Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: FFXIV: Inactive Players

FFXIV: Inactive Players

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1

    Lightbulb The Fix To Everyone's Problems: Inactivity Disconnection

    This worked very well when I played World of Warcraft for over 5 years. Not once did I ever have a problem like this connecting to WOW, or really any other MMO. They need to implement auto-disconnections for anyone that has been inactive on the server for 15 minutes. I really think that the main reason why everyone is having an issue connecting is because people are leaving their game on all day because they are scared they will not be able to re-log in when they get back home to play. The servers are always full and the same error is popping up for everyone because fools are staying online when they aren't even playing. Another possible fix is always keeping people in a queue no matter how long the position is, that way at least people know how long it is going to take them to log in. Don't just kick people back out to the start page and make them constantly keep trying to log in again, even WOW always had a queue that took forever on high populated servers, but at least you had an idea of when you can play and you can go take care of things until than.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1
    Agreed x a million. I don't care if my queue is 30 minutes or an hour... as long as I can do something for that time besides clicking buttons trying to get in the entire time. And queue times wouldn't be so ridiculous if people who aren't even actively playing weren't taking up valuable space on the server!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ipswich (UK)
    Posts
    924
    This topic has been posted so many times already and it's becoming tiresome, there is a SEARCH function on the forums which people should try using instead of creating yet more posts covering the same old conversations.

    I'm not directly having a go at this topics creator, you just happen to be at the top of the forum listing at the moment.

    Yes we all know they should have a AFK kicker but as also stated in the multiple duplicate threads, this can be easily circumvented by PC users using macros etc which would move their character every so often. It's not hard to make your character jump every 5-10 mins etc so it still wouldn't solve the issues.

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by MFDOOM4ever41
    This worked very well when I played World of Warcraft for over 5 years.
    No it doesn't it fails abysmally, as a cursory look at the WOW PVP forums and the endless complaints about PVP AFKers amply demonstrates.

    It also didn't work in Rift when it switched to F2P back in June and the servers got flooded, Rift has had an AFK Kicker since day one, it was removed for a long time till the F2P launch when it was re-applied: the servers got overwhelmed.

    It's a placebo, it doesn't work, anyone who wants to defeat it can do so with a simple piece of cardboard for many games, for others a quick 'G' keyboard macro or other such system is all you need .. or simply download an 'afkbot' of your choice.

    It is NOT the solution to the problem of over-subscribed servers, which is what is TEMPORARILY happening: if a game survives only due to AFK kicking as a permanent solution it hasn't long to live.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ipswich (UK)
    Posts
    924
    Even if they were using a AFK system it would only generally affect PS3 users since you can't really do a 'spam XX button' macro on the console, but could still be beaten by a rubber band around the analogue stick making your character run in circles or against a wall (I used this method to max my sneak skill on Skyrim lol).

  6. #6
    Precisely, even servers that try to analyse input to try to detect anti-AFK activity are easily defeated because some perfectly legitimate actions players can take for a long time are pretty simple: and if the detector tries to use a 'travel map' to detect auto-looping, well you use a bot that's programmed to deal with that, but to my knowledge there's only one MMO that tries that hard to detect AFKers, needless to say anyone who really wants to AFK easily does so.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Lilianae
    Agreed x a million. I don't care if my queue is 30 minutes or an hour... as long as I can do something for that time besides clicking buttons trying to get in the entire time. And queue times wouldn't be so ridiculous if people who aren't even actively playing weren't taking up valuable space on the server!
    Used macro to try logging in... Not a single queue appeared after 2 hrs (thankfully I was in other games while the macro was running).

    The queue system is ed, the afk system is ed. So many people boasting of being level 50 or higher cos they didn't log out and were lucky enough not to get kicked from server. It's been more than 30 hours since the server very nicely booted me while I was in a dungeon. I can't even fricking see my character!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ipswich (UK)
    Posts
    924
    Originally Posted by KyotoKisses
    It's been more than 30 hours since the server very nicely booted me while I was in a dungeon. I can't even fricking see my character!
    I've had this and is why I created a 2nd character on a JP server so no matter what (unless everything goes down) I can play. Yes I understand people wanting to max their main toon but I'm happy to just play regardless

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    26
    so sucks that they didnt expect so many people should of had a back up plane ready to be played just in case it did happen well cause it realy did happen

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    26
    Originally Posted by Hippy_Pickle
    I've had this and is why I created a 2nd character on a JP server so no matter what (unless everything goes down) I can play. Yes I understand people wanting to max their main toon but I'm happy to just play regardless
    i cant even play on my other toon lol and my main is on a jp server and my off is on a na server lol

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    26
    i realy thingk its glitched on error 1017 pressed start now thats all it says i exit game same thing.......? wtf

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ipswich (UK)
    Posts
    924
    Originally Posted by pimhead
    i cant even play on my other toon lol and my main is on a jp server and my off is on a na server lol
    Never reyt mate, why they bundled both the NA & EU servers together (in bloody Canada) is beyond me. I've seen a lot of people from the states who say that the majority of MMO's have east and west coast servers for the US. The EU ones should be in the EU, this way then there would be 3 areas people could try but if the poo Canadian centre fudges up then the entire of the gamerbase outside of Japan is stuffed.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    26
    bah where im from there aint even a server. aka australia danm those laws thats why im on a jp server cause there aint a au server

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ipswich (UK)
    Posts
    924
    Ah that makes sense, I've seen a lot of Aussies say they use the JP servers for best results. It does feel like Australia is the forgotten world of gaming and you pay over the odds for games, and then there's the whole R18 debarkle! I go on the AU Kotaku site all the time as for some reason it's the only one my work PC doesn't block access to!

  15. #15
    My main is in JP, and I can't even load . Sigh... All I managed to do was log in for like 10 minutes, get 1/2 a bar (to level 15), and bye bye again. Staring at my stealth char.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21
    Inactivity timers will not be 100% reliable, but they do not need to be, they merely need to be reliable enough that players stop thinking that that they need to leave their characters logged into the world 24/7. Not everyone has a Logitech G series keyboard, or its equivalent, so not everyone has the ability to create keyboard macro's that prevent auto logout after x minutes of inactivity. Personally I believe that any reduction in the number of players logged into the world would be a good thing.

    I logged into the game earlier, and saw that 11 people from my guild were online, however all but me were actually afk and had been for many hours, I know that some of them were unable to get to play in the last day, so that would mean their character has been in the world afk for a very long time.

    Perhaps they should start rolling 6 hours restarts for each server. By doing this by server, rather than all at once, they lower the impact on the login servers...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ipswich (UK)
    Posts
    924
    You don't need to have any fancy keyboards to avoid an AFK kicker, like was mentioned further up this thread you can beat it with easily obtained bot programs for PC users or you could get one of those 'bobbing bird' things that would just keep hitting a single key on your keyboard. Also I mentioned that you could easily avoid an AFK on the PS3 with the use of a rubber band on your joypad.

    As for 6hr server restarts, are you frikking mental?! As if people weren't getting frustrated enough already you would want a system that boots everyone every 6 hours?! That'll never happen and would make things worse!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21
    Originally Posted by Hippy_Pickle
    You don't need to have any fancy keyboards to avoid an AFK kicker, like was mentioned further up this thread you can beat it with easily obtained bot programs for PC users or you could get one of those 'bobbing bird' things that would just keep hitting a single key on your keyboard. Also I mentioned that you could easily avoid an AFK on the PS3 with the use of a rubber band on your joypad.

    As for 6hr server restarts, are you frikking mental?! As if people weren't getting frustrated enough already you would want a system that boots everyone every 6 hours?! That'll never happen and would make things worse!
    How would it makes things worse? The servers are full because of the number of players in the world. A very large percentage of those players are afk for extended periods of time. Rolling restarts would result in less 1017 errors, If the choice is login every 6 hours, or spend hours trying to login, fail and being faced with 1017 errors, I know which one I would choose....and it most certainly would not be the latter.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ipswich (UK)
    Posts
    924
    Originally Posted by Hejjin
    How would it makes things worse? The servers are full because of the number of players in the world. A very large percentage of those players are afk for extended periods of time. Rolling restarts would result in less 1017 errors, If the choice is login every 6 hours, or spend hours trying to login, fail and being faced with 1017 errors, I know which one I would choose....and it most certainly would not be the latter.
    Have you seriously got nothing better to do than spout nonsense? So take all the current registration and log on rage on the internet right now and then add the fact that people finally get on and start going through a dungeon (which can take over an hour) and they get right to the boss and then BOOM, your stupid 6hr reset comes into effect. So registration and log on rage would be nothing compared to the rage of that!

    If you'd chose to get booted every 6 hours even if you're in the middle of doing something then you sir should be in a padded room...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1
    hi i have just bought this game, and i just can't entry in the game because every time there are some problems with the server.......it's normal? how can i do?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21
    Originally Posted by Hippy_Pickle
    Have you seriously got nothing better to do than spout nonsense? So take all the current registration and log on rage on the internet right now and then add the fact that people finally get on and start going through a dungeon (which can take over an hour) and they get right to the boss and then BOOM, your stupid 6hr reset comes into effect. So registration and log on rage would be nothing compared to the rage of that!

    If you'd chose to get booted every 6 hours even if you're in the middle of doing something then you sir should be in a padded room...
    Would it be frustrating for a server to reset whilst doing a dungeon? Yes it would, though I say it should be easy to have system wide messages that announces the time of the next reset, so everyone would be in a position to see when it was occurring. I agree it would be frustrating, but I think it would be less frustrating than the 1017 errors. I know that there have been people in my guild that spent in excess of 6 hours attempting to login only to constantly get 1017 errors.

  22. #22
    Originally Posted by MFDOOM4ever41
    This worked very well when I played World of Warcraft for over 5 years. Not once did I ever have a problem like this connecting to WOW, or really any other MMO. They need to implement auto-disconnections for anyone that has been inactive on the server for 15 minutes. I really think that the main reason why everyone is having an issue connecting is because people are leaving their game on all day because they are scared they will not be able to re-log in when they get back home to play. The servers are always full and the same error is popping up for everyone because fools are staying online when they aren't even playing. Another possible fix is always keeping people in a queue no matter how long the position is, that way at least people know how long it is going to take them to log in. Don't just kick people back out to the start page and make them constantly keep trying to log in again, even WOW always had a queue that took forever on high populated servers, but at least you had an idea of when you can play and you can go take care of things until than.
    Hey I totally agree when I have been Able to get on all I see is PC players boasting that they have been AFK for more than 11hours a time sort it out and get implements in place for kicking inactive players this is your problem not server over loads PC players remaining online all the time!!!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ipswich (UK)
    Posts
    924
    Final point I'm going to make on this as it's beginning to become a bore battling with total nonsense suggestions, server resets and AFK kickers are not the solution, more servers, increased server capacity and stable servers are the solution to all the XXXX error codes.

    End of, Hippy out.....

  24. #24

    FFXIV: Inactive Players

    Please sort this out as this is the main problem when I do get on the amount of people sat around the athernet is unbelievable not moving at all! PC players boast about being afk for more than 12 hours a time! I spent good money on this and want to play the game not sit here trying to login for hours which is what I am doing all the time get it sorted or give me a world move so I can move to the very bottom world where hopefully it's not full of afk PC players or do I need to get logged in and never turn off my play station it's becoming more than a joke now and this is a remake what a bismal effort so far thanks sq enix for bending me over but you forgot the lipstick lol.

  25. #25
    Do what i do get them killed it funny lol

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Tags for this Thread