Thread: "Thief Gold" mission briefing crash

"Thief Gold" mission briefing crash

Rolleyes "Thief Gold" mission briefing crash

I'm having trouble watching the intro movie to the third mission (the Bonehoard) in Thief Gold. Every time I try to watch it, the game crashes immediately after the onscreen text reads "And when learns the Lord of this, he sends his beastesses unto the manfools..." I checked the various guidelines in the FAQ section of ttlg.com for fixing problems with watching movies, including installing the video codex, applying Scrooge's permanent movie fix, running the regsvr32 "c:\your\path\to\thief\LGVID.AX" command and downloading the patch from the Microsoft site, but none of these options have done the trick. Oddly enough, this did not happen with the intro movie to the game or any of the missions before the third mission. Is there anything else I could do to permanently fix the problem? Thank you in advance.

I don't know. For a start, try going into the movies folder and double clicking on the AVI file for the third mission (and some others) and see if the Bonehoard movie plays that way. If it doesn't play all the way through, you may have a corrupt file, so you could copy another from the install disk, or reinstall. If it does work with a double click, then I would suggest hitting ESC when the movie first starts. If you do this before the crash occurs, the ESC should bypass the movie. Then you can play on. To find out more, hit CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-END simulataneously to skip to the end of Bonehoard, and see if the fourth movie plays. I am wondering what makes the Bonehoard movie unique, so these tests may shed some light on that.

Also, if you don't pin it down this way, tell us what OS and Service Pack and what version of Direct X you have installed.

Big Grin Movie problem

Weird! I followed your suggestion, and when I double-click the movie it crashes in the same spot. It must be that particular file, which is the good news. I'll see if I can get an uncorrupted version from the disk like you said. Thanks again!

Exclamation Problem on Disk

I checked Disk #2 (where all the mission intros are) and it seems the file on the disk itself is also corrupted, though none of the others are. Is there any other source from which I can download the movie?

P.S. Sorry for the double-post

Send me an e-mail with the name of the file, and I will e-mail a good one back to you.

Unhappy Movie Crash

I appreciate you sending me the new file; the bad news is, it still crashes in the same spot despite my having replaced the old one with it. First the Fat Boys break up, and now this. That's what happens when there aren't any Keepers to preserve the balance.

Apologies for yet ANOTHER double-post...

The movie works now. I was suddenly reminded of something you said about which service pack I have, and there was an item in the FAQ about service packs. I downloaded the indicated file and now everything's cool, so I'm off to steal the horn of Quintus. I'm clearly not too fluent in computer terminology, so I'll just blame the zombies in the game for all the technical issues I've been having and whack them repeatedly and unnecessarily with both sword and blackjack.

Great. Glad you got it working. I guess there was nothing wrong with the old file.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I've started having the exact same problem, and this was one of the few links that Google returned to me.

If Herrix is still around, and he or anyone else could tell me exactly what he did to get it working, I'd appreciate it.

I've tried to fix the video, and everything I've thrown at it seems to crash as soon as it hits the bad part. I did manage to get it working by using TMPGENC, but the game doesn't resize the video like it does the others. Just displays a small window in the upper-left corner of the screen.