Thread: Planting Trees

Planting Trees

Planting Trees

Finally, my Startopia is okay without a lot of crashes. I'm really getting into this game now.

One thing I don't get though: how do you transplant trees from the biodeck to the entertainment deck? I've tried putting plants into pots, but no luck.

It depends where you place them. For some reason StarTopia will not allow you to place trees in pots IN ROOMS. I'm not sure if this is because you should place the pots from the room's build menu, as I generally bung Art in rooms... Place the pots on the deck, then place the trees in the pots.

For floorspace in rooms, place Art geared towards the species. For rooms everyone uses place art everyone likes - the Uplanter and Gnmerich are appreciated by all, though if you really do have a lot of floorspace the Robot Heaven and Planetscape are a good idea. You'll find Uplanters, Robot Heavens and Planetscapes are only sold by Arona, and there is a 1 in 20 chance he will have any one of them. You may want to edit his csv file in the missions/00 folder - Arona001.csv is the one to watch. Use any spreadsheet program, but take care to save it as a CSV! You can edit these files in text editors, but study the format until you are sure you understand it - it's simple enough - before you make any changes.

Interestingly, if you place plants in pots on the biodeck you will find they grow at normal rate, sticking up out of the ground below the pot. Pots increase the grow rate, you see.

Good to know you're getting into it. Can't wait to see you try and beat Mission 7 - it has to be the hardest in the game!

Hi, I'm only playing sandbox for the time being, so it'll probably take a while until I reach Mission 7.

As for pots in rooms, it dawned on me as well that plants couldn't be put there, however they should since I've seen this on fansite screenshots. Not that I understand why you should have pots from the room build menu when you can't even have anything growing in them. It's not a matter of placing the pots from the build menu or not either.
    By the way, I can't get the plants to stick in the corridors either, even though they show a blue silouette on pots which implies it ought to be possible.

Maybe it's patch related? I'm using 1.01 now (at least it says so while loading), since I bought my game from Sold Out and it included the patch from disc.

So, you're into modding the game? Wait and I'll jump right over to the thread you started...

Sounds like you are taking too long to er... pot the plants. I know if I grab five plants from biodeck at once, plop down five pots around the lower decks, I usually cannot pot the fifth plant. So try planting quickly, pre-placing pots before you buffer plants etc.

You can plant the smallest plants in pots in rooms, but not trees. Likewise you need a certain amount of free deck space to plant really large trees. I think its a bounding box type limitation.

I always assumed that you could not plant trees in buildings because buildings have a roof on them (not draw so you can see the peeps inside), trees are just too tall to fit in houses.

Oh yeah... I think MF played around with cutaway views for a bit, but decided such a system would be too difficult to implement. Or it could be the floorspace requirement - I'm pretty sure trees need a section of floor free in all directions, usually not a problem on the actual deck due to the one space of 'walkway' around all buildings. I generally just put shrubs in rooms, especially in Labs - Turakken move about so much that those tiny +6 mind bonuses really start to stack up.

Thanks, I can plant trees now. Indeed, it only needed to be placed in a free in all directions floor section.

Originally Posted by Overmind
    Or it could be the floorspace requirement - I'm pretty sure trees need a section of floor free in all directions, usually not a problem on the actual deck due to the one space of 'walkway' around all buildings. I generally just put shrubs in rooms, especially in Labs - Turakken move about so much that those tiny +6 mind bonuses really start to stack up.
    Give the man a lollipop! Exactly correct. Trees in biopots were added quite late on, and calculating floorspace inside rooms is kinda complex for shapes bigger than one tile. Also, there's pathfinding problems - you can't put furniture where it would block the route to other furniture. So furntiure placement is surprisingly complex. IIRC (this is five years ago now!), the problem is that when you place the POT, you're allowed to put it in a particular place, but then it has to check again when placing the TREE. But trees aren't furniture, pots are, so trees don't automatically have the right space-checking code.

Whereas if we only allowed trees on the deck, we just have to change the deck code, and there's no pathfinding check on the deck, because you just can't put buildings that close together. I have a feeling peeps just walk through trees if you put them too close together!

toMF.

Having tested this I can confirm that peeps walk through trees.

And thanks for the lollipop, Tom. How did you know lemon was my favourite?

--
    Overmind
    Yetucyun Guild Development Team