Thread: Ati X800 pro

Ati X800 pro

Been searching through the forums for posts about the nex gen option. Upon installing the game a screen comes up with two screenshots from the game, one with nex gen on and one with nex gen off saying that the nex gen supports pixel shader 2.0 and 3.0. I have an ati x800 pro and full retail game but the nex gen option is greyed out. Can i enable it or does it work only with nvidia cards. And if so why does it say upon install that pixel shader 2.0 is supported? Thank you.

Heh I used to have an x800 pro......well anyways, next gen will not work with that card, it only supports SM 3.0...not 2.0 as previously stated.

Hmm I think they CD just LOVE Nvidia. Well because I can with my 7800 in the REG turn off shader 3.0 and just use 2.0 and still use Next Gen. There are just a few things that are not as shiny and thats it. Why can I with a NV do that but with I try it on my x800 it makes the setup popup. Forces next gen off.

What i dont understand is if they only support ps 3.0 then why upon installing the game a screen pops up saying that it supports ps 2.0 and ps 3.0 What gibs? it just aint right beeing so sloppy and unconsernig for the paying customer.
    So am i to understand that there is no way in hell to turn on new gen graphics with my ati radeon x800 pro?

Quote Originally Posted by laskos12
    What i dont understand is if they only support ps 3.0 then why upon installing the game a screen pops up saying that it supports ps 2.0 and ps 3.0 What gibs? it just aint right beeing so sloppy and unconsernig for the paying customer.
    So am i to understand that there is no way in hell to turn on new gen graphics with my ati radeon x800 pro?
    Its not really down to sloppy coding - Its down to hardware support. Back when the Geforce 6800 first appeared, ATi was too busy saying 'You don't need SM3.0 support' when they released the x800 series radeons.

Back then you could argue that ATi where correct to say this but fast forward a year or so on, more and more games are coming out that support SM3.0 leaving X800 owners out in the cold.

If you really want to run legends in full eye candy mode, then you'll have to fork out for a Geforce 6/7 series card or a newer model Radeon that fully supports SM3.0.

Upgrading is out of the question now. I found my agp x800 pro at a bargain price 7 months ago have overclocked the hell out of it and with my o/ced sempron 3000 and 1,5gb ram, (plus a nice sb audigy 2) i had fear at 1280x1024 with all options at maximum and 2xAA running at 36fps average. That aint bad. I'm not changing platform (m/b cpu ram vga) until vista comes out. Guess until there is a patch or someone finds a way to turn on nex gen graphics with ps 2.0 cards really really soon i'll finish legend like this.

Don't be in a rush to get the nextgen option running.
    At the moment it still runs too slowly to play properly.

See my system specs in my sig file. NextGen mode is ok once an area has been stuttered around a few times, it becomes smooth, but the second you move to an unseen area, it chugs again.

The main failing is that it doesn't support multiple GPUs (SLI mode).
    What is the point of them advertsising nVidia at the start with all the "the way it's meant to be played" logos, when it won't even use nVidias top method for running games.

Other games I *can* run fine with 16x AA and 16x Anisotropic filtering.
    TRL is still only using one gfx card though.

Patch please!!!!
    PC Specifications:
    AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-60 Dual Core
    256MB nVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX (x2 in SLI)
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Motherboard
    2048MB DDR400 Memory - PC3200
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme

At the moment it still runs too slowly to play properly.
    Yes and no: frame rate is OK, it's the stuttering on turning that's the problem. I played through Bolivia last night in 'next gen' mode collecting the remaining secrets, and it was playable... the most obvious stutter was in the cut-scene where the bad guys turn up, which would freeze for up to two seconds whenever it cut from one angle to another.

If they can sort out the freezing it will be fine, at least at lower resolutions (I was playing at 1152x864 on a 7800GS).

Yeah that freezing part its like its loading yet its not. Then you think well maybe just to much for my card but then you go to the same spot and its fast.

I also have the X800 in my other computer and for them to say its a shader 3.0 only is not true. I can only hope they fix that.

yea the slowing when you get attacked is deadly, i mean, you get killed. are people expirencing total freezing??? ive stopped playing the game at the minute cause i want to play it full graphics (ive only just upgraqded my GPU and dont wanna be playing at the level of my old one)

any news on a patch?? or driver updates???

Quote Originally Posted by R1c4n
    Heh I used to have an x800 pro......well anyways, next gen will not work with that card, it only supports SM 3.0...not 2.0 as previously stated.

I have an X800 Pro and have turned on NG.

It is playable with it turned on, but is very slow with AA on, so if you turn AA off and NG on it is fast enough to play with no problems.

It is dark though.

Personally I like it better with NG off on my system.

Edit:

With the Newest Cat 6.4 drivers it isn't as dark, looks much better.