Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Hate Sharks

I've seen that picture at snopes.com-site that debunks urban myths. Yes, it was doctored, but very cleverly. In fact it was an amalgam of 2 separate pictures, one of a shark leaping out of the water, one of a man climbing up a ladder into the helicopter.

Perhaps it was removed cause the mods thought Matt would die of a heart attack if he saw it?

Matt, maybe you should try visiting an aquarium/sealife centre or somesuch thing if there's one near you, and meet some small, non threatening sharks. Some of them are quite cute

Great Whites can jump several feet out of the water!
    It's awesome to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Xxx_Lara_xxX
    In this case, you use your dive knife to stab the shark in the eye and it will let go. How do I know this? Well, I don't think any animal would keep eating after losing an eye. I will admit I have never personally tried this method
    I think eye stabbings are the only method to survive a shark attack. Although I have herd punching a shark in the side of its head will also work. Its in the Tomb Raider 2 DVD Extras.

Quote Originally Posted by naraku
    I think eye stabbings are the only method to survive a shark attack. Although I have herd punching a shark in the side of its head will also work. Its in the Tomb Raider 2 DVD Extras.

The only known method is hitting them in the snout!
    Special scales go over their eyes to protect them from eye injury when they go after their prey so stabbing them in the eye would probabley be pointless!

Ok, so we can all agree that the water levels in TR are no walk in the park. Especially ones with sharks in them but Matt, If you're afraid of sharks all the more reason you should love TR games with sharks in them. Cause it gives you the chance to blow the sharks away.

I find it quite therapeutic after watching shark horror movies, then I go back to play TR 2 and kill'em while saying take that Jaws! Oh, you want so of this too? BANG, BANG, BANG.

Not that I hate sharks, but lets face it if any of us were being attacked by sharks we'd probably die not of the sharks bite but of fear.

Still I'd rather have more sharks than that Damn Leviathan in AOD. I emptied all my ammo shooting it! Heck I even tried feeding it and it still came after me. I died like a million times before I got passed him.

And don't get me started on those Paranhas in TR3.

Yeah,those parahnas are annoying!

i have seen open water,deep blue sea,jaws,jaws2,and alot of documetays on them
    i love open water i was kidda foe the girl at the end and didnt she look a lot like chalize thermon

the fear

i am 22 years old and i am scared of sharks and the underwaterbits, i always give my sister the controller when we play it for those parts, what spins me out is that if i new there was nothing in the water i would probably be splashing around in the game all day cos i think its cool but i just cant handle it!!!!!!, that part on tr1 in st francis folly where there is a croc in the water ..... i would rather skip the level then spend a few mnis screaming all the way across the pool with that thing chomping behind me argggggg....

Thumbs Down

Sharks in the TR series is like the T-rex, ya gotta have em.

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by blue
    i am 22 years old and i am scared of sharks and the underwaterbits, i always give my sister the controller when we play it for those parts, what spins me out is that if i new there was nothing in the water i would probably be splashing around in the game all day cos i think its cool but i just cant handle it!!!!!!, that part on tr1 in st francis folly where there is a croc in the water ..... i would rather skip the level then spend a few mnis screaming all the way across the pool with that thing chomping behind me argggggg....
    Its only natural to wet your pants in such a situation. There is no reason to feel ashamed about it

Quote Originally Posted by Xxx_Lara_xxX
    Then you die.

Then sing whilst dying "Bring me to life". I bet every one knows that!

But the thing is to overcome your fear, Matt and Blue, you too. Hey, really, it's easy; but let me speak your tongue(s).

As far as I'm concerned, humans can be scared of many things, and later laugh when they grow up. It is 100% natural, and you shouldn't feel out of the world and alieny (that is if you do). Everyone has his or her own faults, but one shouldn't try to accept them, I don't think so. We should try to improve them, so that the other couldn't even guess it's there.

Determination can bring one anything , but I lay special emphasis on determination and not overconfidence. Open up a TR game, a level with the shark. Relax, no popped open eyes or arched brows; and no quivering lips and trembling hands. Take a deep slow breath and metally prepare yourself, you can beat it. The good thing about games is that the characters aren't real. I believe that it is our love for Lara that we consider her real. Holster a harpoon gun or if you don't have it, lure it out to a platform and then kill it. Do it once, twice, thrice, force yourself to do it. Practise it, and eventually, you will come over your fear.

i love the underwater sequences.there my fave.and sharks rock.
    i saw loads of tiger sharks in portugal in an water park and they were very scary.i love them.
    and lara always looks so nice underwater.really fluid moving

fear

I hate the sharks. I really do hope they're not in Legend. I dont like animals in the water very much at all, come to think about it. that includes the alligators. argg. so creepy. I hated taking Lara into those big vats full of water in the London levels on TR3, I think that's where they were. I hate big pools of water. So creepy. So, I'm still hoping that there wont be underwater creatures in Legend, 'cause I'll likely be playing by meself again and there won't be anyone to throw the control to, hehe. I think I'll still buy Legend though, try not to be such a pansy and just deal with the huge monsters of the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitofEden
    I hate the sharks. I really do hope they're not in Legend. I dont like animals in the water very much at all, come to think about it. that includes the alligators. argg. so creepy. I hated taking Lara into those big vats full of water in the London levels on TR3, I think that's where they were. I hate big pools of water. So creepy. So, I'm still hoping that there wont be underwater creatures in Legend, 'cause I'll likely be playing by meself again and there won't be anyone to throw the control to, hehe. I think I'll still buy Legend though, try not to be such a pansy and just deal with the huge monsters of the ocean.

And my above stated lecture goes for you TOO! C'mon people, I want you to enjoy Legend without being afraid. Now's the time, prepare yourselves.

I don't really understand something.Let me see if I can articulate what I want to say; Sharks are scary,even if you know about them. Alligators are the same way. Your fear is justifiable but in a game?
    I mean I'll play a RE games and get terrified but this is one of the reasons why I play RE. Now when you're in the water with Great Whites and you scurry to your destination or decide to fight them either way your hearts pounding and your adrenalin is flowing,ooooooooooohhhh what a rush!!!!
    Isn't this why we play these types of games?

Cool

I love the sharks......it was the piranha schools I had a rough time with. There was no defense or offense except swim and die!

The big cats in Unfinished Business are the scariest, but in a good way. Those things just jump out of nowhere .
    signature image
    ...previously known as "Mum"

Quote Originally Posted by CatSuit&Ponytail
    I love the sharks......it was the piranha schools I had a rough time with. There was no defense or offense except swim and die!
    The first time I experienced these, I thought that they were such pretty beautiful fish, oh I'd like to swim through them. I dived, with the most graceful swan-dive I could bid Lara to perform. Those piranhas killed me, and I was soooo sad! + ANGRY! (at my stupidity)

The big cats in Unfinished Business are the scariest, but in a good way. Those things just jump out of nowhere
    Big cats?! Oh God!!!

I never played it, but I remember seeing BIG scorpians in a Last Revelation screenshot, somewhere. In Legend, we sould have big huge baboons attacking Lara

This thread has become a very long running joke. Sorry, but I just cannot believe that anybody is genuinely scared of a blocky, pixelated shark in a game. In real life, yes, fine, I could understand. I wouldn't want to come face to face with a shark either. But in a game with primitive graphics (by today's standards)? Nah, sorry, I really don't believe it. I think Matt was just seeing what our reactions would be. Still, it made for an entertaining thread.

I hated the underwater bits mainly because they were tedious, and that stupid harpoon gun thing was far too slow to be exciting. So I'm hoping Legend doesn't have any prolonged underwater sequences.

I think that if they do have underwater sequences in Legend, they will do it right. I've always wanted Lara to have some real scuba gear with an air tank. I know she technically had something like that in Chronicles on the German sub, but it broke before I got to have any real fun with it. Anyhow, hopefully something like that will appear in Legend if there are any prolonged underwater sequences And I completely agree that the harpoon gun was too slow and clumsy to be any fun.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mum
    The big cats in Unfinished Business are the scariest, but in a good way. Those things just jump out of nowhere .
    Just like real ones.

i found tomb raider 3 at rite aid for only 4 dollars and i think im going to get it but i want to see if there are sharks also can someone tell me what tomb raider 3 is about also thanks

Lightbulb Sharks in Tomb Raider

Well the idea, I think, is that they (sharks) are SUPPOSED to scare you, even just a little bit, and hopefully a whole lot ! !

However it would certainly help if there was a way to take care of them. Those spear-guns were almost useless, and really the only effective way to deal with Mr. Shark was to climb out of the water somewhere and shoot him with pistols or a rocket or something.

There is a weapon in use by people who actually HUNT sharks that consists of a stick with a very short gun on the end of it. You load it with a 12-gauge shell, and when Mr. Shark comes around you put the stick with the business end on his head and he loses his mind, because his head explodes.

So there is a way to really get sharks and turn them into steaks for the barbie, but you won't find it in any Tomb Raider.

Unless, of course, the next underwater level allows Lara the use of a Sharkstick . . . . (Hint, Hint)

i hate sharks myself mate but they are fun in games so i hope they make them into Legend

Well, I don't know why games scare me and other people so much... but it isn't about the graphics being clunky. It's because you care about Lara, and you are focussing on a screen, what happens to Lara happens to you. I always panic with sharks and things, as it is a natural instinct to seek higher ground... call me pathetic, but it just seems less of a game and more of a fight for survival. Also, Doom 3 is pretty freaky, but I have got halfway Which is something. Roll out the sharks !!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast