Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My TRL Review: The Best Tomb Raider Yet!

Thumbs Up My TRL Review: The Best Tomb Raider Yet!

I love Tomb Raider Legend. It is my favorite Tomb Raider game, and I've played all of them except AoD. From the moment I saw the title screen with Lara standing there, and the dramatically sweeping epic music, I knew it would be something special!

While it's not perfect, for example, its length leaves a litle to be desired, it is absolutely a solid game and worthy of any action-adventure game fan's collection.

Let's get the bad out of the way first. Tomb Raider Legend is quite short. With approximately 7 levels, none of which are particularly long, you'll find the game lasting you somewhere between 6 and 10 hours on your first play through. That is not counting the Croft Mansion, which acts as sort of a standalone scavenger hunt. Also, Lara's original backstory seems to have been tossed out the window and is now replaced with a new one, which is sitll OK, but not as inspired or inspiring as the original.

Now on to the positives – Legend is the best controlling Tomb Raider game ever. While the old, rigid, grid based movement scheme was suitable in 1996, in 2006 it could never fly. Crystal Dynamics has made controlling Lara very fun. She moves responsively and believably, no longer confined to the grid as in the past. Essentially, the controls match up to any excellently controlling modern action-adventure game like the Prince of Persia series. Lara's also got some new moves, such as swinging off horizontal poles like in Prince of Persia, and shimmy quickly along ledges. There are even a few undocumented moves like flips and backbends that serve no practical function but provide nice little Easter eggs when you discover them.

Combat is relatively simple, but fun. It utilizes a lock-on system similar to the old Tomb Raider games, though weapons now all have a range and you can only carry 1 additional weapon aside from your standard pistols. Weapons and ammo are picked up from defeated enemies (the pistols still have infinite ammo, but now have a clip that needs to be reloaded). New combat moves include the ability to kick and slide-tackle enemies as well as an over the head flip that puts Lara into a sort of bullet time that gives you extra time to get some shots off.

Legend is very focused, and it's always focused on making sure you're doing something cool or fun at any given moment, never leaving you stuck for too long by making everything you need in proximity with each other. There's a certain convenience to that, but it does make the game linear and easy. I hope for the future that they can strike a balance between the old almost completely open ended areas that would leave you stumped for hours and the new to allow us to keep our focus on "fun" but ratchet up the difficulty of the puzzles a bit and give us more exploration.

While it's a little short and a tad on the easy side, Tomb Raider Legend is still a very good game. For the first time ever, I actually want to replay the game to find all the secrets and beat the time trials. Tomb Raider Legend is definitely worth playing and a bold step in the right direction for the Tomb Raider series.

So, if anyone from Eidos or Crystal Dynamics visits this place, I want to say thank you for bringing us the best Tomb Raider to date!

Eidos and CD, ignore all the above, they werent playing the same game as a majority of us disagree. it was waaaaaaaaayyyy too easy. a game for a 3rd grader to play. easy puzzles, 2 annoying guys in your ear telling you exactly what to do the whole time, shiny objects to point out what to move and such, this game treated us like a kid that had never heard of TR before. it needed huge levels like the sphinx and venice, it needed longer and harder puzzles, heck she didnt even fall when u took your thumb off of the button. she always caught everything, looked where the clues were..it was a bad game all the way around, i am going to buy TR2 again today so i can see what a real TR game is all about,,,please CD dont ever ever design another TR game stick to Kain....

Quote Originally Posted by thoran6
    Eidos and CD, ignore all the above, they werent playing the same game as a majority of us disagree. it was waaaaaaaaayyyy too easy. a game for a 3rd grader to play. easy puzzles, 2 annoying guys in your ear telling you exactly what to do the whole time, shiny objects to point out what to move and such, this game treated us like a kid that had never heard of TR before. it needed huge levels like the sphinx and venice, it needed longer and harder puzzles, heck she didnt even fall when u took your thumb off of the button. she always caught everything, looked where the clues were..it was a bad game all the way around, i am going to buy TR2 again today so i can see what a real TR game is all about,,,please CD dont ever ever design another TR game stick to Kain....
    I don't think that this is a fair assesment, especially since it come from someone with the grammatical and spelling skills of a child...By the way thoran6, the majority would actually disagree with you...

Anyways Eidos and Crystal Dynamics, I thought that this was a great game. Albeit was not as expansive, time-consuming, enigmatic, or revolutionary as some of the previous Tomb Raider games, but this game definitely was far and above the quality of the last Tomb Raider, Angel of Darkness. The graphics also made this game eye candy, and as most people find that graphics can make or break a game almost as much as content this was a definate plus. Furthermore, despite the few flaws, I would like to agree with Goilon that this is one of the best, if not the best, Tomb Raider games to date.

well i just turned 40 last week and remember standing in line to buy the first TR. it was huge, 3 of legend's levels could fit into 1 of TR's..there was no auto grab, believe it or not there once was a time when you actually missed a ledge and fell..you used to be able to carry more than one weapon and combine items to make a key or such, there were more than 3 health packs in 2 different sizes, there were animals and gators and sharks. there were long hard puzzles and great cut scenes, i could go on and on, just go back and play 1 level of TR1 or 2 and then tell me that legends is still the best ever....and besides nothing was spelled wrong by the way...anyhow, MOST of the post are complaining about how short it was or auto grab or something...i would take angel of darkness anyday over legends...

by the this is how you spell definite, there is no a

by the this is how you spell definite, there is no a
    Yeah and you forgot to use the word 'way' to properly link your sentence together, so you're a fool.

Go away. Legend is a great game and Crystal Dynamics doesn't need your misguided criticism, when this game is far and beyond any TR game released since TR2.

This is what TR3 should have been.

lol, to this whole thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Straw Dog
    lol, to this whole thread.
    I agree with your statement right there.

Would it be too much to ask mods to warn/ban these people, when they come in and purposely crap on Crystal Dynamics or try to ruin the mood of a thread? It's really starting to get on my (and 50% of this entire forum's) nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowOfOblivion

Would it be too much to ask mods to warn/ban these people, when they come in and purposely crap on Crystal Dynamics or try to ruin the mood of a thread? It's really starting to get on my (and 50% of this entire forum's) nerves.
    Oopsy, better get your flame resistant coat on quick mate, I sense the words 'freedom of speech' heading rapidly this way, like a swarm of angry wasps... bzzzzzzzzzzz

Straw dog runs...........

well i just turned 40 last week and remember standing in line to buy the first TR. it was huge, 3 of legend's levels could fit into 1 of TR's..there was no auto grab, believe it or not there once was a time when you actually missed a ledge and fell..you used to be able to carry more than one weapon and combine items to make a key or such, there were more than 3 health packs in 2 different sizes, there were animals and gators and sharks. there were long hard puzzles and great cut scenes, i could go on and on, just go back and play 1 level of TR1 or 2 and then tell me that legends is still the best ever....and besides nothing was spelled wrong by the way...anyhow, MOST of the post are complaining about how short it was or auto grab or something...i would take angel of darkness anyday over legends...
    Although, I don't agree with you competely, as I think TRL was the best tomb raider game i've played yet, I think the levels could be longer, but this is what bugged me most, there are only like two things to shoot, people and tigers. I miss the sharks, and raptors from TR3, the monkeys, rats, super natural things. Hopefully the next one will have all that. I also miss searching for ammo, and weapons, and collecting them all, instead of just having 2 guns. But over all, the voice acting, and story, as well as controls and graphics, put this game over the top of the old ones, and it's like x5 better then AOD (worst in the series if you ask me) It was a bit easy, but maybe they'll read all this and take our complaints into accont, and combine them with the strengeths in legend, and make a really good number 8

Wow you must have not been playing TRL then...I mean how could you have?

1. If you miss a jump or a ledge in the game a take a big fall you die just like in any other Tomb Raider game.
    2. Carrying a half dozen weapons in any Tomb Raider game is extremely unrealistic and I appluade the developers for adding some realism by making it so you coul only carry one other weapon.
    3. Health packs are unrealistic anyways so why are you complaining? In my opinion there really should be no health packs, I mean a person can only take so many hits in real life...But because it is a game I will conceed the need for them and I think that it was very well done in TRL.
    4. Tomb Raider Legends has the best cut scenes so far.
    5. You get to kill animals, people, and monsters in this one just like in any other Tomb Raider, there is just less variety.
    6. You cannot type anything except enigmatic garbage, as you absolutely butcher the grammar of the English language when you type. Therefore I conclude that you are a fool, and the fact that you would choose AOD over TRL confirms this. AOD had a complete set of assinine controls for the computer, at least TRL used a standard shooter configuration with seamless movement.

Given this game has less content and length than previous Tomb Raider games, but that is its only flaw, and I personally believe that the rest of the game is so well done that it more than makes up for it...

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowOfOblivion

i agree said the same thing myself, got flamed to hell for it, but it needs saying, it is NOT the view of the majority, and these constant threads, of theirs, not to mention the threadjacking of the more positive threads like this, all by the same members for the most part, is seriosuly irritiating. it does nothing more than drives the people who loved TRL, away to other forums, or just of line altogether to play some more. it does not encourage peopel to share, lovingly their experiences.

keep the positive reviews coming, and maybe realism, will take over once more.

beccaxx

take my AOD please

if AOD had looked and been as fluid as TRL it would have been an amazing game! But instead it was a hot buggy mess. Now a) I don't know why people flame Core, who did an excellent job with the first 6 games IMO and were only trying to upgrade and do what was actually achieved in TRL with motion. I applaud Core for giving us TR in the first place! b) quit beefin' ove a dayum video game. It was sickening with AOD and is sickening now. State your opinion in a logical way and move on!!

last time i checked this was the TR forum, if you are looking for the english/grammar forum you are in the wrong place.

i was trying to say that alot of people are complaining, and here is one:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=58424

i have only fallen once due to the autograb, there should be an option to turn it off

i cant see how you dont miss the long jumps and holding down the proper buttons to grab and all the weapons and just the whole aspect of the previous games.

yes some of the changes are great, but overall it is a mess. not what i thought it would be at all.

i wished i could have phrased it like King dmb, but it too late now.
    anyhow i am going to read my kid's english book so as not too offend any of the people who analyze each letter....

I thought I had stated my opinions in a logical and coherent way. It's disappointing to see the trolls hop in to flame away. I should have donned my flame retardant suit first.

This is merely my opinion of the game. I enjoyed it very much, and I've been a Tomb Raider fan since the first game. I even drove an hour to a Gamestop that was the only store around that had the game in-stock for PC. I'm sorry if you didn't like the game, but I love it and hope that Crystal Dynamics and Eidos build upon it for the future.

Well I don't mind any opnions at all actually yet interested to see. One for sure, everyone says, WAY too short....well, this is Crystal Dynamics chance to make a sort of a DIRECTORS CUT of Tomb Raider Legend for the PS3 their BIG chance.

It's ok to express your dislikes about the game but you don't have to act like a whiny *. People will like or hate the game for whatever reason and I think some of ya'll need to learn to respect other's opinions and keep it moving.

Ok... the game isn't long enough. I think even the developers know that the game wasn't that long of a game. I give major props to the developers for breathing life back into a series that was damn near DEAD! To sit here and whine and complain about it not being a true TR game... THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER TOMB RAIDER LIKE TOMB RAIDER 1! Just face it. They could have easily stretched this game out by adding levers and doors and da da da but IMO, they seem to have taken the straightforward approach as far as how the story unfolds, which is fine. How long did you really want to be in Tokyo(?) climbing up buildings and fighter the chinese mob?! Yea, they could have had her walking the streets. whatever. They didn't.

Im sure they'll do whatever it is to try to please everyone next time. WHo knows, maybe Legend was short because they have something bigger and better planned for the next TR game when PS3 and XBOX360 beginning to replace XBOX and PS2.
    TombRaider Fan since 1997...? or 96? Whenever TR 1 came out.

Quote Originally Posted by sheighton
    Wow you must have not been playing TRL then...I mean how could you have?

1. If you miss a jump or a ledge in the game a take a big fall you die just like in any other Tomb Raider game.
    2. Carrying a half dozen weapons in any Tomb Raider game is extremely unrealistic and I appluade the developers for adding some realism by making it so you coul only carry one other weapon.
    3. Health packs are unrealistic anyways so why are you complaining? In my opinion there really should be no health packs, I mean a person can only take so many hits in real life...But because it is a game I will conceed the need for them and I think that it was very well done in TRL.
    4. Tomb Raider Legends has the best cut scenes so far.
    5. You get to kill animals, people, and monsters in this one just like in any other Tomb Raider, there is just less variety.
    6. You cannot type anything except enigmatic garbage, as you absolutely butcher the grammar of the English language when you type. Therefore I conclude that you are a fool, and the fact that you would choose AOD over TRL confirms this. AOD had a complete set of assinine controls for the computer, at least TRL used a standard shooter configuration with seamless movement.

Given this game has less content and length than previous Tomb Raider games, but that is its only flaw, and I personally believe that the rest of the game is so well done that it more than makes up for it...
    I agree with everything you're saying about TRL being the best TR game ever because it is. And you seriously have no idea how hard I laughed at part where you said "You're a fool, and the fact that you would choose AOD over Legend proves that" It's so true - WOW you're hilarious.

it seems like the original poster found more negatives in the part he said were positives.it's no wonder why.though i'm just in the peru level i aint too happy with this game at all so far.it seems like it's mostly a 3rd person shooter now.the levels are linear as hell.towards the end of bolivia it seems it's kicking me from one cutscene to the next every few yards with shooting a few missionaries in between.then the start of the peru(without chasing any secrets)you run through to yet another cut scene , shoot yet a few more mercinaries.the camera is always floating to the side of lara or in front facing her or something.even though the graphics are good the color seems dull and dark and plain.sometimes it's hard to tell which way you can go.but , mostly there is only one way to go anyway.its funny that eidos said they were going back to the old tr's when actually it's not even close.they touted the new engine but there's not anything extra that you can do.the other trs were much more complex levels and much more fullfilling ,to me anyways.especially with all the tech problems it looks like a company putting out thier first game.the only thing i like about this game is the movement and controls though i'm sure there will be some good moments,if i play the rest of the game.i noticed that nividia has been sticking thier face in all the newer big games and you better run out and spend big money on a top line nividia card or the game performance will probably kill the game for you anyway.
    razmatrazmat

Quote Originally Posted by RAZMAT
    ...shooting a few missionaries...shoot yet a few more mercinaries...
    God what is wrong with you?!? You are shooting MISSIONARIES?!? Those poor good Christians trying to lend their fellow man a hand...What did they ever do to you? Shooting mercenaries on the other hand, that is a big part of this game...Anyways play the rest of the game, you will probably think more highly of it by the time you are done. And oh yeah, by the way, use your PLS more often if you think that areas are too dark. Frankly, though not the best, this game is one of the better games to come out recently when it comes to graphics and lighting, and in my opinion that is one of the things that makes up for some of the lacking content...Hey ya' gotta have da' eye candy, baby!

i was on another place and at least 80%of the people had a huge amount of negative things to say about legend.i agree and am already looking for a new game without finishing legend.
    razmatrazmat

Quote Originally Posted by RAZMAT
    i was on another place and at least 80%of the people had a huge amount of negative things to say about legend.i agree and am already looking for a new game without finishing legend.
    Hey at least it is a HUGE step foward from AOD...The future looks promising...

The thing you have to take into account though is that Legend is probably the current best single person shooter on the market at the moment...Good luck trying to find another game. I would recommend Oblivion or Guild Wars: Factions...

It really is too bad that you did not like a game that so many of us love...

last time i checked this was the TR forum, if you are looking for the english/grammar forum you are in the wrong place.

i was trying to say that alot of people are complaining, and here is one:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=58424

i have only fallen once due to the autograb, there should be an option to turn it off

i cant see how you dont miss the long jumps and holding down the proper buttons to grab and all the weapons and just the whole aspect of the previous games.

yes some of the changes are great, but overall it is a mess. not what i thought it would be at all.

i wished i could have phrased it like King dmb, but it too late now.
    anyhow i am going to read my kid's english book so as not too offend any of the people who analyze each letter....
    You're right, this is not an English grammar forum.
    Nevertheless, being 40 years old, you should know that people judge you (and your credibility) based on the quality of your writing.
    You don't have to be Shakespeare, but not capitalizing your I's and using 'u' instead of spelling out 'you' just makes you look stupid and draws attention away from your argument.
    If you want to be viewed as an intelligent adult, you should try to communicate like one.

Another problem with your post is your condescending tone. If you want to voice your complaints and suggestions go right ahead. But why do you feel the need to put the developers down by saying that they should never make another Tomb Raider again? That was a totally unnecessary and unhelpful remark.

By the way, I agree with you that the puzzles are pretty easy compared to the older TR games. I also agree that the game should have been much longer. However, I still had a lot of fun playing it. And that's all that really matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TRFan
    I give major props to the developers for breathing life back into a series that was damn near DEAD! To sit here and whine and complain about it not being a true TR game... THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER TOMB RAIDER LIKE TOMB RAIDER 1! Just face it. They could have easily stretched this game out by adding levers and doors and da da da but IMO, they seem to have taken the straightforward approach as far as how the story unfolds, which is fine. How long did you really want to be in Tokyo(?) climbing up buildings and fighter the chinese mob?! Yea, they could have had her walking the streets. whatever.

Never another like TR1 - ah that breaks my heart But exactly on target, could have had her asking a Tokyo prostitute for game hints but someone or several people or perhaps the entire Crystal D team had the basic common sense NOT to do something so silly and well, horrifically embarrassing! And fans were complaining that TR had become the same old find the levers, keys, push blocks and backtrack to the beginning, so CD made this game more linear with fewer levers, keys, pushing blocks and backtracking, but now we complain we want them back.... well its their first try and big congrats to them, overall a huge step forward IMO
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...hoto/fugly.gif
    ~Kudos to Crystal Dynamics for resurrecting a seemingly dead franchise, and Eidos for relieving Core of the duty~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast