Thread: How to listen to DX music?

How to listen to DX music?

How to listen to DX music?

Hello,

I recently read that someone listened to DX music at school when they were on break or somthing.

I tried looking for the music on the CD with Windows Media Player, but the file is not recognized. How, then do I listen to the music myself?? Do I change the type of file it is? What do I change it to?

Thanks.

Myth101

2. I dont think there is a way to listen to the music from the CD, but I know on DeusEx2Files they have the main menu song.

Ill give you the link when Ive got it...Ive got the song on my PC from that anyway

Bah. Why not have the whole thing!

Some people at the Ion Storm forum uploaded, as MP3s, both the original game's ripped music and the official soundtrack (with some extras to complete the set) that shipped with the GOTY version in the US. All the music in the game should be there in some form or other.

There are a couple of things to explain:

Many tracks are repeated in those directories. The original in-game music was in .umx format and each track includes regular, combat, conversation and death music. The official soundtrack is mainly only the regular music tracks, but there are some separate combat tracks too. So if you want to put these on a CD, do some picking and choosing. I'm mainly going for the official soundtrack because it has higher quality sound, and the combat tracks aren't that memorable anyway.

Word of advice/pet peeve: the Enemy Within track was slightly changed for the official soundtrack and doesn't sound as good. I suggest getting the original track (UNATCOReturn), which is called Opponent Within, just to confuse you.

And if you're on a 56K connection, you might have some trouble getting all the files. The server keeps going down every few minutes, and it'll cut off the download, telling you the file's complete -- when it ain't. Take notice of the file size for each track and make sure you get it all.

Nice. I like the songs. Some of them sound like they could be in a comedy heh.

For Deus Ex:
    Open up UnrealEd (the SDK), which you can get online (it may ship with the GOTY ed, I don't know). Select "Music" from the drop-down menu in the browser on the right of the screen (by default it's on the right) then load the music file you want, as far as I know you can't export the songs to any format windows media player recognises, but you might find some kind of converter online somewhere.

For Deus Ex: IW
    Use the sound drone (can't remember where to get it, but google for it). It allows you to browse every sound file in DX:IW (and ThiefS for that matter) and export the files.

Originally Posted by Random
    Bah. Why not have the whole thing!

Some people at the Ion Storm forum uploaded, as MP3s, both the original game's ripped music and the official soundtrack (with some extras to complete the set) that shipped with the GOTY version in the US. All the music in the game should be there in some form or other.

There are a couple of things to explain:

Many tracks are repeated in those directories. The original in-game music was in .umx format and each track includes regular, combat, conversation and death music. The official soundtrack is mainly only the regular music tracks, but there are some separate combat tracks too. So if you want to put these on a CD, do some picking and choosing. I'm mainly going for the official soundtrack because it has higher quality sound, and the combat tracks aren't that memorable anyway.

Word of advice/pet peeve: the Enemy Within track was slightly changed for the official soundtrack and doesn't sound as good. I suggest getting the original track (UNATCOReturn), which is called Opponent Within, just to confuse you.

And if you're on a 56K connection, you might have some trouble getting all the files. The server keeps going down every few minutes, and it'll cut off the download, telling you the file's complete -- when it ain't. Take notice of the file size for each track and make sure you get it all.
    I like mine better.... http://files.filefront.com/Deus_Ex_S.../fileinfo.html

and no, I didn't steal it from them, I converted them all from UMX to WAV to MP3 with the help of several converting utilities

You could do those things but they require hefty downloads.

If you want to play the music straightforward, and copy the music to WAV format, download the program Modplug and use it to convert. That's for the original Deus Ex, that is.

Some songs on the GOTY cd are slightly different, some better, some not.

Or you could download the "BASS audio libery" extension to Winamp from and listen straight from the .umx files (the "UMX decoder" extension will also work - but it will turn the titles into gibberish when when it plays the file).

This does of course not help you if you want to copy it to a CD or audio player - but it works if you just want to run it on your computer.

hard core tutorial:

go to ebay, check all the listing on "deus ex" searchphrase for about a month (if you're lucky, perhaps for a year).
    find someone who
    a)sells an original release of boxed Deus Ex GOTY WITH the Soundtrack CD for some serious bucks (hope you'll find at least one in your lifetime)
    b)is a moron and sells all kinds of crap with a GOTY Soundtrack CD in between for a couple of bucks (harder to find, but I did just that and got mine for almost nothing)
    c)sells the Soundtrack CD (hard to imagine)

And finally get yourself the one and only original Deus Ex GOTY Soundtrack CD
    Make a copy of it to use in car and stereo systems and save the blody rare CD for your soul for years to come.

(I actually did all of that and I am the lucky owner of The Original)

peace