Thread: Funny things in other games

Funny things in other games

I know that people here have got to be using their game systems for things other than replaying the LOK series until a new one comes out.

What funny things have you noticed in your games? (If it's a game that other people are unlikely to have played, perhaps a short explanation.)

One thing I noticed in POP:Sands of Time is that every once in a while, he'll say something like "Stop talking to yourself!" He narrates his own story almost the same way Raziel does, but Raziel never noticed the habit.

In Kya: Dark Lineage, the environment is full of strong winds and updrafts that can lift anyone. One of the points of the game is to knock out the enemies and expell the evil from them; therefore I usually hate knocking them off of cliffs, though they'll respawn if that happens.

One type of enemy I was having trouble fighting. I decided to knock him off the cliff simply to get him out of my way. It took about 45 kicks, and he blocked all the damage from them, but I finally knocked him off. He got caught in a weak updraft and started bouncing off of the scenery; then he drifted into a strong updraft and got tossed back on the cliff, but the trip knocked him out. Somehow, I thought that was hilarious. The AI on those particular ones also cause them to walk in a straight line towards Kya, so I have them constantly falling into holes.

Weell... How about a quote from the one and only Rincewind the Wizzard?

Now it begins. The Great Quest. Ahhhh.... I can see it now: Wandering locations, searching for obscure items. Staring at objects, wondering what horrible manipulations I have to go through just to secure the most mundane pieces of junk. Can't even go to the lavatory without negotiations with 3 dwarves and a maniacally depressed troll for the toilet paper. Still, could be worse I suppose. I might have paid for the privilege."

I - love - the Discworld. (For those of you who don't know, the Discworld is a series of over 30 books, as well as maps, games, and whatnot. It's the brainchild of Terry Pratchett, and it's just dripping with wonderfully sarcastic humour. Rincewind, who calls himself the Wizzard, is, well, a wizard - only that he can't remember a single spell. His fate, to his great dismay, is apparently to have adventures - I've lost count how many times he saved the Disc already. He has been to hell and seen the house of the gods, has been dropped from the Disc and seen the Turtle below it, seen the creation of the Disc (and actually created life on it due to an awkward incident with a sandwich), and generally went forward and backward in time so many times that it's a wonder he hasn't met himself... oh well, wait, he has!
    And he's not even the best character in the series. Although I don't quite know to whom this title should belong.)

Tough one...but i'd say vimes/death/vetinari. Have you read maskerade?ahahaha!ahahahaha

yrs

p.s.ahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
    i read phantom of the op. and was absolutely disgusted that he'd mock it, but i started laughing two pages in. Night watch is probably the best book.

I love Discworld, don't have a favorite though. (Maybe Soul Music, though I didn't care much for Carpe Jugulum.) I kinda wish I had glomed onto that discworld game when I saw it.

Back to Kya, I actually started a fight and then dropped off a ledge (non-harmful fall) and the enemies actually started dropping after me (and it killed them.)
    http://smokestock.deviantart.com | http://www.fanfiction.net/u/589342/ | http://smoke-z.deviantart.com

"It's like Shakespeare with pointless murder." -gryps incedio talking about the LOK games.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is full of funny stuff, like the throwable dead guy's head lying on the ground conveniently close to a basketball hoop.

Some of the finishing moves in God of War are hilarious in that violent, sadistic, Mortal Kombat type of way. I particularly enjoy playing badguyball with wimpy archers and smashing Sirens' faces into the bedrock. *demented chuckle*

I personally love games where you can waste enemies using the environment, booby traps, and/or other enemies. It's really satisfying tricking an enemy off a cliff or into a carnivorous plant, but it's just plain funny when the bad guys do it all by themselves. Once in The Two Towers some Uruk-hai commander came running at me while the archers behind all fired their flaming arrows at me. Every one of them hit him in the back and knocked him down. When he got back up he had at least a half dozen arrows sticking out of his keister like he'd sat on a giant porcupine.
    "What I wouldn't give to be really good at something... except practice."

In Morrowind, I was exploring a random Tomb.

I came across a corpse (skelton) with a note on him.

It was about his final few moments here, that he was an explorer, an adventurer. The note really got you in the heart, it was just so sad. It went on to describe how he was trapped here. A cave in, and his legs were crushed. He said that the only thing he was happy about, was that he would die with his trusty hat, and leather whip...

At this point, I was amost crying.

The note was signed "Indie"

Quote Originally Posted by evil_sharkey
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is full of funny stuff, like the throwable dead guy's head lying on the ground conveniently close to a basketball hoop.

Some of the finishing moves in God of War are hilarious in that violent, sadistic, Mortal Kombat type of way. I particularly enjoy playing badguyball with wimpy archers and smashing Sirens' faces into the bedrock. *demented chuckle*

I personally love games where you can waste enemies using the environment, booby traps, and/or other enemies. It's really satisfying tricking an enemy off a cliff or into a carnivorous plant, but it's just plain funny when the bad guys do it all by themselves. Once in The Two Towers some Uruk-hai commander came running at me while the archers behind all fired their flaming arrows at me. Every one of them hit him in the back and knocked him down. When he got back up he had at least a half dozen arrows sticking out of his keister like he'd sat on a giant porcupine.

I'm going to hide from you now if you honestly find all that funny!

I always loved the first 2 oddworld games like when they all got smashed off soulstorm brew.

and of course in LOK when raziel said he thought the ancients killed themselves to get away from the sound of squiddy's voice!

And of course too many to mention from time splitters!
    If it doesn't hurt you're not doing it properly

Oddworld was always great for funny stuff!

I curse Microsoft for making it exclusive to them. Since I refuse to by a Hex-Box, or Hex-Box2, I'm pretty much stumped

I loved the way you could make Abe fart (thats what it's called in the game before anyone complains!), and then make him laugh straight afterwards.

Many a quality moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Oddworld was always great for funny stuff!

I curse Microsoft for making it exclusive to them. Since I refuse to by a Hex-Box, or Hex-Box2, I'm pretty much stumped

I loved the way you could make Abe fart (thats what it's called in the game before anyone complains!), and then make him laugh straight afterwards.

Many a quality moment!

when you fart on another mudoken in exoddus and they saw PHEW and take a step back!

I am seriosuly thinking about buying an x-box for that most recent one though. it looks so cool! Does anyone know if any of the oddworld games play on a 360?

Hmm.
    Anyone here played Baldur's Gate II with Lilarcor the talking (but not quite intelligent) sword in it? You can ask the sword for advice on what to do next. The answer?
    "Find someone rich and kill him. Then, find someone richer and kill him too!" (that's followed by maniacal laugh )
    Well, it does have a certain logic from a sword's point... of view.

BG II is loaded with funny stuff, like when Tiax, the egomaniacal gnome, shrinks his undershorts while trying to put a curse on you. The Ratchet & Clank series is really funny, too. But those games are trying to be funny. It's a little different from funny things that randomly happen or are kind of hidden, like I think Smoke_Z was talking about.

I'm going to hide from you now if you honestly find all that funny!
    They're funny in context. If the Sirens were helping little old ladies cross the street and not kicking my butt, banging their heads into the ground wouldn't be very funny at all. It's funny like seeing a rude, dangerous driver get pulled over.

Thumbs Up

Honorary mention of Barry from Resident Evil. My favorite bit was when he and Jill enter the dining room near the beginning and find the blood on the floor. In the most pricelessly cheesy dialogue ever he says:

"It looks like <dramatic pause> BLOOD!"

Good job, Captain Obvious.

That gets me cracking up every time.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one;
    'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
    ~ Voltaire

"Frank Niagara: Pleased to meet you. I'm Frankie 'The Bat' Niagara.
    Max Payne: Niagara, as in you cry a lot? He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. P***ing him off was the smart thing to do."

I just love Max Payne and the way he makes things like literally killing hundreds of gangsters no more than a walk through the park.

"Vladimir Lem: Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present Max Payne. New York's Finest, with the biggest mobster bodycount ever. Dearest guests, prepare to die."

And you just have to love Vladimir, he's one funny Russian.

It's a little different from funny things that randomly happen or are kind of hidden, like I think Smoke_Z was talking about.
    Aww, you're so demanding... I like reading even about intended-funny things in games I will probably never play, 'cause of space-time demands and so on...
    But, OK - a war story from my first playing through of BGII, when I absolutely didn't know what was happening around me, what the tricks to play were... nothing:
    My character, a Kensai at that time, got really messed up in a fight and was down to 1 hitpoint. So, I took her to the nearest temple so that I could heal her. I have entered the temple, and have clicked on the priest -
    Suddenly, as I'm just about to pay for the healing, I'm taken out of the conversation screen, and see that some guy has entered the temple. The guy shouts something and looks like he's throwing something. At this point, I'm slightly confused - "just what is happening?"
    The "something" hits my Kensai for 1 hitpoint of damage.
    Game over.
    At this point, I was *very* much confused about what had just happened.
    (Of course, upon reloading I discovered the point of the whole cutscene. But I kind of wish I could have seen my face when the thing happened.)

Quote Originally Posted by fneh
    when you fart on another mudoken in exoddus and they saw PHEW and take a step back!

I am seriosuly thinking about buying an x-box for that most recent one though. it looks so cool! Does anyone know if any of the oddworld games play on a 360?
    The one for the Hex-Box (Munch's something?) was okay.

The problem for me was they made it 3D and took it away from it's platformer origins

Looking at this list, it seems it's not. Stupid Microsoft.

Hell, Morrowind isn't even on that list, and that was a massive seller in the Hex-Box world!

There are different types of funny; those that are meant to happen, and those that weren't meant to happen.

Not very funny at all, but I remember in Summoner 2 there is this one boss fight against a guy called Kroeblus. My AI teammates are so stupid. (And thus I have set the game aside.) My healer especially, she goes and attacks the guy when she has 8 hitpoints instead of hanging back and healing the rest of the party. (I could switch to controlling her, but my heavy isn't as brutal as I am and will give Kroeblus a chance to heal.)

This guy I knew was telling me about how he was playing Fable and earned the nickname "chicken kicker."
    http://smokestock.deviantart.com | http://www.fanfiction.net/u/589342/ | http://smoke-z.deviantart.com

"It's like Shakespeare with pointless murder." -gryps incedio talking about the LOK games.

The reason I was kind of avoiding games that are intentionally funny is that there's so much that's funny that if I typed out everything in a game that made me laugh out loud this thread would be a book, and I don't think anyone wants that.

That said, some games that include lots intentionally funny lines of dialog are Bloodlines, Ratchet & Clank series, Knights of the Old Republic I and II (the assassin droid has some hilarious lines and calls everyone "meatbag"), Baldur's Gate I & II, and of course any shooter where you can download mods that turn your enemies into Barney or some other undesirable character (heh heh).

In Mortal Kombat: Deception there's a character called Havik, and if he gets knocked off the top of Raiden's supertall temple, he shouts "AAAAAAAAAAAAATHIS IS GONNA SUCK!" as he plummets.

Quote Originally Posted by Umah Bloodomen
    Honorary mention of Barry from Resident Evil. My favorite bit was when he and Jill enter the dining room near the beginning and find the blood on the floor. In the most pricelessly cheesy dialogue ever he says:

"It looks like <dramatic pause> BLOOD!"

Good job, Captain Obvious.

That gets me cracking up every time.

YES!!!! That was just genuis!

Barry: "WHAT!?!?!?!? ........... WHAT is this???"

Jill: "what is it?????"

Barry: ".... blood...."

DIDN'T YOU ASK WHAT IT WAS BARRY?!?!?!

and of course the delivery of the line:

..." if you, the MASTER OF UNLOCKING(!!!!).... take it with you!"

OMG, I need to play that game again. The voice acting was just amazing

Omega: no, not the munch one. There's a newer one called Strangers wrath or something that looked really impressive. I didn't like the look of munch's oddysee at all cos they were milking abe in ANOTHER game after they already said all 5 games in the quintology will take place in the same world but won't overlap leading characters.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by fneh
    YES!!!! That was just genuis!

Barry: "WHAT!?!?!?!? ........... WHAT is this???"

Jill: "what is it?????"

Barry: ".... blood...."

DIDN'T YOU ASK WHAT IT WAS BARRY?!?!?!

and of course the delivery of the line:

..." if you, the MASTER OF UNLOCKING(!!!!).... take it with you!"

OMG, I need to play that game again. The voice acting was just amazing
    LOL! Indeed!

I could clearly understand why Jill and Barry were allowed to become elite members of the S.T.A.R.S. team. LOLOL!
    "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one;
    'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
    ~ Voltaire

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Umah Bloodomen
    LOL! Indeed!

I could clearly understand why Jill and Barry were allowed to become elite members of the S.T.A.R.S. team. LOLOL!

I must admit I was somewhat saddened when the GCN remake didn't retain this masterclass standard of voice acting... Spoiling all my fun by fixing it all! Shame on you capcom!

I think the funniest thing that I have seen in a while has to be in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. At one point in the game, you have the opportunity to sit on chairs from different points in time. My favorite has to be the modern toilet. Where else can you get a devil forge master to sit on a toilet?

ff1x:zidane in the pandemonium.Two giant eyes open and stare at him
    "Geez...feels like i'm being watched"Well done

lol, yeah, the GC remake finally gave a worthy script and acting to the original RE. I have RE for PC, though -- the original ps version -- and it's got to be appreciated for true b-movie lovers

Speaking of that, Evil Dead: Fistfull of Boomstick where you get to punt Sam all over the place, into walls, things that shred him to bits, etc. lol, and the ensuing back and forth dialogue that happens is just one of the best, most satisfying things in gaming history! lol, haha!