Thread: The Insectoids

The Insectoids

I have been thinking about he insectoid demons recently.
    First, unlike most other demons, they appear to possess some level of intelligence, like cooperating with the hylden.
    Second, there were those pods in the canyons.

I believe that the pillars have been destroyed and rebuilt many times, all for the purpose of imprisoning any being that can defy the wheel of fate indefinitely, through some sort of immortality.

I believe That the insectoids are the race imprisoned just before the hylden were. This would make them more insane and deformed than the hylden, but not as much as the other demons. The pods, I believe, contained a gestating demon, made of regurgitated human flesh. When the demon dies it's essence is transfered to the pod, and it emerges fully developed.

Somewhat like Sammael in Hellboy, or the insectoid race on Lexx.

They`re just another type of demon who used to live with the other demons in the demon realm.

They don`t seem really that intelligent though.

I don't really see why you say they're more intelligent than the other demons. The demons in Soul Reaver 2 could actually talk, while I don't remember the insectiod ones ever talking. I also don't really see what's so surprising about them being insectiod. There's all sorts of creatures on this planet already, so what's so hard to believe about a variety in the Demon Dimension too?

They`re just another type of demon who used to live with the other demons in the demon realm.
    I think all the demons started off in the material realm.

And the green demon were considerably smarter.
    Average demons require magic to control them, where as the insectoids seemed cappable of following commands from average hylden.

And demons only spoke under the power of a plannar.

First off, I think that the demons from SR2 are capable of speaking in their own right. Where do you get the idea that someone was possessing those demons and speaking through them? Secondly, if the insectoid demons blindly follow commands, whereas the other demons require magic to restrain them, that seems to imply that the other demons are more rebellious while the insectoid demons have been tamed.

The lesser demons seemed capablle of distingwishing friend from foe, killing threatening Sarafan and vampires, while cooperating with hylden and eachother. All other demons seem to attack indescriminently.

The only time when a demon spoke was during the rule of the sarafan cirle of the nine, during which the binding was vary strong, all demons require plannar help to cross into material at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by soothsayer
    The lesser demons seemed capablle of distingwishing friend from foe, killing threatening Sarafan and vampires, while cooperating with hylden and eachother. All other demons seem to attack indescriminently.

The only time when a demon spoke was during the rule of the sarafan cirle of the nine, during which the binding was vary strong, all demons require plannar help to cross into material at this point.
    Well, they yell "Raziel!" in the damned Nosgoth too. It seems to me that there are different types of demons, not only physically different, but also levels of intelligence. The demons in Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance seem smart enough to talk, it's hard to tell if the ones in Blood Omen are very smart (but I think they're as smart as the ones in Soul Reaver 2), and then the ones in Blood Omen 2 seem like they're more beast like and need to be tamed. I'm not really sure if the insectiod ones are just like attack dogs or as smart as the Soul Reaver 2 ones though.

Yeah, those black demons were vary stupid.

I recently found, in the avernus hylden POV mural, what apears to be an insectoid demon in the lower left corner.

Maybe they were the pets of the hylden, and were imprisoned along side them.

They do look fairly Hyldenish, the insect thingies do. I would expect that the insectoids and the hylden share something, while the demons are different. Maybe the insectoids are hylden children, or an offshoot of early cloning experiments.