Thread: Crash Course

Crash Course

So I'm new to this series. I've seen a few games here and there but I don't know what they are or what makes them great. So I figured I'd ask the community. So give me an overview of what the games are like and where I should start with them even. If not, I guess I could always google

Star Ocean is your typical action-JRPG. The stories are very much sci-fi but the games, for the majority, take on more medieval fantasy settings. You also see this through the weapons (swords, bows, etc.). There is also magic involved.

One feature that stands out is the skill system. There are skills not only for combat abilities but item creation as well. Another prominent feature is the Private Action. These are short conversations between the main character and his/her teammates. PAs can affect how your party members act in battle and can also change the ending of the game.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter too much where you start, as they all have different characters and storylines. They exist in the same world and follow a timeline, but they are hardly direct sequels to each other. Star Ocean: The Last Hope for Xbox 360 and PS3 takes place before all other Star Ocean games. Star Ocean: First Departure for the PSP is the next game in the series, followed by Second Evolution, then Till the End of Time. There is also a game called Blue Sphere, but I don't know much about it.

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions, I can try to answer them more specifically.

Blue Sphere is a direct sequel to The Second Story (or Second Evolution on the PSP). Sadly, it was a Japan-only release for the Gameboy Color then re-released - again, only in Japan - as a mobile game. If you wanted to do them chronologically you could, but it really isn't necessary. IF you decide to take up the series and get the original two games in their PSP forms, I'd honestly suggest starting with Till the End of Time. An optional character in the PSP games - Welch - will say things that will make absolutely no sense unless you've played Till the End of Time. Of course... you could just play them then have your questions answered later...