Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: They did what?!?!

  1. #1

    Rolleyes They did what?!?!

    In the manual:

    At the age of nine, Lara survived a plane crash in the Himalayan mountains that led to the death of her mother.

    Is this true? I don't remember hearing that her mother died.

    ...under the close tutelage of her archeologist father - the late Earl of Abbingdon, Richard Croft.

    Excuse me?!?! Who's this Richard Croft? In the Official Tomb Raider files it says:

    As the daughter of Lord and Lady Henshingley-Croft

    They changed the name??? This is just as bad as the Tomb Raider movies. (They didn't even get Winston's name right)

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Tomb_Raider


    As the daughter of Lord and Lady Henshingley-Croft

    Henshingley is probablly the name of her mother who died.

  3. #3
    But did her mother actually die? I can't find reference to it anywhere. I've just installed Legend and only ran around her house for about 5 minutes. So apparently Lara moved and we weren't told.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25
    Yeah, the fact that they changed Lara's backstory is the only thing I don't really like about this game. This seems to be a result of influence from the movies ( * cry* ), the same way that her mansion has essentially become the movie mansion. I liked the old back story and mansion so much better.

  5. #5
    Um in Tomb raider legend you will find out what happened to the mom, thats all I can say

  6. #6
    Someone on my forums made an interesting point. In TR5 when Lara's friends are gathering because they think she's dead, it would appear her mother *was* there.

  7. #7

    Question

    I have no clue what this thread is about.

  8. #8
    It's about how they changed Lara's history, and her house.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by GoranAgar
    I have no clue what this thread is about.
    Some people are upset because they miss the name Hensingley. It IS very traumatic, ya know.
    This signature has been banned by the department of health.

  10. #10
    I appreciate sarcasm, but when new developers take over and decide they can change her history it upsets me. And I know I'm not the only one bothered by it.

  11. #11
    You can always start a petition.

    How do you like the rest of the game? Or are you refusing to play because some of her background story has been adapted?

  12. #12
    I'm not saying I don't like the game. I've only played up to where the demo left off. But I need to get a new video card before continuing on...

    In any case I was just voicing my opinion on one of their decisions.

  13. #13

    Cool

    Why people always seem to concentrate on the negative things in life is beyond me.

    Good luck with the new graphic card.

  14. #14
    Agreed, GA.

  15. #15
    I'm also very unhappy with the new bio. Why? Because I see it as a significant change to who Lara is...Mummy and Daddy's girl, following in Daddy's footsteps instead of being forced to leave her upbringing behind and strike out alone. Change that, and you have a different character.

    Also, it's obviously been done to tie in to the movies (as have many things with the game-the redesigned mansion, the tech team, the greater emphasis on gadgets) The movies were OK as a couple of hours mindless entertainment, as TR spin-offs, but to take them as canon is pushing it IMO.

    Some people don't mind this, which is perfectly fair. But it's also quite legitimate that others of us feel they've gone too far with the reinvention of Lara and her world, because it doesn't feel like authentic TR. Ironic, isn't it-that was a complaint many people threw at AoD, but whereas AoD was the logical continuation of the TLR story, Legend is an entirely new animal.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Ironic, isn't it-that was a complaint many people threw at AoD, but whereas AoD was the logical continuation of the TLR story, Legend is an entirely new animal.
    Actually, AOD's inconsistancies bothered me more than this. I think it's because we actually played and saw what happened in TLR, and then AOD contradicted it somewhat. On the other hand, the backstory included in the TR manual had no real impact on the game play. I can guarantee there are tons of people who played and thoroughly enjoyed all of the TR series and never knew anything about Lara's parents simply because we never saw them on screen, and they played no part in the games' plots. Yes, they could have left the name Henshingley instead of changing it to Richard, but realistically, there are probably more people who know her father as Richard, so I can understand the change, and again, it doesn't affect the gameplay at all. As for changing some of the plot details about her childhood-- I'm not sure. Maybe CD felt they needed to take some liberties with it in order to make their story work, and since Lara's childhood plot never factored into any of the previous games, they probably felt safe in altering it a bit.
    Anyway, not saying any of you are wrong for being bothered by the changes, I'm just saying why they don't really bother me (well, mainly they don't bother me because I have bigger things in life to be bothered about than Lara's backstory, but that's beside the point....)
    This signature has been banned by the department of health.

  17. #17
    1. They did not really change Lara's house...Know why? She has three...This is just one of those three...

    2. They did not change her parent's names...Her fther was always Richard Croft. Lara's mother's maiden name was Henshingly, thus the Henshingly-Croft.

    3. As far as my memory serves me, Lara's mother died, then her father. Leaving Lara as you find her today, living alone in three mansion estates.

    4. Crystal Dynamics 'changed' her childhood background. Big deal! It was never really set in stone to begin with. Personally I think that they did us a favor, because they did not really 'change' her background, rahter they gave us more information.

  18. #18
    I dont mind the changes at all, I hadnt actually realised Lara's parents were still alive in the original, I mean i must of read the manual at one point and it does say that she was 21 (or was it 18) when she was in a plane crash, survived for a week or whatever and loved it, her parents abandoned her and so on. But i had somehow always thought that her parents had died in the crash, thus leaving her all the money/houses and thats how she could fund her 1st expeditions etc.

    I'm not bothered at all about the changes, I would like to see the original mansion again tho, just for nostalgia's sake, at the start of TR1 the mansion has boxes in the hall, Lara telling us she was having things put into storage, my dream would of been for Zip to die and have her packing up all his comps and glass walls hehe

  19. #19

    Wink Henshingly is mothers maiden name.

    Lara's dear mater is not dead,she is missing and according to Anaya she is in Avalon a mythical place that the knights of the round table went to when they died,hopefully this will be resolved in Tombraider VIII.

  20. #20


    beccaxx

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    212
    if you have a product and you are trying to reach and satisfy different types of consumers in this case long term fans (many of whom were disappointed by a few previous installments), new fans who may have never played the game, people who saw the movies and may not have necessarily played the games...many different types to reach. I find the story change consistent with the way they are trying to go with nuLara and necessary to the ahem, sequels!

    She was not going to stay the same, folk. This is nuLara.

    I kinda like her!

  22. #22
    And the mansion is only one of many. You already know the layout of the other mansion (if you've played previous TRs). So, why would you want the same mansion that you have already explored? Really, where's the fun in that?

    There is nothing wrong with the story either... well, there could of have been more drama. Where was the remorse of losing her mother? She simply got angry. A child would have been more devistated by such an event, even Lara. Go ahead, Lara, have yourself a nice cry.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpcams
    Lara's dear mater is not dead,she is missing and according to Anaya she is in Avalon a mythical place that the knights of the round table went to when they died,hopefully this will be resolved in Tombraider VIII.
    My fracking God! You just ruined the storyline for anyone who has not finished the game yet! LOL, Well it doesn't really matter...It is actually a really good cliffhanger for Crystal Dynamics to build off of for the next Tomb Raider.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Tomb_Raider
    But did her mother actually die? I can't find reference to it anywhere. I've just installed Legend and only ran around her house for about 5 minutes. So apparently Lara moved and we weren't told.
    find out at the end of the game and laa has 3 houses but only one home it says that on th pda

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •