Thread: Deus Ex not installing properly

Deus Ex not installing properly

Deus Ex not installing properly

First off, hello all!

I am mooo. I am a gamer (obviously), I enjoy rpgs such as morrowind, Gothic 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, etc.
    I recently bought DX2, and enjoyed it so much I decided to get the first one (bought of amazon.com)
    (I already checked under Technical Support at the top and did a search)
    Now, I got the goty edition because I saw it was compatible with windows xp.
    When I install the game, everything goes fine until the very last part, where the 2 blue bars are full, and i think it says something like "uncompressing system files". anyways, nothing happens, and after a while my computer tells me that DX is just "not responding". However, the DX icon is on my computer/ start menu, so I try to run the game. But when i click play, the message "insert cd-rom into cd-rom drive" comes up *(after asking me if i want to use direct3d/ etc.). I click ok, but it tells me i have to insert the disk, even though it is already in my cd-rom drive!! I can't uninstal the game either, i get the error message
    "Uninstaller couldn't find product: Deus Ex
    History: USetupDefinitionWindows::PerformUninstallCopy <- USetupDefinition::Init <- WFilerWizard::WFilerWizard <- Setup"

I think this is because i quit the installer when it wasn't responding.
    Help please,
    thankyou

It's a problem with how they burned the CD.

The usual solution: Copy the entire contents of the CD to a temporary folder on your hard drive, and run setup.exe from that folder.

This usually solves the problem.

Note that DX was not made for XP, and although it will most likely run, some areas are prone to lockups and crashes.

Save often, and don't rely on quick save alone.
    Catman

you said temporary folder- so once i install the game, I can delete all the cd files (copied from cd) from my computer?

ok. I downloaded Daemon Tools and ISO recored (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...t=Daemon+Tools), and tried to install the game from my computer, but i still have the same problem:
    when the 2 bars are full, the Deus Ex setup stops responding and on the part that tells you what it is doing, it says:

"Uncompressing system data files..."

It never finishes installing though... what can I do?

Use simple copy and paste.

And yes, you can delete the files once its installed.
    Catman

Originally Posted by mooo
    First off, hello all!

I am mooo. I am a gamer (obviously), I enjoy rpgs such as morrowind, Gothic 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, etc.
    I recently bought DX2, and enjoyed it so much I decided to get the first one (bought of amazon.com)
    (I already checked under Technical Support at the top and did a search)
    Now, I got the goty edition because I saw it was compatible with windows xp.
    When I install the game, everything goes fine until the very last part, where the 2 blue bars are full, and i think it says something like "uncompressing system files". anyways, nothing happens, and after a while my computer tells me that DX is just "not responding". However, the DX icon is on my computer/ start menu, so I try to run the game. But when i click play, the message "insert cd-rom into cd-rom drive" comes up *(after asking me if i want to use direct3d/ etc.). I click ok, but it tells me i have to insert the disk, even though it is already in my cd-rom drive!! I can't uninstal the game either, i get the error message
    "Uninstaller couldn't find product: Deus Ex
    History: USetupDefinitionWindows::PerformUninstallCopy <- USetupDefinition::Init <- WFilerWizard::WFilerWizard <- Setup"

I think this is because i quit the installer when it wasn't responding.
    Help please,
    thankyou
    Hi all!
    I know this is a very old topic but I have the same problem and was wondering if someone could help me with it.

Originally Posted by Catman
    It's a problem with how they burned the CD.

The usual solution: Copy the entire contents of the CD to a temporary folder on your hard drive, and run setup.exe from that folder.

This usually solves the problem.

Note that DX was not made for XP, and although it will most likely run, some areas are prone to lockups and crashes.

Save often, and don't rely on quick save alone.
    I've tried that but it doesn't help, It still freezes when it starts to uncompress the system files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'd suggest trying to install on a different computer to make sure the CD isn't damaged.

I had the same problem, but on Windows Vista.

You need to successfully install a fully functional copy of DX on a different computer. Back-up the entire DeusEx Directory from your C: Drive onto external media (i.e., external HDD, CD, or DVD). Then, copy the entire directory onto your new Computer's C: Drive. DX will work now, at least this worked for me. You may have to change the CdPath: lines.

First, open the DeusEx.ini file at C:\DeusEx\System.

Go to line:

[Engine.Engine]
    CdPath=D:

You need to set CdPath to whatever drive letter your CDROM is. Mine is 'D:'.

Also, open Default.ini at C:\DeusEx\System.

Go to line:

[Engine.Engine]
    CdPath=D:

Change the CdPath here also.

Luckily, I backed-up my entire DeusEx Directory from my old XP computer, on which DX worked fine. I recommend that you all do this when you get DX to work properly.

PEACE Alwayz |/

Daedalus