Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep getting error:Please insert the original instead of a backup(1000)

Unhappy Keep getting error:Please insert the original instead of a backup(1000)

I've just installed this game and keep getting this error...anyone else corrected this problem. Tech Support won't answer their phone. I've updated all my drivers, etc. and sent dxdiag to eidos (no answer there either). Any help would be appreciated and yes I am using the original install disk. Thanks.

Amazingly similar to my experience.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=58731

Unhappy

I had same problem.Loaded game in my dvdwriter/cdwriter drive,got this message. Uninstalled game-loaded in my dvd drive and everything was fine. Maybe if you load game in dvd write drive they think you are automatically using a copy

I hope this does not happen to me... I still need to buy the pc version.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian pat
    I had same problem.Loaded game in my dvdwriter/cdwriter drive,got this message. Uninstalled game-loaded in my dvd drive and everything was fine. Maybe if you load game in dvd write drive they think you are automatically using a copy
    Both my drives are dvdwriter/cdwriters and I don't have a problem.

What DVD/CD software do you have installed?

Thumbs Up

To Slimjime-I have HP with Lightscribe DVD-writer/cd-Writer. Maybe it Lightscribe-do not know. It worked great using my Samsung DVD-ROM. Just wanted to let people who get the invalid disc warning what worked for me

Teac

My drive is a TEAC RW W58E and I have the same problem. It is clear from reading all these forums that there is no solution... A lot of people willl be returning their games...

I Got tHe same problem and i really don't know what it is :S
    But if i try it a few times ore restart my computer it most of the time works...

Does anyone knows what to do against it??

Tomb Raider Legend was running fine on my new PC (Built only in the last week, and recieved TRL free with my new XFX 7900GT). I Have 4 DVD writers in my PC, 2x LG GSA-4167B and 2x Pioneer DVR-110D. Tomb raider would play fine from either drive up until last night when I updated the firmware of all four drives Now comes up with error "Please insert the original disc instead of a backup (%CODE%).". If I click the link to the SecurROM webite the code "%CODE%" doesn't exist :P

I'm gonna instal the 1.2 update, reboot and if no joy, then I'll have to resort to a No-CD patch :P

* Edit: Update and reboot didn't work. Now showing error code "1000"

* Edit: No-CD patch works great

What is No - CD patch???

Quote Originally Posted by Niek_Basher
    What is No - CD patch???
    Tell me you're joking?

just tell me plz??

No CD-patch noun (plural No CD-patches):
    Contraption, the confabulation of which contravenes the Eidos Community Terms of Use. Ensuing chastisement: Catherine wheel or voluntarily memorizing and publicly reciting verbatim et literatim Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum.

Sorry Niek_Basher, sometimes hard to read if someone's being sarcastic on forums

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar
    No CD-patch noun (plural No CD-patches):
    Contraption, the confabulation of which contravenes the Eidos Community Terms of Use. Ensuing chastisement: Catherine wheel or voluntarily memorizing and publicly reciting verbatim et literatim Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum.
    In English: A little patch that enables you to play the game without having to have the CD inserted.

The legality is debatable. As I see it, using a no-cd patch on a game that I legally own is fine... better than a copy protection thats buggy and keeps me from playing a game that I own as is this case. If the SecuROM protection was working properly as it should, I wouldn't have to use the patch

As my new PC is just over a week old, I was playing TRL with now problem up until I updated the DVD drives firmware.... I'm 100% certain that is the only change to the system. I don't run any dodgy softare like Daemon tools, Alcohol or virtual CD etc...

Maybe SecuROM looks at the state of the DVD drive firmware on install and won't activate a game if that state changes necessitating a reinstall of the game on each firmware update? .. bugger that!

Quote Originally Posted by Sack
    The legality is debatable.
    Wrong. There's nothing to debate about the legalibility of such a patch. It's a modification of a copyrighted material. The use of it, as is, is the use of an illegal product. So we have to stop excusing ourself on this. It's our decision to use such a patch, but we have to accept the fact that we are using an illegal product. Kind of buying stolen goods.
    "To paint comic books as childish and illiterate is lazy. A lot of comic books are very literate - unlike most films." - Alan Moore
    http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7...mersig32sp.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness_65
    Wrong. There's nothing to debate about the legalibility of such a patch. It's a modification of a copyrighted material. The use of it, as is, is the use of an illegal product. So we have to stop excusing ourself on this. It's our decision to use such a patch, but we have to accept the fact that we are using an illegal product.
    What is the legality of using a 'protection' that prevents a user from using software that they own? A patch from Edios would have been more desirable for sure, I tiried patch 1.2... I even followed SecuROMs own instructions to fix the problem with no success.

Is my option then to say 'Goodbye' to playing TRL and tuff luck on my part?

It's a modification of a copyrighted material.
    Technically, that makes all mods, skins etc illegal too.

Kind of buying stolen goods.
    If I had 'STOLE' the game, fair enough, but my games are legit.... this is the only game I have to run a No-CD patch on.... all my other games like COD2, FEAR, DOOM3, Farcry etc run fine with CD inserted.

Now I'm getting a bit peed off! It looks as though FEAR uses SecuROM and now doesn't want to start, giving me a 'CD can't be found' error. First time I've tried to run the game after updating my drives firmware.

How the hell does drive firmware affect this? I could perhaps understand a single drive, but not two different DVD writers (Models and manufacturers)

Where can a get the no-cd patch???
    O and i agree with you sack...
    If you just don't give your cd to someone else and just use it for your own it isn't illigal...

My intent is not to steal a game, just run one that I own. I doubt anyone that's serious about it ain't gonna lose any sleep over it.

In my many years in IT, often the act of circumventing the problem (especially where deadlines are present) leads you to finding the cause of the problem. It is obviously not a TRL problem, but a problem with the SecuROM system as FEAR is also affected in the same way. The 'Copy protection' is clearly not working as I'm not using a copied disk. Rather than casting stones, help in this problem would be appreciated. If I can get TRL and SecuROM to work, I will not need a no-cd patch.

BTW... I Reinstalled FEAR and it still didn't run. I then put the CD in another drive and the game ran no problem. I then put the CD back in the original drive and it ran no problem.... freakin wierd if you ask me .... anyhoo, I'm gonna try and reinstall TRL, but if I have to reinstall all games that use SecuROM every time I update some firmware... what a pain in the arse :P
    Opteron 175 Dual Core | Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe (Bios: 1103) | Mushkin Extreme Performance REDLINE 2GB DDR500 | 1 x XFX 7900GT Extreme | 1 x 150GB Raptor (boot/system) | 2 x 300GB SATA (16mb Cache/Raid-1) | 2x LG GSA-4167B (Firmware: DL13) | 2x Pioneer DVR-110D (Firmware: 1.41) | Silverstone Strider 600W modular PSU | Auroroa 3D case

Rather than casting stones, help in this problem would be appreciated.
    I'm sorry if you felt that way. That was not my intention. But we need to read The Rules.
    "To paint comic books as childish and illiterate is lazy. A lot of comic books are very literate - unlike most films." - Alan Moore

No worries mate

I have read the rules (specifically rule #2) and it is pushing it... getting around a copy protection is one thing though, getting around a 'protection' that stops you playing an authentic CD/DVD which it's not designed to do is another.

I'm keen to find a solution as I hate using No-CD patches for obvious reasons (legality, viruses/spyware, online play etc.). I'm trying to find on the net if drive firmware updates affect SecuROM installed games and I'm gonna re-install TRL when I get home from work.
    Opteron 175 Dual Core | Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe (Bios: 1103) | Mushkin Extreme Performance REDLINE 2GB DDR500 | 1 x XFX 7900GT Extreme | 1 x 150GB Raptor (boot/system) | 2 x 300GB SATA (16mb Cache/Raid-1) | 2x LG GSA-4167B (Firmware: DL13) | 2x Pioneer DVR-110D (Firmware: 1.41) | Silverstone Strider 600W modular PSU | Auroroa 3D case

Looks like Diablo II & Lord of Destruction is using SecuROM and on the support page:
    Are you receiving a message saying: "Please insert play disc" (when trying to start the game)?
    It lists the following solutions to try.. I have not tested any yet:

Step 6
    DMA and Sync data transfer:
    Try enabling or disabling the CD-ROM settings for Sync Data Transfer, DMA, and Auto-Insert Notification. For more information on enabling/disabling CD-ROM setting, check our SecuROM Sync Data Transfer page.

Step 8
    Log in with administrative rights and enable ACPI in the bios: (Windows 2000 users)
    Make sure you are logged on with administrative rights and that ACPI is enabled in the BIOS.

Step 10
    Install the latest firmware update for your CD-ROM drive:
    Contact your CD-ROM drive manufacturer to make sure you have the latest firmware update installed.

Step 11
    CD-Rom drive letter:
    Force the Reserve Drive letter assignment of your CD-ROM to match the current drive letter assignment of your CD-ROM. For more information on how to change the drive letter assignment of the CD-ROM, check our SecuROM Drive Letter.
    SWAT4 and HL2 have similar fixes suggested including:

Windows XP/2000

Right-click on the My Computer icon and select Properties.
    Click the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
    Go down the list and find IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    Double-click on Primary IDE Channel.
    Click the Advanced Settings tab.
    From the Transfer Mode drop Down menu, select
    DMA if available and click OK.
    If DMA is already selected Select PIO.
    Repeat steps 4-6 for the Secondary IDE Channel.

Note: If changing these settings does not resolve the problem you may want to set them back to their original settings.

Run a search for "securom" on the main page of this technical forum. I'm sure reading somewhere about this problem, and some solutions, even by Securom Support. Sometimes they sent a new TRL.EXE, I think. Good luck.

I'm keen to find a solution as I hate using No-CD patches for obvious reasons (legality, viruses/spyware, online play etc.). I'm trying to find on the net if drive firmware updates affect SecuROM installed games and I'm gonna re-install TRL when I get home from work.
    You might try sending an email to support@securom.com. I have been having problems trying to run the game since Friday, and I've been very impressed with their level of support. They can't do everything, but they can likely help you with what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Monica21
    You might try sending an email to support@securom.com. I have been having problems trying to run the game since Friday, and I've been very impressed with their level of support. They can't do everything, but they can likely help you with what's going on.
    Yeah sweet... will give it all a bash tonight, and if all else fails, contact securom support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast