View Poll Results: What was your favourite Tomb Raider Game?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tomb Raider 1

45 27.44%
  • Tomb Raider 1 Gold : Unfinished Business

12 7.32%
  • Tomb Raider 2: Starring Lara Croft

40 24.39%
  • Tomb Raider 2 Gold : The Gold Mask

7 4.27%
  • Tomb Raider 3: The Adventures Of Lara Croft

42 25.61%
  • Tomb Raider 3 Gold : The Lost Artifact

14 8.54%
  • Tomb Raider 4: The Last Revelation

37 22.56%
  • Tomb Raider 5: Chronicles

19 11.59%
  • Tomb Raider 6: The Angel Of Darkness

18 10.98%
  • Tomb Raider 7: Legend

56 34.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The New Official "What was your favourite Tomb Raider Game?" including Legend

It'll always be Tomb Raider. The others are Tomb Raider but not this kind of Tomb Raider..nothing else can be compared. It just can't..not even Legends (it was GREAT though it just can't...)

Chronicles and Legend for me[/QUOTE]

Yup I whole heartedly agree

last revelation will always be my favourite (because of the locations), but i really, really enjoyed legend.

Last Revelation wins it for me... that was really an epic. Great story, great locations, new types of puzzles, good balance of combat and exploring. I mean, really, what more could a TR fan ask?

TR1 probably comes in second place.

The only TR game I really disliked was TR2.
    This signature has been banned by the department of health.

last revelation... brilliant music as well, a real stunner. legend was good but didnt feel much like tomb raider to me, and i cant finish angel of darkness because the controls are just so awful.. i cant believe they didnt fix it

Last Revelation for me. It was the first PS1 game I ever played. And it took me about 2 years to beat without strategy guides or walkthroughs. I didn't realize they had those. But the story, scenery, puzzles, and music makes it my favorite. TR3 and TR2 are a close 2nd.

Thumbs Up

TR2 my first and still fav
    "Live Free or Die"

Every original TR is on my list, including AOD and Legend
    To be proud of virtue, is to poison yourself with the antidote

"Legend" - for me. I played every other "TR", and I still think, that "Legend" is the best - this is the game, that was most fun playing.
    The least favorite (disappointing, I'd say) was "AoD". You know what? I'm going to test my will power soon: I'm going to install the game and complete it. That would be a test!

Tomb Raider II is still my favourite, bit harder than Tomb Raider I, but still enjoyable. Although l have completed all the others, the Core ones from 3-6, l did not find to be as much fun as the first 2 games

TR 1 and TR 2 always have been and always will be my favourite! no matter how "old" they are. they have a diffrent quality [compared to other games, they have something diffrent], and it's top, IMO.
    the games I disliked (and still do) are TRLR and AOD. I don't need to say much about AOD, but TRLR just...bored me in every way possible. both have their highlights, it isn't all bad, but there aren't enough of them for me to like those games.

as for the full list:
    TR 1 & 2
    TR 3
    TR: Legend
    TR:C
    TRLR
    AOD

Gold versions:
    TR 2: golden mask
    TR 3: lost artifact
    TR1: unfinished business

Chronicles and LEGEND

Quote Originally Posted by shirl123
    but TRLR just...bored me in every way possible. both have their highlights, it isn't all bad, but there aren't enough of them for me to like those games.
    I have to agree with you there. It was like Tomb Raider III except worse...not that they're SO SO BAD but yeah..plain simple - they were kinda boring. But I don't blame CORE for that, for they're being requested year after year to make more and that is mind bogglin' stressful..I'd lose out ideas too.

Lightbulb Suggestion To Eidos

SUGGESTION TO EIDOS:
    HEY TOMB RAIDERS!
    LEGENDS WAS FANTASTIC!! WOULDN'T IT BE FAB IF THEY RELEASED EARLIER VERSIONS OF THE TOMB RAIDER GAMES REDONE?? SAME STORY LINES, BUT WITH NEW IMPROVED GRAPHICS...
    THE ORIGINAL GAME WILL NEVER HAVE THE SAME GAME PLAY AS PLAYING FOR THE FIRST TIME-REMEMBER THE DAYS...BUT IT COULD LOOK SO MUCH BETTER. LEGENDS WAS EXTRODINARY, WOULD ENJOY SHOOTING THE DINOSAURS WITH MORE PIXELS WOULDNT YOU...? MANY OF THE EXOTIC LOCALS COULD BE POLISHED UP A BIT...

"YOU CAN DO IT PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT!!"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by flygirl View Post
    SUGGESTION TO EIDOS:
    HEY TOMB RAIDERS!
    LEGENDS WAS FANTASTIC!! WOULDN'T IT BE FAB IF THEY RELEASED EARLIER VERSIONS OF THE TOMB RAIDER GAMES REDONE?? SAME STORY LINES, BUT WITH NEW IMPROVED GRAPHICS...
    THE ORIGINAL GAME WILL NEVER HAVE THE SAME GAME PLAY AS PLAYING FOR THE FIRST TIME-REMEMBER THE DAYS...BUT IT COULD LOOK SO MUCH BETTER. LEGENDS WAS EXTRODINARY, WOULD ENJOY SHOOTING THE DINOSAURS WITH MORE PIXELS WOULDNT YOU...? MANY OF THE EXOTIC LOCALS COULD BE POLISHED UP A BIT...

"YOU CAN DO IT PUT YOUR BACK INTO IT!!"
    You get your wish granted next year with Tomb Raider Anniversary.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=208
    The thing about Canadians is, they are very friendly people. But give them a hockey stick and they'll kill you.

Hey Goran !!! Good to see you & Cat Suit again !!!

Of course I voted for TR III. It has it all.

I'm playing TR II at the moment, because we saw some scenes from Venice on a tour DVD, and I told my wife "that's in TR II !!!" Then I got into the game, so I'm in the opera house again, dodging sand bags - LOL, remember that ???

Legend reminded me of so many of the "run & shoot" games you see everywhere. I play TR for relaxation. I don't want to play a game that leaves me so hyped up I can't go to sleep.

Where's everybody else ??? I guess I'll have to take a look around - haven't visited for a while...

Post Which is your favourite game of the series and why?

This may have been discussed countless times before but since this is only my 4th post I thought I'd bring it up again

In my oppinion the best was TR2 due to it's longevity & cutting edge gameplay when it was originally released. TR4 was pretty good also as its' plotline & finale took Lara in a new and unforseen direction.

If your wondering why I never picked TR Legend as the best, it's because it was far too short
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. (George Orwell)

I agree with the fact that TR2 was my favourite. But it was close because I loved TRLR (tomb raider 4), TR1 and TRL.

Legend is the only one I've really played, so it wins by default. I did play Angel of Darkness for about 5 minutes a few years ago, since it came free with some graphics card that I bought. Boy was that game a turn off. It really was only 5 minutes, or somewhere between 5 and 10. It sucked. Or at least the controls sucked so bad that I didn't bother playing it again. Something about it sucked because I never played it long enough to make my way out of the alley or rooftops or whatever the beginning of the level was (it's been a few years). And since it had been free, it was no skin off my back.

I can only hope Crystal makes TR8 (I'm skipping TRA in the numbering sequence here) as fun and entertaining as Legend was - though at the bare minimum 4-5 times longer (based on a conservative 6-7 hour mark for TRL)!

My favorite game was the last revelation, it was the longest, the best puzzles, the best story, and i loved the new theme song.
    Chronicles had some great bits but it was so short.
    I loved legend it was definitely one of the best tomb raider games but i didn't pick it for the following reasons:
    -spoon-feeding us what to do like the rad mode or the shiny objects.
    -the game was short (goes without saying)
    -the story seemed kind of lame, you know since lara is british and the developers are american why not make a story that would make lara seems very british ? so we'll talk about king Arthur !, i didn't think it was the best they can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by xbaa View Post
    -spoon-feeding us what to do like the rad mode or the shiny objects.
    The lazy in me liked the spoon-feeding, though the gamer did not, and the gamer prevails here.

If anyone has played Legend of Oasis for the Sega Saturn, you'll know what I'm talking about as far as object-environment interaction goes. There were NO hints whatsoever on which items you could interact with. You had a wrist-guard device thingy that was used to summon different spirits that you collected along the way. You fire this thing at an element associated with that spirit in order to summon them to you. There was a spirit for water, fire, earth, sound, shade (shadows, ghosts, etc), and air. For the water spirit, anything watery would work. A pond, a stream, even drops of water dripping from ceilings in caves would work (if you were l33t enough to hit one anyways). And so on for each spirit. The environments in this game were quite complex with the ability to summon any number of the spirits (though you can only ever have one active at a time) in a single area. The trick was figuring out which one would work best for your current situation and then figuring out a way to summon them with your given environment. This was complicated by the environments being such that you could always summon at least 2-3 of them. This game was an exploring and puzzle solving game just like Tomb Raider, but you were totally and completely on your own with no hints. It was purely about your ability to evaluate your situation and MacGyver your way out of it.

Nothing was blatantly pointed out like it is in Legend. No RAD mode, no shiny, gleaming metal objects, nothing. You had to sit there and figure it out on your own. Although it did cause the game to be quite difficult in many places, it made finally finding a solution so that you could move on very satisfying. Enhanced by the fact that there wasn't always just one way to solve your problem.

The next TR after TRA has great potential, especially if it can go along with this idea. I don't think it would be too hard for them to implement an option to control the hints. That way RAD mode, Zip/Alister, shiny metal objects could be there for those that wanted them, and none of that could be there for those that wanted to figure it out on their own. Let us grapple all the metal in sight until we find something that works. Let us stand on top of everything until something works. Etc.

Might of been a bit off topic, but I thought it was at least somewhat appropriate, given xbaa's comments.

Still <3 TRL though, and very much looking forward to TRA.

Thumbs Up

LaraGirl & xbaaa I agree TR4 was really good. It came a close second to TR2 as I felt at the time it helped bring the series back on track after TR3. That's not to say TR3 wasn't any good but I remember when playing TR3 I kind of felt a bit let down after the great TR2. In a way it was reminiscant of Angel of Darkness and other games (i.e. Dirge of Cerberus) where the developers spend too much time on the animations & not enough time on the actual game play experience.

Sorin your thoughts are pretty much the same as mine. Although TR Legends was a huge step in the right direction, as I've said the game was far too short in comparison to others I've played. The bosses & enemies were easy to beat and although the plotline was good, it was easy to guess what was going to happen next in the story. I did very much like the twist at the end of the story as when I thought about what the other reality might be like, it reminded me of the weird cloud like levels at the end of TR2

I am not too thrilled that the game makers have decided to jump backwards for TR Anniversary. Whilst this may attract new gamers, what will someone who has played the entire series get frm the experience?
    If they wanted to do this alongside a move forward in the series I would be far happier.

Anyhow getting back on track, if I had to pick an order of the games I'd prob say:

TR2
    TR4
    TR 1
    TR5 & TR Legend (tied)
    TR3
    TR Angel of Darkness
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. (George Orwell)

tr8- father time?

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather77 View Post
    In my oppinion the best was TR2 due to it's longevity & cutting edge gameplay when it was originally released.
    having played them all, to me TR7-Legend is the best. perhaps because it is the latest, or perhaps because of its look and easy control scheme, etc. i think the obvious hinting was necessary in TR7, to bring a mass audience back to the game and the shortness was in part due to the risk/cost factor in reinventing the game successfully. I hope the sequel to TR7 (i.e. TR8) has less hinting and a longer storyline since TR7 was such a huge success. i hope Crystal Dynamics has considered that and it is, in part, a reason why they are planning TR8 for 2008 instead of 2007.

in other news .... TRX-10th anniversary, due later this year, can easily become my new all time favorite since it appears to be beautiful, easy to control and not just a rehash of TR1, which had decent puzzles.
    (ummm ... i prefer TRX to TRA since i'm anticipating TRX2 and TRX3 ...)

my past favorites:
    TR2 (i liked the secrets system-gold, silver, jade, in that game the best)
    TR1 (just cause it was new and awesome at the time...)
    TR4 (last revelation, very challenging, maybe even tied for second place...)
    TR5 (chronicles, very good actually but a little too short ...)
    TR3 (was a little overly ambitious and seemed to have lost focus ...)
    TR6 (my favorite lara look, but the gameplay was wierd)

For me it was the original. I did not play any game after 4, and before Legend.

1) TR1 (Perfect atmosphere, great maps, unique experience)

2) TR2 (Playing it again now, complex puzzles, complex moves, challenging and fun)

3) TR3 (Huge areas, lots of exploration, many enemies)

4) TLR (slightly changed the controls, excellent maps, good story)

5) Legend (I have said enough about this )

Graphics are more than secondary to me; if the game is challenging, has a good story and creates an immersing world, than I could care less about cutting-edge graphics. It's funny however, that I am always upgrading my graphics card!

Tomb Raider 1 is my favorite, closely followed by Tomb Raider 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast