Thread: Forum feature idea

Question Forum feature idea

I'm not sure if this should be PMed to a mod or admin, but.... I was wondering if it would be possible to make it so if you edit the first post of "your thread" then you could choose to lock it. I've seen this on some other forums and was wondering why this one doesn't have it. I thought it would be nice incase a person felt as though their thread was boring or just done with a question or something then it could be locked.

I'm not trying to make a big deal about this, but I would like to understand why we don't have it.

Thank you!

If I remember correctly it's to prevent abuse of it.

It could be so that someone could then close the thread simply because he/she doesn't like the answer.

And basicly when a thread isn't interesting anymore or the question is answered it dies of it's own.

What is the problem if she/he doesn't like an answer?

It's the thread owners fault if he/she closes it.

Actually, you can delete the threads that you started. (At least you used to be able to.)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke_Z
    Actually, you can delete the threads that you started. (At least you used to be able to.)
    You still can. Simply mark the first post to be deleted and then press the Delete this message button.

As @m mentioned earlier, when interest in a thread is lost, it dies. Some manage to be resurrected if an individual has a similar inquiry and I personally emphasize older threads being used to cut down on repetitive topics, while others are gone for good (metaphorically speaking; they're either archived or still searchable if you look hard enough - just not contributed to).

The general member populace doesn't need this as mentioned above, as it will be abused. Such a feature is best suited for the staff.

Unless there has been a change, the opening poster can delete the entire thread by deleting the first (opening post) in any topic they started.

If you can delete your own thread, then why not allow them to close it? It makes it easier for someone to close it rather than to totally get rid of it for their own reason.

You must also bear in mind that what you're suggesting is not common practise on most forums.

Personally (as owner, co-admin, and mod of several forums) it's a horrible idea. Users will close threads out of spite - and then will want more power, and more, until each member is a mini-Mod.

Also, why would you want such a feature?

As already stated, threads just die out of their own accord. If potential members come here from search engines trying to find an answer to a question - they can't even post in threads because it's closed.

Or even existing members wanting to bring life back to a dead thread can't - because it's locked.

It's a bad idea.

I thought it would of been good for somethings. It could eliminate more pointless posts in a thread that has been answered of all questions. I'm not against questions in threads but some people over do it. Even the new forum memebers can sometimes post the samething in multiple old threads for the hell of it.

I understand what your talking about. Thanks for the info all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by marker227
    It could eliminate more pointless posts in a thread that has been answered of all questions.
    And thats why we have mods

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by theBlackman
    Unless there has been a change, the opening poster can delete the entire thread by deleting the first (opening post) in any topic they started.
    No change (which Smoke_Z and I attempted to illustrate in our posts). My apologies if my post was a bit unclear (which looking back on it, it appears to be).

marker227 ~ Omega sums it up rather nicely. What you're suggesting is in fact discouraging an open atmosphere for discussion. About the only discussion that should be discouraged is unconstructive discussion (e.g. discussion that infringes on our TOU). Other threads are doing no harm in the long-run.

Would this mean you could ask a mod/admin to close your thread if you'd like? Or would you need a good reason to have it done?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by marker227
    Would this mean you could ask a mod/admin to close your thread if you'd like? Or would you need a good reason to have it done?
    I have been asked by various members to close their threads at times in the past. I'd only do so if the thread was totally lost (otherwise I clean out the few unconstructive posts and let the discussion continue forth as with a warning to keep it constructive) and not just because they wanted it closed because they were "done" or "bored" with it.

IMO, the staff has been able to keep a good eye on things to catch problematic threads/posts before they get to the point of "no-return", so the number of closed threads has decreased.

Requesting a thread to be closed for any reason is a bit pointless as it's ultimately left up to us whether or not such action should be taken. And of course, I'd say 8 times out of 10, the thread can be spared closure with a little post pruning here and there.

just a new feature.

why not add a new feature call other games discussion.

i mean a new board "Other games discussion"

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ycdeo
    why not add a new feature call other games discussion.

i mean a new board "Other games discussion"
    Because non-Eidos games are typically discussed in the General Discussion area (which you're currently participating in).

Cool

Not a good idea, IMO.

This is a discussion forum for Eidos Interactive. Surely debates concerning non-Eidos Interactive related games are more appropriately discussed at the relevant forums? Personally I'd go so far as to say promoting non-Eidos Interactive games should be kept at a minimum if not even such threads be closed.

no at times, u could get people from other forums to help u. some are more capable. and they may be extra help.

but its just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar
    ...if not even such threads be closed.
    and who will take the heat for that. you?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar
    This is a discussion forum for Eidos Interactive. Surely debates concerning non-Eidos Interactive related games are more appropriately discussed at the relevant forums? Personally I'd go so far as to say promoting non-Eidos Interactive games should be kept at a minimum if not even such threads be closed.
    While I respect your opinion, perhaps you should recall the forum description of the Eidos General Discussion area:

This is a place to talk about all things not related to specific Eidos games. Get to know the members of the community and engage in conversation about anything you want! (As long as it’s within the Eidos Terms of Use…)
    At no time (that I can recall) has game discussion (of any kind) been discouraged here (back when GM was present and even now as MattD and co. are present). I visit other communities (however, don't participate much due to lack of time), and others visit and participate in other communities. There's been no harm in sharing our experiences here (unless of course it involves melodrama ).

Lest we not forget the rather constructive threads regarding: Guild Wars, Warcraft, X-Men Legends I & II, Prince of Persia, GTA, The Sims, American McGee's Alice, etc. just to name a few.

no at times, u could get people from other forums to help u. some are more capable. and they may be extra help.
    If you're speaking of other company developers and/or other CSR's (Customer Support/Service Representatives) of other companies, then Nerevar's notion of "visiting other forums" would be applicable. If you want your OFF's (other forum-friends) to help you, there's no stopping them from registering here to participate in a thread you create on an Eidos or non-Eidos game and no stopping you from visiting an non-Eidos game's home forum for your "more capable" support.
    "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one;
    'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
    ~ Voltaire

should add more smiles that we can use on the message board.

should add more smiles that we can use on the message board.
    Should stop making inane suggestions.

What makes it insane?

Try a search for all posts by ycd... then re-read what I actually said, not what you think I said.

Oh, I see now what you meant.