Thread: Question on setting waypoints

Question on setting waypoints

Question Question on setting waypoints

It took me awhile before I realized how I could set waypoints during a land battle, but now that I know how, I use waypoints religiously. For those of you who don't know, or haven't figured it out yet, you hold the Ctrl key down while right-clicking the point on the field you want the selected units to go. While setting a waypoint, you can hold the right mouse button and rotate the green inlay that represents the selected units to the direction you want the troops to face (just like when doing a normal, immediate move order) when they get to the waypoint.

I have a little problem, though. I sometimes can't seem to get the group of units I'm setting a waypoint for to face the direction I want them to when they reach the waypoint. For example, I set waypoint A and waypoint B. Waypoint A is the immediate point to which I want the troops to go. I use the right-click --> rotation trick mentioned above, and this seems to work, because I'm actually not holding Ctrl since it's the immediate move order. When I'm setting Waypoint B, (holding Ctrl now to set the waypoint) I rotate the inlay around, say about 90 degrees, because I want the troops to turn and face a different direction when they get to Waypoint B. The waypoint gets set, but the troops don't turn. They remain in the direction they are marching when they arrive at Waypoint B. Now, in this same scenario, if I set a third waypoint, Waypoint C, then they do turn when they arrive to Waypoint B in order to march towards Waypoint C. When the troops arrive at Waypoint C, they do face sort of in the direction that I set the green inlay when setting Waypoint C, but still slightly off.

Anyone have any tips for me on this?

Thanks,
    cueshot

I seem to remember something about being able to make your soldiers march in column formation then when they reach destination to change to line formation facing a direction you want. I think it is in the manual though not sure (bad memory). Perhaps you could try that. Meaning if you know what I am talking about use it to move the troops and perhaps they will do so as you please.
    Other way would be to always set an extra destination point at the same (or just about, a few pixels away), and when your troops reach the second to last point cancel their move.

Not sure if this fixes your question but to make your regiments FACE in a direction move the cursor in the direction you need and press the "N" key.

I think that's right but it is from memory

Not sure if this fixes your question but to make your regiments FACE in a direction move the cursor in the direction you need and press the "N" key.

I think that's right but it is from memory
    Not quite. I already know about that command. Unless that is queueable, I would have to wait and watch for the group of troops to get to the waypoint and then do that command to make them change face. Waiting and watching, in some scenarios, defeats the purpose of waypoints. I may have 2 or 3 groups of units that I'm setting waypoints for. Besides, when using the "N" key to turn face, the units just turn in place instead of turning and then moving to line back up in the formation I've set for the group.

I need the troops to automatically turn face and stay in formation when they arrive at their final waypoint without my having to wait and watch for them at the waypoint. It only makes sense that they turn face in the direction I set the green inlay with right-click --> rotate method, just like they would if I was doing an immediate move order. I think efthimios's idea of set an extra waypoint in the direction I want them to face just a few pixels away is my best bet for now, unless someone can shed light on the real trick to this, if there is one.