be fast enough for the settings I am using.

I am forced to conclude that the game is broken, not my computer.

Oh yeah, I am also getting an annoying wap-wap-wap-wap-wap sound in the background at all times. I guess the game doesn't like my sound card. This I can live with, but I wish I could at least get Lara the h*ll out of Bolivia, so that I could explore the mansion a bit. That's not too much to ask, is it?

So your machine specs are:

9800 Pro
    P4 2.53 GHz

OK how much Ram do you have? (At Least a GB is recommended)

You are getting a delay in the controls?

It does sound like your frame rates might be too low really, the 9800 Pro is pretty dated now.

I would recommend something like a X800 Pro/XL or 6800 GT to start with.

Also The game does take up almost 8 GB of HD space so defragging your drive would be good.

You can disable Hardware acceleration on your sound card too.

I played the game on the Following specs with no problems at all.

P4 530J (3.0 GHz), 2 GB of DDR 400, ATI X800 Pro, Onboard Sound.

Here is the Link to the Thread of Troubleshooting and PC specs:

The recommended system requirements are as follows:

CPU:
    Pentium 4 2.0Ghz or Athlon XP Equivalent
    RAM
    512MB
    GRAPHICS:
    100% DirectX 9.0c-compatible 256MB 3D Accelerated Card (Nvidia GeForce 5900 / Ati 9800XT)
    SOUND:
    Microsoft indows 2000/XP compatible sound card (100% DirectX 9.0c -compatible)
    DVD-ROM:
    Eight-speed (8x) DVD-ROM drive or faster
    HARD DRIVE:
    7.12 GB free disk space
    IMO the Ram should be 1024mb (1 GB).

Graphics card should be 256mb GF 6800 / ATI X800 series.

Well, without NextGen on I doubt it will do anything with that extra memory... Same with the GF5... Sure, the 6800 may allow for higher resolutions and FSAA... But you still can very smooth play and graphics on the recommended spec... So I think the current recommended spec is actually pretty accurate.

Well, without NextGen on I doubt it will do anything with that extra memory... Same with the GF5... Sure, the 6800 may allow for higher resolutions and FSAA... But you still can very smooth play and graphics on the recommended spec... So I think the current recommended spec is actually pretty accurate.

That really depends on what Screen Resolution they want to play on.

There is a big difference between playing on 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024.

The Graphics card is everything in todays games, some of the older cards are just not powerful enough to handle the newer games.

Higher Resolutions and FSAA are everything when you are talking about nice graphics and the need to disable them just to play the game should tell you something.

Playable is not good enough really.

Believe me the more Ram you have the better in a gaming machine and the More Graphics memory the better also depending on the card and memory type. Graphics memory should be 256 bit, not 128 bit Ideally.

P4 530J (3.0 GHz), 2 GB of DDR 400, ATI X800 Pro, Onboard Sound.

Well thanks for posting your box's spec's there Jankerson. I guess I can take it that those are more likely the true 'recommended' requirements to play the game without hiccups. The full spec's on my box are as follows:

Dell 8200
    533 FSB, 4X AGP
    2.53 P4
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    1 Gig PC800 RAM

As far as framerates go, I don't think that is the problem at all. As I said I can whip the camera view around really fast without the slightest slowdown at all.
    Yet keyboard commands are (randomly) not obeyed immediately -sometimes it takes quite a while for the game to notice the input. Often some time after Lara has decided to go running off on her own to do her own independent thing, and she is running and jumping around, suddenly the two inputs you made shortly before she took off will be obeyed, then it's back to the random running in place and etc. that she is doing.

As far as following the instructions for the so called "PC First Aid" are concerned, I made it quite clear in my "Bad Advice" thread why I will not fix something that is not broken.

It has only ever been Eidos games that have caused me this much grief. And blindly following their "first aid" advice on my old box got me into to buckets and buckets of trouble with both TR3 and TRLR. And the fix for both games never came from Eidos. It came from someone who figured out what was wrong and posted it here in the forums.

This game IS broken. I meet the minimum to recommended spec.'s and have every right to expect that the game was thoroughly tested before it was released. It should install and run well right out of the box. Especially in these days of superior O/S's like XP. -That it does not is well documented in the many many threads in this forum, many of them speaking of similar problems. The game was not tested enough, and was rushed out the door, the same as earlier releases. AoD being the worst example of that to date. (Has Eidos ever apologized for the fiasco that was AoD? )
    One can always hope that this time for a change a patch that actually works will be published eventually. But as I said in another thread, I'm not going to be holding my breath.

W. C. Fields

You are running into the same problems a lot of people do when they take a games computer specs as gospel.

Most gamers know to have a system that is between Recommended and Ideal (optimal) for good game play as they always understate the PC recommendations for games.

I have seen people have problems with countless games when running at or near min specs or recommended specs on games.

The only thing that is hurting you performance wise is your Graphics card.

Your 9800 Pro is under recommended specs for the game..recommended is a 9800 XT. So again read the first sentence again as it applies to you.

Your CPU and Ram are fine.

So I would just do a start menu cleanup lower the Graphics settings in the game and play.

The game isn't the problem, you have a hardware issue, if you are getting delays in input it is a hardware problem, not a software problem.

Edit:

Just to see I installed Legend on one of my other PC's and it ran fine on that that one too.

Specs:

P4 2.4 GHz (533 FBS)
    1 GB RDRAM
    ATI X800 SE
    SB 5.1
    XP Pro SP2

Glider,

Just posting this for future reference if you want to continue gaming on PC's in the future.

As a gamer sense the late 70's and a PC Technician for over 16 years. (Consulting these days)

When looking at PC Specs on games always look at the Middle to High End recommendations and you PC Specs should be some place in the middle for ideal game play. This way you will have less problems in the future.

NEVER go by Min specs on ANY game because they will barely run and you will have problems.

Just trying to save you some headaches in the future.

I don't believe that's accurate. His impact lag (not a framerate issue) is a common issue that most people are able to fix just fine by forcing the priority of TRL.EXE to "Normal". On many machines it is accidentally set to 'Highest' by Securom. This can cause problems with input drivers.

Even if setting it to Normal does not fix the problem there is probably still a problem where his video drivers in combination with the game do not allow the input drivers to run properly.

Fixes to both the drivers related to input and/or video could possibly fix this.

I still wonder of Glider can run the demo properly, the demo did not use Securom in the same way and as such did not suffer from the problem.

I don't believe that's accurate. His impact lag (not a framerate issue) is a common issue that most people are able to fix just fine by forcing the priority of TRL.EXE to "Normal". On many machines it is accidentally set to 'Highest' by Securom. This can cause problems with input drivers.

Even if setting it to Normal does not fix the problem there is probably still a problem where his video drivers in combination with the game do not allow the input drivers to run properly.

Fixes to both the drivers related to input and/or video could possibly fix this.

I still wonder of Glider can run the demo properly, the demo did not use Securom in the same way and as such did not suffer from the problem.
    I believe they already tried that, that's why they are complaining.

I have seen problems like this so many times over the years I can't count all of them. Usually when the fix involves spending money people just complain it's the game that is the issue when it's their machine that is the real problem.

People do buy games knowing they don't really meet the Ideal specs to run games then complain later about the problems even when a Tech is standing right in front of them telling them what they really need to do.

PC Gaming is not Cheap, you either keep up with the Technolgy or buy a Console.

It is that Simple.

I never tried the demo. Maybe I should go get it and see how I do.

Keeping in mind that the original point of this thread was the question as to what was really needed in a PC to run this game well; I would have to say that my question has been answered: More than what I have got.
    I suspected that already, which was one reason why I asked the question.

I'm wondering what vid card might be the best value for this late 2002 computer. I've drooled over one of these but seeing as my mobo is only 4X AGP, I suspect it is overkill for this box. (Can't afford it anyway. )

I still think that Eidos was far too optimistic in their original specifications for the game, and that future product should be shipped with much steeper requirements printed on the boxes.

W. C. Fields

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast