Thread: Did you like this game?

Did you like this game?

Now I find this game really important to the series. But in all honesty it's rated pretty low on my KH list. What with the Card system and all. My favorite part out of this game is being able to play as Riku, but it's still rated pretty low.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who thinks this?

I admit the card system was a little difficult to get used to (it seems farfetched that I'm limited to how many times I can actually do simple attacks), but the story is so friggin' amazing and in my honest opionion, incredibly important. Aside from actual plot relevance, it gives a lot of insight on Riku's POV of things. It made me appreciate how much he suffered (seriously, "Ansem's" such a creeper, all that mind ******** X_x) and how much he was willing to do for his friends. I know many people won't agree, but for me, I've been sticking with the KH series first for the story, and then the gameplay.

My KH "importance ranking" goes like this:

KH1
    KH2
    BbS, Re:CoM
    KH3D
    KH 358/2 Days
    KH Re:Coded

For me, CoM ties with BbS in importance (also, I liked KH2 more than KH1, but it's hard to knock the game that started the series from #1 importance, lol

The card gameplay was a pain in the *** when I was younger, especially for Sora's story. Now, I understand it all better (and can remember all of the controls haha), and I like the game much more. While CoM was important, it remains a filler game. However, it really does have more effect on the overall storyline than KHI does. Really, the only worlds that effected the overarching storyline in KHI were Destiny Islands, Monstro, Hollow Bastion, and End of the World. My KH "importance ranking" is rather different than new_traditions's

BBS (can't really have a deep story without having a grasp on the villain)
    DDD (can't say why without spoiling it)
    KHII (added depth to the story, expanded further on Nobodies, explained DiZ)
    CoM (introduced Nobodies, DiZ, the notion that Darkness isn't evil, gave us insight on Riku)
    Days (explained a lot about Roxas and Axel, introduced Xion who will become important in KHIII)
    KHI (it really didn't have that much of an effect on the overall storyline, when you think about it)
    Coded (only the ending and secret ending were important to the storyline, although Maleficent's role in this may become important in DDD)

Originally Posted by imported_John
    Now I find this game really important to the series. But in all honesty it's rated pretty low on my KH list. What with the Card system and all. My favorite part out of this game is being able to play as Riku, but it's still rated pretty low.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who thinks this?
    I agree with you about the card system but at least the story was very good and you can play as Riku and his heartless form.

I really enjoyed this game a lot. I actually like it better than the other handheld titles (excluding Birth by Sleep due to lack of playing). I also think it's really important to the series. I just wish it had been on the ps2 to start with instead of the Gameboy.

I played this a long time ago but I enjoyed every moment of it! =D I think you should give it a go. If your a fan of the KH series this game should provide a familiar feel and nostalgia that the past titles offered (:

I really like the KH chain of memories i just didnt like the way we had to use cards to make special move and attack but i love the story line since it goes from sora to riku

I think if the card system wasn't portrayed as "cards", there would be more tolerance for it. Unfortunately, when people hear "cards", they might think "Yu-Gi-Oh!".

I do hope that the "original trilogy" gets an HD version for PS3/Vita, and that the FINAL MIX versions of KH and II are included (especially the latter, for more traditional fights with COM's Org. members). Further, I'd like to see Re:CoM's cutscenes redone in real-time; they look so blurry in comparison, just like God of War's does, especially in GoW Collection.

However, I think the GBA version has PS2 beat on the camera. I don't know whose idea it was to take it off the shoulder buttons, but when I need to be spamming X, I have to run around mad to get the cmaera to cooperate on auto-pilot. The new sleights were interesting, though, with the sprawling battle areas.

Yeah , I like the card system in COM , people should get use to it , I think it is balance , you have to think before you attack it make the game more challenge , you can just spam skill like carzy

Not a big fan of the card system. I keep getting crap 1-4 cards from the Moogles, even at higher levels. Ran out of cards really frequently because I had to spam tripling in order to keep enemies from blocking my attacks.

Wasn't super fond of the GBA version, but I had emulated it and it didn't run great, so that's more to blame. When it came out with Final Mix+ though, I loved playing through it. The combat is a ton of fun and the rooms were a lot more diverse in the remake.

Pretty much. It got a bit repetitive at some parts.

I didn't get to finish Reverse/Rebirth mode though. My GBA cartridge decided to delete my data suddenly.

It's alright. The card system didn't bother me that much to be honest. I just saw it as one of those restrictions that games have to make it more challenging.

it's alright, the card system was kind of confusing,and my disc kept on freezing during major battles like the ones with larxene; but other than that,my favorite thing about it is axel's quarrelling scene with marluxia, also is riku playable in only the GBA version? becuase if so that would kind of been a disappointment

Originally Posted by imported_thomas
    it's alright, the card system was kind of confusing,and my disc kept on freezing during major battles like the ones with larxene; but other than that,my favorite thing about it is axel's quarrelling scene with marluxia, also is riku playable in only the GBA version? becuase if so that would kind of been a disappointment
    Riku's mode is available in both the GBA and PS2 versions. But the PS2 version gives him more sleights and a "duel mode" to use against enemies.
    One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

Originally Posted by Zench
    Originally Posted by imported_thomas

Riku's mode is available in both the GBA and PS2 versions. But the PS2 version gives him more sleights and a "duel mode" to use against enemies.

that's great to know,perhaps, if i can beat sora's story i could unlock riku's side of it.

i loved the ps2 version. i have yet to play the GBA version though.

I had both the GameBoy Advance version and the PS2 remake, and I thoroughly enjoyed both. Since it was my second Kingdom Hearts game, I wasn't discouraged with how different the card battle system was. I liked micromanaging the cards and experimenting with different deck strategies. That, and I liked how many of the bosses seemed to be a real "competency test" for your grasp of the mechanics and the effectiveness of your deck. Sometimes I had to back off and diversify my deck before proceeding.

I actually really loved Chain of Memories and Re:Chain of Memories. There was much more strategy into battling and we got to see a much more darker side of Sora.

I loved the game! Reverse/Rebirth was awesome and it was a rare sight to see Sora in a darker nature on a Nintendo system!

Originally Posted by ZERORAPTOR
    Not a big fan of the card system. I keep getting crap 1-4 cards from the Moogles, even at higher levels. Ran out of cards really frequently because I had to spam tripling in order to keep enemies from blocking my attacks.
    ya just didnt know how to pace it out in battle

Chain of Memories is my second favorite Kingdom Hearts title, Below Birth By Sleep and Above the Original Kingdom Hearts. I've found a handy rule for deciding whether or not you'll either love or hate Chain of Memories:

- If you find yourself mashing the "A" button through the game, you're going to hate it.

- If you find yourself mashing the "L" and "R" buttons through the game, you're going to love it.

In addition, if you find yourself new to the series and have just gotten through the first game and want to know if you would like this one too:

- If your favorite choice for the first game is +Sword; -Staff, then you are going to hate this game.

- If your favorite choice for the first game is +Staff; -Sword, then you are going to love this game.

Basically, anyone who thinks "Oh this is a kingdom hearts game, I'm just going to mash the attack button over and over and in a few hours I'll have beaten the game" is going to be sorely disappointed. Chain of Memories' combat when used correctly is an amazing and complex experience. You will pretty much constantly be getting the GAME OVER screen if you try to mash "A," and nobody likes to lose.

I just finished a run of this game on both Sora's and Riku's stories without once increasing my HP for either of them. It was one of the most fun games I had ever played.