Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exclusive Fan Interview With Tomb Raider: Legend Producer, Morgan Gray!

Game engines seem to keep developing and developing and developing. Are the controls for Lara going to settle down now so we can get used to them and get to know the gal again?

I think Laraman asked a useful question. It does concern me that Crystal have repeatedly badmouthed Core and the earlier TR games; this does not make them look good.

Another question I've got is; it seems clear that there are many elements from the TR movies in Legend, such as Lara's appearance, gadgets, the tech team, the new biography and the look of her mansion. Since the movies didn't do at at well critically (and in the case of Cradle of Life, commercially) and were never that popular among TR fans, why do the developers want to tie in to them at all?

That isn't meant to be nasty btw...clearly I'm not a great Legend enthusiast but this is something that genuinely puzzles me.

That's my question

Hi, Morgan, why did you decide to have Amanda as unloackble character?
    I think that's a bad idea, but it does not broke the beauty of the game...

What is Morgan's favourite level from a previous TR game (not Legend) and why does he like it? What is it that makes it so great?

What does Morgan think is the essence (apart from Lara Croft and "Tombs") a Tomb Raider game, and what made the original TR games so successful?

Why does he think previous TR games sold much better than other Crystal Dynamics games in the past?

Who is the target audience for the new TR game?

Many games have had their priority releases on Xbox and Playstation 2, and a few of them would later be ported to the GameCube. Why can't Legend join this group? Why exclude a whole lot of people - GameCube owners, namely - when there is no longer an exclusivity contract?

So far Legend is looking great, can't wait to play it!

Obviously you changed Lara's bio to let it fit it into the new game. As this must have been done in the early stages of creating the game, why did you change Lara's bio? Did you want to create a whole new Lara or wanted to create a more suitable storyline around her?

More questions from www.tombraiderfans.com.

Quote Originally Posted by PERICO
    - Why have you made a mixture of the movie and the games for the new Lara Croft's biography, which does not correspond to the original bio? ¿Was really necessary to incorporate to TR Legend's Lara elements from the film?
    - What can you tell us about the secrets and the bonus material included in Tomb Raider Legend? ¿What part will play Croft Manor in that matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_CRON
    Thanks for this opportunity. Do you know who is voicing Lara in Spanish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    - How many hours will we need to complete TRLegend?
    - Is it true that there will be 20 outfits for Lara?
    - Will there be secrets like the old Tomb Raiders?
    - What about the posibility of Tomb Raider 8?
    - Is Karima coming to Spain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    Will Tomb Raider Legend have new gameplay options (i.e. new game modes) to replay the game after finished?
    Quote Originally Posted by iván
    Has Lara got in Tomb Raider Legend the "sprint" movement (run faster)?
    Quote Originally Posted by AnaCroft
    - Will we be able to choose Lara's outfits in the game?
    - When we complete the game, will we be able to choose other playable characters?
    - What kind of vehicles, appart from the motorbikes, will we be able to ride?
    - Will The Croft manor be a level inside the game, or will we be able to play it whenever we want?
    - Will we be able to play outside the manor (i.e. the garden)?
    - Is there a boss at the end of each level?
    - What kind of extras has the game got?
    - Is there any extra level?
    - Regarding the secrets, what will we get if we collect them all?
    - We will meet Lara's mother. Will we meet her father as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Croft
    What about the Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary Edition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomb Raider...regresa
    Will there be any Tomb Raider Legend comics?

Quote Originally Posted by TREEBLE
    Many games have had their priority releases on Xbox and Playstation 2, and a few of them would later be ported to the GameCube. Why can't Legend join this group? Why exclude a whole lot of people - GameCube owners, namely - when there is no longer an exclusivity contract?
    Just an aside note: The Gamecube is pretty much dead at this point in time, what with the Nintendo Revolution out later this year. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have another major title to help the system go out with a bang.

Which also begs me to ask the question: Will we see a version of 'Tomb Raider Legend' for the Nintendo Revolution in the future and will it utilize it's... unique controller? (Much like the new Sonic the Hedgehog game, if you haven't heard of it, Sega's making normal versions for PS3 and X360, /w a special version for the Revo.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mekairinek
    Just an aside note: The Gamecube is pretty much dead at this point in time, what with the Nintendo Revolution out later this year. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have another major title to help the system go out with a bang.
    It hasn't stopped them from doing two versions for the Xboxes. Plus the Revolution will play GameCube titles, so they pretty much could release it on the GC and it will still go well when the Revolution begins. It would be like not releasing on the Playstation 2 because the Playstation 3 is right around the corner.

Sorry for the sidetalk, but I really wish I wouldn't have to miss out Legend just because I stick to Nintendo.

i was wondering... i heard that you guys toned down the graphics... why?

Questions regarding the new Legend game...

Hi Morgan. I'm a BIG TombRaider fan. I've played them all and with the exception of AOD, they were all excellent. I was totally disappointed with AOD and I was thrilled to hear you plan to restore our confidence by bringing Laura back as she was in the "older" games. I still play those games. I still love those games. I trashed AOD.
    Ok. Question one. In all the previous TombRaider games (except AOD) the camera view was either from behind Laura or looking through her eyes. That was excellent. Will Legend restore that concept?
    Question two. One of the things I loved about the previous TombRaider games was the saves. You could save anywhere, especially when you got to a difficult spot. I really hate when you have to reach a certain checkpoint in order to save. Will Legend continue with frequent saves?
    Question three. In all the previous TombRaider games (except AOD), Laura's skills or actions gradually improved, which was fine. Will we be able to control her as before or do we have to contend with a zillion new tricks to get her to do this or that? I only have so many fingers and so many keys on my keyboard ya know...
    Question four. In AOD, I was infuriated that when Laura tried to do something, if she hadn't accomplished a certain task, she couldn't open a simple door or do something ("I'm not strong enough yet"). I sure hope you got rid of that.
    Question five. In AOD, we had to play as Kurtis. If I had wanted to play as Kurtis or some other jerk, I would've bought another game! Honestly, we buy the TombRaider games to play as Laura. Please tell me you're not going to force us to play as some other character in THIS game?
    Comment. You really don't need to make vast technical advances in the TombRaider series, like making Laura make stealth moves or do triple somersaults or whatever. The games were popular because they were exciting to play, full of adventure and fun. Just keep coming out with new adventures and maybe some gradual new actions for Laura. Really. I know, I've seen critiques from computer whiz's saying that TombRaider is outdated or not keeping up with the times... Gimme a break! The original games were great. I'm sure you noticed that by the amount of sales they brought in. As I said before, I continue to play the "old, outdated, obsolete" TombRaider games, simply because they are fun. And, because I can control Laura's actions easily. I hope you've learned from the debacle of AOD that fans just want more of Laura's adventures. Don't screw with a successful formula. Ignore those critics who say TombRaider is outdated. You can laugh all the way to the bank. We'll keep coming back for more. Thanks. GrizzlyJim

GrizzlyJim.. Tomb Raider fan ? You didn't even write her name right.. Her name is Lara.. not Laura
    Arguing on the internet is like running the special olympics, even if you win your still retarded

Big Grin

Hi,
    I've seen the screenshots of the game so far, and it actually blows me away( Especially the X360 and the PC version),i have to say BRAVO for this!!!!!
    My 3 questions are:
    I heard that Lara could sweat in the game, it actually looks amazing because i never seen this so far in a video game, would you like to comment on this(about how realistic the game is)? And i would like to ask you to post an screenshot of Lara sweating, just to see the effect,because i don't have an enormous video card and i don't have X360 so i would like to see it once!
    Question 2 : Why is Tomb Raider Legend taking 9.9 gb on the PC version?
    Question 3: When is the demo version of Legend coming out on the PC?
    Bonus Question : Would you like to make an TR who follows the story of AOD? Because the concept was good the game just needed something else....
    Comment on the game: It is very amazing, for once TR is outbreathing me!!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Please answer at least one question
    Bye!

fogot something.....

On the PC version there is 3 configuration, the minimal configuration, the recommended configuration and the optimal configuration, would you mind showing us the difference? On some screenshots!!!

Hi,

First of all, let me just say how excited I am for this game: I'm glad the series is heading 'back to its roots', as it really began to lose its way with the constant sequels. I'm also glad it is in the hands of a capable developer like Crystal Dynamics. Anyway, here's my question!

1) Is there any chance of bonus unlockable "classic" levels from some of the old Tomb Raider games, in the new game engine? Levels like the first Caves, Lost Valley, St Francis' Folly from Tomb Raider 1 would be very welcome (if not the entire game, updated )

Infact, a second and third question:
    2) How long would you estimate the game would take for the player to complete?
    3) Looking back, what you judge to be the successes and failures of the Tomb Raider franchise as a whole?

Hey!
    Here is my questions:

#1: Will there be a sequel game to AoD?
    #2: When is the demo's release date for PC?
    #3: How many more Tomb Raider games will there be in the future?

Thanks and I hope I get picked!
    Never realized it before, but... You're dead, I'm alive, what's the difference? We are alike, dead or alive. We thrive to survive. We all do.

Info on consoles

Few more questions here

1.What is the official release date for Legend on psp
    2.What "mini games" will the psp version include
    3.Will there be a ps3 version
    4.If yes to 3,When will there be a ps3 version
    5.If yes to 3,Will there be a online multiplayer in the ps3 version

And thanks for the opportunity MattD
    ................................/\
    ..............I know.. Spelling problem
    Arguing on the internet is like running the special olympics, even if you win your still retarded

Looking forward to it

Thanks for doing this Mr. Gray,

I've been a fan for years; I'm the sf/fantasy author who wrote LCTR: The Lost Cult for Del Rey and Eidos. I'm very happy to have Lara back in the tombs and looking gorgeous. Hearty applause for the scenery and settings, I've always believed at its heart Tomb Raider should be all about a great-looking character moving through great-looking environs (with a chase, gunfight, and puzzle thrown in now and again to freshen things up).

I'd just like to chime in and repeat what another person said above about the music, it would be great to have a way to get the music from this (and other) games.

As far as new moves go in future games, I'd like to see Lara be able to do a few of the moves that Parkour/Freerunning athletes have developed (see Jump London, David Belle's "Rush Hour" commercial for the BBC, and so on).

Best wishes for Lara's continued success,

E.E. Knight

Smile

Hi Mr. Gray,

I'd like to know if the help features (shiny objects, Lara looking at things, Button prompts) can be toggled off for REAL Tomb Raiders.

And if not, could you please consider this for any future installations, pretty please?
    The thing about Canadians is, they are very friendly people. But give them a hockey stick and they'll kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by GoranAgar
    Hi Mr. Gray,

I'd like to know if the help features (shiny objects, Lara looking at things, Button prompts) can be toggled off for REAL Tomb Raiders.

And if not, could you please consider this for any future installations, pretty please?
    Agree.. I really hate the shiny objects they make the game much easier and take the fun out of the puzzles

Zip, Winston & music

Question 1: I don't see how chatter from Zip and Winston add to the game. How do you think this dialogue improves the game? Can we turn them off?

Question 2: Can we turn off the continuous music? I don't care for continuous music in games. I feel it is something my brain has to filter out like a dripping fawcet and increases stress rather than increasing enjoyment. In the early TR games, there were interjections of music that matched the situation. This increased the emotion of the situation which I liked. Also in the early TR games, I loved the sound effects that matched the environment.

Thanks!
    "Wait! Are we talking about the artifact here?"

Both Laraman and Raven raise some interesting questions. As an AoD enthusiast, I'm afraid my question might be deemed nasty too, but it is hard to articulate it any other way.

So: why did you choose to include a second playable (unlockable) character in Amanda, when the inclusion of Kurtis Trent (who I personally loved) was the topic of intense debate amongst fans? You said you were going back to Lara's roots and weren't going to repeat the 'mistakes' of AoD, and yet you have went and done something for which AoD was first credited. Isn't this being a little bit hypocritical?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Raybe
    Both Laraman and Raven raise some interesting questions. As an AoD enthusiast, I'm afraid my question might be deemed nasty too, but it is hard to articulate it any other way.

So: why did you choose to include a second playable (unlockable) character in Amanda, when the inclusion of Kurtis Trent (who I personally loved) was the topic of intense debate amongst fans? You said you were going back to Lara's roots and weren't going to repeat the 'mistakes' of AoD, and yet you have went and done something for which AoD was first credited. Isn't this being a little bit hypocritical?
    I don't quite think you understand the whole unloackable thing. Amanda is probably just a "skin" so that while it looks like Amanda whil you run around, the game is still Lara's game(many games do this). CD has said numerous times that you will only play Lara, there is no second playable character.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Raybe

I thought this at first too, however the difference is we won't be forced to play as Amanda.
    signature image
    ...previously known as "Mum"

Hi there.

Getting right to the question: can the headset and the comments from Zip and Alister be shut off? Whose idea was it to put it in? Many people on different forums are very negative about it because it seems to ruin the TR atmosphere (gathering from the in game footage available).
    It was about Lara being all alone in a tomb, nothing to depend on but herself. Exploring an ancient tomb without getting disrupted. And even if she isn't getting many hints from these guys, the jokes are pretty lame, I mean there was a joke in a trailer by Zip about Lara swallowing a tool and then 1 hour later she would be able to use it again....come on man, is that funny? It's gross and kindergarden stuff.

Besides that (and the city levels) I think this game will be cool (meaning real TR like the original), so I hope the headset can be shut off. If not some of us are already preparing to delete the audio connected to the headset convos in the audio folder, we are gonna start a thread about how the many people who don't like it can do that

Later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast