Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 84

Thread: 6 hours gameplay...

  1. #51

    Smile

    The author of this thread is right.
    The game took me about 7-8 hours to complete and included in that is the time I had to play the whole England dungeon again because of a bug that stopped one of the cages with chains in the underground cavern from working (that's the only bug I encountered though).

    I am still satisfied with the game, because the controls are really nice in my opinion, there are plenty of outfits left to unlock and the game was really fun, with intelligent physics-based riddles (although a bit easy) and good variety in the levels. And I'm a real Tomb Raider fan...
    I also think the game has some replayability value.

    The only thing apart from the short gameplay that bothers me a bit is the Next Generation mode which is just an effortless port of the Xbox 360 version and not at all customisable or optimised for PC hardware.

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by tr1xp
    Because there isn't enough of it to enjoy! Man I literally took my sweet time and explored everywhere possible and the game was over about the same time I started getting comfortable with the new controls. 6 hours. Tops. And that was drawing it out as long as possible. If I played it a second time I bet I would be done in 2 hours. I was just getting warmed up and it was over! I thought I was finally getting done with the early "training levels" full of popup tips and about to get into the good stuff and the credits rolled! Get it?

    I'm not knocking the quality of the little bit of a game there is, I'm just saying a tiny, itty bitty, short game like this is not worth full price. It's 8 levels. EIGHT! And a couple of those are only 5 minute long 1 room levels, and the rest are just a hallway with 2 rooms at the ends of it. They're TINY.

    After the bug infested abomination that was TR-AOD, this little demo sized game is a slap in the face to any Tomb Raider fan and Eidos customer.
    I couldn't agree more. What really got to me was that how long I actually waited for the game to be relesaed and what I got was a 6 hour movie cause that was what it was like, to be honest. Every single level in the game is way to short for my liking and probably other TR fans as well. The only level in the game I enjoyed was the Ghana-level mainly because you get to do that awesome swan dive at start of it but thats about it really. Ther simply isn't enough platforming to do in it either and what the hells with all the shiny signs ! it like someone tilling you how to do a puzzle without the chance to even try to figure it out for yourself and I really hate that. they might as well have put "you can grapple here/that" in subtitles.

    Here is what I liked in the game, the graphics for one is some of the best I've ever seen in a game, and I own the PS2 version btw and Lara looks and moves absolutely incredible, I also think her voice is perfect I really enjoyed hearing it in the game. The story is the best out of all the TR series but it would have been better if Eidos had of kept this story to a later date or sequal cause it just feels wasted in this one

  3. #53
    It seems I'm the only one who actually enjoyed the game as it is!?

    The main downside of the game is obviously the short 6-8 hours gameplay. and many of you say that you love the graphics and sound.

    But you also have to keep in mind that those two are directly related. If we had graphics like 10 years ago, they could make much more levels, because they aren't as hard to create.

    The nicer games look and sound or the more physically accurate they are, the more time has to be spent in creating every single room or level.

    I would even guess that more time went into the development of Tomb Raider Legend than into the first, second or third game, because modern graphics and physics require a lot of time to be made.

    The choice can either be quantity or quality. There are hardly any games that got both as far as I know. And I'm sure you noticed that the better a modern game looks and feels, the shorter it usually is.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    228
    You can also have quality AND quantity....like the first 4 TRs

    This thing of, one OR the other, quality OR quantity is not correct....you should have them both like the old games

    And TRL was not pure quality either, it has some awesome parts but the overall verdict would be average (too many downsides to be called a quality game). So TRL did not have quality nor quantity

    I would say, dump the superdooper graphics so we have space on the disk to get some content back

  5. #55

    Not so long

    I agree it is a little short and I want closure... Sorry going plotty on you...

    I manged it in 24 hours, but that includes sleeping eating, shopping and servicing my dragstar...

    I walk away feeling I want more and that I've been cheated out of content. Saying that there might be restriction due to the very nice but weighty graphics and something had to go...

    The motorcycle bits where the best fun I've had in a tombraider game in ages...

    Note to future self; think about cost per hour on completion before purchase!!!

  6. #56
    im starting to think the game isnt short at all, its just u guys that have played it got soo engrossed in the game & couldnt stop playing until u finally beat it a few hours later.

  7. #57
    Actually, maybe the game won't be too short for me, since I generally suck at games.

    People complained "Indiana Jones And The Emperor's Tomb" could be completed in a couple of days, but it took me weeks.

    Other people complained "Sands Of Time" was too easy, and yet I just gave up on it.

    And some people said "KOTOR 2" was way too short and yet it took me about 3-4 weeks.

    So maybe my complete ineptitude will actually be a good thing now!
    This signature has been banned by the department of health.

  8. #58
    I just can't wait to see someone do a time run in this game, then you'll know how short the game really is cause I was able to finish it 1st time through in around 6 hour and I wasn't rushing it or anything, I actually was messing around in Lara 's manison most of time when playing it and as I said in another thread when I played TRL yesterday I was able to finish it in 2 hour and I still wasn't rushing it, the only other thing I did different was I that I skipped all the cut sceens

    This is the site for those of you who are wanting to show of a speed run in TRL: http://speeddemosarchive.com/

  9. #59
    I'm leaving myself open to a great deal of flaming here, but exactly how much of their lives should people want to devote to playing a single game?

    I have just completed Legend myself, it is the first TR game I have ever finished; I had previously lost interest in the others (TR I, II and AoD - the ones in between passed me by) before I got to the end.

    Legend was perhaps a bit short (as was say, Max Payne 2) but the overall quality of the game more than made up for it. I have a short attention span when it comes to games; but Legend has such superb attention to detail and depth - quality over quantity - that it doesn't matter to me that it's a bit short. £17.99 well spent for a weekend's entertainment and I will go back to it and enjoy playing it again.

    I remember buying The Terminator on the Mega Drive and finishing it in 30 minutes - thirty five quid I paid for that; lot of money for a fourteen year-old.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    228
    This game was made for people like you Danny Darko, and I don't mean any disrespect. You already confessed to it with your post.

    It was made for people who don't want to put real effort into a game, who don't want to struggle with 1 puzzle for hours and explore 1 huge tomb for days.
    This game is about just cruising to the finish while auto-grabbing and pressing the fire-button as much as you can while being hypnotized by the superdooper graphics....and Lara's high-definition rounded butt

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by lllll
    This game was made for people like you Danny Darko, and I don't mean any disrespect. You already confessed to it with your post.

    It was made for people who don't want to put real effort into a game, who don't want to struggle with 1 puzzle for hours and explore 1 huge tomb for days.
    This game is about just cruising to the finish while auto-grabbing and pressing the fire-button as much as you can while being hypnotized by the superdooper graphics....and Lara's high-definition rounded butt
    Yes it sounds like a very particular section of the market is very satisfied by Legend. Good for them.

    However, I think there is now a huge untapped market out there filled with old-style TR players who long to play something that contains the old magic.

    Any games developer with the sense and creative ingenuity to target this sector properly, will make £$ millions just like the early TRs did. There is a thirst for a much deeper experience than what's currently out there.

    After all, this very game itself is trading mostly (I know it's not totally) on the tremendous goodwill generated by those previous games.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan

    However, I think there is now a huge untapped market out there filled with old-style TR players who long to play something that contains the old magic.

    Any games developer with the sense and creative ingenuity to target this sector properly, will make £$ millions just like the early TRs did. There is a thirst for a much deeper experience than what's currently out there.
    Again, very well put.

    If I had the means and team I would definitely make that kind of game, because I really want it and second....it would make a lot of money. There are SO many people who are now waiting for a game like that for at least 6 years now, but they are getting promised things and then disappointed in a huge way. And these are not "just" TR fans.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by lllll
    Again, very well put.
    Thanks. We're just thinking similarly. Still it's nice to speak to one of the converted (as it were) for a change.
    If I had the means and team I would definitely make that kind of game, because I really want it and second....it would make a lot of money. There are SO many people who are now waiting for a game like that for at least 6 years now, but they are getting promised things and then disappointed in a huge way. And these are not "just" TR fans.
    If you're in the industry I beg you to go for it, please.

    I know what you mean about it not just being TR fans either, all the games seem to morphing into generic patterns of play style. I think it's because the development companies are big now, there's too much money at stake and too many people involved. Instead of creating personal labour's of love with a strong creative direction, everyone gets a vote and they collectively play safe every step of the way.

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by lllll
    This game was made for people like you Danny Darko, and I don't mean any disrespect. You already confessed to it with your post.

    It was made for people who don't want to put real effort into a game, who don't want to struggle with 1 puzzle for hours and explore 1 huge tomb for days.
    This game is about just cruising to the finish while auto-grabbing and pressing the fire-button as much as you can while being hypnotized by the superdooper graphics....and Lara's high-definition rounded butt

    That is what we call CHANGE. Legend is a change, new generation in Tomb Raider franchise, and it is normal that thousands of fans will HATE it. People generally hate changes. They want to have nostalgic moments, and when you ask them what they want, they say SOMETHING NEW. You make that something new, in all possible ways, using all resources you got, yet people keep complaining about CHANGES. Just go back, in general TR forum in this board and re-read what people wanted to see after AOD disaster. What was their desire, suggestions etc. CD literally met all requests of fans', even more. But you know, there is a saying: you can't make everyone happy. I been fan since '98, have run site since '02, am playing at least 2 new games monthly, of all genres - and I can say this: they have managed to get the best possible quality/quantity ratio for this game. Its short yes, but it did not make me to let it go, as I did with TR4 when I played it first time. Because of OVER-HARDNESS, OVER-DIFFICULTY I completed it about year later. You maybe more intelligent than I am and solve all puzzles without help of walkthroughs, but I am not. Neither is majority of population of this planet. So automatically here comes good reason why game should suit those like me, more than those "wonder kid" ones. Tomb Raider changes, as everything else, and whatever we say, it will continue changing. We will either let it go, or be more loyal and stick with it - but whatever we decide it won't change marketing/development policy of Eidos at all and it should not either. This board has thousands of fans here, and I can count handful of those who literally disliked, even if not hated Legend, and this clearly shows the success of company.

    I also realize that with this new graphic engine and sound, CD made the greatest step in Tomb Raider history - we have very powerful infrastructure in our hands already. Definitely they will not go thru re-creating graphic engine next time, and that will definitely give them time to create more and more comprehensive and beautiful games with compelling plot, longer gameplay time and everything else. When I first played the game on my PC, I was kinda "wow, i have the best graphics ever" and yesterday I saw videos released by Eidos and lost all appetite. My PC was not even showing one tenth of graphic splendor hidden inside the game.

    Plus considering that CD has created such a beautiful game, which is completely different from what they have made so far, I can only applause them. We saw how Core tried to do something new, and in 3 years, they could not make that real. Even unfinished game itself was showing how weak their graphic engine was.

    Overall, I consider this as a necessary CHANGE in Tomb Raider franchise and I support it. I am confident CD will come up with better and better games next time, and I believe we all should be more understanding in the process.

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by lllll
    This game was made for people like you Danny Darko, and I don't mean any disrespect. You already confessed to it with your post.

    It was made for people who don't want to put real effort into a game, who don't want to struggle with 1 puzzle for hours and explore 1 huge tomb for days.
    This game is about just cruising to the finish while auto-grabbing and pressing the fire-button as much as you can while being hypnotized by the superdooper graphics....and Lara's high-definition rounded butt
    Guilty as charged.

    Maybe I'm just no good at games nowadays. Games that require a lot of effort to finish tend to keep me replaying a particular boss over and over because I keep dying, usually shouting "OH F*** OFF!!!" at the screen every time I snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    228
    Haha, yeah, I have no problem with those kind of games, sometimes I like playing easy games too, but TR is not about that. In fact it goes everything TR stands for, namely challenge and figuring out everything yourself

  17. #67

    Cool

    My wife and I play together on this game. We are at 76% and played 31 hours so far. Lovely game.

  18. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Darko
    Maybe I'm just no good at games nowadays. Games that require a lot of effort to finish tend to keep me replaying a particular boss over and over because I keep dying, usually shouting "OH F*** OFF!!!" at the screen every time I snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
    I feel the same way.
    I really did not enjoy TR2 at all because I died far too many times (too much gunplay.) TR3 was better, but it had those annoying "instant death traps," which would kill you without warning, and you simply had to know they were there and avoid them. Not fun. "POP:Sands Of Time" was another excessively difficult game, that I finally just traded in because I found the fights to be impossible (a shame, too, because the exploration/puzzles/atmosphere were great.)

    I haven't yet played Legend, but I do wonder if maybe I'll like it more than some people here simply because I don't like games that are ridiculously difficult. To me, there's no fun in struggling too much with a game. TR1 and 4 found that perfect balance of making the game fairly tough but but still fun. I guess it sounds silly, but when I play a game, I feel like, "Hey, I spent money on you-- how DARE you kill me!"
    This signature has been banned by the department of health.

  19. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangar The Dark
    I feel the same way.
    I really did not enjoy TR2 at all because I died far too many times (too much gunplay.) TR3 was better, but it had those annoying "instant death traps," which would kill you without warning, and you simply had to know they were there and avoid them. Not fun. "POP:Sands Of Time" was another excessively difficult game, that I finally just traded in because I found the fights to be impossible (a shame, too, because the exploration/puzzles/atmosphere were great.)

    I haven't yet played Legend, but I do wonder if maybe I'll like it more than some people here simply because I don't like games that are ridiculously difficult. To me, there's no fun in struggling too much with a game. TR1 and 4 found that perfect balance of making the game fairly tough but but still fun. I guess it sounds silly, but when I play a game, I feel like, "Hey, I spent money on you-- how DARE you kill me!"

    I think you re not so good in playing games

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Fan

    I think you re not so good in playing games
    Probably not. I play games to unwind after work, to relax. If I'm getting killed constantly, there's no fun in that for me. I've taken enough abuse at work, so coming home and getting abused by a game is not what I'm looking for. That's why I love graphic adventures (like "Syberia" and "The Longest Journey")-- they give you a good story, plenty to explore, a bit good mental challenge, but you don't get killed and you never have to start over.
    This signature has been banned by the department of health.

  21. #71

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Mangar The Dark
    ...and getting abused by a game is not what I'm looking for.
    Come on, you love it. We all do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mangar The Dark
    That's why I love graphic adventures (like "Syberia" and "The Longest Journey")-- they give you a good story, plenty to explore, a bit good mental challenge, but you don't get killed and you never have to start over.
    I loved both Syberia. But they do not have much replay value.

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangar The Dark
    Probably not. I play games to unwind after work, to relax. If I'm getting killed constantly, there's no fun in that for me. I've taken enough abuse at work, so coming home and getting abused by a game is not what I'm looking for. That's why I love graphic adventures (like "Syberia" and "The Longest Journey")-- they give you a good story, plenty to explore, a bit good mental challenge, but you don't get killed and you never have to start over.
    If a game gives you a mental journey then the game is good! But honsetly, I dont know if youve played Legend yet, but its no brain fun at all .. You can play it with your eyes closed after a bottle of whisky

  23. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by True_Patriot
    I just can't wait to see someone do a time run in this game, then you'll know how short the game really is cause I was able to finish it 1st time through in around 6 hour and I wasn't rushing it or anything, I actually was messing around in Lara 's manison most of time when playing it and as I said in another thread when I played TRL yesterday I was able to finish it in 2 hour and I still wasn't rushing it, the only other thing I did different was I that I skipped all the cut sceens
    If you go by the time limits set in time trial mode, the whole game can be done in 2 hours. Quite a number of games can be done really quickly, but it takes a lot of practise to do it. I remember hearing about how Metroid Prime could be done in under 2 hours, but it must have taken a lot of playthroughs to be able to do it that quickly. The time trial challenges in TR Legend can be done easily on just the second playthrough.


    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Darko
    I remember buying The Terminator on the Mega Drive and finishing it in 30 minutes - thirty five quid I paid for that; lot of money for a fourteen year-old.
    That was probably the shortest game I have ever played.

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Fan
    If a game gives you a mental journey then the game is good! But honsetly, I dont know if youve played Legend yet, but its no brain fun at all .. You can play it with your eyes closed after a bottle of whisky
    LOL! spoken like a true patriot

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Fan
    If a game gives you a mental journey then the game is good! But honsetly, I dont know if youve played Legend yet, but its no brain fun at all .. You can play it with your eyes closed after a bottle of whisky
    I haven't played Legend yet, so I don't know if it's mentally challenging or not.

    Just so you don't think I'm a complete wuss when it comes to games, I will say that "Timeline" was fine example of how a game can be TOO easy, even for a guy like me-- it was far too short, and your companion automatically told you the solution to every puzzle before you even had a chance to think it through on your own. So I hope Legend is at least more challenging than that.
    This signature has been banned by the department of health.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. help me get the monkey paw please
    By dum in forum Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th Jun 2004, 22:12
  2. anyone know where i can get...
    By kain-the-great in forum Legacy of Kain - General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th Mar 2004, 02:14
  3. Killing your own units
    By no_pulse in forum Praetorians - General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th Apr 2003, 22:07
  4. Flare bug
    By Tomb Raider Fan in forum Tomb Raider - Level Editor Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd Mar 2003, 18:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •