Thread: Outrage as hit-and-run killer gets three months

Thumbs Down Outrage as hit-and-run killer gets three months

Outrage as hit-and-run killer gets three months

On reading this report today I was outraged.
    The subject is controversial I agree.
    You have to take in account it was purely a accident.Has to be proven.
    Where is the Justice though?.He only got 12 Weeks!.
    Today in another case.Someone got 12 Months for a car clocking scam.
    There is no comparison.
    I wondered,what the Laws are in other Countries in cases like it.
    What do you think?

The relatives of a toddler mown down by a hit-and-run driver in a stolen car have slammed the judge who handed him a 12-week jail sentence.

Mohammed Hussain, 26, was also driving with no licence or insurance when he sped off after killing three-year-old Levi Bleasdale in Burnley.

She was struck as she crossed Ormerod Road with her mum, Kirsty Ryan, and five-month-old sister Brogan in September last year.

She died in the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, where her life support machine was switched off.

After Hussain was sentenced last week, Levi's grandfather, Michael Ryan, slammed the leniency of the jail term. The judge could have imposed a maximum sentence of six months.

He said: "We are all devastated, I think the sentence is appalling. It's just unbelievable, even a thief gets longer than that."

He added: "We were hoping we could put this all to rest, but we cannot now."

Mohammed Aqueel Hussain, of Thurston Street, admitted failing to stop at the scene of an accident and failing to report an accident. He also admitted careless driving, an offence which does not carry a prison sentence.

Hussain also pleaded guilty to a charge of handling stolen goods and was sentenced to four weeks in prison to run concurrently with his 12-week sentence for failing to stop and failing to report an accident.

That sentence really is outrageous. It should be much longer. An accident is an accident, but a hit and run is different. The driver was acting wrecklessly, he killed someone, and he didn't even stop to see what he had done or if he could help. That should carry a much stiffer sentence.

Thumbs Down

Thats disgusting! A little girl is dead and he only gets 12 weeks for it, he knew what he had done and kept going

Our justice system pretty much mirrors yours Gillie, its all over the place and seriously needs some restructuring and consistency.
    signature image
    ...previously known as "Mum"

Lightbulb

Gillie, it is that way everywhere. When I was a child, my brother's best freind was shot dead while knocking on a stranger's door looking for directions. The killer thought it was his own brother coming home who was the one knocking.......and only got charged with a weapon's violation. In other words, the killer meant to kill someone, but got the wrong guy, so they didn't charge him with murder, or even manslaughter.

I agree... it's pretty shocking.

Having said that, there must have been some very exceptional circumstances for that guy, to get such a low sentance (i.e. a carer of somebody).

He also admitted careless driving, an offence which does not carry a prison sentence.
    The fact he was charged with careless driving,made the difference.
    He did not go out intentionally to kill.
    There are talks about changing the laws though.
    I still say the sentence was too lenient.It does seem to be the same everywhere.
    He had no driving licence or Insurance,and using a stolen car.

The guy should be tied up and put in the middle of the street, then run over him

Quote Originally Posted by CatSuit&Ponytail
    In other words, the killer meant to kill someone, but got the wrong guy, so they didn't charge him with murder, or even manslaughter.
    That is so disgusting.It is about time a lot of these laws were changed.

In other words, the killer meant to kill someone, but got the wrong guy, so they didn't charge him with murder, or even manslaughter.
    Actually, in the UK, he would have been done for murder as he had the intention (Mens Rea) to do the crime, but the Actus Reus (the actual doing of the crime) was transfered to another party.

I believe it's called "transfered malice", and the case of "Mitchell (1983)" says that even though the defendant intended to harm "victim A" but in actual fact harmed "victim B", the same law can be applied as though he harmed "victim A".

Here endeth the lesson

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Actually, in the UK, he would have been done for murder as he had the intention (Mens Rea) to do the crime, but the Actus Reus (the actual doing of the crime) was transfered to another party.

I believe it's called "transfered malice", and the case of "Mitchell (1983)" says that even though the defendant intended to harm "victim A" but in actual fact harmed "victim B", the same law can be applied as though he harmed "victim A".

Here endeth the lesson
    Thanks for that. It looks as though you say that up until 1983 in the UK the same thing could have happened.

I was really little when it happened, so all I remember was the outrage my parents felt, and the fear my brother felt, and the very minimal facts that they could share with me. : The two boys were looking for directions. The best friend went up to a house door and knocked. The man shot him dead. Later I was told he thought the boy was his brother, and he was only being charged with unsafe use of a firearm or something similar, and got very minimal time in jail. 3 years I think.

Laws are plastic things. They can changed and grow and be struck down. It is up to people of good conscience to make sure they are just, and justly applied.

The Law is seriously flawed, but it's the best we have.

Just like the NHS

It seems rather odd that this subject would come up now. There was a hit-and-run directly in front of our building on Wednesday. Pretty gruesome site, the guy who got hit was in a really bad way. First reports said he died, but then his condition was upgraded to critical. Lucily a nearby security camera got a beautiful side-on shot of the red camero that hit the guy. This happens far too often here in San Francisco. What makes matters worse is that most hit-and-run drivers here are never caught! However the ones that are caught are usually given a very harsh sentance.

Here's the SFPD report and a picture of the car.

http://www.sfgov.org/site/police_index.asp?id=37728

The really spooky thing is, you can still the blood stain in the street. No more "Jay" walking for this boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jebus
    It seems rather odd that this subject would come up now. There was a hit-and-run directly in front of our building on Wednesday. This happens far too often here in San Francisco. What makes matters worse is that most hit-and-run drivers here are never caught! However the ones that are caught are usually given a very harsh sentance.

The really spooky thing is, you can still the blood stain in the street. No more "Jay" walking for this boy.
    That is horrendous. There should be legislation in this Country to change the laws.It is far too lenient here.Though most are caught.It was not done intentionally,so therefore does not warrant a harsh sentence "Accident".
    Which I believe is still wrong.

@Omega.You are right. Seriously flawed Like the NHS.

The whole thing with it confessing to it being an accident is that an actual person who will show remorse and guilt can "reform" and mend their ways, before they end up like the dirty good-for-nothing scum bags we see today.

Basically, if a "nice guy" was charged with a crime, you'd want to be leanient because it was their first offense, and because they are a nice guy.

If a scum-bag with a criminal record as long as your arm was up for a crime, you'd want the hardest possible sentance because of his character.

The whole notion of our legal system (and a majority of others) is reform.

Having said that, and like I said before, it's the best we have - especially when compared to other countries and in that regard, I'm very happy with it.

Things always need improving, but we need to make sure it's for the better!

All of you (and from different countries) seem to agree this is clearly an injustice to the victim and family.

Just one question:

Is anyone here against the death penalty? Do you think people who intentionally murder others (not necessarily in an accident) should be put to death? There's a case in California of a rapist/murderer who was finally going to get the death sentance this week but now anti-death penalty people are protesting that the death penalty is unfair and 'uncivilised'. I was just wondering how people from other countries feel.

Is getting an injection that puts a murderer to sleep (forever) more "uncivilised" and barbaric than raping, torturing and killing an innocent person?? I have never understood that point of view, to be honest.
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...hoto/fugly.gif
    ~Kudos to Crystal Dynamics for resurrecting a seemingly dead franchise, and Eidos for relieving Core of the duty~

I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, I've heard the death penalty doesn't act like a deterrent that most people seem to think it would.

On the other, I think I belive that an "eye for an eye" isn't the right way to go about things.

Exclamation

Thin ice. Caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jebus
    It seems rather odd that this subject would come up now. There was a hit-and-run directly in front of our building on Wednesday. Pretty gruesome site, the guy who got hit was in a really bad way. First reports said he died, but then his condition was upgraded to critical. Lucily a nearby security camera got a beautiful side-on shot of the red camero that hit the guy. This happens far too often here in San Francisco. What makes matters worse is that most hit-and-run drivers here are never caught! However the ones that are caught are usually given a very harsh sentance.

If the guy in the Camero had stopped and waited for the police to show up, nothing would have been done to him. The Jay-Walker, in this case, is at fault. If the Jay-Walker was in the crosswalk, or within 15 feet of the crosswalk, it would have been the car driver's fault.

Lightbulb

What do I think? well i'm not perfect so how can I make a judgement. Who is anybody to judge anyone else, who has the right? (rhetorical question)

There has to be laws governing all things or it could be a lot worse, but these aren't always the best in all circumstances.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gillie, it is that way everywhere. When I was a child, my brother's best freind was shot dead while knocking on a stranger's door looking for directions. The killer thought it was his own brother coming home who was the one knocking.......and only got charged with a weapon's violation. In other words, the killer meant to kill someone, but got the wrong guy, so they didn't charge him with murder, or even manslaughter.
    That is horrible Cat, I'm really sorry to hear that something like that happened to someone close to your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Xxx_Lara_xxX
    Just one question:

Is anyone here against the death penalty? Do you think people who intentionally murder others (not necessarily in an accident) should be put to death? There's a case in California of a rapist/murderer who was finally going to get the death sentance this week but now anti-death penalty people are protesting that the death penalty is unfair and 'uncivilised'. I was just wondering how people from other countries feel.
    I also have mixed feelings on this. If someone has brutally raped or murdered someone then the death penalty may be appropriate, however there is the problem of what if the wrong person is being charged for the crime. It would be horrible if someone wrongly got the death penalty for someone else's crime. We haven't had the death penalty in Australia for decades and certainly not in my life time so its not normally an "issue" here. In the news at the moment there are court cases going on in Bali where some Australians were caught smuggling herion and have been facing the death penalty over there. I do think in this case that although they deserve harsh punishment the death penalty would be extreme.

I do believe in karma though (what goes around comes around).
    signature image
    ...previously known as "Mum"

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Mum
    That is horrible Cat, I'm really sorry to hear that something like that happened to someone close to your family.
    Thank you Mum. I wish I could tell you that that's all that ever happened. Heck, I could write a book. But life is all about learning to deal, and trying to help others avoid the pitfalls, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mum

I also have mixed feelings on this. If someone has brutally raped or murdered someone then the death penalty may be appropriate, however there is the problem of what if the wrong person is being charged for the crime. It would be horrible if someone wrongly got the death penalty for someone else's crime. In the news at the moment there are court cases going on in Bali where some Australians were caught smuggling herion and have been facing the death penalty over there. I do think in this case that although they deserve harsh punishment the death penalty would be extreme.
    I do believe in karma though (what goes around comes around).
    I too have mixed feelings on it.It is not for me to judge either.
    The harsh punishment for drug smuggling I do agree with.
    Death I think is wrong.If the wrong person is convicted,What then!.
    They were stupid really. They knew what punishment,is passed by drug smuggling and took the risk.
    The death penalty is a touchy subject.Countries have their own laws.It is not for us to judge how they choose to maintain law.
    Not the way to go though for me.We have not had the Death penalty here for decades either.Strongly believe in Karma too.

@CatSuit&ponytail
    That is so dreadful what happened to you.Hard to forget.
    Life is about learning.It does not take away the hurt though I know.Trying to help others is a great reward.

Catsuit, I'm sorry to hear about the dreadful way in which your brother's friend lost his life. I marvel at your strength and the way you embrace the positive:
    But life is all about learning to deal, and trying to help others avoid the pitfalls, right?
    As for the question of the death penalty, I always think of those that were executed, only for the truth of their innocence to be discovered too late...

For rock-solid cases where the guilt is proven beyond doubt, (caught on camera, a confession) -- I have to admit that I vacillate. Sometimes I feel I could be part of the torch-wielding mob outside the prison, other times, the "kill the killer" mentality bothers me.

All said and done, I think it's easy to take on a gentler opinion when no heinous thing has been inflicted upon someone I love.

Rolleyes WHat the HEEL

I am UTTERLY DISGUSTED!

For the sake of humanity, 12 WEEKS?!
    He should be punished for a longer time, I believe so...