Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Shifter Mod

Shifter Mod

Shifter Mod

Can I get this one stickied? Catman, I'm looking at you.

*UPDATE* Shifter v1.7 Final has been released! You can retrieve it hither, or here, or on fileplanet, eventually. You can also try out various versions of the v1.8 BETA (BETA #2 as I'm writing this) by going to my Savefile Project Folder. Be warned that it is a BETA, so you may encounter glitches. If you do, please email me via the address in the readme and let me know what happened.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with my mod, a brief FAQ-type thing:

So what's this mod all about then?
    Shifter is a "rules set" mod for Deus Ex. Rather than adding new missions, Shifter instead adds to and/or modifies the existing weapons, items, rules, etc. of the game. (Particularly in the area of weapons and items, as I despise when a game has useless weapons in it) It also has a modified multiplayer component, which adds a new inventory system and 89 new playable character models.

How does it work?
    Shifter simply replaces your existing DeusEx.u file with a modified one.

Important Note: In order to play Shifter you need to have the v1112fm patch installed. (The version with Multiplayer support) If you get a critical error about "can't find FloatProperty Streak" then you don't have it installed properly. You can get it here.

Won't that be a problem for playing X mod?
    Actually, no. I've played (as far as I know) all the Deus Ex mods out there and not once has Shifter caused a problem with them. The same rules set changes apply to the mods completely, with the exception of Hotel Carone. (Shifter's new skillpoint system doesn't work, among other things) A few of the changes provide amusing side effects in certain mods though. (e.g. The bots in The Cassandra Project occasionally carry credits)

Another Important Note: If one of the mods you want to play won't start, chances are good that it wasn't installed properly. (Shifter doesn't seem to be as forgiving as unmodified Deus Ex) If you reinstall the mod it should work fine.

So what kind of changes are we talking about specifically?
    As I mentioned, I hate "useless" weapons, so I've tried to "fix" any such weapons. A good example would be Pepper Spray; in unmodified Deus Ex you practically had to stand on the enemy to have it affect them. Now it has a range of about 5 meters. I've done the same for items as well. Zyme, for example, now provides a 60-second "bullet time" effect in addition to a temporary skill boost. (But the hangover's a killer, lemme tell ya)

And because I can't keep my mitts of anything, I've diddled with just about everything else in the game. Many augmentations work slightly differently than before; two have even been consolidated to make room for a new one, and I've even added in the legendary Skull Gun augmentation. Skills now affect more than they did before. (e.g. higher medical skill means that you get more health from water fountains/water coolers) And since there were a few things I liked from Invisible War, I've added a number of "unique" weapons to the game. Railgun, anybody?

Dude, why the hell did you change X? I loved that. Your mod is stupid!
    Unless you can articulate yourself clearly and provide solid, logical reasons why this change is bad, I DON'T CARE. If you don't like it, don't play it.

If you do have some good reasons why you think something should be changed, drop me an e-mail and tell them to me. I'll listen. I might even take your advice. (Really. If you read the Readme you'll notice that a few of the changes were suggested to me by someone else)

What's new in v1.7?

There's a complete changelog included in the download, but here are a few highlights:

First and foremost, Shifter fully supports HDTP Release 1. One you install HDTP (and move one file to the textures directory) Shifter will automatically load up HDTP textures and models. If you don't have HDTP installed the game will run as normal. No muss, no fuss.

Restored another unused conversation (of sorts). It's not particularly important, but it certainly adds to the immersion level of the game.

NPCs will now semi-randomly search out better weapons while they are attacking, and will automatically pick up any they happen to come across during their attack. This makes a number of the UNATCO vs. NSF shootouts much more interesting.

You can now give Miguel weapons from your inventory, and he will use them. Depending on what you pick up it may be worth it to have him follow you around, rather than telling him to stay put while you take care of everything.

There are now "splash" effects when you shoot your weapon into water. (or when you shoot from underwater upwards) The detail of the effect is controlled by the world detail level in the options screen, so the few of you running slower machines will have a way of disabling the effects should they slow you down too much.

You can now store items in your office at UNATCO, and they will still be there when you get back from a mission. This covers ANY inventory item, weapons included, and will keep track of any weapon mods and the like which have been added to the weapon.

And so on and so forth. (Check the Readme for full details)

Enjoy the game with my little brand of tweaks.

Unhappy

GAH! That first link no longer seems to work, and FilePlanet's been messing me about for weeks! Is there any other place to download this mod?

Filefront download added

Yeah, my briefcase has been very weird lately. I'm going to have to talk to SBC about it. In the meantime I've added a filefront download.

Filefront

You don't have to register to get the file, at least according to them.

I keep getting critical errors when i try to run the game with shifter 1.5.1 installed.

Originally Posted by Soulfang
    I keep getting critical errors when i try to run the game with shifter 1.5.1 installed.
    I've heard reports of this. Each time the error meant that somehow the v1112fm patch wasn't installed properly. Try reinstalling Deus Ex and the 1112fm patch. Make sure it's the multiplayer patch, not the singleplayer. Shifter has a modified Multiplayer game included, so you need to have the appropriate files updated to interact with it.

Bump for v1.6

Released v1.6 today. Yeesh it's early. Sleep now.

Is 1.6 RC4 the most recent? Not all of the links are updated... some have only up to version 1.5.

Yo thats cool, i usally play unreal-gold alot, my name on their is predator, i make lots of mod for it. So i know almost ever thing about uscript, etc... I could help u on shifter mod if u need someone else, but i just installed the mulitplayer, which i need to try out. I expect ur mod to be a coop right? That would be cool anyways..... I was thinking of taking the decals script from dues ex, and making them for unreal gold, cause UG needs it. Well if u need me reach me at mikeikemike@hotmail.com, or on UG, my name is [Predator], and on the mplayer dues ex my name is [Daedelus] later all.

I've tried your mod, but it doesn't seem to work at all. I have the shifter 1.6 mod installed alongside the latest deus ex patch WITH the multiplayer, but when I start it up it's just regular deus ex with no changes whatsoever.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? I've followed your readme file to the letter. I've even reinstalled deus ex but it still doesn't work.

With regards to installation

RC4 tried a new installation method which by and far seemed mostly to confuse people, rather than make things easier. RC6 (released today) goes back to the standard install method. Just replace your DeusEx.u and DeusEx.int files with the new ones. (Or, rather, delete your DeusEx.int file)

Special Items, Where?

Anyone want to throw a few hints as to where the special items are. The readme states there is one at the beggining of the game. I am now up to the airfield. Don't want to go looking in every dark corner again looking for them. I have played the game me thinks 6/7 times. Any info welcome.
    Gonna start again cos i was expecting the electrostatic discharge org to disable the laser beams as in DXIW.

Oops, soory. Hi All.

Grim
    Is Ye Alreet

RC7, hooray

Originally Posted by Grimples
    Anyone want to throw a few hints as to where the special items are. The readme states there is one at the beggining of the game. I am now up to the airfield. Don't want to go looking in every dark corner again looking for them. I have played the game me thinks 6/7 times. Any info welcome.
    Gonna start again cos i was expecting the electrostatic discharge org to disable the laser beams as in DXIW.

Oops, soory. Hi All.

Grim
    Actually the Electrostatic Discharge augmentation will disable laser tripwires, provided you are able to actually hit the damn things. Unlike IW the emitters are almost completely flush with the wall, and as such are hard to properly aim at. I find that aiming a bit to the left and slightly upwards of them does the trick; do a little trial and error and you'll see what I mean.

Oh yeah, RC7 released today. Features a wandering laser sight, i.e. the laser sight shows you exactly where your bullet will wind up given your current accuracy.

hello new here anyways just wanted to say that this mod is BRILLIANT

nice stealth skill bonuses and unique weapons

I think my only gripe is I cant seem to find those damned 10mmexp ammo maybe I aint looking hard enough (perhaps a little hint where I can find some)

Warning: Retard Speaking

Just installed the mod using 'advanced' process...awesomely cool mod, many thanks for the work you put into this--it shows.

That said: this may be a simple question, but how does one bind the Alt-Fire function? I've peered in the .ini's as well as the basic setup menu...so if one may tolerate the retardation and spare me the way, that'd be sweet.

Thanks!

[Edit: I used the 'drop/throw weap' key, summoned a flamethrower, and got the nifty exploding-napalm-cannister o' death thing going on, so I'm assuming that's the alt-fire. And, yeah, seeing as how it made me toss the combat knife as well...ahem. I think I've figured it out. I get a cookie?]

Bump for v1.6 Final, also an answer

Originally Posted by IceSamZero
    Just installed the mod using 'advanced' process...awesomely cool mod, many thanks for the work you put into this--it shows.

That said: this may be a simple question, but how does one bind the Alt-Fire function? I've peered in the .ini's as well as the basic setup menu...so if one may tolerate the retardation and spare me the way, that'd be sweet.

Thanks!

[Edit: I used the 'drop/throw weap' key, summoned a flamethrower, and got the nifty exploding-napalm-cannister o' death thing going on, so I'm assuming that's the alt-fire. And, yeah, seeing as how it made me toss the combat knife as well...ahem. I think I've figured it out. I get a cookie?]
    The "drop/throw weap" key entry shouldn't be alt-fire, or rather the third entry shouldn't be "drop/throw weap". If you install Shifter and can't find an alt-fire key then you somehow didn't remove your DeusEx.inT file (note the T, not I) and replace it with the one included. If you're doing the advanced install, you need to make sure you've created a Shifter.inT file by renaming the modified DeusEx.inT included with the mod.

Anyway...

I finally released v1.6 Final today. No, this is not the final version of Shifter, just the final version of v1.6. There will be a v1.7 eventually.

Hi I noticed a problem. When I turn on my light bioaug and quicksave, I'm unable to attack, change weapons, access inventory, disable/enable bioaugs etc. I'm not sure if the same problem occurs with other bioaugs

Lightbulb An email to Yuki

I sent an email to Yuki with questions about this mod but since I am not sure whether or not the addresses I found are current I thought that I'd post this question on the forum, just in case.

The email I typed follows.....

I just tried out Shifter yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I especially appreciated the skill point system rewards for distant headshots. On the Liberty Island scenario I used a sniper rifle and a scoped pistol, stealthed past all the guards, and sniped out everyone on the island from the second-to-top floor of the tower. I actually greatly appreciated the game telling me whether or not I had managed to score a headshot in each case. I also was passionate about the bullet time. I couldn't believe the amount of style the bullet time fighting added to the game! That alone was enough to make Deus Ex entirely fresh and new. Playing this mod made me wish that I'd continued to study coding after high school.

I am a great admirer of this mod but there were a few issues I noticed, and I also have a few questions.

Issues:
    1.) It appears that if I shoot a cat with a tranq dart I get 11 points for this.
    2.) I got points deducted for shooting El Ray in the head after I had already killed the dealer and gotten a LAM from him. (I wanted to maximize the amount of LAMs in my inventory so I both did his mission AND killed him for his LAM.)

Questions:
    1.) According to http://www.it-he.org/deus.htm Deus Ex is supposed to crash if the player character gets too many skill points probably because of the type of variable that is used to keep track of skill points. Did you fix this in Shifter and if not are the extra bonus skill points in Shifter going to risk causing this crash?

2.) In normal Deus Ex I have noticed that food items are a little bit buggy. At the beginning of any game eating food or drinking will restore 2-5 points of health as it is supposed to. I have noticed that if I use food fequently (both through the tool belt in real time and also through the paused inventory) food stops restoring health eventually. Usually this only happens sometime after the first Hell's Kitchen levels. Once this happens food will mysteriously start restoring health again late in the game, usually around the Area 51 levels.

I asked some modders in a IRC chat about this but they claimed that they didn't notice it because they never used food very often. However, you seem to be the kind of guy who, like me, cares about the details, so I thought it might be worth it to ask you if you were aware of this bug and if so whether or not you were able to fix this in Shifter.

3.) What exactly does Alt Firing with a shotgun accomplish? It appears that it just makes JC work the action of the shotgun and discard one round without firing it.

Thanks so much for your kind consideration, your time, and of course such a wonderful mod. I'm not sure if these email addresses I'm using are current or not so I'm also planning to post this at the Eidos Deus Ex forum just in case neither of them work.

Really enjoyed the shifter mod.

I particularly liked the new VOIP conversation at the airfield, talking to Shick in Smuggler's lair, etc.

I also liked the vial of Grey Death that you can pick up and carry around. Just finished my Shifter run through DX, and never found a use for it. Does it have one? I've tried drinking it, of course, but the game's text already explained that JC was immune to the disease.

(If the vial DOES have a use, please don't tell me what it is)

Suggestion, Idea

Hi, you still come here?

I quote you: "I despise when a game has useless weapons in it"
    So do i. Could it be possible to not automatically pick up an item if it is not in your inventory. eg, If i don't have knife in my invo then i will automatically pick one up when i search a body. There are certian items i never use & i have to keep on dropping the bloody things

The Laser Mod
    What have you done! You have crippled this mod!. You have to be two foot away from your target to hit it. I quote you again from the DeusEx.u file; "// add a little random jitter - looks cool!" or is this from the devs. Anybody else complain about this or just me.

Still a great mod & i thank you for it.

Rgards

Grim
    Is Ye Alreet

Reply to several things

Originally Posted by WoundedRonin
    Issues:
    1.) It appears that if I shoot a cat with a tranq dart I get 11 points for this.
    2.) I got points deducted for shooting El Ray in the head after I had already killed the dealer and gotten a LAM from him. (I wanted to maximize the amount of LAMs in my inventory so I both did his mission AND killed him for his LAM.)
    1) I dunno what to say about the cat, except that shooting it with a tranq dart must irritate it enough so that it considers you an enemy, but the initial damage doesn't KO it. That would cause it to be counted as an enemy KO. Dunno why the skillpoints for doing it are so high though, since they're based off of the health of the enemy in question.

2) That issue actually pops up a lot with several characters. The basic problem is that while the game supposedly designates any characters to being neutral to the player by default, the function that checks those alliances (e.g. the one used to set the crosshair color) doesn't take that into account properly, somehow, and assumes most NPCs are friendly by default. To further complicate things, there's some kind of block on setting NPC alliances to neutral via script, so I can't even fix it later on. It's one of the reasons why I'm highly considering removing the skillpoint deduction for friendly kills entirely, or at least for non-specific characters. (The reason why I put it in there was to discourage killing friendly characters for any random inventory they might be carrying)

Originally Posted by WoundedRonin
    Questions:
    1.) According to http://www.it-he.org/deus.htm Deus Ex is supposed to crash if the player character gets too many skill points probably because of the type of variable that is used to keep track of skill points. Did you fix this in Shifter and if not are the extra bonus skill points in Shifter going to risk causing this crash?

2.) In normal Deus Ex I have noticed that food items are a little bit buggy. At the beginning of any game eating food or drinking will restore 2-5 points of health as it is supposed to. I have noticed that if I use food fequently (both through the tool belt in real time and also through the paused inventory) food stops restoring health eventually. Usually this only happens sometime after the first Hell's Kitchen levels. Once this happens food will mysteriously start restoring health again late in the game, usually around the Area 51 levels.

I asked some modders in a IRC chat about this but they claimed that they didn't notice it because they never used food very often. However, you seem to be the kind of guy who, like me, cares about the details, so I thought it might be worth it to ask you if you were aware of this bug and if so whether or not you were able to fix this in Shifter.

3.) What exactly does Alt Firing with a shotgun accomplish? It appears that it just makes JC work the action of the shotgun and discard one round without firing it.
    1) I haven't gone at that specifically, but considering how many skillpoints you get from the allskillpoints cheat I don't think there's any way Shifter could add enough skillpoints to crash the game without the player cheating. I will, however, limit the number to just a little bit over the combined cost for upgrading every skill you have from untrained to master. There's no reason you should need to have any more skillpoints than that.

2) I've heard scattered stuff about the food thing, but I've never been able to reproduce it myself. I suspect this is one of those glitches like the "no music in Hell's Kitchen" glitch that my version doesn't have. I will try to see if there's anything that jumps out at me, but so far as I remember the code for all food items uses the same HealPlayer() function that medkits do. If medkits work and food doesn't, then something really, really weird is going on.

3) Alt-fire double-packs a shell into the chamber, so that when you fire it shoots double the pellets. (and does double the damage) I should put some status notification in there or something, probably.

Originally Posted by Grox
    Really enjoyed the shifter mod.

I particularly liked the new VOIP conversation at the airfield, talking to Shick in Smuggler's lair, etc.

I also liked the vial of Grey Death that you can pick up and carry around. Just finished my Shifter run through DX, and never found a use for it. Does it have one? I've tried drinking it, of course, but the game's text already explained that JC was immune to the disease.

(If the vial DOES have a use, please don't tell me what it is)
    There's no reason or use for the item; I just included it because I felt that since there were small vials of ambrosia, there should be small vials of grey death too.

Hi, you still come here?

I quote you: "I despise when a game has useless weapons in it"
    So do i. Could it be possible to not automatically pick up an item if it is not in your inventory. eg, If i don't have knife in my invo then i will automatically pick one up when i search a body. There are certian items i never use & i have to keep on dropping the bloody things
    I specifically included an exception for combat knives: if you have a better melee weapon it will automatically drop any knives you come across. If you want to pick them up later you just have to check under the body.

The Laser Mod
    What have you done! You have crippled this mod!. You have to be two foot away from your target to hit it. I quote you again from the DeusEx.u file; "// add a little random jitter - looks cool!" or is this from the devs. Anybody else complain about this or just me.
    The laser mod is something I'm still tweaking, and it's a long, difficult process due to a number of considerations. First off, the original laser sight made any weapon it was placed on shoot with 100% accuracy. That is not what a laser sight should do; all a laser sight should do is show you, in advance, where the shot is going to go. Thus, I changed the laser sight so that it would wander around inside your current accuracy range, and made sure the bullet would go exactly where the laser was pointing. That seems simple and all, until I discovered that it actually made it LESS accurate than a normal weapon, because the code that deals with normal weapon accuracy and random bullet spread only uses about the inside 2/3rds of what your reticle shows. Now I'm trying to balance those issues out, somehow, without freaking everybody out about either a) the accuracy going too far down, or b) the reticle changing too much. It's a work in progress; it'll be cleared up by v1.8. What I can use in the meantime are beta testers to tell me what changes work for them and what ones don't. Check the savefile link for the latest beta.

Killing Friendly's

If you want to shoot neutral or friendly NPC's just irritate them, shoot them in the foot a couple of times & they will turn hostile, you can then KO or kill them & get the skills points.

Thanks for the quick reply Y|yukichigai.
    quote: "I specifically included an exception for combat knives". What i was asking is could you make an exception for ALL items? This is my wish . It does get quite irritating every time you search a body you then have to go into your invo & drop several items. I myself mostly only use the stealth pistol & crowbar, & then the Dragon Tooth later on in the game & dispose of the crowbar.
    Is Ye Alreet

Originally Posted by Y|yukichigai
    There's no reason or use for the item; I just included it because I felt that since there were small vials of ambrosia, there should be small vials of grey death too.
    Makes sense. Well, thanks for driving me crazy with the mystery anyway! It was a rare treat to have the original DX story to play through again with a new unanswered question lurking around out there, even if the answer turned out to be innocuous.

Could you make it so that an augmentation canister for an augmentation you already have can act as an upgrade for that augmentation? That was always the one thing about augmentations that I thought made sense but wasn't implemented.

Oh, you already did that.

Does anyone have an md5sum of the relevant files (DeusEx.int and DeusEx.u)? They aren't coming out correctly on my system; unzip complains about them, and starting Deus Ex heedless comes out with the following error:

Code:
    Assertion failed: InPos <= Size [File: ..\..\Core\Inc\FFileManagerWinows.h]
    [Line: 57]

History: FArchiveFileReader::Seek <- ULinkerLoad::Seek <- LoadImportMap <-      ULinkerLoad::UlinkerLoad...
    I've downloaded the file twice and gotten the same result. Maybe it's something to do with my zip utility (info-zip, standard fare on Unix).

Zodiac & Redsun

Will Zodiac & Redsun work with Shifter. I know this has probably been asked but i cannot find it.

Grim

Page 1 of 2 12 Last